Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 09-30-2003, 08:14 PM   #1
VivaNajera
Golden Member

VivaNajera is a glorious beacon of lightVivaNajera is a glorious beacon of lightVivaNajera is a glorious beacon of lightVivaNajera is a glorious beacon of lightVivaNajera is a glorious beacon of lightVivaNajera is a glorious beacon of lightVivaNajera is a glorious beacon of light
Default Rockets trade Glen Rice, sign Jim Jackson

Great pick up for the Rockets, wish he would have gone to the east though so he couldnt kill the mavs as much

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/front/2129525
VivaNajera is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-2003, 08:16 PM   #2
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Sept. 30, 2003, 5:29PM

Rockets trade Glen Rice, sign Jim Jackson
By JONATHAN FEIGEN
Copyright 2003 Houston Chronicle

The Rockets picked up spending money by dealing veteran forward Glen Rice, then spent some of that cash by signing free agent shooter for hire Jim Jackson today.

Rockets general manager Carroll Dawson said the deals were made to move the Rockets away from an expected luxury tax hit without hurting themselves and potentially strengthening the roster at small forward.

"It's just so much easier to live under the cap," Dawson said. "If you can't do that, you try to live under the luxury tax (because of) the restrictions. This enabled us to get under the luxury tax and enabled us to get Jim Jackson."

"Glen leaving left a hole. We had to do something. This enabled us to do both."

The Rockets sent Rice, in the final season of a contract worth $9 million, to Utah in exchange for center John Amaechi, giving them a savings of $6.5 million. Having moved under the expected luxury tax threshold, they were free to sign Jackson to the $1.25 million of mid-level exception money left after the off-season signings of Adrian Griffin and Eric Piatkowski.

The trade with the Jazz also gave the Rockets a $6.5 million trade exception, allowing them to take a player that makes as much as $6.5 million more than a player traded in any deal for the next 12 months. Though such a deal would return the Rockets to a luxury tax hit, the trade exception is considered valuable for future trades and especially when acquired after the summer free agency period because it could potentially be used in a sign-and-trade deal after next summer.

The Rockets will also send the Jazz undisclosed "draft considerations" and cash, and the Rockets will receive a future second-round pick.

Rice, who had been house hunting in Houston this week, said he was not ready to comment.

"I'm still collecting my thoughts," he said.

But Dawson said the deals were not made to move Rice, who had played for Rockets coach Jeff Van Gundy for one season in New York, but to move his contract.

Jackson, who will turn 33 this month, has averaged 15.5 points per game in his career, making 43 percent of his shots. He has also averaged 4.7 rebounds and 3.4 assists.

Signed during the season by the Kings last season, he averaged 7.7 points, making 44.2 percent of his shots, 4.2 rebounds and 1.9 assists.

Ameachi, 32, has averaged 6.2 and 2.6 rebounds per game in five NBA seasons with the Cavaliers, Magic and Jazz. He struggled badly as a free agent pickup in Utah, averaging two points and 1.5 rebounds last season.

MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2003, 08:25 PM   #3
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Rockets trade Glen Rice, sign Jim Jackson

The Rockets are an interesting team. I don't know if he'll start, but Jackson give them more stability at the three than Griffin. Van Gundy should improve the defense. There won't be any easy paths back to the WCF no matter where we finish in the west.
Old 09-30-2003, 08:27 PM   #4
one long blue sock
Golden Member

one long blue sock will become famous soon enough

I like this move, look for him to start. The coaching style has changed, I wouldn't expect so many different starting line ups this year then last.
Old 09-30-2003, 08:47 PM   #5
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of
Default RE: Rockets trade Glen Rice, sign Jim Jackson

This isn't as good as it may seem. Have we all forgot how egotistical Cuttino Mobley is? Although this was a good signing, the last thing the Rockets needed was more backcourt players, especially when they also acquired Pike. Yao Ming is there only frontcourt.

All though the majority will disagree, i still don't see the Rockets as a playoff team. They didn't fill any needs this offseason except a new coach. They just overstocked the part of their game where they're already good at.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2003, 08:55 PM   #6
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

A great move. Rice has long been on his last leg. Jackson keeps proving his worth as a journeyman. Maurice Taylor , Eddie Griffin and Yao isn't bad at all its pretty good.

Francis
Mobley
Jackson
Griffin
Yao

If that isn't a dynamic starting five I don't know what one is? Griffin is still a former third overall pick.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2003, 09:08 PM   #7
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah... Eddie Griffin... the guy that made everyone laugh at the Nets for trading him away for Richard Jefferson and Jason Collier. Griffin is the complwte underachiever. And if he ever realizes his potential I will be really surprised. His rookie year was decent but is it a good sign when you regress in your second year?

He is the anti-Rodney Rogers. Rogers was a tweener, but not because of size... but because of height. Griffin is a tweener not because of height... but of size. And if you aren't exceptional like Garnett/Dirk are... or as Barkley was in his day... then tweeners become journeymen whom do not put up good numbers.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2003, 12:25 AM   #8
NYCdog

NYCdog will become famous soon enoughNYCdog will become famous soon enough

You guys in the West better start worrying about these Rockets..............I'll explain.

At three they will now have JJ, Piatkowski, AGriff.............compared to what they had last year, Posey, Nachbar, Rice. Big improvement there at one of there weakest positions.

And to that person who suggested this WOULDNT work cause Mobley's egotisitcal.........JVG will fix that in a hurry. If anyone knows JVG's style, it should be me a Knicks fan. He will turn this team around.

But most importantly of all............here is what this trade does.

From a salary cap point of view, this trade gives Houston a $6.5M trade exception. That gives Houston tremendous flexibiliity in making a deal. And Houston has been in the middle of a lot of rumors lately.

Which means more then likely, there not done dealing yet.

And as for the future.........you guys need to keep an eye on what happens down there. KG (.....yes Kevin Garnett) has said that Houston is one of his top destinations many times before if he leaves Minny. In the past, the Rockets making a deal would have been impossible salary cap wise, as they had no room to move before this trade. Now salary cap wise...........things have cleared up for them big time. Next year they will have some expiring contracts to get rid of clearing even more space under the cap. And if it comes to a sign and trade with Minny (which most likely it will), they now have the contracts and possibly the players to do it without including the the core players of Yao and Steve. Could this salary clearing deal be a prelude to a bid for KG?

For anyone who wants an article on this..............note, this was written before this salary clearing deal by the Rockets. So everything changes now.
ESPN Marc Stein Article

Bottom line is................Look for the Rockets to now become players in any free agent rumblings or trade winds with there new found flexibility. Remember, current owner Les Alexander loves making big splashes (he brought Pippen, Barkely, Drexler, Francis all to town in the past) And he's itching to win again................this does not bode well for others.

Nice job Utah............fuck up the west for everyone now.

Old 10-01-2003, 07:42 AM   #9
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

Quote:
From a salary cap point of view, this trade gives Houston a $6.5M trade exception. That gives Houston tremendous flexibiliity in making a deal. And Houston has been in the middle of a lot of rumors lately.

Which means more then likely, there not done dealing yet.
One of the great rouses-the trade exception. Since the new CBA went into effect, I think a trade exception has been used once. And that was very minor and incorporated into a three-way trade just to make a trade between two other teams work. The trade exception is nothing but a tall-tale spun to fool fans into thinking a lopsided trade was made for something other than money.

SAC has a $5M trade exception, too. I am shaking in my boots.

Edit: I did some research. I am pretty sure this is right. I can only find one instance where a trade exception has been used, but I think there is one other. Ironically, the only one I found was the original Glenn Rice trade and the Mavs are the one's that got the trade exception by trading Eisley to the Knicks, which they used to get Tim Hardaway. Wow. Very exciting. I sure hope the Rockets don't pull off a blockbuster like that.

Second edit: BTW, the Rockets are going to make the playoffs this year regardless and Les Alexander will be making money hand over fist in his shiny new building. They will hover at the 7th or 8th spot all year. Funny how you list all those great Houston trades. The Francis trade was good and the Drexler trade worked. The Barkley trade did nothing for that team as they rode Hakeem's dwindling skills downhill like a toboggan ride. The Pippen signing (was it a sign and trade?) will go down as one of the worst moves in the history of the NBA. The Rockets won't do a damn thing with a trade exception till the next offseason-take it to the bank. And contrary to popular myth, teams don't do sign and trades for junk and the Rockets aren't going to get Kevin Garnett for Eddie Griffen, Mobley and a trade exception. If the Rockets get KG, I'll eat my foot.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2003, 12:24 PM   #10
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

For the record, the Rockets sent next year's first to Utah as well as a future second rounder. Wow, that's great. This trade wasn't ONLY about money.

At least they can use that trade exception to get garnett. Oops. ESPN is reporting he's gonna sign an extension.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2003, 01:34 PM   #11
ItalianMobbstah187

ItalianMobbstah187 is on a distinguished road

My main man J Jax is back in business....Congrats buddy! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]
ItalianMobbstah187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2003, 08:57 AM   #12
MavsFanatik33
Platinum Member

MavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura aboutMavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura about

I'm just happy that Kings lost another crucial backup. Rockets are dealing, they could get past the Suns this year. They better hope they don't play us first round though.
MavsFanatik33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2003, 02:18 AM   #13
Voronwe

Voronwe is on a distinguished road

Where does this leave Utah with regard to the minimum salary requirement?

Jazz Settle Rice's Contract

Friday, October 3, 2003

Associated Press
SALT LAKE CITY -- The Utah Jazz agreed to settle Glen Rice's contract Friday, just three days after acquiring the veteran swingman in a trade with the Houston Rockets.

The deal will allow Rice to pursue options with other NBA teams.

The Jazz did not say how the contract was settled, but Rice, 36, was in the last year of a $9 million contract with Houston.

"As we are committed to a youth movement, this provides Glen the option of being able to be released from his contract in a time frame which allows him to quickly seek other options," Jazz vice president Kevin O'Connor said.

The Jazz traded center John Amaechi to Houston for Rice and two first-round draft picks. Amaechi still had a year on the contract he signed with the Jazz as a free agent in 2001, plus an option for next year. Both years would be worth around $2.5 million.

"It saves us Amaechi's contract for next year," O'Connor said.

By picking up Rice's contract and reaching the settlement, the Jazz again will have plenty of salary cap space next year as they continue to try to rebuild. And they got rid of a player who didn't fit well with coach Jerry Sloan and hardly played last season.

A 14-year veteran, Rice did not fit the youth mold, and even after Tuesday's trade was reached was not expected to play with the Jazz.

"It was a mutual agreement. He wants to play in the league, and we wanted to give him as much of an opportunity as we could to find a team and find a spot," O'Connor said. "We're committed to playing young kids, and that's what we want to do."

O'Connor said the Jazz would continue to look at other players and trade possibilities throughout training camp. Utah opens the preseason Sunday night against Dallas in Mexico City.
Voronwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2003, 08:18 AM   #14
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Utah is still responsible for Rice's salary so doesn't change anything in regards to the mininum salary.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2003, 10:58 AM   #15
MavsFanatik33
Platinum Member

MavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura aboutMavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura about

Rockets look like they're gonna be a playoff team this year, maybe even a 7th seed.
MavsFanatik33 is offline   Reply With Quote