Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 06-13-2001, 10:43 AM   #41
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

Haha mine's been collecting dust in the corner too [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-2001, 07:53 PM   #42
giostar

giostar will become famous soon enoughgiostar will become famous soon enough

Im still hitting the gym 5 times a week... although im not sure if Im doing much... I drink WAY too much. So its almost like Im breaking even. Although I dont drink everyday, it still doesnt help any.
giostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2001, 07:55 PM   #43
giostar

giostar will become famous soon enoughgiostar will become famous soon enough

But I am down to about 207 now. So although the extra weight is slowly coming off... its coming. And as much as I lift, Im sure that Im building the muscle. I just have a little bit of extra "stuff" on there to keep the muscles from showing up.
giostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2001, 08:03 PM   #44
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

Wow that's pretty good gio! You were at 250-270 a year ago right? I'm trying a new low-volume routine, with increased reps and weights but fewer sets. So far so good. My back's finally strong enough to do st-dl's again, though I'm having to basically start all over again [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] I'm doing 155lbs comfortably and am hoping to get up to 250 by the end of the summer. Also back doing squats..but the gym at my apt doesn't have a smith or power rack - ugh!
Old 06-14-2001, 11:07 PM   #45
Flying Tiger
Golden Member

Flying Tiger will become famous soon enoughFlying Tiger will become famous soon enough

I feel where giostar is comming from...I keep lifting and getting bigger muscles, but I'm not running like I should be to get rid of the extra "stuff". It's slowly comming off, but I'm not losing any weight because I'm still lifting weights. It's a horrible cycle!
Old 06-14-2001, 11:13 PM   #46
djb
Administrator

You should try taking an eca before a cardio workout. I do cardio 3x a week after my legs routine, and it really melts off the fat! I sweat buckets (eca's have a diuretic effect) after a 35min grind on the stairmaster. Personally I recommend Xenadrine ($25 online) but am switching over to Dymetadrine Xtreme (it's stronger and a lot cheaper) soon.
Old 06-15-2001, 03:49 PM   #47
djb
Administrator

I saw on Oprah last night (my gf made me watch it..I swear!) that the optimal time to work out is between 4-8pm in the afternoon. Just an fyi [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Personally I like working out late at night, around 11pm, when the gym's nice and empty.
Old 06-15-2001, 04:13 PM   #48
TheKid
Diamond Member

TheKid is on a distinguished road

Another good time is early in the morning, the gym is always empty then.
Old 06-15-2001, 04:15 PM   #49
djb
Administrator

Yea but I absolutely HATE waking up early! I know it's best to do cardio in the morning on an empty stomach b/c that'll burn the most fat..but I'm just always so damn hungry when I wake up I HAVE to eat something!
Old 06-15-2001, 04:28 PM   #50
Flying Tiger
Golden Member

Flying Tiger will become famous soon enoughFlying Tiger will become famous soon enough

I know I ask too many question, but I have a couple more... what is an eca, and what is a good cardio workout?
Old 06-15-2001, 04:31 PM   #51
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

basketball is the best exercise!

especially outdoors during the summer. if you actually run, and don't walk down the court like a wuss.

plus, ultimate frisbee is quite a workout. any of y'all play.

any other type of cardio is pointless to me (running just for the sake of running...)
Old 06-15-2001, 04:31 PM   #52
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

damn double post. there's a first time for eveything.
Old 06-15-2001, 04:39 PM   #53
djb
Administrator

eca = ephedrine/caffeine/asprin

It's used as an energizer and fat burner. Unlike most other supps, thermogenics are actually proven to work. However, since the use of ephedrine/caffeine increases heart rate, some people don't recommend it. All I have to say is stuff like Xenadrine kicks ass! I don't use it for its fat burning capabilities, so I only take a dose before my workout to get that energy boost. You may have seen stuff like Ripped Fuel or Metabolife. They're basically the same thing, ephedrine-based products that give you energy and burn fat. Not all eca's are created equal though. Xenadrine and Dymetadrine Xtreme are two of the most effective thermogenic supps on the market. If you're going to try it out, just take a half dose 30mins before your workout. I guarantee if you didn't feel like working out, you will! Also, you'll feel so damn strong and energized you'll be lifting harder/heavier.

Oh and this stuff isn't some miracle pill that'll melt your fat. You might lose a couple pounds while taking it, but unless you do cardio/weight training, you won't have very good results.
Old 06-15-2001, 04:41 PM   #54
djb
Administrator

As for cardio, I just stick to the StairMaster and racquetball. Basketball and other outdoor sports are great though (like BBL said). I usually do 35mins cardio after working my legs, so hitting the StairMaster is more convenient. Then again, I doubt I'd be able to play any sports after a squat/deadlift session.
Old 06-15-2001, 04:42 PM   #55
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

What do you recomend using before I jump on the AbSlide. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Website - www.thegamesector.com
Hell bent 100% Texan 'til I die.
LonestarROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2001, 04:44 PM   #56
TheKid
Diamond Member

TheKid is on a distinguished road

It sounds lame and I can't stand it myself, but the ABSOLUTE best cardio is running! If you run anywhere from 3-5 miles atleast 2-3 times a week. I guarantee you, you'll lose weight!
Old 06-15-2001, 04:44 PM   #57
djb
Administrator

lol [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

I doubt I'll be using my AbSlide much. It just feels weird!
Old 06-15-2001, 04:46 PM   #58
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

I used to run 1-2 miles a day but I never lost weight. That's probably because I'm skinny as hell to begin with. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-15-2001, 04:46 PM   #59
djb
Administrator

Oh man I HATE running! I could never get used to running outside (10mins seems like an eternity!) or inside using a treadmill.
Old 06-15-2001, 04:50 PM   #60
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

Yeah, that's my problem. It's too boring running(I do it on a tredmill). That's why I think I'm gonna try a bike.

Old 06-15-2001, 06:04 PM   #61
Flying Tiger
Golden Member

I have trouble working out my lower body because I have back problems and the doctor won't let me put any weight over 75 lbs over my shoulders, so he told me to do 35 minutes of cardio/aerobic exercise 5 times a week. Do ya'll know of any good leg workouts that I could do besides leg press and extensions?
Old 06-15-2001, 06:35 PM   #62
djb
Administrator

There really aren't any good muscle-building lower body workouts for you to do [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] Doing squats and st-dl's would put too much stress on your shoulders and back. You're not able to do extensions? What about seated calf-raises? I think you should stick to your doctor's advice and just do a buttload of cardio. That would at least keep your lower body toned and in shape. I screwed up my lower back doing st-dl's a few months ago and have just now finally recovered.

Before every cardio session, I do a few sets of standing calf raises (without weights) and squats (also without weights). You should give it a try! Do calf raises slowly and hold it for a couple secs at the top. As for the squats, just stand up straight, stick your hands straight out in front of you, and squat slowly. I do sets of 20. It won't bulk you up but it's better than nothing.
Old 06-15-2001, 06:37 PM   #63
djb
Administrator

Oh I just noticed you said you're not allowed to place more than 75lbs weight on your shoulders. So why not squat and stuff with just the 45lb bar?
Old 06-15-2001, 07:25 PM   #64
Flying Tiger
Golden Member

I could just do the bar, but the way are powerlifting coach taught us to do was like 4 sets of 5 with 300+ lbs. I guess I'm just used to that. The doctor said that's probably what's wrong with my back. I can do leg extensions. I just said that leg press and leg extensions were the only 2 lifts that I knew I could do. I can do pretty much anything sitting down, but the doc won't even let me to incline bench press. Oh well, I'll just stick to running and jumprope.
Old 06-19-2001, 12:24 AM   #65
Flying Tiger
Golden Member

I've heard different answers to this question...but which do ya'll think is better...Fewer reps with more weight and sets or fewer sets with more reps and less weight?
Old 06-19-2001, 12:38 AM   #66
djb
Administrator

Go low volume. Few sets with increased weights and reps. That's said to be one of the most effective muscle-gaining method out there.
Old 06-19-2001, 12:44 AM   #67
djb
Administrator

I've been on a low-volume routine the last three weeks and to me the results have been pretty impressive (in terms of overall physical appearance). I work two body parts a day, and work each body part once per week. For each part, I usually do two exercises, with 2-3 sets each. The number of reps depends on what exercise I'm doing. Sometimes I'll do 10-12 reps, sometimes 6-8. I work to failure and max out on the final set.
Old 06-20-2001, 07:42 AM   #68
Flying Tiger
Golden Member

Thanks...I've been doing like sets of 20 because of the little weight I'm allowed.
Old 06-20-2001, 11:57 AM   #69
djb
Administrator

To all the local folks, Fresh Start is having a big anniversary sale this week. They're a health food/supplements shop located on McKinney a couple blocks south of Highland Park Village. The prices are pretty good, MUCH better than GNC's. I'd say they're almost as cheap as the online supp shops, and in some cases, even cheaper! I picked up a 36-pack of Myoplex Deluxe for $60, a 4lb bucket of Phosphagen HP for $20 (for my friend who really wants to bulk up), and Cutting Gel for $54. I've been meaning to try this Cutting Gel stuff for a while now..you just rub it on your body and the fat comes off (with cardio and/or a low-calorie diet of course). Time to shred those lower abs!

Oh and I'm also taking Dymetadrine Xtreme now instead of Xenadrine. Had a pretty intense workout yesterday so I'd say this stuff's great!
Old 06-20-2001, 01:55 PM   #70
djb
Administrator

Ugh this Cutting Gel really doesn't smell very good..and it's sticky as hell! I just rubbed some on my lower abs and am about to go work out. I don't think I'm going to like sleeping with this crap on.
Old 06-20-2001, 06:27 PM   #71
Flying Tiger
Golden Member

Do you not go broke buying all that stuff?
Old 06-20-2001, 06:53 PM   #72
djb
Administrator

I spend over $100 each month on protein, glutamine, thermos and milk (drink a gallon every two days!). That's not too bad though considering I get 60 meals out of that $100+ (60 Myoplex shakes). Whenever I go out to eat, I usually end up spending $30-35 for me and my gf..for just one damn meal! I eat 5-6 meals a day so the supps actually help ease up the grocery and restaurant bills.

Stuff like that Cutting Gel I just bought are only one-time purchases. I just wanted to give it a try. I doubt I'll get it again when I run out. Oh and since I'm no longer taking creatine, I'm actually spending less now than I was before!
Old 06-20-2001, 10:18 PM   #73
Flying Tiger
Golden Member

Good gosh! How can you possibly eat that much w/o being 300lbs over weight?
Old 06-20-2001, 10:46 PM   #74
djb
Administrator

Heheh I'm far from being fat [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] My goal is to get to 150lbs @ 7-8% body fat by the time I take my personal trainer certification exam (Aug 11). The only easy way you can put on more lean muscle mass is by eating 5-6 meals a day. It keeps your metabolism going and is a great way to not only consume the ideal amount of carbs/cals/protein per day, but to also burn fat. If you've heard of Body For Life, well this is how those people attain such incredible results in just 90 days. They eat six meals a day, exercise hard, and get lots of rest.
Old 06-20-2001, 10:49 PM   #75
Flying Tiger
Golden Member

Man...no wonder I'm fat. I don't know any of this stuff.
Old 06-20-2001, 10:50 PM   #76
djb
Administrator

Oh and when I say 5-6 meals, I'm not talking huge all-you-can-eat pig-out stuff [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Everything in moderation!
Old 06-20-2001, 10:53 PM   #77
Flying Tiger
Golden Member

It's so confusing! Some people say eat 1 meat and drink this $90 crap twice a day to lose weight, some say just cut back, now you're saying eat 6 meals a day.
Old 06-20-2001, 11:34 PM   #78
djb
Administrator

Eating six meals a day has been proven to be the optimum way to gain lean muscle mass. Pick up any bodybuilding/fitness mag or ask that question on any bodybuilding msg board and that's what you'll be told. You need to consume a certain amount of protein (i.e., 1g for each pound you weigh is good for gaining muscle), carbs, cals, and even fat per day. There's a reason why you see so many people working out regularly, yet they have very little gains to show. Bodybuilding is all about eating right, exercising hard (without overtraining), and getting plenty of rest (your muscles don't grow while you're pounding the weights in the gym..they grow while you rest). The more I learn about this stuff, the more intrigued I get. That's why I decided to become a certified trainer. It's not something I'll be doing fulltime (digital design is in my blood!), but to me it'll be a great way to relax while helping others.
Old 06-20-2001, 11:46 PM   #79
Flying Tiger
Golden Member

Even though it's confusing...it does sound interesting. Do you know of any web sites I could go to that would help? If not I'll just look it up.
Old 06-20-2001, 11:55 PM   #80
djb
Administrator

Here are a couple informative sites that I like:

Cyberpump
Skinny Guy
WannaBeBig

Cyberpump has great articles, while the WannaBeBig Forums have a ton of knowledgeable people. I like the Skinny Guy site because it shows how practical training and proper nutrition can COMPLETELY transform your body in just 90 days! Look at the before and after pics of the guy and you'll definitely be inspired to change your lifestyle!