Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 07-16-2007, 04:10 PM   #1
Darth Ape
Banned

Darth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to behold
Default My co-worker just won the $126M Mega Millions Jackpot

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont....5b9c66b1.html

They announced today. He found out last week but told no one. He was mobbed by about 15 poeple after the announcement and took off... permanently.
Darth Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-2007, 04:24 PM   #2
Janett_Reno
Platinum Member

Janett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to all

Wow, could he get us season tickets to the Mav games? Congrats and as close as i have heard was a good friend of mine hit 1 million pennies earlier this week on a slot mahine. 10 Grand and 3 grand went for taxes.
Janett_Reno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 04:27 PM   #3
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

That is nuts!

I wouldn't tell a soul if i could help it. You can keep it private if you want to right?
Old 07-16-2007, 04:35 PM   #4
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

Mother.......
Old 07-16-2007, 05:18 PM   #5
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

One less thing...
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 05:59 PM   #6
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

DubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant future

Random question- how old is the guy? Is it someone that now can retire at 25, or someone that's close to retirement?
DubOverdose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 06:06 PM   #7
Darth Ape
Banned

Darth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to behold

early thirties. he took the annuity option. About $6M payout per year for the next 26 years.
Darth Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 06:08 PM   #8
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

i am going to get him!
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 07:04 PM   #9
bobatundi
Golden Member

bobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Ape
early thirties. he took the annuity option. About $6M payout per year for the next 26 years.
bad idea. the discount rate they use for cash value option is only about 5%. easy to beat that on that kind of money (lump sump would have been $71.5MM).

yes, these are sour grapes.
bobatundi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 07:32 PM   #10
MissNU

MissNU has a spectacular aura aboutMissNU has a spectacular aura aboutMissNU has a spectacular aura about

I would make very good friends with this co-worker of yours........
MissNU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 08:07 PM   #11
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

Any finance student with even a basic understanding of money knows that a dollar today is worth more than a dollar tomorrow. No telling how much that dude screwed himself out of by not taking a lump sum now, IMO.
Old 07-16-2007, 08:14 PM   #12
Nemesis
Diamond Member

Nemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkadirkastan
One less thing...
He can now mow lawns for free.
Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 08:55 PM   #13
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

and that is as close as I will get.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 09:41 PM   #14
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocelot_ark
Any finance student with even a basic understanding of money knows that a dollar today is worth more than a dollar tomorrow. No telling how much that dude screwed himself out of by not taking a lump sum now, IMO.
The lottery company pays the same amount of money no matter what. You can either get that lump sum, or they will divide the money and place it in bonds that all mature to the same number of dollars each year. The bonds that mature sooner get more of the initial money because they have less time to mature. The interest on the bonds is set at a constant rate and is not affected by the market, so the lottery company is indifferent about which method of payment you choose.

The market rate does impact the winner though, because that will determine the purchasing power of the dollar amount he receives each year. If the market rate is slower than the rate of interest on the bonds, then the bonds increase in value each year and the winner made the correct decision to receive yearly payments. But if the reverse is true, then the lump sum would have been better. Since the rate of the bonds is supposed to be an estimate of the market value, either situation may arise. It's a risk either way.

This is NOT a question of whether one should receive $126M now, or $126M divided up over a long period of time. That question is just too easy.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:51 PM   #15
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

i would have taken the lump sum, gone on some crazy lindsay lohan/paris hilton drug/ alcohol party craze for a month, dropped $3-5 mil, contracted AIDS...

but it would have been one hell of a ride....
Old 07-16-2007, 10:38 PM   #16
bobatundi
Golden Member

bobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkadirkastan
The lottery company pays the same amount of money no matter what. You can either get that lump sum, or they will divide the money and place it in bonds that all mature to the same number of dollars each year. The bonds that mature sooner get more of the initial money because they have less time to mature. The interest on the bonds is set at a constant rate and is not affected by the market, so the lottery company is indifferent about which method of payment you choose.

The market rate does impact the winner though, because that will determine the purchasing power of the dollar amount he receives each year. If the market rate is slower than the rate of interest on the bonds, then the bonds increase in value each year and the winner made the correct decision to receive yearly payments. But if the reverse is true, then the lump sum would have been better. Since the rate of the bonds is supposed to be an estimate of the market value, either situation may arise. It's a risk either way.

This is NOT a question of whether one should receive $126M now, or $126M divided up over a long period of time. That question is just too easy.
The choice was $126MM in 26 annual installments, or $71.5MM lump sum. The lottery company is indeed indifferent as explained above. This is equivalent to about a 5.25% discount rate. So you have to figure, can I get a better return on my money over time than 5.25%. The S&P 500 has averaged 11.5% annual rate of return over the last 35 years--so, I daresay, yes. Is it riskier? Of course. Not suggesting you put all $71MM (call it $44MM after tax) in an index fund...but in theory you could and you'd be better off in the long run.

Additionally, you could party like a rock star now with the lump sum.
Old 07-16-2007, 10:45 PM   #17
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

He may have bought a ticket without even thinking about it. I don't know about you, but I certainly wouldn't fret over the ramifications if I were in his shoes.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 11:28 PM   #18
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobatundi
The choice was $126MM in 26 annual installments, or $71.5MM lump sum. The lottery company is indeed indifferent as explained above. This is equivalent to about a 5.25% discount rate. So you have to figure, can I get a better return on my money over time than 5.25%. The S&P 500 has averaged 11.5% annual rate of return over the last 35 years--so, I daresay, yes. Is it riskier? Of course. Not suggesting you put all $71MM (call it $44MM after tax) in an index fund...but in theory you could and you'd be better off in the long run.

Excellent. Thank you for filling in the numbers, I had no idea what they were.
Old 07-17-2007, 08:26 AM   #19
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah..I'm sure the guy is kicking himself in the pants for *only* getting 6 million for the next 26 years. But discount rate aside, if you die while you are collecting the annuity, what happens to the rest of it? Is it paid to your estate?

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 09:39 AM   #20
MissNU

MissNU has a spectacular aura aboutMissNU has a spectacular aura aboutMissNU has a spectacular aura about

Most likely paid to the estate unless you have a beneficiary designated?
MissNU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 10:00 AM   #21
bobatundi
Golden Member

Pretty sure the annuity is payable to your heirs. As Dirkadirkastan pointed out, the lottery is paying the same amount either way--they're either paying a lump sum or buying bonds with varying maturity dates. Otherwise the annual payment option would ALWAYS be stupid.

And no, I wouldn't complain about $6MM a year for 26 years either. I don't expect the average lottery ticket purchaser to grasp the finer points of discounting cashflows. Of course, I bought a ticket for this one. Lump sum option, natch.
Old 07-17-2007, 05:19 PM   #22
MavsX
Diamond Member

lucky bastard
Old 07-17-2007, 05:44 PM   #23
OzMavs
Platinum Member

OzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobatundi

Wow. Not that I'd complain if I won, but I'd want my 126 million up fornt!!

And you guys get taxed on your lottery wins? Well, we don't get 126 million lotteries in Australia, but we don't get taxed on them either!

I'll buy you a drink: HERE

NOW WITH FREE REP WITH EVERY DRINK!!
OzMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 08:15 PM   #24
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

its not 126 million up front.

what a lucky guy, damn.

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote