Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 01-04-2004, 01:51 PM   #41
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold
Default RE:The Sock's thread

OP why don't you give Donnie a call tomorrow and see if you can get him to sign the Sock to a 10-day contract for backup PG. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Sounds like he's doing awesome. And a 36" vertical and still not 15 is fantastic. Sounds like he's going to be one monster of a player by the time he's a senior.
Old 01-04-2004, 02:01 PM   #42
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats to the Sock! He sounds to me like a young man with a bright future.

As for Walkerforthree, you talk the talk, but I'd love the opportunity to see if you can walk the walk.
Old 01-04-2004, 02:20 PM   #43
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: kg_veteran

As for Walkerforthree, you talk the talk, but I'd love the opportunity to see if you can walk the walk.
yeah and
Quote:
I hit 8 straight 30 footers. I
sounds a little far fetched...but I'm sure some guys can do it...Where did you play college ball WalkerF3?

and to the sock....keep rockin', sounds like you are well on your way to being a wonderful ball player!

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 02:50 PM   #44
Walkerforthree
Golden Member

Walkerforthree is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: sike
Quote:
Originally posted by: kg_veteran

yeah and
Quote:
I hit 8 straight 30 footers. I
sounds a little far fetched...but I'm sure some guys can do it...Where did you play college ball WalkerF3?

and to the sock....keep rockin', sounds like you are well on your way to being a wonderful ball player!
Well, I made a decision I regret now. I made both my college basketball and college Tennis teams. I loved both, but I was suaded by people to concentrate on Tennis, because I am extremely good on Tennis. Our college coach wasn't thrilled, he wanted me on the basketball team. But I played tennis instead, I was very good, but wouldn't of had that lucrative a career on the ATP. So I went into my business which money wise was much more lucrative and safer, but I realized how much I love basketball, I play all the time now when im not working, gyms, outdoor, indoor, churches, leagues, everywhere. I'd love to play with you guy's. In a few weeks I should know which game im going to, mabye we can schedule a game when im there.

OP, so how tall do you expect the Sock to get?
Walkerforthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 07:00 PM   #45
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

Good to hear all the news, OP.. I was just wondering the other day how Sock was coming along in bball.

AND.. I ALSO would love to see another Mavs vs. Mavs. I think I was out of town for the second one, sadly. Y'all just tell me when.. prior to the stupid holidays getting in the way, I was getting SHARP, boys. Well, relatively speaking, anyway...
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 09:34 PM   #46
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: The Sock's thread

congrats sock....sorry I didn't congratulate you earlier, but I hadn't been in the lounge in awhile.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 11:00 PM   #47
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally posted by: OzMavs
WF3 sounds so familiar, it's kind of scaring me. The self love, the travel on business, I've seen it all before.

Way to go sock. Great to see.
hahaha...Jay Harp is gay.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 11:01 PM   #48
Drbio
Banned

The sock at UT? Say it isn't so. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

(Let me introduce him to Mr. Scott Drew [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] )
Old 01-05-2004, 11:52 AM   #49
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

man, i'd love to make it down... to eat Walkerforthree alive in the post.

that is hands down the most outrageous, boastful post i've ever seen on this board.

op, it's nice to hear about the sock. best of luck to him!
Old 01-05-2004, 12:49 PM   #50
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts

The Sock is rocketing to the NBA.

...thanks to his trainer and his agent. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Congrats, OP!

Old 01-05-2004, 02:01 PM   #51
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

Quote:
Originally posted by: Drbio
The sock at UT? Say it isn't so. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

(Let me introduce him to Mr. Scott Drew [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] )
Think of the quality education Sock could get at SMU. And he'd be so close to home.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 02:04 PM   #52
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

Quote:
Originally posted by: OutletPass
Thanks Uber...sorry...I mean WF3...those were kind words also.

Hawaii is still Sock's first choice; but he's getting a lot of attention from UT because of the recruiters who are in Denton for Austin Jackson....if you don't know who Austin is...he's a 2 sport All-American....punch up that name on "GToogle".
If he went to Hawaii, he could follow in the footsteps of the great Predrag Savovic.

Shocking!

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 06:57 PM   #53
OutletPass
Diamond Member

OutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really nice

Thanks again to all...the good wishes are greatly appreicated...tomorrow night is the big game against archrival Denton high School....the Ryan Raiders should smack them around pretty easily. I know the kids who play for Denton and they don't have anyone who can stay with the Sock so his stats may be pretty nice..

To answer the two q's that I saw:

both my wife and ex-wife are Doctors. they've looked at the Sock's growth plates, and the consensus is that he'll be somewhere between 6'4" and 6'7", but we'll see. he did correct me though, his vertical is 33".

since he's ALWAYS played against much older guys, his game doesn't reallt change when he plays with them. If he doesn't know them, he'll defer to his teammates at first to allow them to get used to him and what he can do. When they see he can play with them, the ball starts coming to him a lot. He really has no hesitation in taking it in against older, taller guys...though if the competition is real tall, he'll hit more 3's. As I said, he's really a 2/3 who's being forced to play the 5 right now.
Old 01-05-2004, 09:05 PM   #54
OutletPass
Diamond Member

OutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really nice

BTW...the Sock is a left hander !!
Old 01-05-2004, 10:00 PM   #55
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally posted by: OutletPass
BTW...the Sock is a left hander !!
Nobody is perfect. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 01-05-2004, 10:03 PM   #56
Drbio
Banned

My father used to have a shirt that read, "Everyone is born right handed...only the best can overcome it."
Old 01-05-2004, 10:08 PM   #57
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

It's all about the lefties.
Old 01-05-2004, 11:43 PM   #58
OutletPass
Diamond Member

I really appreciated your post, Murph... time to make up. Thanks.
Old 01-05-2004, 11:48 PM   #59
OutletPass
Diamond Member

But my old friends, Doc and Dooby can wait until hell freezes over, SMU and Baylor...think again !!!

The Sock is much smarter than all that !! A straight "A" guy" who's learned from his dad's mistakes...

Warm weather all year...and warmer women.

Hawaii....for his dad, at least !!!

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/brokenheart.gif[/img]
Old 01-06-2004, 10:24 AM   #60
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

i've heard mixed reviews about going to college (or living) in hawaii (had a good friend that went there and my parents were stationed there - I was born in honolulu). of course, it's beautiful. simply amazing. but the main thing that gets to everyone (college student or resident) is "rock fever." you can't just get in your car and take a road trip like so many college students do. you are locked to that island.

also, when i watch hawaii play on TV, I can't help but think about those athletes having to travel so damn far for every away game. talk about jet-lagged away performances. but it's also a huge homefield advantage.

anyway, just something to consider about Hawaii.

and man, lefties. i hate lefties... you grow up blocking shots of right-handers and get accustomed to that. then you play a lefty and he throws you off. sneaky bastards. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-06-2004, 10:43 AM   #61
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Quote:
Originally posted by: Big Boy Laroux
and man, lefties. i hate lefties... you grow up blocking shots of right-handers and get accustomed to that. then you play a lefty and he throws you off. sneaky bastards. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
word. y'all simpleton righties need to learn how to follow the ball. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] this shortcoming is what would allow me, or the Sock, or any left-hander who at least played junior high basketball, to score at least two baskets in one NBA game. i'm serious. that's been my longstanding theory [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 01-06-2004, 11:58 AM   #62
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

simpletons? all us righties can beat up the lefties! at least based on sheer numbers alone... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

but back to the subject at hand. when blocking right-handed shots, it's almost always with the left hand, cause that's what lines up with their shooting hand. even though I'm righthanded, most of my blocks come with my left-hand for this reason (i get blocks with my right on layup attempts and what-not). but then when you guard a lefty, blocking with your left hand (humans are creatures of habit...) doesn't work. and you know, i would agree with you. any lefty with basketball experience could probably get at least one shot off (i don't know about actually scoring... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] ) in an NBA game.
Old 01-06-2004, 12:20 PM   #63
Chicago JK

Chicago JK will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by: Rhylan
Quote:
word. y'all simpleton righties need to learn how to follow the ball. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] this shortcoming is what would allow me, or the Sock, or any left-hander who at least played junior high basketball, to score at least two baskets in one NBA game. i'm serious. that's been my longstanding theory [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
ha ha. I am betting they could score more than two baskets on the Mavericks[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Congrats Sock. I think there should be a Dallas-mavs cheering section at his games when he reaches high school.
Chicago JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 09:21 PM   #64
Smiles
Diamond Member

Smiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud of

tonights the big night!

best wishes, sock. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/heart.gif[/img]
Old 01-06-2004, 11:08 PM   #65
OutletPass
Diamond Member

...it was a 6:30 game tonight....I came home and posted a couple of times to catch my breath...the game was WILD. They triple teamed the Sock everytime that he touched the ball...his line for the night was 22/12/2 and 7 assists...

BUT They lost. By 5 after being up 15. Sound familiar to Mavs fans this year ? He did pass out of the triples really well...but his guys couldn't hit shots. His team has guys who can steal like crazy..and rebound fairly well..but they just don't have another shooter...

Expressed in NBA minutes, the Sock's line would be: 33 points, 18 rebounds, 3 blocks and 10 assists.

Next game is Friday night.
Old 01-06-2004, 11:17 PM   #66
OutletPass
Diamond Member

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
and man, lefties. i hate lefties... you grow up blocking shots of right-handers and get accustomed to that. then you play a lefty and he throws you off. sneaky bastards.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by Rhylan:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
word. y'all simpleton righties need to learn how to follow the ball. this shortcoming is what would allow me, or the Sock, or any left-hander who at least played junior high basketball, to score at least two baskets in one NBA game. i'm serious. that's been my longstanding theory
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's funny stuff, Rhy...but I do agree with you...no one expects it from the left side.

The Sock is fairly ambidextous...he's a lefty...but he can shoot with his right, too. I've watched him play so much...I've picked up on little things...he'll always shoot with his left in the first half...

then when they're adjusting to that. He'll get an "o" rebound and go with his right hand...or he'll dribble between his legs and cross them over to the right and hit a baseline "baby hook" with his right...sort of like TD's shot from there.

Old 01-07-2004, 09:09 AM   #67
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
In 6th and 7th grade, he was the pg. He didn't shoot much or rebound much or block any shots. But what HE DID DO was to send laser passes to two 6' footers; steal everything in sight; and have 18 assists for every turnover. But he was growing and we knew that he was going to grow out of the 1 spot. We spent a lot of time on his rebounding, FT's and his strength.
When you say he outgrew the one spot, are you saying that after the growth spurt coaches would no longer use him there? It would seem to me that someone with his court vision would be invaluable at the point. A 6'4 pg in high school would be unstoppable and playing point would give him a better chance to go pro if his game progresses to that point. Jeryl Sasser was drafted in the 1st round even though he can't shoot, primarily because teams felt they could make him a 6'7 PG.
Old 01-07-2004, 10:56 AM   #68
Drbio
Banned

OP wants sock to go to Hawaii so he go visit and catch up on the beach bunnies. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] We have one thing here though that the beach can't touch.....preachers daughters. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Seriously....great line on the game. I'd really like to see him play.
Old 01-10-2004, 12:35 AM   #69
OutletPass
Diamond Member

Good Gravy...this team is going to put me in the hospital with an MI.

Our best PF quit yesterday...he's just a kid with a bad home life, to be honest...and that left Ryan's team without their 2nd best rebounder and scorer.

We were down by 8 with 3 minutes to go...the Sock hit for 10 straight points...then NRHills got 2 and then the Sock hit a 3. 20 Seconds to go...Denton Ryan up by 3...NRHills hits a line drive 3 at the buzzer...and it's overtime for 4 minutes.

The Sock hits 7 points but no other Denton Ryan players scores...tied with 7 seconds left...NRHills inbounds from halfcourt..throws it into to the right baseline...they hit a cutter...who lays it in...at the buzzer.

We lose 48-46.

Sock has 27 points/19boards/1 block ....in what was, actually, not one of his better games...I know that the stats are there...but he was really lethargic before the game...and played like that....he missed way too many shots and just wasn't aggressive at all. His lack of blocked shots are all you need to know.

He's having to adjust now... the second game in a row, they're doubling and tripling him. He passes out of that pretty well...no complaints, but his guys just can't shoot. So, this will be an ongoing problem...

We're going to work on some things to free him up....

Now...the good news...The Sock is headed to the varsity for the last 7 games of the year....!!!!!

He's got 8 more to play with the 9th grade team...and when they finish...it's on to the varsity !!!

Old 01-10-2004, 01:00 AM   #70
OutletPass
Diamond Member

Origianlly posted by Dirno2K:
"When you say he outgrew the one spot, are you saying that after the growth spurt coaches would no longer use him there? It would seem to me that someone with his court vision would be invaluable at the point. A 6'4 pg in high school would be unstoppable and playing point would give him a better chance to go pro if his game progresses to that point. Jeryl Sasser was drafted in the 1st round even though he can't shoot, primarily because teams felt they could make him a 6'7 PG."

-- you hit the nail on the head, Dirno.

He's the 5 on defense because they lack heigth. He's just a great rebounder and an awesome shotblocker.

In the last 5 games or so, he's played the 2 on offense....because he can hit the 3 and also drive inside...they've changed what they're doing, and he's bringing the ball upcourt more and more.

Here's a typical couple of possessions...the Sock will rebound/or bring it in...he'll dribble to just past halfcourt and give it up to the pg...they'll set up their offense with the pg on the right side and the Sock on the left...he'll get the ball and drive and dish...or hit a 3. The other scenario is exactly the same, but when he gives it off to the PG he'll post up on either side, they'll get him the ball and he'll go into the paint and score.

Actually, Denton Ryan has a really nice 5'6" PG, who I coached, he looks like and plays like AI...he was just moved from the 9th grade team to the JV. He's got a lot of upside, but his downside is that he turned 16 last Sept....The Sock won't be 15 until late May of next year. (The PG's brother is a 5'5"m 140 lb speedster RB on the state championship final Football Team.)

The Sock's first name, as most people know, is Ryan and since he plays for Denton Ryan...that gets a little confusing...but it helps me in the stands.

Dirno, the coach is really a wonderful guy...and he'd use the Sock at the pg now...if the team had more height...The Sock is really a 2/3 if you're talking about the high school varsity...but I would absolutely love it...I mean I would LOVE IT..if he'd be a 6'4" - 6'6" pg in his junior year...it's his REAL position...despite all these rebounds and blocked shots as a defensive 5 in 9th grade.

His GREATEST ASSET is that he can see the floor and know what's happening BEFORE it unfolds. And he is a laser beam passer; who's TOO unselfish.

Old 01-10-2004, 04:58 PM   #71
Walkerforthree
Golden Member

Walkerforthree is on a distinguished road

if he's as good as he sounds he should definately been playing for varsity and not some crappy JV team.
Walkerforthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2004, 03:15 PM   #72
Max Power
Banned

Max Power is on a distinguished road

Ryan is going to be an outstanding player. What I like most about him is how he doesn't have a big head about being able to play better than his teammates. A nice level headed young man.
Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2004, 04:27 PM   #73
Drbio
Banned

Looks like I might have to write up a prescription for some nitro pills for OP. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 01-13-2004, 11:32 PM   #74
OutletPass
Diamond Member

I may need thorazine, Doc. The Sock hurt his foot yesterday and couldn't get any lift tonight. The Denton Ryan Raiders 9th graders lost again tonight...by 4...after being up by 3 with 2:30 to play. Worst game of the year...we scored only about 60% of what we average and it was Sock's worst game in 3 years...he couldn't buy a shot.

Brutal game really...the refs let it get out of control and we were missing 3 starters (one went to JV to help out at pg, one is supended from the team for one game, and another failed a class....all 3 were on my spring/summer team)....Sock had a lot of points on FT's and a ton of rebounds...but he had a terrible night from the floor...it was just one of the nights...that you learn from and put behind you...

I AM PLEASED TO SAY THAT :

Another member of this board, "Dirk's Cuzin" (and Sock's best friend since 1st grade) played a fine solid game at pg for the northwest texans...the winners tonight...he's another of my players and just a wonderful young man....I was really pleased tonight to sit down with him for about 30 minutes during the first game tonight and catch up before he and the Sock tangled oncourt...in the 9th grade game.

so, props to him and his team...

All hail Dirk's Cuzin (for tonight only)

Old 01-14-2004, 12:11 AM   #75
OutletPass
Diamond Member

An update for Dirno2000:

Ryan Wall from Coppell is playing out in New Mexico this year and is getting decent playing time as a freshman...he's playing VERY SOLID so far....nothing spectacular since he's just a freshman...but he's doing real well. (You may know his brother's story...a very big time QB here in Coppell...went to OU to play...and, to be kind, got himself into "legal difficulties) So, it's really good to see Ryan W. doing well. You're very correct about him Dirno...he plays a real nice game.

I was looking at the Times Herald tronight after I got in...and Austin Jackson is getting 22.1 PPG to place him 7th in 4a scoring (regionally)...the funny thing is that he hasn't had a "go crazy bust out game" yet...he's just been quietly going off for 20 -26 every night, very consistently...

one other thing of note, if you'll look down the 4a listings just a bit, Chris Klootwyk of Denton Ryan is getting 15.4 a game to go with Austin's 22.1 . He's been a real surprise...and he plays a lot like Troy murphy. He's hard nosed, does the dirty work, but has a nice touch from 12 feet in...and he's just a junior. He has some of the best footwork that you'll see....real fundamentally sound...a 6'4" PF...

It could be a nice year next year for the Denton Ryan Raider varsity....

Jermias Sawyer (the AI clone) at the 1...(one of my AAU guys)
Austin Jackson...at the 2.
Sock at the 3.
Chris K. at the 4.

Now, if they just had a 5 !!!

Now where have I heard that before ?

Old 01-14-2004, 12:25 AM   #76
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Well, in High School you can get by without a five. Desoto won State last year without a player over 6'5. They just had a bunch of kinds who could run and shoot and knew how to play together. Actually Dunbar won state with a 6'5 center, but Jermis Smith is a man-child who plays 6'9. My alma mater, the Cedar Hill Longhorns are ranked 9th nationally in one poll and also feature a 6'5 center (Jason Horton is the real deal).

I'll have to make a point to check out Ryan next year. Is Sock playing AAU ball this summer?
Old 01-14-2004, 12:39 AM   #77
OutletPass
Diamond Member

You're a Cedar Hill guy Dirno ? ...excellent.

That's a GREAT program...and I know Jason's game really well...I've seen him a bunch of times and really love the way he approaches the game...he's a solid 20 PPG/5 apg guy..which translates to bigger numbers in the college game. I saw him play earlier this yea, a coule of timesr...Cedar hill has another guy who I like...I forget his last name just this second...his first name is Rod...I want to say it's Roderick Adams or something like that.

both games that I saw were blowouts...CH won by about 25-30 in both of them.

Where's Jason going to college ?
Old 01-14-2004, 12:45 AM   #78
OutletPass
Diamond Member

I keep forgetting things tonight, Dirno...so you'll have to excuse me...these games are killing me...

To answer your question: I guess that the Sock will play AAU again this year...though I'm not totally sure...that sort of depends on his varsity coach....and I don't know that I'll coach the Sock again...or that I'll coach another 14 Select team again this summer...

To be honest, the AAU game is a little too unstructured at times...and the Sock need to work on some specifics...he needs to get stronger in his upper body; he needs to have a bit more footspeed; and he needs to work on getting his shot up quicker...right now, his jump is quicker than his shot, if you know what I mean....if you don't, here's what I mean...

When Dirk starts to go for a J off his dribble, there are times that he just seems to go in slow motion once he's in the air...he just doesn't have the fastest release in the world...and ryan is like that on the same moves. Ryan gets into the air as fast as any white 9th grader that i've ever seen..but his arm motion isn't moving at the same speed...he's very DELIBERATE...and he's all arms and elbows...like Dirk...point being, that's ok in 9th grade, but not good in the 10th on the varsity.

I expect that this summer, he'll be working with RO a LOT...and at camps...and whatever his varsity coach wants him to do...and if that's AAU again...then it's AAU again... I can't keep him out of the gym...he's just insatiable..all to his credit, really....

Last summer, he worked REALLY hard...in AAU, in the gym, and on some things that he needed to improve physically. And I'm sure that this spring and summer will be the same, but...I'll know more when he's finished in March.

Listen...Dirno...

Denton Ryan has played Dunbar...and I got a look at Jeremis. You're not kidding when you say "man child" ...he went for over 30 on us...I was sort of ecpecting him to go nuts on the boards, too...but he didn't...

The best HS player that I've seen so far this year is Aldridge...he had a 38p/18r/4b game in a tournament that we went to.
Old 01-14-2004, 02:01 AM   #79
dirno2000
Diamond Member

JasJason signed with Missouri, which is a testament to the recruiting prowess of Quinn Snyder since they'll probably be on probation before he graduates. He lets his emotions get the best of him at times and at other times he tries to do too much. When it all comes together he's hard to stop. He scored 12 points in the 4th Friday night in Desoto to blow a close game wide open. The thing that impressed me early on (and this goes back to a question I asked about Sock) is that as a freshman, he didn't back down from anybody. He wasn't the best player on the court, but he still took it to the older players and wasn't intimated one bit. Kind of like Josh Howard.

Roderick Adams is a good player. He can jump out of the gym, and he's a pretty good shooter. Actually he has twin brother on the team; Richard who's the perimeter stopper. I don't make many of their games since, like you said, they blow most teams out. So far I've only seem them play Desoto and Dunbar.

I haven't seen Seagoville this year either. Lamarcus is talented, but every time I see him I get the feeling that there’s an intensity lacking in his game. I guess that's to be expected when your 6'11 in high school. IMO he's not as good as Bosh was. I actually think he would have benefited by going to a traditional basketball school. Hopefully he'll go to college for some seasoning.

AAU can be unstructured depending on the coach. From what I hear it can also be pretty shady with back room deals and mysterious transfers. On the other hand, that's where the competition is. I guess it's just a matter of finding the right balance of skill building and game play. Obviously what he’s doing is working.
Old 01-17-2004, 05:15 AM   #80
OutletPass
Diamond Member

FINALLY......in a (strangely early) 4 O'Clock game.

Denton Ryan's 9th grade...81
Frisco's 9th grade..............50

Sock had 22/7/3 and didn't play after 3 minutes into the second half. His foot still isn't right and we were ahead by 20 at the half. That was his line for 15 minutes...

He hit 2 of 3 three pointer's in the first two minutes...He usually plays 22 -24 minutes...and in the 9th grade game, that would be a 32/10/5 game....In NBA minutes...that's a 62/21/9 game.....

Sorry, he didn't get a triple double !!!!!