Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 07-03-2011, 01:05 PM   #1
gillybean

gillybean is on a distinguished road
Default Fernandez offered deal in Spain

Report: Mavs' Fernandez offered deal in Spain
07/03 9:16 AM

Mavericks guard Rudy Fernandez has reportedly been offered a six-year contract from Real Madrid that would make him the highest paid player in the history of the Spanish ACB.
Could Rudy Fernandez 's stay with the Dallas Mavericks be only temporary?

Less than two weeks after the draft-night trade that sent the 6-foot-6 Spanish shooting guard from the Portland Trail Blazers to the Mavericks, Fernandez has reportedly been offered a six-year contract from Real Madrid that would make him the highest paid player in the history of the Spanish ACB, the most successful professional league in Europe.

According to a report Sunday in the Spanish sports newspaper Mundo Deportivo, the struggling Real Madrid franchise hopes to revive its fortunes by luring the popular Fernandez, 26, back home with promises of riches he may not find in the NBA.

The newspaper said the proposed six-year deal amounts to about $4.35 million a year. Under the NBA's now-expired collective bargaining agreement, Fernandez was due to make $2.2 million next season, after which he could become a restricted free agent with a qualifying offer of $3.2 million for the 2012-13 season.

But with the NBA in the early stages of a potential protracted work stoppage, salaries are expected to become more restrictive under a new CBA and Fernandez, heading into his fourth NBA season, might find a second contract to be less lucrative than playing in his home country.

The report says that if Fernandez agreed to the Real Madrid deal, he would return to the Mavs whenever the 2011-12 NBA season begins, finish the season and then cut ties with the NBA to join the Spanish club.
Fernandez played three seasons with the Trail Blazers, averaging 9.1 points on 39.4 percent shooting. He is a career 36.4 percent shooter from 3-point range. He struggled during Portland's first-round playoff loss to Dallas, averaging 2.8 points on 22.2 percent shooting.

Because of the lockout, the Mavs officials are not permitted to speak with Fernandez or his representatives.

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/e...48484/30411582

From Russia w/Love to the Dallas Mavs class of 2011!
gillybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-2011, 02:34 PM   #2
MavsFTR
Golden Member

MavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud of

He seemed ecstatic to play with the Mavs. I bet he stays.
MavsFTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 02:35 PM   #3
mavsfan1000
Platinum Member

mavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the rough

He might as well go if this lockout is going to ruin the season anyways for the Mavs.
mavsfan1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 03:43 PM   #4
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Double his salary, a marquee position, 6 years and no assurance that there will be a league next year.

IMO he's gone.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 04:05 PM   #5
gillybean

gillybean is on a distinguished road

Well if the reports are accurate, I also don't know why he would choose to stay past the next season. Hard call Is there any way he could postpone his decision until after the 2012 season?

From Russia w/Love to the Dallas Mavs class of 2011!
gillybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 04:08 PM   #6
deamon
Golden Member

deamon is infamous around these partsdeamon is infamous around these partsdeamon is infamous around these partsdeamon is infamous around these partsdeamon is infamous around these partsdeamon is infamous around these partsdeamon is infamous around these partsdeamon is infamous around these partsdeamon is infamous around these parts

He wanted to back to Spain, he will do it.
Old 07-03-2011, 04:11 PM   #7
mavsfan1000
Platinum Member

mavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the rough

Portland knew something we didn't. lol
Old 07-03-2011, 04:31 PM   #8
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

he isn't getting that money in the U.S, probably as good as gone and im not shedding a tear
Old 07-03-2011, 04:33 PM   #9
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

This seems like a tough deal for him to pass up, especially considering he has been itching to get back to Spain for a while. Here's to hoping we can retain him beyond this season.

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 04:38 PM   #10
mavsfan1000
Platinum Member

How can he turn down playing for the world champions in the best league in the world?
Old 07-03-2011, 05:04 PM   #11
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Would you turn down double your salary for the same job in your hometown? Easy choice really.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
Old 07-03-2011, 05:12 PM   #12
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Hell, I'd turn $200,000 in New York to make $100,000 in Fort Worth.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 05:18 PM   #13
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

i live in San Diego but if I was offered to do double in crappy Fresno i would do it
Old 07-03-2011, 05:21 PM   #14
Thomas86
Golden Member

Thomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavsfan1000 View Post
Portland knew something we didn't. lol
Rudy was talking about going back to Spain from some time now, I hope the Mavs where aware of that before they traded for him.

Last edited by Thomas86; 07-03-2011 at 06:28 PM.
Thomas86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 05:22 PM   #15
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Hope he doesn't take it. And maybe I'm fooling myself here, but unless it's his general preference to go back to Europe to play, I have to say I'm not sure it wouldn't be a mistake for him to sign a long-term deal over there. The guy just landed in arguably the best possible situation for him as far as the NBA is concerned. Defending champs with the starting SG spot up for grabs running an offense that might as well have been tailored to match his skill set...it's not like there aren't risks with passing up long-term guaranteed money, but if the guy believes in his talent and has aspirations of making his mark in the best league in the world (and he clearly felt that way at some point or he wouldn't be over here now), his best chance at doing so just knocked on his door back on draft night.
Old 07-03-2011, 05:27 PM   #16
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

He'd be crazy to accept the deal, unless he's just completely done with the NBA.

He's about to get his fresh start with a new team. He stands to play significant minutes for this team next season. He'd be crazy to lock himself into a deal in Spain for money that he would easily make if he stayed here beyond next season.

I'd be pretty shocked if he took the deal. But if he does, I'd expect the Mavs to change their plans for next season and look to dump him. It's hard to see how he'd be focused next season knowing that he's done with the NBA after the season.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 05:40 PM   #17
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

...Tennis...
Old 07-03-2011, 05:41 PM   #18
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
He'd be crazy to accept the deal, unless he's just completely done with the NBA.

He's about to get his fresh start with a new team. He stands to play significant minutes for this team next season. He'd be crazy to lock himself into a deal in Spain for money that he would easily make if he stayed here beyond next season.

I'd be pretty shocked if he took the deal. But if he does, I'd expect the Mavs to change their plans for next season and look to dump him. It's hard to see how he'd be focused next season knowing that he's done with the NBA after the season.
Glad I'm not alone.

Anybody know if NBA teams are free to communicate with agents?
Old 07-03-2011, 05:51 PM   #19
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by grndmstr_c View Post
Glad I'm not alone.

Anybody know if NBA teams are free to communicate with agents?
Yep, I feel like this is a no-brainer to turn down. If he has a so-so year in Dallas, wouldn't he still have plenty of offers to play in Europe at that time?

I don't think teams can talk to agents. But I have to think there's a lot of grey area there. I'm sure plenty of agents represent coaches as well as players. I'm sure you could find a legitimate reason to speak to Rudy's agent right now if you really needed to.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 07-03-2011, 06:08 PM   #20
Jack.Kerr
Golden Member

Jack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post

I would be surprised if he goes anywhere anytime soon. I saw an interview with him about a week BEFORE the trade in which he said he wouldn't sign with a European team if it appeared the owners' lockout was going to last a couple of months; that he felt like it wouldn't be fair to the team he signed with to only go for a couple of months, and then leave mid-season when the NBA season resumed (presumably he was envisioning some kind of out-clause to return to the NBA). And again, this was BEFORE the trade with Dallas, about which he has seemed nothing but enthusiastic.

On the other hand, while he didn't address the subject of a season-long lockout, for a relatively low-earning player like he is, it seems like it would be difficult to begrudge them a whole season's earning power, particularly not knowing what the new CBA will mean for players like him. Who knows what the market will be? Players gotta eat.

FWIW, he seemed really humble in the interview, both in affect and in the content of what he said, and spoke admiringly of Brandon Roy, and how much Roy had helped him get acclimated to the league--no hint whatsoever of prima dona attitude or strained relations with teammates that Oregonian sportswriter/punk Jason Quick blathered on about to Galloway, and Fernández was really diplomatic about his relationship with Nate MacMillian, in a situation where he didn't necessarily have to be. Seems like he may've gotten a bit of an unfair rap by a hack sportswriter trying to sell stories and page hits.
Jack.Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 06:09 PM   #21
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

This deal is not nearly as impressive financially as it sounds. He won't take it unless he is still really homesick and just wants out of here and back to Spain.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 06:29 PM   #22
mavsfan1000
Platinum Member

Yeah. In the long term, he could make more in the NBA if he sticks with it.
Old 07-03-2011, 07:12 PM   #23
iella
Golden Member

iella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9 View Post
...Tennis...
How about that Djokavic, eh?
Old 07-03-2011, 07:31 PM   #24
mavsfan1000
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iella View Post
How about that Djokavic, eh?
Was rooting for Nadal. Knew he had it against him with the problems he's had with Djokovic the last 4 months.
Old 07-03-2011, 07:35 PM   #25
rmacomic
Platinum Member

rmacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9 View Post
...Tennis...
You know you could write articles and post them here, if you wanted.
Old 07-03-2011, 07:46 PM   #26
xrobx
Diamond Member

xrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond repute

if he decides to go, we're better off without him anyway. we need competitors on this team, not quitters

Last edited by xrobx; 07-03-2011 at 07:46 PM.
xrobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 08:37 PM   #27
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmacomic View Post
You know you could write articles and post them here, if you wanted.
I don't think he can. Mavs employee's can't comment on the lockout.
Old 07-03-2011, 08:38 PM   #28
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirno2000 View Post
I don't think he can. Mavs employee's can't comment on the lockout.
chicken dinner
Old 07-03-2011, 08:44 PM   #29
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to my world, BG. I'm never allowed to talk about my work.

And yes, tennis. Tennis, indeed.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 08:47 PM   #30
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with Thig, there's really no reason for him to lock himself into a long term deal when he doesn't know what his NBA market value is. If Real wants him now after the way he's played the last two seasons they'll want him next year.

Savvy move by them though. They offer him after the lockout when he can't communicate with the team about his role and their plans for him.
Old 07-03-2011, 09:39 PM   #31
xrobx
Diamond Member

xrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond repute

just make a new account and post anonymously. we'll pretend we don't know who you are.
Old 07-04-2011, 02:52 AM   #32
41mvp
Golden Member

41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice

he is gone.And we lost our draft pick

No one loves Dirk any more than I do
MY HEART-WHERE DIRK NOWITZKI IS AND ALWAYS WILL BE AN ALL-STAR
41mvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 07:19 AM   #33
Budapest Maverick
Platinum Member

Budapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant future

Playing in front of your family, friends, for more money, better weather, as a star, and not just a role player, yeah, tough choice. We can already start looking for another wing imo.

Last edited by Budapest Maverick; 07-04-2011 at 07:25 AM.
Budapest Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 08:00 AM   #34
stuportremens

stuportremens is a name known to allstuportremens is a name known to allstuportremens is a name known to allstuportremens is a name known to allstuportremens is a name known to allstuportremens is a name known to allstuportremens is a name known to allstuportremens is a name known to allstuportremens is a name known to all

IMO it would be smarter for Rudy to see how this season plays out at Dallas.
If he plays like in his first season or even better, that money (and more) can be easily made in the NBA as well. Not to mention the NBA is the bigger stage. He'll always be able to go back to Spain.

Last edited by stuportremens; 07-04-2011 at 08:00 AM.
stuportremens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 08:08 AM   #35
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budapest Maverick View Post
Playing in front of your family, friends, for more money, better weather, as a star, and not just a role player, yeah, tough choice. We can already start looking for another wing imo.
Then why did he come over here in the first place?

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 07-04-2011, 08:14 AM   #36
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

I'm not even sure that he actually CAN sign with a Euro team right now. Larry Coon even said it was a grey area. I also find it humorous that so many outlets are saying "he would honor his commitment to the Mavs after the lockout". Um...he doesn't have a choice. He has a contract.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 07-04-2011, 08:22 AM   #37
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuportremens View Post
IMO it would be smarter for Rudy to see how this season plays out at Dallas.
If he plays like in his first season or even better, that money (and more) can be easily made in the NBA as well. Not to mention the NBA is the bigger stage. He'll always be able to go back to Spain.
He might not be able to go back with the same deal.

What i am curious about is how binding these things are between the two leagues. Could he have signed Spain last year for example and vice-versa.
Old 07-04-2011, 08:26 AM   #38
mavs777
Diamond Member

I am not sure how you can think Fernandez would go an excess of basically a 6 year 25 million dollar deal with the upcoming CBA.
Old 07-04-2011, 09:01 AM   #39
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavs777 View Post
I am not sure how you can think Fernandez would go an excess of basically a 6 year 25 million dollar deal with the upcoming CBA.
Sure, you won't be able to get any 6-year contracts after the new CBA is in place, but that's just how the NBA is now - Europe has that advantage, but they're still a 2nd-rate league.

$25m/6 seasons = $4.2m/season... You don't think a guy who's earning $2.2m on the tail end of his rookie contract can earn more than $4.2m/season in the NBA?? Barea's worth that, and his ceiling isn't nearly as high as Rudy's.

All the boy needs to do is earn the starting SG spot on the champs and he'll easily be able to broker a deal comparable to what Spain is offering, if not better...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 09:11 AM   #40
mavs777
Diamond Member

I don't see Fernandez getting as much as Barea whether he deserves it or not, Fernandez is an 2 guard that hasn't scored effeciently in the league, he also isn't exactly a great defender. And his next contract will be probably about 3 years for 10-14 million in that range, when that contract is up he will be 30 and most likely get payed less. In sum in 6 years I don't see him making 25 million (nor do I see Barea for that matter).

Tags
return of the quack!, supwitchugirl