Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 01-26-2020, 09:51 PM   #1
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I’m saddened by this but what Cuban is doing is silly. Are they going to do that every time an NBA legend dies?

Last edited by Murphy3; 01-26-2020 at 09:51 PM.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 10:13 PM   #2
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3 View Post
Yeah, I’m saddened by this but what Cuban is doing is silly. Are they going to do that every time an NBA legend dies?
Well if you think about it this is different. This is arguably the best player of all time dying in the prime of his life. I don’t think it’s ever happened. But I still think Cuban is doing too much. It comes across as selfish on his part. Do this a year from now and I could respect it.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 11:28 AM   #3
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtownsfinest View Post
Well if you think about it this is different. This is arguably the best player of all time dying in the prime of his life. I don’t think it’s ever happened. But I still think Cuban is doing too much. It comes across as selfish on his part. Do this a year from now and I could respect it.
Yes, it's different..and I can't really think of anyone worth listening to that believes that he's the best player in the history of the NBA... Top 10..probably so. The best?

It's happened in other sports. It truly is sad, but Cuban is off base doing this.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 02:28 PM   #4
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3 View Post
Yes, it's different..and I can't really think of anyone worth listening to that believes that he's the best player in the history of the NBA... Top 10..probably so. The best?

It's happened in other sports. It truly is sad, but Cuban is off base doing this.
I don't think he was saying that Kobe is the best player of all time. He's saying Kobe is the best player to ever die so young. And I think that's absolutely true. And I can't think of any comparison in any other sport. Walter Payton maybe? But as great as Payton was, even he wasn't the global icon that Kobe was.

If I owned the Mavs, I personally wouldn't do this, but I don't see why it should bother anyone. Kobe was NOT just any player- nor did he die under normal circumstances. and this has not and will not happen when just any NBA player or even NBA legend dies. Additionally, Kobe had a long history with Cuban and the Mavs personally. It's obvious Kobe meant something personal to Cuban that other players don't. I don't think Cuban would do the same for any other player, really- even Lebron or Shaq. MAYBE Duncan just because the Mavs and Spurs have so much history.

Last edited by Thespiralgoeson; 01-27-2020 at 02:41 PM.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 04:23 PM   #5
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson View Post
I don't think he was saying that Kobe is the best player of all time. He's saying Kobe is the best player to ever die so young. And I think that's absolutely true. And I can't think of any comparison in any other sport. Walter Payton maybe? But as great as Payton was, even he wasn't the global icon that Kobe was.

If I owned the Mavs, I personally wouldn't do this, but I don't see why it should bother anyone. Kobe was NOT just any player- nor did he die under normal circumstances. and this has not and will not happen when just any NBA player or even NBA legend dies. Additionally, Kobe had a long history with Cuban and the Mavs personally. It's obvious Kobe meant something personal to Cuban that other players don't. I don't think Cuban would do the same for any other player, really- even Lebron or Shaq. MAYBE Duncan just because the Mavs and Spurs have so much history.
I think Cuban did it because of the relationship/rivalry they had. Cuban wasn’t around for MJ, so it doesn’t make much sense to retire 23, but since Cuban owned the team all through Kobe’s career I get it.
BPo001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 05:19 PM   #6
NewMexiMav

NewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to behold

As a Mavs fan, I obviously rooted against Kobe his whole career. But my respect for him and his work ethic grew over the years, to the point that I truly admired him and held his accomplishments right up there with MJ.

The thing I appreciated most about Kobe late in his career was his sincere respect and appreciation for Dirk. His appearance in Dirk's documentary spoke volumes. And who can forget four years ago almost to the day when Dirk hit the game winner against the Lakers at Staples Center and Kobe gave him an approving nod and a pat on the back from the Laker bench. Greatness knows greatness!

RIP
NewMexiMav is offline   Reply With Quote