Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 05-09-2012, 01:25 PM   #1
Scott McGuire

Scott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to behold
Default Max and the Minimums

Sifting through the current threads there seems to be a consensus that the Mav's plan is to only play big for the few true Max players that exist and fill the rest in with cheap players. The strategy would be that capspace should never be used up on the "middle class".

aexchange referenced Charlie V in the Ersan thread and he is right on point. Detroit traded away Billups to create massive capspace. They used it on Charlie Villanueva and Ben Gordon. I hope we don't make the same mistake.

Where should the line be draw for people you are willing to to allocate max or near max dollars to?

Let's count all the players right now that we'd feel good offering a full Max contract.
Lebron
Howard
Wade
Paul
Griffin
Kobe (only for 2 seasons)
Durant
Westbrook
Love
Melo
Aldridge
Rose
Dirk (only for 2 seasons)
Deron

Fringe:
Bynum (attitude, but I'd do it anyway)
Curry (injury)
Wall (not sold yet, but I'd probably give it to him)
Irving (one more season like this and I'm sold)
Rondo (not quite)
Gasol (pretty far on the fringe)
Monroe (I don't know about others, but I'm tempted to put him as a lock)

I'm thinking that Donnie clearly has a list and Tyson isn't on it. (please don't make this thread about Tyson only)

Did I miss any?
Am I missing anyone?

Last edited by Scott McGuire; 05-09-2012 at 01:34 PM. Reason: thanks for the catch grndmstr_c
Scott McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-2012, 01:28 PM   #2
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

I don't see Deron on your list.
Old 05-09-2012, 01:41 PM   #3
Scott McGuire

Scott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by grndmstr_c View Post
I don't see Deron on your list.
I definitely meant to put Deron. I thought I wrote him already.

I think my point in writing this is that there are fewer true max players than I thought. There are less definite max players (14) than there are teams in the league (30). Despite this, 3 teams have 2 each with the Lakers being a 4th if you count Bynum or Gasol.

Letting go of Tyson WAS worth the chance at getting a shot at one or two true max players. They are that rare.
Old 05-09-2012, 02:17 PM   #4
Budapest Maverick
Platinum Member

Budapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant future

I think you've missed Gordon and Harden on the Fringe list, the 2 most talented young SG's of the league (on a sidenote, i'd never, ever give the max to Monroe) Gordon already had a 22 points 57-58TS% season if i'm not mistaken, and obviously Harden is tearing it up right now, averaging 19 point PER36 in the season, on an absolutely ridiculous 66%TS, and in the playoffs, he's above 20 point per game PER36 (19 points in 32 minutes!), on an even more amazing 68%TS. To Harden, i'd offer the max without hesitation at this point.

There is nothing the guy can't do, he has superstar potential, and playing up to his draft position. Some people forget, he was drafted 3rd, in a good draft. He can be a legit first option in this league. To Gordon, i only offer the max, if we strike out on Deron, and the FO are adamant to use the cap space, no matter what, so they can build a team around Dirk, and make him happy. In that case, i offer it to Gordon, because he's exactly the kind of player Dirk described as a need a couple days ago.

If it would be up to me and we can't get Deron, i'd do a "one year team" once again, sign guys for 1 year, and trade for expirings, and offer the max to Harden next year, if it doesn't happen, in 2014 you offer it to Wall (if he improves until then), if it doesn't happen again, no biggie. Once Dirk retires, you can suck like there is no tomorrow, and build through the draft. I like when people say that's not the way of Cubes, and we don't do that, but yeah, we kinda did that. We got our franchise player through the draft. Any move after that could only happen because of that move... Drafting Dirk Nowitzki. Draft, that's the only way if you can't sign them on rare occasions when they hit the FA market.

I honestly wouldn't mind a proper rebuilding once Dirk is done, and if giving away huge contract now would jeapordize that, i wouldn't do it. I mean, as much as i love Dirk, he won the chip already. It doesn't have to be about how we can give him the best shot so he can win another one in the next 2 years. The future of the Mavericks (after Dirk) is the most important thing at this point in my opinion, and if we can't get Deron, the best thing is maybe to maintain your future flexibility.
Budapest Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 02:37 PM   #5
Scott McGuire

I agree that Harden is on the fringe list. The only thing is he hasn't had a chance to be the man since he has 2 stars on his team.

I don't agree that Gordon is on the fringe right now. He looked extremely brittle. I guess since I put Curry on the fringe Gordon could slide on as well.

You have no hope that 21y/o Greg Monroe will ever be worth a Max contract? He averaged 15/10 on 52%FG as the focus of an offense. Not a great defender, but he has a lot of room to grow and be as good or better than LaMarcus Aldridge.

Going with only Max and minimums seems to be a very real strategy. You offer a very extreme path. Risking each season waiting for a FA superstar seems very risky.

Thanks for the discussion. The more I think about it I would be seriously interested to see what a James Harden led franchise could do.
Old 05-09-2012, 03:54 PM   #6
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

I'd only consider giving Harden a lucrative contract provided he'd agree to shave that fugly beard off.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 04:25 PM   #7
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

Cuban has always talked about managing player ability with salary. You got a Barea and Bass on one hand, then LaFrentz...via trade on another. But in recent years he's been buying players at good rates. I think winning the title last year, combined with the new CBA you will find living more by those economic guidelines and your list is what they are working from. They will banty a name around like....Batum or Hibbert, but realize what am I doing. Like I said that ring, guides them through those times they actually consider a max for a name like Batum or Hibbert...or even Rashard Lewis, you will see smart bidding, I think we'll be ahead of the curve once the market corrects itself in summer 2013.
Kidd Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 06:16 PM   #8
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Welp oden is out for the min-- only 1.5 seasons played since being drafted as the next David robinson in 2007

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 05-09-2012 at 06:16 PM.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:49 PM   #9
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

I bet someone will offer Harden a max contract. A team that will have to overpay to attract free agents. A team like Toronto comes to mind.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:04 PM   #10
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future

Harden is worth a max contract. He's a complete game changer and more valuable than Westbrook. Would love to see this guy in a Mavs uniform.
aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:09 PM   #11
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Harden is worth a max contract. He's a complete game changer and more valuable than Westbrook. Would love to see this guy in a Mavs uniform.
All those BS calls he gets repeatedly will immediately stop if he joins the Mavs. Harden gets more FTAs per minute (or per 36) than most superstars.

And as soon as the Dallas uniform is put on him... the league will stop calling all his flops.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:51 PM   #12
OneLove22

OneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to all

I wouldn't put Melo on there.

I'd take Bynum and Rondo over him.

Last edited by OneLove22; 05-10-2012 at 09:52 PM.
OneLove22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 12:47 AM   #13
OneLove22

OneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to all

I take that back about Bynum lol. This kid needs to grow up.

Also, Josh Smith anyone? I think he should be a bubble.
Old 05-11-2012, 07:56 AM   #14
Scott McGuire

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLove22 View Post
I take that back about Bynum lol. This kid needs to grow up.

Also, Josh Smith anyone? I think he should be a bubble.
Josh Smith is 26 and really good, but not a franchise player. I could maybe see him as a bubble, but there is nothing he could do to make me bump him up to a true max.

Carmelo hasn't been the so great since leaving Denver, but I'd still definitely offer him a max right now to join the Mavs…. No doubt I'd wager on him. He could be the #1 offensive option on a championship team. He needs good defense around him though.

Rondo…. I love his game. You could talk me into him being a bubble Max player. You'd have to have a certain kind of team to maximize his potential. Look how much better Nash was after going to Phoenix. Putting Rondo on a team with shooters and good defense and a good closer and he's doing great (Boston is great for him). Putting him on a team lacking shooters and asking his to close would be terrible.

Bynum is only a bubble because of his attitude and effort. Even with that you could definitely talk me into offering a potential best NBA center a max contract. You HAVE to feel like your coach can handle him. With a good attitude and effort he'd easily be a true max player.
Old 05-11-2012, 09:31 AM   #15
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by aexchange View Post
Superstar SG we have never had...

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 07:05 AM   #16
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayliss View Post
All those BS calls he gets repeatedly will immediately stop if he joins the Mavs. Harden gets more FTAs per minute (or per 36) than most superstars.

And as soon as the Dallas uniform is put on him... the league will stop calling all his flops.
He also travels... A lot. Literally every time he euro steps he travels. He picks the ball up a step before the euro step. Still love his game as long as he gets those calls. He's absolutely not better than Westbrook though. Westbrook is the best defensive pg in the league and absolute beast physically. I'd take him over rose
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:42 PM   #17
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

Here would be my max players

Max:
Durant
LBJ
Wade
Rose
Westbrook
Love
LMA
CP3
Bynum
Deron
Harden

Fringe/Potential future Max guys:
Anthony Davis
Kyrie Irving
Blake Griffin
Demarcus Cousins
Roy Hibbert

Last edited by mavs777; 05-14-2012 at 11:43 PM.
mavs777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:44 PM   #18
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

Monroe doesn't play defense btw
Old 05-14-2012, 11:44 PM   #19
mavs777
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayliss View Post

Not really.
Old 05-14-2012, 11:48 PM   #20
mavs777
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott McGuire View Post
Sifting through the current threads there seems to be a consensus that the Mav's plan is to only play big for the few true Max players that exist and fill the rest in with cheap players. The strategy would be that capspace should never be used up on the "middle class".

aexchange referenced Charlie V in the Ersan thread and he is right on point. Detroit traded away Billups to create massive capspace. They used it on Charlie Villanueva and Ben Gordon. I hope we don't make the same mistake.

Where should the line be draw for people you are willing to to allocate max or near max dollars to?

Let's count all the players right now that we'd feel good offering a full Max contract.
Lebron
Howard
Wade
Paul
Griffin
Kobe (only for 2 seasons)
Durant
Westbrook
Love
Melo
Aldridge
Rose
Dirk (only for 2 seasons)
Deron

Fringe:
Bynum (attitude, but I'd do it anyway)
Curry (injury)
Wall (not sold yet, but I'd probably give it to him)
Irving (one more season like this and I'm sold)
Rondo (not quite)
Gasol (pretty far on the fringe)
Monroe (I don't know about others, but I'm tempted to put him as a lock)

I'm thinking that Donnie clearly has a list and Tyson isn't on it. (please don't make this thread about Tyson only)

Did I miss any?
Am I missing anyone?
I am one of biggest Wall supporters and backers but he is not near worth a max contract yet he simply put does not score effeciently enough, Rondo stat pads assists and always leads a poor offense frankly i would say he is overrated. Also Melo isn't effecient enough.
Old 05-14-2012, 11:52 PM   #21
mavs777
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budapest Maverick View Post
I think you've missed Gordon and Harden on the Fringe list, the 2 most talented young SG's of the league (on a sidenote, i'd never, ever give the max to Monroe) Gordon already had a 22 points 57-58TS% season if i'm not mistaken, and obviously Harden is tearing it up right now, averaging 19 point PER36 in the season, on an absolutely ridiculous 66%TS, and in the playoffs, he's above 20 point per game PER36 (19 points in 32 minutes!), on an even more amazing 68%TS. To Harden, i'd offer the max without hesitation at this point.

There is nothing the guy can't do, he has superstar potential, and playing up to his draft position. Some people forget, he was drafted 3rd, in a good draft. He can be a legit first option in this league. To Gordon, i only offer the max, if we strike out on Deron, and the FO are adamant to use the cap space, no matter what, so they can build a team around Dirk, and make him happy. In that case, i offer it to Gordon, because he's exactly the kind of player Dirk described as a need a couple days ago.

If it would be up to me and we can't get Deron, i'd do a "one year team" once again, sign guys for 1 year, and trade for expirings, and offer the max to Harden next year, if it doesn't happen, in 2014 you offer it to Wall (if he improves until then), if it doesn't happen again, no biggie. Once Dirk retires, you can suck like there is no tomorrow, and build through the draft. I like when people say that's not the way of Cubes, and we don't do that, but yeah, we kinda did that. We got our franchise player through the draft. Any move after that could only happen because of that move... Drafting Dirk Nowitzki. Draft, that's the only way if you can't sign them on rare occasions when they hit the FA market.

I honestly wouldn't mind a proper rebuilding once Dirk is done, and if giving away huge contract now would jeapordize that, i wouldn't do it. I mean, as much as i love Dirk, he won the chip already. It doesn't have to be about how we can give him the best shot so he can win another one in the next 2 years. The future of the Mavericks (after Dirk) is the most important thing at this point in my opinion, and if we can't get Deron, the best thing is maybe to maintain your future flexibility.

You can't ignore Eric Gordon's injuries he has missed 103 games last 3 years, on that alone he isn't worth the max. I agree on harden, and your basic thought process which is high risk/high reward i agree on settling in that Atlanta/Denver range isn't what you want in the NBA.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:32 AM   #22
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

Harden to Minnesota makes too much sense not to happen.
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 10:03 AM   #23
Scott McGuire

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavs777 View Post
Here would be my max players

Max:
Durant
LBJ
Wade
Rose
Westbrook
Love
LMA
CP3
Bynum
Deron
Harden

Fringe/Potential future Max guys:
Anthony Davis
Kyrie Irving
Blake Griffin
Demarcus Cousins
Roy Hibbert
I see you left out Kobe and Dirk. I can accept that since I wouldn't offer either a full length max contract. Melo is a guy that I think has just had bad recent press. I think I'd still offer him a full length max contract. Griffin is a guy I could sour on but if he were available right now I'd definitely offer him a max deal (although he'd be a terrible fit with Dirk, but so would LMA and Love)

I accept Harden. Anthony Davis and Cousins are not currently guys I'd offer but I see the potential you do. Roy Hibbert is where I disagree. I don't think he was potential to be a true max top 15NBA player. I think he will certainly get a max deal because all bigs get overpaid.

In response to you comments on my list:
I'm not sold on Rondo or Wall yet, but I think they are nearly there. If Wall had a good stable situation with a hard nosed coach like Pop or Thibs, I would be confident he would curb his terrible offensive decisions. Rondo is almost a young JKidd. He needs to be in a good situation though. I will say that I doubt Rondo ever makes the jump. Wall has a higher ceiling, but Kyrie Irving is definitely better than both right now.
Greg Monroe can learn to play D. He is an efficient low post player who passes well, shoots free throws well, rebounds great and is 21!! You can't put Cousins on the fringe (his TS% is terrible by the way) and not put Monroe with his potential.

Last edited by Scott McGuire; 05-15-2012 at 10:05 AM.
Scott McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 01:50 PM   #24
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan View Post
He also travels... A lot. Literally every time he euro steps he travels. He picks the ball up a step before the euro step. Still love his game as long as he gets those calls. He's absolutely not better than Westbrook though. Westbrook is the best defensive pg in the league and absolute beast physically. I'd take him over rose
I think this is going to turn into a debate over blondes versus brunettes. Westbrook and Rose are both overrated. Westbrook has horrible decision making instincts and is absolutely atrocious in the half court. Maybe I'm old school, but given my choice of giving max contracts to elite scorers or playmakers who make others better, I'd much rather have the playmaker versus an elite scorer. I'll take Harden any day over Westbrook and am probably in the minority on this one, but Westbrook just reminds me too much of Starbury.
aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 02:12 PM   #25
Scott McGuire

Quote:
I think this is going to turn into a debate over blondes versus brunettes. Westbrook and Rose are both overrated. Westbrook has horrible decision making instincts and is absolutely atrocious in the half court. Maybe I'm old school, but given my choice of giving max contracts to elite scorers or playmakers who make others better, I'd much rather have the playmaker versus an elite scorer. I'll take Harden any day over Westbrook and am probably in the minority on this one, but Westbrook just reminds me too much of Starbury.
Harden is a really interesting player. He is somewhere around Manu and Wade in terms of style and (potential) production. If he keeps shooting the way he did this year and can do it as a #1 option then he is a 1st or 2nd team All NBA player. Westbrook already was 2nd team All NBA last year.

I'd be super happy to add either one, but for obvious longterm reasons I love players whose skills aren't based solely on athleticism. Give me Love and Aldridge over Griffin. For the next 8-10 years, give me Harden over Westbrook.
Old 05-16-2012, 12:58 AM   #26
OneLove22

Quote:
Josh Smith is 26 and really good, but not a franchise player. I could maybe see him as a bubble, but there is nothing he could do to make me bump him up to a true max.

Carmelo hasn't been the so great since leaving Denver, but I'd still definitely offer him a max right now to join the Mavs…. No doubt I'd wager on him. He could be the #1 offensive option on a championship team. He needs good defense around him though.

Rondo…. I love his game. You could talk me into him being a bubble Max player. You'd have to have a certain kind of team to maximize his potential. Look how much better Nash was after going to Phoenix. Putting Rondo on a team with shooters and good defense and a good closer and he's doing great (Boston is great for him). Putting him on a team lacking shooters and asking his to close would be terrible.

Bynum is only a bubble because of his attitude and effort. Even with that you could definitely talk me into offering a potential best NBA center a max contract. You HAVE to feel like your coach can handle him. With a good attitude and effort he'd easily be a true max player.
I pretty much agree with this, although I still think Melo stops the flow of an offense.

Rondo is awesome, even when the Celtics have injuries he carries them. I agree they are a great fit though due to all the options he has, he knows that offense and just racks up assists, love watching him play. However, I agree with a poor team around him he might struggle; but in a good team he could get max or just about max.

I also agree Bynum could be the best center in the league if he wanted. Sometimes I feel like he is only playing for a pay check though.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:50 AM   #27
Budapest Maverick
Platinum Member

Budapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant future

Quote:
I would also argue that Harden is a better scorer than Westbrook.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:51 AM   #28
Budapest Maverick
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spreedom View Post
Harden to Minnesota makes too much sense not to happen.
They would be unstoppable on offense, but we don't know if Harden even wants to be the man elsewhere. In Oklahoma, he'll always be the third wheel, that's for sure, but maybe he's content with it.

Last edited by Budapest Maverick; 05-16-2012 at 06:52 AM.
Old 05-16-2012, 03:37 PM   #29
Scott McGuire

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLove22 View Post
I pretty much agree with this, although I still think Melo stops the flow of an offense.

Rondo is awesome, even when the Celtics have injuries he carries them. I agree they are a great fit though due to all the options he has, he knows that offense and just racks up assists, love watching him play. However, I agree with a poor team around him he might struggle; but in a good team he could get max or just about max.

I also agree Bynum could be the best center in the league if he wanted. Sometimes I feel like he is only playing for a pay check though.
Melo with he down year still has a PER over 21. He does use the ISO a lot, but so does Dirk. Melo even had 3.6 assists/game this year. I'd still give him the Max with his ability to be your main scorer for the next 5 years.

With Rondo and Bynum I agree on all accounts. That's why both are only fringe Max players right now.
Old 05-16-2012, 03:52 PM   #30
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budapest Maverick View Post
They would be unstoppable on offense, but we don't know if Harden even wants to be the man elsewhere. In Oklahoma, he'll always be the third wheel, that's for sure, but maybe he's content with it.
If you asked him his first or second year, he would have jumped. He highlighted the fact that he should have been the man given his draft status as the 3rd overall pick. But now that he's a developed veteran of the league, he sees his value isn't given to him, it's earned, now if OKC doesn't pony up something close to the max value, I can see him 1 yearing it, then going shopping.
Old 05-16-2012, 04:09 PM   #31
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Quote:
Melo with he down year still has a PER over 21. He does use the ISO a lot, but so does Dirk. Melo even had 3.6 assists/game this year. I'd still give him the Max with his ability to be your main scorer for the next 5 years.

With Rondo and Bynum I agree on all accounts. That's why both are only fringe Max players right now.
Melo is great at the ISO, when it's crunch time, he's one of those guys you don't mind isolating, just like Dirk, playoff time, crunch time, one possession at a time, you get the rock to your bread and butter. He's worth the max. Plus he has the size to play the 4 and the skill set to dominate the 3 spot.
Old 05-16-2012, 05:22 PM   #32
mavs777
Diamond Member

Here are some of the players meantioned TS% (true shooting %, while hollinger isn't perfect imo this is a very good tool that best defines the effeciency of a scorer between FG%/Three point%/FT %/ FT rate, in other words it determines the effeciency of a players shooting (not playmaking based on A/TO and stuff like that)

TS%:
1. James Harden 66%
2. Kevin Durant 61% (for a player of his usage that gets the defensive attention he gets
3. Lebron 60.5 %
4. Bynum 59.4 %
5. Paul 58.1 %
6. Dwight 56.9 %
7. Love 56.8 %
8. Kyrie 56.6 %
9. Monroe 56.3 %
10. Pau 54.7 %
11. Dirk 56.4 %
12. LMA 56 %
13. Wade 55.9 %
14. Griffin 55.7 %
15. Gordon 54.9 % (only 9 games)
16. Westbrook 53.8 %
17.Deron 52.7%
18.Kobe 52.7 %
19. Carmelo 52.5
20. Wall 50.2 %
21. Rondo 48.3 %
Old 05-17-2012, 09:25 AM   #33
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
As an offensive player, it's close. Westbrook is the second best fast break player in the league and a great finisher. If you wanna go harden I have no problem with it though... Defensively, Westbrook is the best defensive of in the MBA and his d was a huge reason we lost that series. That's what separates the two for me. I have no problem taking the dominant offensive player over the more well rounded player if the offensive player is a guy who completely distorts defenses and dominates completely offensively(ala dirk over kg) but if they are both secondary scorers, give me the all world defender
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 09:33 AM   #34
markus1234
Platinum Member

markus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Here are some of the players meantioned TS% (true shooting %, while hollinger isn't perfect imo this is a very good tool that best defines the effeciency of a scorer between FG%/Three point%/FT %/ FT rate, in other words it determines the effeciency of a players shooting (not playmaking based on A/TO and stuff like that)

TS%:
1. James Harden 66%
2. Kevin Durant 61% (for a player of his usage that gets the defensive attention he gets
3. Lebron 60.5 %
4. Bynum 59.4 %
5. Paul 58.1 %
6. Dwight 56.9 %
7. Love 56.8 %
8. Kyrie 56.6 %
9. Monroe 56.3 %
10. Pau 54.7 %
11. Dirk 56.4 %
12. LMA 56 %
13. Wade 55.9 %
14. Griffin 55.7 %
16. Westbrook 53.8 %
17.Deron 52.7%
18.Kobe 52.7 %
19. Carmelo 52.5
20. Wall 50.2 %
21. Rondo 48.3 %
TS% favours guys with lots of FT-A.

Devin 6.6-15.1 .438 0.9-3.2 .291 7.2-8.8 .820 TS% 563
Dirk 9.6-20.0 .479 0.8-2.1 .359 6.0-6.7 .890 TS% 564

just saying

Last edited by markus1234; 05-17-2012 at 09:51 AM.
markus1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 03:32 PM   #35
|_Jeff_|

|_Jeff_| has a spectacular aura about|_Jeff_| has a spectacular aura about|_Jeff_| has a spectacular aura about

You have to consider that max is different from one player to the next. For Dwight a max contract means $20M+. For a FA coming off rookie contract like Hibbert, Max contract means about $13M. Hibbert will definitely be a maxed out player next year and deserves it.
|_Jeff_| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 03:35 PM   #36
|_Jeff_|

|_Jeff_| has a spectacular aura about|_Jeff_| has a spectacular aura about|_Jeff_| has a spectacular aura about

Quote:

TS%:
1. James Harden 66%
3. Lebron 60.5 %
4. Bynum 59.4 %
5. Paul 58.1 %
6. Dwight 56.9 %
7. Love 56.8 %
8. Kyrie 56.6 %
9. Monroe 56.3 %
10. Pau 54.7 %
11. Dirk 56.4 %
12. LMA 56 %
13. Wade 55.9 %
14. Griffin 55.7 %
16. Westbrook 53.8 %
17.Deron 52.7%
18.Kobe 52.7 %
19. Carmelo 52.5
20. Wall 50.2 %
21. Rondo 48.3 %
Not sure why Tyson Chandler was left off. He ranked #1 in the league at 71% for players that played qualifying minutes. Maybe not enough FGA to Qualify for this list?

Last edited by |_Jeff_|; 05-27-2012 at 03:35 PM.
Old 05-27-2012, 05:34 PM   #37
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by |_Jeff_| View Post
Not sure why Tyson Chandler was left off. He ranked #1 in the league at 71% for players that played qualifying minutes. Maybe not enough FGA to Qualify for this list?
That list only includes potential max-salary players.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 05-27-2012 at 05:36 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 05:39 PM   #38
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
You have to consider that max is different from one player to the next. For Dwight a max contract means $20M+. For a FA coming off rookie contract like Hibbert, Max contract means about $13M. Hibbert will definitely be a maxed out player next year and deserves it.

Actually, that's not the case anymore since the new CBA was passed:

Quote:
The maximum amount of money a player can sign for is contingent on the number of years that player has played and the total of the salary cap. The maximum salary of a player with 6 or fewer years of experience is either $9,000,000 or 25% of the total salary cap (2010–11: $14,511,000), whichever is greater. For a player with 7-9 years of experience, the maximum is $11,000,000 or 30% of the cap (2010–11: $17,413,200), and for a player with 10+ years of experience, the maximum is $14,000,000 or 35% of the cap (2010–2011: $20,315,400).

Under the 2011 CBA, maximum salaries, as expressed as a percentage of the cap, remained mostly unchanged. However, a player coming off his rookie scale contract is eligible to sign for 30% of the cap if he appeared in two All-Star Games, was named to an All-NBA Team twice, or was named MVP. This was dubbed the "Derrick Rose Rule" after the 2011 MVP. In addition, newly signed contracts now have a maximum duration of five years for players with Bird rights and four years for all other players (including sign-and-trade acquisitions). Every team is allowed one "designated player" who receives a five-year maximum extension on his rookie scale contract.

Old 05-27-2012, 06:05 PM   #39
|_Jeff_|

@underdog

Are you sure? I think that quote comes from Wikipedia. The new CBA info I'm reading comes from Larry Coon's 2011 NBA CBA FAQ.

Quote:
Here are the league-wide maximum salaries. Note that there are exceptions to the maximum salary (see question number 17).
Years in NBA1 Defined maximum salary 2011-12
0 - 6 ......... 25% of cap2 $12,922,194
7 - 9 ........ 30% of cap2 $15,506,632
10+ ......... 35% of cap2 $18,091,071
The "two all-star game" rule applies but Hibbert has only made one. So his max should be about $13M under the new CBA, according to Coon's FAQ here.

JB
_.(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)

Last edited by |_Jeff_|; 05-27-2012 at 06:06 PM.
Old 05-27-2012, 06:18 PM   #40
Underdog

Quote:
@underdog

Are you sure? I think that quote comes from Wikipedia. The new CBA info I'm reading comes from Larry Coon's 2011 NBA CBA FAQ.

The "two all-star game" rule applies but Hibbert has only made one. So his max should be about $13M under the new CBA, according to Coon's FAQ here.

JB
I stand corrected. Nice resource, just bookmarked it.

I thought Hibbert was an All-Star last year too, but I guess not...