Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 02-01-2006, 10:07 AM   #81
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

I hear that sexy is that old man who lives up on brokeback mountaint?....who knows?

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-2006, 10:50 AM   #82
XERXES
Diamond Member

XERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike
I hear that sexy is that old man who lives up on brokeback mountaint?....who knows?
Dude, I live on Wolverton Mountain with the birds and bees and Clifton Clowers (ok everyone- if you've stayed with this barrage this long then you deserve that classic country bone I just threw you...)

Sike, on the other hand is guilty of spending all of his time on brokeback Moutaint...He's guilty as charged...even if he says he is innotaint.

Last edited by XERXES; 02-01-2006 at 10:52 AM.
XERXES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 10:59 AM   #83
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by XERXES
Dude, I live on Wolverton Mountain with the birds and bees and Clifton Clowers (ok everyone- if you've stayed with this barrage this long then you deserve that classic country bone I just threw you...)

Sike, on the other hand is guilty of spending all of his time on brokeback Moutaint...He's guilty as charged...even if he says he is innotaint.
well since I can't say anthing to free myself...I'm going out guns ablazin!!!!

when I said guns...he thought taint.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"

Last edited by sike; 02-01-2006 at 11:16 AM.
Old 02-01-2006, 11:15 AM   #84
XERXES
Diamond Member

XERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud of

Quote:
well since I can't say anthing to free myself...I'm going out guns ablazin!!!!

when I said guns...the thought taint.
??????????
Old 02-01-2006, 11:17 AM   #85
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally Posted by XERXES
??????????
starred in a movie once: "The Good, the Bad, and The Taint"

the taint gets him in the end. (pun intended?)

Last edited by sike; 02-01-2006 at 11:17 AM.
Old 02-01-2006, 11:21 AM   #86
XERXES
Diamond Member

Quote:
starred in a movie once: "The Good, the Bad, and The Taint"

the taint gets him in the end. (pun intended?)

Are you into yoga...b/c you are stretchin' dude!!!

I guess this means..........................................I win!!!!
Old 02-01-2006, 07:35 PM   #87
Maringa
Golden Member

Maringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to all

The following is an interesting review I saw at another site. I didn't see the movie, so perhaps someone can confirm some of the comments below. If the gay movement was pinning their hopes on this movie as, it appears that they should have changed the story line to a happily ever after movie...

__________________________________________________ __

OK... Let me give you my review of "Brokeback Mountain." HERE BE SPOILERS - and don't get me wrong - this is serious but also SARCASTIC.

Brokeback Mountain - the movie of the year for the hateful anti-gay crowd

Are you looking for a movie that shows gays for what they are: drunken fornicators, liars and cheats?
Are you looking for a movie that proves men should never show affection for each other, lest they turn gay?
Are you looking for a movie that shows gays doing what they should: staying deep in the closet and living life according to traditional family values?
Are you looking for a movie in which gay men reap the consequences of their sin?

Then Brokeback Mountain is the movie for you.

Anyone who has a prejudiced opinion of gay men and the gay lifestyle will love Brokeback Mountain. After all, the two men - Jack and Ennis - first sodomize each other after drinking too much whiskey and sleeping in the same campsite (the latter a violation of their employer's rules.) We can clearly see that two lost men find themselves in a situation where one sin - drunkenness - leads to another - sodomy.

After they leave Brokeback Mountain, Jack and Ennis aren't content with their own lustful relationship. They go back home and lie to the women who become their wives, pretending to be good upstanding men when in fact they long for the day that they can meet up again for more unconscionable sex acts. They go so far as to lie to their wives about the purpose of their visits. Ennis's long-suffering wife properly honors her husband by giving him decades to repent of his sins, but he refuses and falls short of a proper father by quitting job after job to go on his trysts.

Even so, Jack is unfaithful. This movie shows another, even darker side of so-called "queer love": once a man falls, he will live according to his lusts. Jack can't keep himself from prowling after other men, even if it means crossing the border into Mexico and seeking an anonymous partner. He doesn't even take precautions to protect his wife and child from the diseases he could carry back. While Ennis longs for Jack's presence, Jack contents himself by double-crossing his own "partner."

Finally, in the end, we see Ennis lose everything in his life: his wife, custody of his children - even Jack. Jack pays the ultimate penalty when he tries to "move on" from Ennis to yet another man. What comes around goes around.

So, if you're anti-gay and you want to see a movie that will reinforce every stereotype you have about gay men, go see Brokeback Mountain. It will leave you full with the fire of righteous indignation.

Oh, and on a serious and anything-but-sarcastic note: If you happen to be gay: you should HATE this movie, because it reinforces every negative stereotype you've been trying to shed in your gay-rights movement. If your a feminist, you should HATE this movie because the women are either forced to live with their husbands' infidelity, or kept blissfully unaware in unfulfilling marriages. If you happen to be in Promise Keepers, you should HATE this movie, because it reinforces the stereotype that men can't have deeply fulfilling friendships with other men unless they are gay. If you have ANY sensibilities, you should HATE every word and every act in this movie, because it does nothing to break down stereotypes and everything to further polarize the debate over gay rights.

Enjoy the scenery!
Old 02-11-2006, 12:35 PM   #88
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

SaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud of

Well, given the general tone of this thread, I don't know how seriously this review will be taken, but here goes.

I finally got around to seeing Brokeback Mountain yesterday. I have seen several opinions claiming that this movie is only well-known due to its content, and the only reason it got so many award nominations is because of "liberal Hollywood," blah blah blah.

Those opinions are simply, completely, and totally untrue.

The reason this movie has garnered so many award nominations is because it's that damn good.

Ang Le will win Best Director, and he deserves it. Some of the shots in the first hour are absolutely stunning. The score of the film is haunting, building up a sensation of tension and longing, which is often mirrored by the expressions on the lead characters' faces.

After seeing Ray last year, I said to myself, "I wish I could have found someone ten years ago to give me odds on Jamie Foxx winning Best Actor." I certainly would have cleaned up. Well, if I could have added a parlay to that 5 years ago that Heath Ledger would win the very next year, I would have ended up a billionaire.

I don't think anyone can say that they expected Heath Ledger to ever be an amazing actor. Ledger proves everyone wrong here, and his portrayal of Ennis is magnificient. The scenes on the mountain and the sequence in Jack's childhood home are both carried by Ledger's performance, much of it done through facial expressions only. I haven't seen Capote, but Hoffman would have to be almost perfect to beat out Ledger for Best Actor this year.

I know that everyone on this board has an opinion on homosexuality. I'm not going to get into the politics of this film. I will only say that if you consider yourself a film fan, you would be doing yourself an incredible disservice to avoid Brokeback Mountain. Please go see it.

SaltwaterChaffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 01:04 PM   #89
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

I trust that you enjoyed it but I will never go see a movie where I know two guys are getting it on. There is not one shred of potentially interesting material in a movie in which that occurs.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 01:18 PM   #90
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Brokeback Mountain Banned in China, Middle East

By Terry Vanderheyden
BEIJING, February 10, 2006 (LifeSiteNews.com) – China, despite its poor record on human rights and outright ban on most non-state-run religion, still holds on to some traditional values abandoned by most western nations. These values have led censors there to ban the homosexual propaganda film, Brokeback Mountain.

On Wednesday, the United Arab Emirates followed suit, banning the film. More middle-eastern countries are expected to follow UAEs lead. The Emirates’ Ministry of Information decided to shelter its citizens from the “offensive, abnormal behaviours” depicted in the movie, adding that Brokeback Mountain would “destroy the values and morals of the society.” The Malaysian distributor for the film has not even bothered to ask the country for permission to air the spectacle.

“The film will upset the people of this culture and tradition,” said Dr Abdullah Al Amiri, Chairman of the Committee of Financial, Economical and Industrial Affairs of Sharjah Consultative Council, according to press reports. “The portrayal of the sexual behaviour of its main character is offensive to eastern societies, particularly Muslims and the Arabs since Islam forbids abnormal behaviours like homosexuality.”
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 02:14 PM   #91
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

It may be a great movie, but since I don't support the gay agenda I don't think I'll be giving this one a twirl.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 02:18 PM   #92
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

The ban is a bit too much, and I don't know of any movie that can “destroy the values and morals of the society.” While I don't have any interesting in watching it, I think people who do want to watch it should be able to. Then again, we are talking about people who want to go to war over a cartoon, I'd expect no less.
Old 02-11-2006, 02:54 PM   #93
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

SaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud of

First of all, I don't think there is any such thing as a "gay agenda" or a "gay lifestyle."

That being said, this movie doesn't promote homosexuality. I wish people would not see this as a homosexual love story, and see it as simply a love story.

Old 02-11-2006, 05:32 PM   #94
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

;

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 09-20-2022 at 09:16 PM.
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 06:06 PM   #95
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future

Whoa... slow down there. Let's not go dismissing all monkey sex in one fell swoop.

Regardless of sexual orientation, I'd probably sneak a peek if one of the monkeys was wearing a little sport coat or a hat or something. I mean that's the reason camera phones were invented.

Plus I'd wanna stick around to see if the monkeys smoked afterward. That would make an even better picture.

capitalcity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 06:46 PM   #96
raefformvp
Golden Member

raefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalcity
Whoa... slow down there. Let's not go dismissing all monkey sex in one fell swoop.

Regardless of sexual orientation, I'd probably sneak a peek if one of the monkeys was wearing a little sport coat or a hat or something. I mean that's the reason camera phones were invented.

Plus I'd wanna stick around to see if the monkeys smoked afterward. That would make an even better picture.
$0.46 large unsweet tea with extra ice and three packs of sweet n low from Chicken Express just spit all over monitor. thanks.

my boy cheering on the Mavs with his Mavs maraca and wearing his Jason Terry headband.
raefformvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 07:36 PM   #97
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Havent seen it. Probably will end up seeing it when my friends that are more into "artistic" movies invite me over under some other pretence and then watch it. I would like to know what Chaffy means by there is no such thing as a gay agenda or gay lifestyle. The agenda thing i can see what he means but there is such a thing as a gay lifestyle. Its called being homosexual. That is a gay lifestyle. Personally Im a christian so i feel that homosexuals are going to hell unless they repent but i also am not homophobic and i have some gay friends who are actually really nice guys. I have said as much to them about the homsexuality and sin thing. They disagreed. We never really talked about it again and since i have done my responsibility of talking about Christianity to them they are just like any other non believer that i know. They have their beliefs and i have mine and we allow each other to act according to our beliefs.

BTW sorry about going into all the religiousness but it basically shapes my entire feelings about homosexuality.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 07:40 PM   #98
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by raefformvp
$0.46 large unsweet tea with extra ice and three packs of sweet n low from Chicken Express just spit all over monitor. thanks.
Sorry Raef.

If you went to the new drive-in off eastchase you coulda got a fountain dublin dp. The nearest Chicken Express to me is in Lakeway. I usually have to wait until I'm driving home to stop off in Lorena to get my tender on.
Old 02-11-2006, 07:41 PM   #99
capitalcity
Diamond Member

To chaffy:

If there is no such thing as a "homosexual agenda" how do you explain MTV?
Old 02-11-2006, 07:55 PM   #100
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Totally agree. I quit watching next the first time i saw guys and guys. BTW, that show is a terrible show but a bunch of it is funny for the pure stupidity of the contestants.
Old 02-11-2006, 08:47 PM   #101
raefformvp
Golden Member

raefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant future

Quote:
Sorry Raef.

If you went to the new drive-in off eastchase you coulda got a fountain dublin dp. The nearest Chicken Express to me is in Lakeway. I usually have to wait until I'm driving home to stop off in Lorena to get my tender on.
apology accepted.

and the location on Eastchase is exactly where I purchaed my tea. love dublin dr.pepper in the bottle, but from the fountain? not so much. too, too sweet for me. I probably average buying about 10 teas from that location a week. not a coffee drinker, so tea is my pick me up. I usually buy two on my way home from school and drink one that night and stick the other in the fridge to take to school in the morning. sometimes I splurge and buy the gallon, but they have a sale going right now. 2 large ice teas only sets me back $1. what a deal!

back on the topic of the thread...I probably won't ever see the movie because I'm just not much into cowboys, shepherds, whatever, gay or not. and I know I should feel passionate one way or the other regarding whether the liberal media uses the entertainment industry to force the homosexual lifestyle down our throats, but I don't. I am a Christian and believe that any deviant lifestyle is wrong. that includes premarital sex. if I boycotted anything that went against the way I believe God wants us to carry on in our sexual lives, I would never be able to turn on the tv or radio or get on the internet, etc. I have family and friends who are openly gay. do I agree with their lifestyles? absolutely not. but, until I get the log out of my eye, I'm not going to judge them for the speck in theirs.

my boy cheering on the Mavs with his Mavs maraca and wearing his Jason Terry headband.
raefformvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 10:21 PM   #102
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

HAH!!! Greatness, absolute greatness.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
Old 02-11-2006, 10:52 PM   #103
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

How gay is it to play a gay actor in a movie especially when you have to make gay contact with another man? You wouldn't see Mel Gibson making out with another guy in a movie. Bruce Willis isn't going to feel some other guys nuts just to get his jollies off.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 12:08 AM   #104
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

I would like it if someone explained to me what a "gay lifestyle" consists of. A lifestyle is just what someone chooses to do.

All aspects of life. Not one aspect. Someone who is homosexual could easily get their kicks hanging out on the couch, watching sports and drinking beer.

Jthig: I don't recall asking anyone to do anything. However, I did say that I wish they would see a well-presented love story for what it is.

Cap: MTV is a cable station. It is allowed to present what it wants. They choose to cater to their demographics. A section of their demographic are young homosexuals. Do you question why Lifetime presents women's programming?

Murph: Part of being an actor (or a human being for that matter) is accepting challenges. Playing this part is certainly a challenge. And both actors accepted it, and did it wonderfully.

I wanted to thow out a review of this film, so I did it. I'm a little disappointed with the responses, but I can't say that I'm surprised. Ah well, it was worth a shot.

Old 02-12-2006, 09:33 AM   #105
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

;

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 03:47 PM   #106
Drbio
Banned

Chaffy- I've tried not to put a religious or political view on my response and think you would agree that I didn't even though I have strong opinions in both those arenas. However, you are asking me to accept this as a love story and to me (and obviously several others) it doesn't qualify in that category. It goes to me in a gay sex category. Politics and religion aside, that makes me disgustingly sick to my stomach. I have no desire to ever see two dudes in a romantic situation. It is an abomination of nature.

Here is the part I hope doesn't piss you off.....you are trying to make it ok for gay sex to be in a movie by generalizing it as a love story. This is not fair to those who disagree and is the entrance point to the political and religious debates. I cannot and will not accept this as a love story. It is a movie which promotes gay sex and I find that to be disgusting, all things political/religious aside.

More power to those who enjoy it. I and a significantly high number of others do not and we do not want it forced down our throats like we are oppressing someone. That is patently unfair and wrong.

Last edited by Drbio; 02-12-2006 at 03:47 PM.
Old 02-12-2006, 04:08 PM   #107
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

What if it would have featured a woman with a mustache?

Last edited by jthig32; 09-20-2022 at 09:17 PM.
Old 02-12-2006, 04:11 PM   #108
Five-ofan
Guru

Janet Reno wants to be an actress?
Old 02-12-2006, 04:15 PM   #109
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltwaterChaffy

Murph: Part of being an actor (or a human being for that matter) is accepting challenges. Playing this part is certainly a challenge. And both actors accepted it, and did it wonderfully.
Part of being an actor is accepting a challenge? Sure, but that doesn't mean that you accept any and all challenges. There could be a movie in which the writer and director challenge you to drink someone's vomit and then make out with a Laotian woman... Both of them would be challenging...neither of which I would want to do. But, just because you're an actor doesn't mean that you should accept the challenge. As an actor, that doesn't mean that you lose all sense of decency. I mean, who would want to make out with a Laotian, drink vomit, or make homosexual gay tongue love?
Old 02-12-2006, 04:23 PM   #110
capitalcity
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3
I mean, who would want to make out with a Laotian, drink vomit, or make homosexual gay tongue love?
Show me the money.
Old 02-12-2006, 05:37 PM   #111
dude1394
Guru

Damn 'city is flat on a roll here. LOL...
Old 02-14-2006, 12:39 AM   #112
capitalcity
Diamond Member

Magneto weighs in...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/4706092.stm
Hollywood 'resists gay US actors'

Sir Ian McKellen has said openly gay US actors are prevented from having successful Hollywood careers.

"It is very, very, very difficult for an American actor who wants a film career to be open about his sexuality," the gay British actor said. "And even more difficult for a woman if she's lesbian. It's very distressing to me that that should be the case."

The Lord of the Rings star added: "The film industry is very old fashioned in California."

He was speaking at the Berlin Film Festival, where he received a lifetime achievement award.

Sir Ian, 66, said Oscar-nominated cowboy love story Brokeback Mountain may open the door to more films about homosexuality. But the film industry was still reluctant to cast an openly gay man in a leading role, he said. The same was not true on Broadway, where people were "very at ease with being open and honest".

His career in mainstream films "really took off once I'd come out and said I was gay", he said.

The actor, who came out in 1988, is one of the film world's most high-profile openly gay stars. A number of other British actors such as Rupert Everett, Simon Callow and Sir Anthony Sher have publicly acknowledged their sexuality.

But fewer US actors have been willing come out and big names such as Rock Hudson and Montgomery Clift hid their sexuality for most of their lives.

While leading men may be discouraged from coming out of the closet, Hollywood has recently been praised by a gay rights group for making major films about gay characters. Brokeback Mountain, Capote and Transamerica all feature prominently in the Oscar nominations.

"This has been a landmark year for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender-inclusive films," said Neil G Giuliano, president of the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation.

"These are films with an emotional authenticity that have clearly connected with both gay and straight audiences alike.

"By telling our stories, this year's Oscar nominees have helped raise the visibility of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender issues and have given millions of Americans a greater understanding of who we are."

Last edited by capitalcity; 02-14-2006 at 12:40 AM.
capitalcity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 01:10 AM   #113
Drbio
Banned

It's only en vogue to act gay not be gay.
Old 02-14-2006, 01:25 AM   #114
capitalcity
Diamond Member

'Hate crime' in progress... HERO to the rescue. Whatever.

Gonzaga Students Asked To Stop Yelling 'Brokeback Mountain'

POSTED: 9:55 am PST February 13, 2006
http://www.kirotv.com/sports/7011667...sea&psp=sports

SPOKANE, Wash. -- Fans of No. 5 Gonzaga have been asked to stop yelling "Brokeback Mountain" at opposing players.

The reference to the recent movie about homosexual cowboys was chanted by some fans during Monday's game against Saint Mary's, and is apparently intended to suggest an opposing player is gay.

The chants were the subject of several classroom discussions over the past week, and the faculty advisers for the Kennel Club booster group urged students this week to avoid "inappropriate chants" during the Bulldogs' Saturday game against Stanford, which was nationally televised on ESPN.

"We implore the students of the Kennel Club to show the nation this weekend what makes Gonzaga different," Kennel Club advisers David Lindsay and Aaron Hill wrote in a letter in the student newspaper, the Bulletin. "We challenge the students of the Kennel Club to exhibit the class, the creativeness and the competitive drive that has become a foundation of this great university."

Mark Alfino, a professor of philosophy at Gonzaga, said the matter had been widely discussed by faculty and students.

"Many faculty members have brought up the discussion in their classes," he said. "They find none of the students have been comfortable with the chant, and that's a good sign."

Ryan Olson, the president of Helping Educate Regarding Orientation, a gay-straight alliance on campus, said the chants are just the latest incident that shows GU is struggling to make gays and lesbians welcome on campus.

In a letter to the Bulletin, the HERO membership wrote, "This is not even remotely the first time that Kennel Club chanters have chanted homophobic phrases at basketball games."

"A lot of people in the Kennel Club say it wasn't them" that chanted "Brokeback Mountain," Olson said. "But there's something to be said about apathy as well. Students didn't stop people from saying it."

In Friday's Bulletin, senior Callie Monroe wrote a column calling the chants a case of "outright discrimination."

"Imagine yourself as a homosexual individual in the midst of your peers, classmates and friends during this 'Brokeback Mountain' cheer," Monroe wrote. "I simply do not understand how a student body claiming to live by Jesuit principles of acceptance and respect for all can allow an incident like this to happen and remain silent."
Old 02-14-2006, 09:29 AM   #115
Drbio
Banned

They got a quote from a philosophy professor? That is like asking small children if they hate veggies.

As to the chant....let the kids have their collegiate moment of indiscretion. Good grief....people get bent over too much these days. Screw politicial correctness right up the pie hole.

Last edited by Drbio; 02-14-2006 at 09:29 AM.
Old 02-23-2006, 12:00 AM   #116
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

x

Last edited by MavKikiNYC; 03-06-2006 at 06:51 PM.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 03:16 PM   #117
Bookit
Diamond Member

Bookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud of

Anybody here seen Six Feet Under? I'll bet Brokeback Mountain has nothing on this show and nobody said a word about it. Good show actually. But Six Feet Under isn't a love story and I don't particularly like watching them, gay or strait. Having said that I will probably watch BM when it comes out on DVD. I will, however, pass on the sequal "Cornhole Creek".
Bookit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 03:45 PM   #118
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3
There could be a movie in which the writer and director challenge you to drink someone's vomit and then make out with a Laotian woman... Both of them would be challenging...neither of which I would want to do.
this was disappointing.
aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote