Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 07-23-2002, 05:25 PM   #1
dallmav

dallmav is on a distinguished road

The Texas Rangers are talking with the Seattle Mariners about a trade involving Kenny Rogers. If he doesnt want to go to Ohio, what makes them think he would really want to go to Seattle. Seattle is a few thousand miles farther away from his family.
dallmav is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-2002, 05:52 PM   #2
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

Rogers didn't want to go to a team that may or may not make the playoffs (Cinci is 2nd in division and third in the wildcard race). Seattle almost certainly will make the playoffs.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2002, 06:06 PM   #3
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, but what are the chances Seattle will give us any good prospects?

then again, we could probably use just about any non-infielder [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2002, 07:39 PM   #4
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

His agent said Rogers rejected the trade to stay near his family. If that's truely the case, he won't be going to Seattle.

The one thing I don't understand is why in the 2 biggest/most serious trade rumors involving the rangers, the top prospect the rangers would have received in each trade would have been 2nd basemen. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Website - www.thegamesector.com
Hell bent 100% Texan 'til I die.
LonestarROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2002, 10:54 PM   #5
OzMavs
Platinum Member

OzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud of

Well, not the real thing, but close. Maybe this is what the Rangers have to settle for.

Men who look like Kenny Rogers

I'll buy you a drink: HERE

NOW WITH FREE REP WITH EVERY DRINK!!
OzMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2002, 11:22 PM   #6
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Right now, I think Kenny is a tool.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2002, 08:31 AM   #7
TheKid
Diamond Member

TheKid is on a distinguished road

Uhhmm does anyone remember Fred McGriff when the Tampa Bay Devil Rays wanted to trade him last year. I believe it was the Twins or someone and he said he wanted to stay in Florida (a last place team) to be closer to family. Then the Cubs came calling and what happened, he LEFT... I could see Rogers doing the same thing.
Old 07-24-2002, 08:41 AM   #8
Drbio
Banned

In todays DMN, Kenny is quoted as saying he stayed for family....then immediately he says he would leave for the right deal. it's money. It's always money. The guy lied about family he just didn't want to go to Cincy. I wish we could package Kenny and his lover Palmeiro and ship them to japan for some good sushi. Damn no-trade clauses.
Old 07-24-2002, 08:43 AM   #9
Drbio
Banned

2nd baseman thing. I heard Hart say the other day that he wanted Young to start thinking about center field in the offseason. Maybe they are wanting to move him there. Just something I heard.
Old 07-24-2002, 09:26 AM   #10
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

How could it be money, Doc? He's getting paid his value on this year's contract whether he's in Arlington or New Zealand.

And the Rangers offered to pick up most of what's left on his salary in the Cincy deal, my guess is they would do the same on a deal to another team.
Old 07-24-2002, 09:47 AM   #11
Drbio
Banned

From the Cincy papers.......

"Rogers is negotiating a fee to waive his no-trade clause much like the one Fred McGriff obtained to waive his no-trade rights to the Cubs. "
Old 07-24-2002, 09:53 AM   #12
Drbio
Banned

Rumor has it (yes rumor) that the Reds turned down Rogers request for a 2 year deal to waive his no-trade. Smart move by the Reds if that is true.

In the Rogers stories today in Seattle (The Times) and in the DMN, Rogers expresses his desire to pull in a two year deal and he is using it for ransom on trades. It's money alright.

I admit I am pissed at all players over this years labor garbage so I may be on a rant, but it is always about the money when the players are concerned. I don't give a shit what they say. The pine away at how the fans get screwed but they have NEVER...NOT ONCE...given anything at the bargaining table to benefit the fans. The owners have in the form of a certain number of guaranteed tickets being available at certain prices, freebies, etc. It's small potatoes, but the players are greedy bastards. If they cannot live on 2.48 million (this years average) then screw them. The cashiers at McDonalds don't bitch when the owner makes money. The players should realize the owners OWN the team and have the right to make money. If they don't like it, let them work at Wal-Mart or somesuch and see how far that salary goes. Bunch of greedy pricks [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]
Old 07-24-2002, 10:14 AM   #13
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

He was given that right when the Rangers gave him that no-trade clause. That's life.

How can you be sympathetic for the owners when they're just as guilty? They sign these deals, too, ya know. The players are just trying to get their piece of the pie. The owners have always responded by making the pie bigger. And it continues to escalate.
Old 07-24-2002, 10:25 AM   #14
Drbio
Banned

(not trying to be pissy to you Rhylan)

Rogers made it about money when he asked for compensation to waive his no-trade. You asked and that is the answer.

The owners don't get off scott free of course, but if I owned a business and my employees acted like the mlb players have....I'd shitcan the whole lot of em and get people who really wanted that job to replace them. I cannot imagine how cool it would be to play baseball for a living. those guys have lost sight on reality and yes, this time it is squarely on the players IMO.
Old 07-24-2002, 10:56 AM   #15
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

That's what I'd do if I was an owner, too. Fans will embrace the game if it's played right.

But I'm a capitalist, and as long as the owners are giving players the credit for bringing in the fans, then as players, they should be trying to get as much of the revenue as they can. And if they truly believe that it's all them -- then the owners should let them walk, bring in replacements, and get creative with promotions.

I'll tell you right now I'd go watch replacement players. I'm also telling you that if I was a current player, I'd be a scab. Screw the union. If it was me, my employment would between me and my owner.
Old 07-24-2002, 11:32 AM   #16
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

I wish the owners would lock out the players and use replacements. Greedy bastards.
Old 07-24-2002, 02:21 PM   #17
TheKid
Diamond Member

TheKid is on a distinguished road

Supposedly there's a strike set for September sometime.. Which will be detrimental for baseball. Not only will they strike but they'll do it right before the playoffs, yeah, that will go over real well with the fans.
Old 07-24-2002, 05:38 PM   #18
Drbio
Banned

If they strike I will never set foot in another MLB park again. And I will never buy a shirt, a ballpark hotdog (sniff) or a stadium beer (now you know I'm serious). I will forever revolt against baseball. Even if my beloved Rangers win a World Series, they will do it without me.
Old 07-24-2002, 11:17 PM   #19
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

here's the deal.. rogers wants to be a ranger. that is why he signed with the rangers. that is why he also had a no trade clause put into his contract.

now, i have no idea how anyone could get pissed at him for trying to get a two year deal out of it if he's to waive his no trade clause.. it makes no sense
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote