Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 07-26-2009, 12:04 AM   #1
pepe

pepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to all
Default Drew Gooden...Dallas here I come!

Gooden head it our way

http://twitter.com/DrewGooden

Last edited by pepe; 07-26-2009 at 12:04 AM.
pepe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-2009, 12:12 AM   #2
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

dammit.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls

Last edited by mary; 07-26-2009 at 03:19 PM.
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 12:13 AM   #3
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
Diamond Member

MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant future

lol
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 12:15 AM   #4
CadBane
Banned

CadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond repute

I can haz cancer?
CadBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 12:15 AM   #5
Jon Avalon
Platinum Member

Jon Avalon is a name known to allJon Avalon is a name known to allJon Avalon is a name known to allJon Avalon is a name known to allJon Avalon is a name known to allJon Avalon is a name known to allJon Avalon is a name known to allJon Avalon is a name known to allJon Avalon is a name known to allJon Avalon is a name known to allJon Avalon is a name known to all

Dammit, wanted warrick instead. Oh well. Never really liked him, but meh hope he can help in our system. and hope we didn't have to pay much.
Old 07-26-2009, 12:18 AM   #6
MaVs 41 BaLler
Golden Member

MaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud of

Its not a verified account so im not going to believe it yet
Old 07-26-2009, 12:20 AM   #7
Jon Avalon
Platinum Member

Jon Avalon is a name known to allJon Avalon is a name known to allJon Avalon is a name known to allJon Avalon is a name known to allJon Avalon is a name known to allJon Avalon is a name known to allJon Avalon is a name known to allJon Avalon is a name known to allJon Avalon is a name known to allJon Avalon is a name known to allJon Avalon is a name known to all

Fish/DB twit and forums, and cubes twitter said the same thing. Cubes is legit as well so it has to be at least true.

http://twitter.com/mcuban

http://twitter.com/fishsports

Last edited by Jon Avalon; 07-26-2009 at 12:21 AM.
Jon Avalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 12:22 AM   #8
Jon Avalon
Platinum Member

And is now on espn.com

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4356529
Old 07-26-2009, 12:24 AM   #9
Thomas86
Golden Member

Thomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to all

Maybe Rick Carlisle can bring out the Good in Drew Gooden....Rick Carlisle is smart and just because Gooden sucked in one system doesn't mean he's gonna suck in another.
Thomas86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 12:25 AM   #10
StackAttack
Platinum Member

StackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud of

...That's nearly the full MLE, isn't it? I don't hate the guy, but...really?
Old 07-26-2009, 12:26 AM   #11
monty55555
Platinum Member

monty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Sources: Gooden to sign 1-year deal

The Dallas Mavericks have struck a deal with unrestricted free agent Drew Gooden to make use of some of the money they got back when Orlando matched their offer sheet earlier this month to restricted free agent Marcin Gortat.

Gooden announced via his Twitter feed shortly past midnight Saturday that he is signing with the Mavericks. "Dallas here I come," he wrote.

Sources with knowledge of the deal told ESPN.com that Gooden is receiving a one-year deal for $4.5 million with incentives that will likely take it beyond $5 million by season's end. A formal announcement is expected Monday or Tuesday.

Gooden had previously announced via Twitter on Friday that he would be "making my decision tomorrow on which team I will be playing for." Sources said that Gooden had narrowed his final choices to Dallas, Cleveland and Charlotte.

Despite injuries that cost him 31 games last season, Gooden was highly coveted in February after negotiating a buyout with the Sacramento Kings and wound up signing with the San Antonio Spurs. It's believed that he'll get a shot at starting at center for the Mavericks, after that spot had been earmarked for Gortat with a five-year, $34 million offer sheet early in free agency.

Although he had a minimal impact in San Antonio's first-round loss to Dallas -- averaging 7.3 points and 3.8 rebounds in 17.8 minutes -- Gooden fared better in 19 regular-season games with the Spurs, averaging 9.8 points and 4.4 rebounds in just 16.8 minutes per game.

Gooden posted a double-double (12 points and 13 rebounds) in his only game with the Kings after arriving with Andres Nocioni in Sacramento as part of the deal that sent Brad Miller and John Salmons to the Bulls.

The Mavericks will be Gooden's seventh team in eight seasons of a career that has been unsettled since his rookie season, when he was dealt from Memphis to Orlando after being selected by the Grizzlies with the fourth overall pick.

Yet he's just 27 and has the ability to provide a low-post scoring option that Dallas has lacked, whether he starts or comes off the bench.

He'll be asked to fill the void created by the departure of face-up forward Brandon Bass, who signed a four-year deal with Orlando worth $16 million while the Mavericks' money was tied up in their offer sheet to Gortat. Taking the full seven days allowed by league rules, Orlando stunned many league observers by deciding to match on Gortat -- given that Dwight Howard's backup will essentially be a $12 million player next season when the luxury-tax costs are factored in -- after signing Bass.

Gooden would be the Mavericks' second prominent newcomer this season following its recent trade acquisition of Shawn Marion. Dallas awarded a five-year deal worth nearly $40 million to Marion in a sign-and-trade arrangement featuring three other teams and also re-signed point guard Jason Kidd to a three-year deal worth $25 million
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4356529
monty55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 12:30 AM   #12
Thomas86
Golden Member

Thomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to all

Does this mean the Mavs are not gonna resign James Singleton now?
Thomas86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 12:35 AM   #13
StackAttack
Platinum Member

StackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas86 View Post
Our bigger concern should be if the FO decides this suddenly means we don't need to pursue a center.
Old 07-26-2009, 12:39 AM   #14
pepe

pepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas86 View Post
I really don't know what it means, but Singleton and Humphreys are odd man out. Gooden will get some some PT at the Power Forward spot and in Center..why would they give almost the full MLE to one guy. Hollins is pretty much secure a spot unless a trade is on the works for another big man.

Last edited by pepe; 07-26-2009 at 01:15 AM.
Old 07-26-2009, 12:39 AM   #15
MaVs 41 BaLler
Golden Member

MaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud of

aite.... i cant complain with this move...
Old 07-26-2009, 12:44 AM   #16
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't realize that Gooden was only 27. He plays old.
Old 07-26-2009, 12:54 AM   #17
badfish22
Golden Member

badfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant future

I come home, and see Drew Gooden and his douchey beard staring back at me on DB.com. This is one of the last players I wanted them to sign. As I said yesterday, he made Damp look good.
My only hope is that Rick can bring out the best in him.

BEAT LA
badfish22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 12:54 AM   #18
xavier

xavier is a jewel in the roughxavier is a jewel in the roughxavier is a jewel in the rough

Drew is undersized and can't compete with the centers in the NBA so whynt keep looking!

Last edited by xavier; 07-26-2009 at 12:55 AM.
xavier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 12:54 AM   #19
Justin Credible

Justin Credible is a name known to allJustin Credible is a name known to allJustin Credible is a name known to allJustin Credible is a name known to allJustin Credible is a name known to allJustin Credible is a name known to allJustin Credible is a name known to allJustin Credible is a name known to allJustin Credible is a name known to allJustin Credible is a name known to all

I honestly hope it's true. A potential double-double scoring threat for us to pull off the bench? Why is this a bad thing? His PER as a backup center is actually very respectable, and he's played much better at the 5 than he has the 4..

Damp/Gooden/Hollins seems solid to me at the 5. I definitely wouldn't choose that lineup (swap Damp), but it's definitely an improvement and gives options. Again, like all my 5 posts, this is thinking that Hollins improves defensively over the summer.
Justin Credible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 12:55 AM   #20
Windmill360
Diamond Member

Windmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond repute

More rebounding.
Old 07-26-2009, 12:55 AM   #21
badfish22
Golden Member

badfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant future

Wait, we signed him for how much!?

BEAT LA
Old 07-26-2009, 12:56 AM   #22
Mavsfan4ever
Golden Member

Mavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to behold

I can only think of one thing to say about the Gooden signing.

In Rick we trust.
Old 07-26-2009, 01:00 AM   #23
CadBane
Banned

CadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond repute

I knew it. The handjob AND the MLE.
Old 07-26-2009, 01:01 AM   #24
CadBane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Credible View Post
I honestly hope it's true. A potential double-double scoring threat for us to pull off the bench? Why is this a bad thing? His PER as a backup center is actually very respectable, and he's played much better at the 5 than he has the 4..

Damp/Gooden/Hollins seems solid to me at the 5. I definitely wouldn't choose that lineup (swap Damp), but it's definitely an improvement and gives options. Again, like all my 5 posts, this is thinking that Hollins improves defensively over the summer.
Maybe because his defense is JJB caliber at the 4 and 5? Or because he's a me-first player? Or because he had a beard that was based off of PoTC?

Who knows?
Old 07-26-2009, 01:02 AM   #25
pepe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windmill360 View Post
More rebounding.
Well the guy average about 3 offensive rebound during his career, so at least we know he can hit the boards. I remember Carslile using the Davis boys in Indiana quite a lot, so hopefully this is a bone that Cuban and Donnie threw to Carslile.

Last edited by pepe; 07-26-2009 at 01:03 AM.
Old 07-26-2009, 01:07 AM   #26
badfish22
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CadBane View Post
I knew it. The handjob AND the MLE.
The "incentives" is obviously a handjob, who do they think their fooling?

BEAT LA
Old 07-26-2009, 01:08 AM   #27
darkwitzki
Golden Member

darkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by badfish22 View Post
Wait, we signed him for how much!?
one-year deal for $4.5 million with incentives that will likely take it beyond $5 million by season's end.

Am not sure about this, I'm hoping for the ahtletic Warrick instead, but Gooden means more rebounds..

Last edited by darkwitzki; 07-26-2009 at 01:09 AM.
darkwitzki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 01:09 AM   #28
Windmill360
Diamond Member

Windmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond repute

Warrick can't play the 5. Gooden can.
Old 07-26-2009, 01:13 AM   #29
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

In a few days I'm going to institute my "once you're a Maverick, I root for you" policy as to Gooden, but until then I'm going to take some time to reflect upon how much I hate him.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 01:13 AM   #30
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

well, we replaced Bass. Now trade Josh for a center.
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 01:14 AM   #31
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

quoted because this should spend a few more moments as the last post in the thread than I gave it above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
In a few days I'm going to institute my "once you're a Maverick, I root for you" policy as to Gooden, but until then I'm going to take some time to reflect upon how much I hate him.
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 01:14 AM   #32
darkwitzki
Golden Member

darkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of light

Please cut his beard before gametime..
Old 07-26-2009, 01:16 AM   #33
Simon2
Diamond Member

Simon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to all

Did the Mavs use part of the MLE?
Old 07-26-2009, 01:18 AM   #34
badfish22
Golden Member

like 90% of it..

BEAT LA
Old 07-26-2009, 01:18 AM   #35
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

Got to keep the beard

I am fine with deal because it is just 1 year, and will free up cap space in off season
mavs777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 01:21 AM   #36
Windmill360
Diamond Member

Can he be used as another expiring trade 'chip'?
Old 07-26-2009, 01:33 AM   #37
badfish22
Golden Member

How much was he making in SA?

BEAT LA
Old 07-26-2009, 01:39 AM   #38
Jon Avalon
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windmill360 View Post
Can he be used as another expiring trade 'chip'?
technically yea i would say so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badfish22 View Post
How much was he making in SA?
Like 1.5 mil, though SA signed him late in the season before the playoffs. Which was all any contending team was willing to sign him for.

Last edited by Jon Avalon; 07-26-2009 at 01:42 AM.
Jon Avalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 01:42 AM   #39
Justin Credible

Justin Credible is a name known to allJustin Credible is a name known to allJustin Credible is a name known to allJustin Credible is a name known to allJustin Credible is a name known to allJustin Credible is a name known to allJustin Credible is a name known to allJustin Credible is a name known to allJustin Credible is a name known to allJustin Credible is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by CadBane View Post
Maybe because his defense is JJB caliber at the 4 and 5? Or because he's a me-first player? Or because he had a beard that was based off of PoTC?

Who knows?
Which is why he's an offensive 5, not a defensive. We played last season with only Dirk to turn to if we wanted a 5 that could score, now we have another option.

Kidd
Howard
Marion
Dirk
Gooden

Sounds like it would be impossible to double anyone in that lineup, which means better shots for our "true" scorers. Last season we watched as Dirk got doubled (and tripled) relentlessly by teams.. With Gooden and Marion added that's simply not an option anymore.

If we need defense: Damp/Hollins
Justin Credible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 01:55 AM   #40
pepe

If Gooden is gonna get some burn, and I imagine that he will, we better play some zone...and a lot of it, with Howard, Marion and Ross playing the free safety spot, bacause Gooden and Dirk in the Frontcout will be ugly otherwise.

, .