Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 04-27-2007, 10:43 AM   #1
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute
Default The Official 'What Instrument do you play?' Thread

Now I realize that the musician community and the hard core Sports nut community rarely intersect, but as one of those people myself I thought I'd throw this out there and watch it become the greatest failed bit in history.

(I'm really trying to out all the ex-high school band nerds.... )

As for me....

Guitar
Bass
enough Piano to list it here....sort of.... I suck at reading.
(Mandolin, and Ukulele...but those don't really count)
Old 04-27-2007, 10:45 AM   #2
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

The kazoo.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 10:46 AM   #3
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

I play the guitar....... not that great at it, but I have fun. I stick to easy songs. I really like the bass, and there's a good chance I might pick one up, but I'll probably be picking up an acoustic before that.
Old 04-27-2007, 10:52 AM   #4
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

1 year of Saxaphone lessons....annnnd that's it.

So Flac is the rare mix of computer/sports/music nerd. Don't see that too often.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 11:08 AM   #5
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32
1 year of Saxaphone lessons....annnnd that's it.

So Flac is the rare mix of computer/sports/music nerd. Don't see that too often.
I'm a renaissance nerd.
Old 04-27-2007, 11:12 AM   #6
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

I play a litte guitar.
Old 04-27-2007, 11:13 AM   #7
irontoad
Golden Member

irontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to all

Mainly piano/keyboard, although I used to play guitar and bass fairly decently... I've also got a collection of instruments that I've tried to play at one point in time, but gave up on... harp, dulcimer, ukelin, clarinet and mandolin...

Do you write any music, Flaco?

Last edited by irontoad; 04-27-2007 at 11:18 AM.
irontoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 11:17 AM   #8
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Quote:
Originally Posted by irontoad
Mainly piano, although I used to play guitar and bass fairly decently... I've also got a collection of instruments that I've tried to play at one point in time, but gave up on... harp, dulcimer, ukelin, clarinet and mandolin...
So...like....you have a harp sitting around your house?

My wife tried to teach me how to play some notes on her Clarinet.... didn't work out too well.
Old 04-27-2007, 11:27 AM   #9
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold

I used to play piano...when my brother & I stopped taking lessons, my mom sold our piano. I still kinda miss it actually.
Quote:
(I'm really trying to out all the ex-high school band nerds.... )
Hey! That's me! Well, sort of. I played flute in junior high & in one year of marching band in high school. Marching band in Texas is no fun. Practice after school, in the hundred-degree heat sometimes... Also, I kinda sucked at flute, let's be real. And when we marched, I really sucked, so I didn't play when we were doing the formations, only when we were standing still.
Old 04-27-2007, 11:38 AM   #10
irontoad
Golden Member

irontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco
So...like....you have a harp sitting around your house?

My wife tried to teach me how to play some notes on her Clarinet.... didn't work out too well.
It's not a full-sizer, it's about 1/3 the size of a typical one...
Old 04-27-2007, 11:40 AM   #11
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Where is Psychedelic Fuzz when you need him?
Old 04-27-2007, 11:44 AM   #12
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Quote:
Originally Posted by irontoad
Do you write any music, Flaco?
I used to. If you could call it that. I had a band in high school/early college where we wrote some original hard rock kind of stuff. A few memorable guitar riffs here and there, nothing very good. Listening back to the recordings, it's quite bad.

I'll write something and record it every now and then for my wife, just me and the acoustic, but not very often. I wish I had more time, but between work and marriage and sports and the band I'm in now (cover band), life destroys creativity.
Old 04-27-2007, 11:46 AM   #13
Smiles
Diamond Member

Smiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud of

"I play the voice". Actually, I used to sing in choir and solos at church, but about half-way through college I really lost my capacity and range. I don't really know how that happened.

Played around w/the guitar, and took a semester of piano, in college.

Current: Didgeridoo - I don't even practice it, but it looks cool (hand painted).

If I ever quit this day-job I'll do all the fun things I dream of.

Last edited by Smiles; 04-27-2007 at 11:46 AM.
Smiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 11:54 AM   #14
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Speaking of playing instruments.... both of my daughters started Piano lessons this year. Last night was their first recital. Both did an awesome job. My youngest daughter played "Baa Baa Black Sheep" which sounds really easy but you need to know that she reworked(I guess you call it rewriting.... not sure) the ending so for her age and little bit of experience was a big deal.
Old 04-27-2007, 11:55 AM   #15
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future

Xerxes told me Sike plays the skin flute.
Old 04-27-2007, 11:59 AM   #16
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalcity
Xerxes told me Sike plays the skin flute.
Well we managed 14 posts without a gay joke. I guess that's not bad
Old 04-27-2007, 12:01 PM   #17
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future

You're welcome.
Old 04-27-2007, 12:01 PM   #18
TripleDipping
Diamond Member

TripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud of

I play the guitar, bass, drums, and a little piano/keyboard. What I'm good at is bass. I played bass for a couple of bands when I was living in Fort Worth. Did some gigs around the Metroplex and had tons of fun. Those were my "rock star" years... yeah.
TripleDipping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 12:03 PM   #19
left texas
Golden Member

left texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond repute

Guitar want to listen:http://markmarsha.homestead.com/guitar.html
left texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 12:06 PM   #20
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2sarajevo
Speaking of playing instruments.... both of my daughters started Piano lessons this year. Last night was their first recital. Both did an awesome job. My youngest daughter played "Baa Baa Black Sheep" which sounds really easy but you need to know that she reworked(I guess you call it rewriting.... not sure) the ending so for her age and little bit of experience was a big deal.
That's awesome u2. I wish I had started with music when I was younger. It wasn't until I was 16 that randomly decided I wanted to play guitar.

I look forward to pushing music on my own kid some day Seriously, I worry about that....I see the parents who make the kids practice practice practice, and then the kids don't like it. How do you make sure they stick with it and still enjoy it?
Old 04-27-2007, 12:08 PM   #21
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

thumbs up left texas....
Old 04-27-2007, 12:12 PM   #22
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

Quote:
How do you make sure they stick with it and still enjoy it?
So far both daughters have been self motivated (mostly). The instructor is a dynamic personality so I am convinced that is the biggest reason. We don't have a Piano yet (about to move so we are waiting until we get in the new house for obvious reasons). We bought a keyboard and that thing is on from the time I get home until it's book time (which precedes bed time). I think I'm going to have to invest in another keyboard if we don't get our house sold quickly enough.
Old 04-27-2007, 12:21 PM   #23
mkat
Platinum Member

mkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to behold

guitar, bass, piano.

i'd love to take up saxaphone and trumpet, but i think i may be too old at this point.
mkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 12:29 PM   #24
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

I used to play a mean recorder back in middle school!
Old 04-27-2007, 12:31 PM   #25
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Wink

I can also play the thimbles, the triangle, the wood block, the maracas, the kazoo, the shaker, the cowbell, the tamborine, the gong......
Old 04-27-2007, 01:05 PM   #26
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

That's good to hear, flaco. Because, you know, we can always use more cowbell.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 01:10 PM   #27
jleefilled
Platinum Member

jleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant future

Cello, a little Piano...
jleefilled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 01:24 PM   #28
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
That's good to hear, flaco. Because, you know, we can always use more cowbell.
Old 04-27-2007, 01:25 PM   #29
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Quote:
Originally Posted by jleefilled
Cello, a little Piano...
That awesome. I would love to learn the Cello. It is a really really beautiful instrument. Kind of expensive though.
Old 04-27-2007, 01:49 PM   #30
jleefilled
Platinum Member

jleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant future

Quote:
That awesome. I would love to learn the Cello. It is a really really beautiful instrument. Kind of expensive though.
Yeah, I like it, but if I had a do-over on what string instrument I'd learn, I'd learn the viola. I appreciate the viola's sad sound.

About the price of the cello, yeah, I feel sorry for my parents I didn't turn out to be Yo-Yo Ma.
jleefilled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 02:38 PM   #31
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Trumpet
Susaphone
Baritone
French Horn.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 03:16 PM   #32
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3
Trumpet
Susaphone
Baritone
French Horn.
You must think he is pretty sexy huh:

I am suprised flute didn't make the list band geek!

Last edited by Male30Dan; 04-27-2007 at 03:16 PM.
Male30Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 03:25 PM   #33
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

The non-musician feels so threatened....
Old 04-27-2007, 03:29 PM   #34
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

I used to be nationally good on the fiddle
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 03:33 PM   #35
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINtastic
The kazoo.
Stole my line you did.

Actually I played piano back in the day.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 03:41 PM   #36
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Let's see, I have the DVD, MP3's and CD player down. Pretty good with tape and 8 tracks. Vinal , I can still work with 33's,45's, and even some 78's I can play. FM I have down pretty good, but I am a little weak on the AM.

Other than this, I played various instruments eons ago, but don't claim to play any of them anymore.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson

Last edited by dalmations202; 04-27-2007 at 03:42 PM.
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 03:42 PM   #37
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
The non-musician feels so threatened....
I am the farthest thing from a "non-musician!" A recorder is basically a clarinet without the bells and whistles!

Last edited by Male30Dan; 04-27-2007 at 03:42 PM.
Old 04-27-2007, 03:43 PM   #38
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Dan is tone deaf and color blind and everyone knows it.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 03:44 PM   #39
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Male23Dan
I am the farthest thing from a "non-musician!" A recorder is basically a clarinet without the bells and whistles!
Cool, I know what a recorder is, I have 3 children who played them when they were in the 3rd grade. They are a whistle, clarinet, flute combination.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 03:44 PM   #40
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalmations202
Vinal, I can still work with 33's,45's, and even some 78's I can play.
Where do you get your vinal these days?

Last edited by Male30Dan; 04-27-2007 at 03:46 PM.