Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 08-20-2006, 12:04 AM   #601
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

OT: The Mariners traded Jamie Moyer to the Phillies for crap.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-2006, 01:22 AM   #602
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

When, today?

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 01:24 AM   #603
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future
Default Nvm, I found it.

Phillies get Moyer from Seattle

By ROB MAADDI, AP Sports Writer
August 20, 2006

PHILADELPHIA (AP) -- The Philadelphia Phillies bolstered their starting rotation, acquiring 43-year-old left-hander Jamie Moyer from the Seattle Mariners for two minor leaguers on Saturday night.

Moyer was 6-12 with a 4.39 ERA for the Mariners. He's expected to start for the Phillies on Tuesday against the Chicago Cubs. Philadelphia has played well since overhauling its roster before last month's trade deadline, and is 2 1/2 games behind NL wild-card leading Cincinnati.

The Phillies sent right-handed pitchers Andrew Baldwin and Andrew Barb to the Mariners for Moyer, who is making $5.5 million this season. Philadelphia also gets cash in the deal.

"This guy is a good player and he's done a good job here for a number of years," Mariners general manager Bill Bavasi said. "A lot of people in this organization have a lot of fond memories of what he's done here. He's meant a lot to this franchise. But you've got to do what you've got to do."

Moyer wasn't immediately available for comment because he wasn't with the Mariners in Los Angeles for their game against the Angels. A team spokesman said Moyer was in Seattle for personal reasons. Phillies general manager Pat Gillick is familiar with Moyer because he held the same position in Seattle from 2000-03.

Moyer will replace rookie right-hander Scott Mathieson, who has struggled since the Phillies called him up from Double-A Reading. Mathieson is 1-4 with a 7.23 ERA in eight games. He didn't reach the fifth inning in four of his seven starts.

Meanwhile, Moyer has pitched at least six innings in 20 of his 25 starts. He had the second-lowest run support in the majors at 3.5 runs per game, and the Mariners didn't score a run while he was in the game in four of his last nine outings.

A native of nearby Souderton, Pa., Moyer began his career with the Cubs in 1986. He's 211-164 with a 4.17 ERA in 563 career games for the Cubs, Rangers, Cardinals, Orioles, Red Sox and Mariners.

Moyer joined the Mariners on July 30, 1996 in a trade with Boston for outfielder Darren Bragg. He went 145-87 with a 3.97 ERA in 324 games (323 starts) with the Mariners and is the franchise leader in wins, starts and innings pitched. He is the only Seattle pitcher to win 20 or more games more than once.

Moyer went to one All-Star game (2003) and pitched in the playoffs twice (1997 and 2001).

The Phillies (60-62) are 13-8 since trading two-time All-Star right fielder Bobby Abreu and starting pitcher Cory Lidle to the New York Yankees on July 30. They also dealt starting third baseman David Bell, backup catcher Sal Fasano and relievers Rheal Cormier and Ryan Franklin in the past month.

Baldwin was 8-8 with a 4.04 ERA at Single-A Clearwater. Barb was 6-2 with a 2.23 ERA and 18 saves at Class-A Lakewood.

"We feel we have good information on these guys and we ended up making a fair deal," Bavasi said. "We're happy with the guys that we got and the Phillies are happy with getting Jamie over there."

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
Old 08-20-2006, 02:30 PM   #604
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

I did get to watch this game and right now i am effing pumped. What a game. Glad i decided not to start bonderman on my fantasy team today due to fandom too.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 02:35 PM   #605
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

I must say I'm shocked we came back against Bonderman. I was about to settle into the PGA, now I have to flip between both.

I'll be happy if Koronka doesn't make another start this year. He was absolutely bombed in that 2nd. Haven't seen Murph around much, he was a big Koronka defender.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 02:37 PM   #606
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, I know out setup men have been used quite a bit recently, but do we REALLY have to trust Benoit with another important inning with a one run lead? the 6th scared me enough.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 08-20-2006, 02:41 PM   #607
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Ugg, i dont need this much drama.
Old 08-20-2006, 02:44 PM   #608
Five-ofan
Guru

That was filthy
Old 08-20-2006, 02:45 PM   #609
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

This is nothing. The 9th innings of the last two games would give you ulcers.

To be honest, our bullpen is so used up, I think we may need another run before this one's over. I doubt Littleton or Aki are available.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game

Last edited by jthig32; 08-20-2006 at 02:46 PM.
Old 08-20-2006, 02:46 PM   #610
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

SWEEEEEEEEEEET

Holy crap that was a hell of a throw.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game

Last edited by jthig32; 08-20-2006 at 02:47 PM.
Old 08-20-2006, 02:47 PM   #611
Five-ofan
Guru

Holy crap. GMJ is my hero. Screw my theory about not overpaying people based on previous performance relative to their contracts. GMJ can have whatever he wants next year. Watching him play defense is alot of fun.
Old 08-20-2006, 02:48 PM   #612
Five-ofan
Guru

BTW i just moved yesterday so i saw the one with the leadoff triple in the ninth and their 3rd base coach should be fired for not sending the runner on the slow grounder to short.
Old 08-20-2006, 02:51 PM   #613
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

He was safe, but I'll take it. Hank was safe earlier at second and got called out...

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 08-20-2006, 02:54 PM   #614
Five-ofan
Guru

Safe or not that was one heck of a throw.
Old 08-20-2006, 02:56 PM   #615
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan
Safe or not that was one heck of a throw.
Yeah, not taking anything away from GMJ at all. And is wasn't a horrible call, it was close enough that it could have gone either way, definitely, but on the replay I think he was pretty clearly safe.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game

Last edited by jthig32; 08-20-2006 at 02:57 PM.
Old 08-20-2006, 02:58 PM   #616
Five-ofan
Guru

I concurr
Old 08-20-2006, 03:04 PM   #617
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

I would feel much better with an insurance run here...

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 08-20-2006, 03:05 PM   #618
Five-ofan
Guru

I concurr
Old 08-20-2006, 03:09 PM   #619
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Sweet, they are bring in Otsuka. I thought he might not be available today.

C'mon Aki, let's have a stress free save!

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 08-20-2006, 03:23 PM   #620
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Sweet. What an unlikely win after the second inning.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 08-20-2006, 03:45 PM   #621
theunheardxvoice

theunheardxvoice is on a distinguished road

defiantly showing signs of turning the curve here. with houston street hitting the dl and oakland traveling to toronto, we have a shot to pick up a game or two if we sweep tampa
theunheardxvoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 10:46 AM   #622
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 05:06 PM   #623
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

Lol, he looks like he's made out of a pile or crap! Doc, have you been sculpting again

Old 08-23-2006, 08:45 PM   #624
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Fire Buck, DFA Jerry Hairston.

NOW.

For the life of me I can not fathom why Cruz and JHJ are allowed to be in a lineup at the same time.

Maybe I'm biased, but to me this looked like a different team during that Detroit series, without Buck on the bench. It's time for a change.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game

Last edited by jthig32; 08-23-2006 at 08:49 PM.
Old 08-23-2006, 09:24 PM   #625
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

That was pitiful. I may cut both Matthews and DeRosa from my fantasy team tonight. A few minutes ago I cut Eaton, and it felt GREAT!
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 10:02 PM   #626
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

I cut Derosa tonight, and picked up the kid OF from Baltimore. He has like 6 homers in his last 10 games.

Old 08-24-2006, 12:32 AM   #627
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Who that is?
Old 08-24-2006, 12:32 AM   #628
chumdawg
Guru

Wait, I think I know who it is. I looked at him tonight and he was already taken. I think.
Old 08-24-2006, 01:12 AM   #629
Five-ofan
Guru

I would assume he is talking about markakis since he had a 3 homer game the other day.
Old 08-24-2006, 02:17 AM   #630
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan
I would assume he is talking about markakis since he had a 3 homer game the other day.
Yeah, that's him. I couldn't remember his last name cuz I was focusing on his stats.

Old 08-24-2006, 02:17 AM   #631
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
Wait, I think I know who it is. I looked at him tonight and he was already taken. I think.
Probably. He is the top guy people are adding in Yahoo leagues.

Old 08-24-2006, 09:47 PM   #632
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

Its frickin sad that losing a1-3 to the Devil Rays has rendered the upcoming series with the A's meaningless.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 11:05 PM   #633
#1MavsFan
Golden Member

#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all

I STILL BELIEVE
#1MavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 11:10 PM   #634
Five-ofan
Guru

that makes 1 of you.
Old 08-25-2006, 03:14 AM   #635
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

7 games out of 1st place.. sigh

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 12:17 PM   #636
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

If the As blow this lead, it would be reminiscent of that Angels collapse of a decade ago or so...

I guess what I am saying is it is over..
Old 08-25-2006, 12:54 PM   #637
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

the only way we catch up is if half of these go on the DL

55 Joe Blanton R/R 6-3 240 12/11/80
50 Kiko Calero R/R 6-1 200 01/09/75
58 Justin Duchscherer R/R 6-3 200 11/19/77
57 Chad Gaudin R/R 5-11 165 03/24/83
51 Brad Halsey L/L 6-1 185 02/14/81
24 Dan Haren R/R 6-5 220 09/17/80
37 Joe Kennedy R/L 6-4 245 05/24/79
25 Esteban Loaiza R/R 6-3 215 12/31/71
31 Kirk Saarloos R/R 6-0 185 05/23/79
11 Scott Sauerbeck R/L 6-3 200 11/09/71
45 Jay Witasick R/R 6-4 240 08/28/72
75 Barry Zito L/L 6-4 210 05/13/78

Contact Me
Old 08-25-2006, 12:55 PM   #638
alby
Guru

with that being said, we have three games coming up here.. we need a clean sweep.

Contact Me
Old 08-25-2006, 01:07 PM   #639
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

We have 6 total games left against the As. We can obviously be RIGHT BACK IN IT if we sweep all 6, but we all know that isn't going to happen. If we lose ONLY ONE of the 6, we still have to make up 3 games against our other opponents.

Bottom line, we will be lucky to split the 6 and we will NOT pick up 7 from the rest!
Old 08-25-2006, 01:08 PM   #640
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alby
the only way we catch up is if half of these go on the DL

55 Joe Blanton R/R 6-3 240 12/11/80
50 Kiko Calero R/R 6-1 200 01/09/75
58 Justin Duchscherer R/R 6-3 200 11/19/77
57 Chad Gaudin R/R 5-11 165 03/24/83
51 Brad Halsey L/L 6-1 185 02/14/81
24 Dan Haren R/R 6-5 220 09/17/80
37 Joe Kennedy R/L 6-4 245 05/24/79
25 Esteban Loaiza R/R 6-3 215 12/31/71
31 Kirk Saarloos R/R 6-0 185 05/23/79
11 Scott Sauerbeck R/L 6-3 200 11/09/71
45 Jay Witasick R/R 6-4 240 08/28/72
75 Barry Zito L/L 6-4 210 05/13/78
They sure do have some pitchers don't they!!!