Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 02-24-2006, 08:09 AM   #1
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Autistic kid: 6 3-pointers in 4 min

Good Grief! I've got to start watching more tv. I can't believe I missed this (sorry if it's a repost)

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/...373/1007/RSS02

(February 24, 2006) — My son called me not long after the game ended. He sounded out of breath, and I soon understood why. After witnessing perhaps the most compelling sports performance he will ever see at any level, he and scores of other Greece Athena students flooded the basketball court and hoisted Jason McElwain onto their shoulders.
"Dad, you wouldn't believe what happened," he shouted into his cell phone. "J-Mac got into the game and hit six 3-pointers. It was wild. It was like a scene out of a movie."
. . .

When it comes to drama and inspiration, Rudy has nothing on J-Mac. This is Rocky times six.
Hey, it isn't every day when a student manager with autism suits up for his first varsity game and scores 20 points.
. . .

After cutting Jason before the season, Johnson asked the young man to stay on as manager and hinted that he might get an opportunity to suit up for a game. Before the Athena home finale on Feb. 15, Johnson told Spencerport coach Josh Harter that he might try to get "a special ed kid" some playing time on Senior Night, and Harter was all for it.
Jason was so excited when Johnson motioned for him to enter the game that the manager-turned-player had to be reminded to report to the scorer's table.

His varsity debut did not begin auspiciously. He tossed up an airball from the corner on his first shot, then barely missed a running one-hander.
. . .

"I groaned and put my head in my hands," Johnson recalls. "I said, 'Please, God, let him score.'" The next time Athena brought the ball down the floor, Johnson's prayers were answered. Swish. Nothing but net. The crowd went wild.
Little did anyone know that Jason was merely warming up.
. . .

Last edited by Usually Lurkin; 02-24-2006 at 09:12 AM.
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-2006, 10:11 AM   #2
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

What a fantastic story!!!!!!
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 10:38 AM   #3
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

For video, scroll down and select the story. Then scroll to the bottom of the page and hit play.

http://www.krem.com/video/playlist.html

ROCHESTER, NY - Greece Athena senior, Jason Mcelwain put on quite a show. He scored 20 points in the final 4 minutes of the game. Mcelwain is autistic and has served as the team's student trainer for 4 years. His coach had him suit up for senior night and Mcelwain was called off the bench with his team leading by 20 points. In the first game he ever played in.. Mcelwain set a school record with six 3 pointers!
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 10:43 AM   #4
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

The interview the next day was cool too.

http://www.wroctv.com/sports/story.asp?id=10211
Old 02-24-2006, 10:51 AM   #5
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

That's just outstanding stuff. Thanks to UL and MFFL for the story and links.
Old 02-24-2006, 11:03 AM   #6
Pongo
Golden Member

Pongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to all

i habe seen it on CNN the other day - amazing kid. it was really touching! great guy
Old 02-24-2006, 11:28 AM   #7
orangedays
Platinum Member

orangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant future

Amazing...haha he's got a nice Shawn Marion shot going as well. Great story...
orangedays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 11:48 AM   #8
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

I saw this and recorded it when it reran on Sportscenter. The crowd held their collective breaths as he shot each three, then exploded after each make. Even the Sporscenter announcer was clearly moved when he said "In this job, sometimes you think you do this too much, sometimes you think you do this enough, but sometimes you see things that make you think 'we don't do enough of this.'" It was also #1 in Sportscenter's Top Ten. They also showed an interview the day after in which "J-mac" said "I was hot like a pistol!"

Great stuff.
Old 02-24-2006, 12:02 PM   #9
Arne
Golden Member

Arne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangedays
Amazing...haha he's got a nice Shawn Marion shot going as well. Great story...
Man, don't insult the kid like that...

Nah, seriously, a great story and truely moving. I mean, just think about what this means for this kid. That must have been the moment of his life so far. And if the kid can shoot like that, I'd play him some more... Autistic kids often have some really special gifts and this might be one of this kid.

"Truth is treason in the empire of lies." - Ron Paul The Revolution - A Manifesto
Arne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 12:11 PM   #10
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

One complaint about the thread..it should have been posted in the lounge so that more people could see this... This definitely isnt' the most viewed section on this site....but, everyone needs to see this.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 12:36 PM   #11
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3
One complaint about the thread..it should have been posted in the lounge so that more people could see this... This definitely isnt' the most viewed section on this site....but, everyone needs to see this.
If a mod wants to move it, that's perfectly allright with me.
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 01:25 PM   #12
wescx

wescx will become famous soon enoughwescx will become famous soon enough

I saw this on CNN yesterday, just awesome.

When they started off saying he scored 20 points in 4 minutes I figured the other team sort of "helped" him or something, then I saw the video of him making threes with a hand in his face. Awesome.
Old 02-24-2006, 11:32 PM   #13
MFFL
Guru

I'm watching last night's Inside the NBA and they are showing the clip of the 4 minutes. All the announcers are really supportive and are happy for the kid. In fact, Barkley said the coach should be fired since he had that amazing weapon on his bench and had never played him all year. Called him Microwave.
Old 02-24-2006, 11:58 PM   #14
XERXES
Diamond Member

XERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud of

that is one of the best things i've ever come across on this board. absolutely beautiful.

(mods- please move this to the lounge so more people can enjoy it.)
Old 02-25-2006, 12:22 AM   #15
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

Awesome. We may see a movie about this in the future.

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 03:46 AM   #16
Hitman
Golden Member

Hitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to all

I saw this yesterday and man....unbelievable.

Too freaking cool.

Put Your Brand On Everyone's Lips: http://www.java-ads.com
Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 05:35 AM   #17
Arne
Golden Member

Arne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFFL
I'm watching last night's Inside the NBA and they are showing the clip of the 4 minutes. All the announcers are really supportive and are happy for the kid. In fact, Barkley said the coach should be fired since he had that amazing weapon on his bench and had never played him all year. Called him Microwave.
These are moments when I absolutely love Barkley...

"Truth is treason in the empire of lies." - Ron Paul The Revolution - A Manifesto
Arne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 02:29 PM   #18
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

J-Mac gets to meet the president!
Old 03-15-2006, 03:25 PM   #19
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

Quote:
March 15, 2006 — There are some moments in life when time stands still. For Jason McElwain — known to his classmates in Rochester, N.Y., as "J-Mac" — those moments seem to be happening a lot lately.

Jason, who suffers from autism and learning disabilities, is now known throughout the country for sinking six three-point shots and one field goal in four minutes. For three seasons, he never played on his high school basketball team but rather acted as a motivator and team manager.

"I've never shot that well in my life," said Jason, 16.

His story of overcoming disabilities struck a chord with President Bush, who met Jason.

"As you can see, a special person has greeted me at the airport," Bush said when they met, taking Jason by the arm. "Jason, mind if I call you 'J-Mac?' I'll call him J-Mac. You can call me George W."

Jason and his mother, Debbie McElwain, were excited to meet the president, and she coached her son on how to react to one of the most powerful men in the world. It's been just one of the many changes that have occurred since the miracle game. The family has fielded 35 movie offers, and McElwain said the phone rang nonstop.

"Well, we've lost a lot of sleep, and we've had a lot of phone calls," she said. "The phone calls have died down, but every once in awhile we have to take the phone off the hook so we could take a break."

The president said that Jason's story had inspired many people, including himself.

"Saw it on TV and I wept, just like a lot of other people," Bush said. "It's just one of those stories that touched a lot of people's hearts. You probably didn't realize the impact you were going to have on people all across America and around the world."

For his part, Jason didn't realize just how the world would embrace him.

"I didn't realize that until e-mails came from families and kids with autism," he said. "Autism doesn't affect me at all."

Now, Jason has his sights on March Madness. He predicts the University of Connecticut will take it all because the team is more athletic than Duke, a team he said has a penchant for choking. His favorite college player is Gerry McNamara, known as G-Mac, who led Syracuse to an amazing run in the Big East tournament.

"As you can tell, he's very involved in basketball," his mother said.

Website - www.thegamesector.com
Hell bent 100% Texan 'til I die.
LonestarROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 03:43 PM   #20
xraided199

xraided199 has much to be proud ofxraided199 has much to be proud ofxraided199 has much to be proud ofxraided199 has much to be proud ofxraided199 has much to be proud ofxraided199 has much to be proud ofxraided199 has much to be proud ofxraided199 has much to be proud ofxraided199 has much to be proud ofxraided199 has much to be proud ofxraided199 has much to be proud of

yeah i saw the clips to him meeting the President last night. I love this whole story, its incredible, i think Neil Everett of Sportscenter mumbled "gives me that chicken skin everytime" i guess meaning goosebumps...and he's so right. Incredible story
xraided199 is offline   Reply With Quote