Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 01-29-2012, 09:37 PM   #1
AO41
Platinum Member

AO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud of

Great game...a lot of fun to watch.

Jet with a BIG game

VC also had a very nice game

Dirk with some good rebounding, but was cold on offense

Roddy had a decent game, but is still BAD IMO at running the offense and as we saw struggles getting the ball to Dirk

But a W is a W, which mean everyone did their part

GOOOOOOOO MAAAAAVVVSSSS
Old 01-29-2012, 09:43 PM   #2
clutch#41
Golden Member

clutch#41 is a jewel in the roughclutch#41 is a jewel in the roughclutch#41 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by AO41 View Post

Roddy had a decent game, but is still BAD IMO at running the offense and as we saw struggles getting the ball to Dirk

GOOOOOOOO MAAAAAVVVSSSS
Good D.
played 36 mins with only 1 TO.
ill take that from roddy every game.
clutch#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 09:46 PM   #3
AO41
Platinum Member

AO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch#41 View Post
Good D.
I will too, but if he is the PG out there he needs to do more on offense...meaning passing and running plays.
Old 01-29-2012, 09:52 PM   #4
clutch#41
Golden Member

clutch#41 is a jewel in the roughclutch#41 is a jewel in the roughclutch#41 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
I will too, but if he is the PG out there he needs to do more on offense...meaning passing and running plays.
he led the team with 7 ast
i see your point though but what is he going to do when dirk had an awful shooting night like he did tonight?
marion 4-15
dirk 5-14
VC 8-15
kidd out
jet got 23 shots
i agree he needs to pass it a little bit more but sometimes i wouldnt mind a good look for him to shoot when hes open or has the chance to drain a shot.
clutch#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 10:15 PM   #5
b_o_r
Golden Member

b_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud of

Quote:
You need to show some patience. You do realize the man has played 23 games totaling 323 minutes as PG in whole professional basketball career. He is learning his position at the highest level in the world. It's not going to be pretty at times, but he did a bang up job for the team late in the 4th and into the OT.
b_o_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 10:23 PM   #6
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_o_r View Post
You need to show some patience. You do realize the man has played 23 games totaling 323 minutes as PG in whole professional basketball career. He is learning his position at the highest level in the world. It's not going to be pretty at times, but he did a bang up job for the team late in the 4th and into the OT.
I will say that he doesn't seem to have a clue how to get the ball to Dirk. He had one post entry pass (in the third quarter I think?) that was a complete head-scratcher. This could be a problem moving forward.

I thought he had a pretty rough first three quarters, but I was pretty proud that he fought through all that and came up huge towards the end of the fourth. Those late layups where he just sliced through the Spurs D as well as that late block of Neal were vital. It seemed like one of those games where Roddy grew up.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson

Last edited by FINtastic; 01-29-2012 at 10:25 PM.
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 10:32 PM   #7
b_o_r
Golden Member

b_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINtastic View Post
I will say that he doesn't seem to have a clue how to get the ball to Dirk. He had one post entry pass (in the third quarter I think?) that was a complete head-scratcher. This could be a problem moving forward.

I thought he had a pretty rough first three quarters, but I was pretty proud that he fought through all that and came up huge towards the end of the fourth. Those late layups where he just sliced through the Spurs D as well as that late block of Neal were vital. It seemed like one of those games where Roddy grew up.
Even West and Barea in the past has shown an inability to get the ball to Dirk in the post. The key the majority of the time is to make the pass before Dirk actually sets up (when he is coming off the screen). There has to be a lot of trust between the players.
b_o_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 10:34 PM   #8
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Roddy was okay tonight, an nba player for sure. Only that one p**** attempt at a layup like he was scared. I hope team and the coach rag him for that. He either has to try and make the thing, draw the foul or pull it out. A backwards flip over his head so he won't get hit will not cut it.

Vince it's so great to have a shooting guard.

Haywood owns timmah.

Oh roddy gave Parker all he wanted. He thought devin was tough, roddy is going to be in his nightmares before it is over.

Shawn...man you can NOT foul on that layup.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 03:19 PM   #9
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINtastic View Post
I think this is where Kidd has to come in and teach the kid. Devin never had that teacher on how to feed Dirk.....Dirk doesn't even know There was quite a lot made last year regarding Kidd making the game much easier for Dirk. I think this is a teachable asset where Kidd can pass it along.
Kidd Karma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 10:39 PM   #10
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch#41 View Post
Good D.
Let's not forget his biggest play was going coast to coast for a quick layup with 29 seconds left in regulation, allowing the Mavs to play defense instead of fouling.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 10:52 PM   #11
JHT

JHT is a name known to allJHT is a name known to allJHT is a name known to allJHT is a name known to allJHT is a name known to allJHT is a name known to allJHT is a name known to allJHT is a name known to allJHT is a name known to allJHT is a name known to allJHT is a name known to all

Quote:
7 assists 1 turnover, several pretty spectacular passes...

So I guess you're just trolling? Because this statement is factually incorrect.

Roddy controlled the game as a PG. Kidd couldn't have done much better.

Last edited by JHT; 01-29-2012 at 10:52 PM.
JHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 05:42 PM   #12
redzwestisbest

redzwestisbest is just really niceredzwestisbest is just really niceredzwestisbest is just really niceredzwestisbest is just really niceredzwestisbest is just really niceredzwestisbest is just really nice

Quote:

Jet with a BIG game

VC also had a very nice game

Dirk with some good rebounding, but was cold on offense

GOOOOOOOO MAAAAAVVVSSSS

I'm beginning to think the problem with getting the ball to Dirk... is DIRK himself. He doesn't seem physically able to hold his ground enough to get in a stable position for are guards to get him the ball and when we do, he is pretty off his sweet spots. It doesn't matter who our 'point guard' is, its the same thing. Its time for RC to get more creative in finding ways to get him the ball. Roddy, West, Kidd, Carter, Lamar, Jet have all had problems getting Dirk the ball if we are keeping track. This is a trend that has nothing really to do with our guards.

Edited: Roadrunner...good post..wish I saw yours before making mine as I may have left West out of my list. West had I believe around 7-10 potential assists on his passes and the Mavs either missed wide open jumpers or the stat guy felt it was too long after the pass to give West the assist. He ended the game with 0 assists which is VERY VERY misleading.

Last edited by redzwestisbest; 01-30-2012 at 05:45 PM.
redzwestisbest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:38 PM   #13
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by redzwestisbest View Post
I'm beginning to think the problem with getting the ball to Dirk... is DIRK himself. He doesn't seem physically able to hold his ground enough to get in a stable position for are guards to get him the ball and when we do, he is pretty off his sweet spots. It doesn't matter who our 'point guard' is, its the same thing. Its time for RC to get more creative in finding ways to get him the ball. Roddy, West, Kidd, Carter, Lamar, Jet have all had problems getting Dirk the ball if we are keeping track. This is a trend that has nothing really to do with our guards.

Edited: Roadrunner...good post..wish I saw yours before making mine as I may have left West out of my list. West had I believe around 7-10 potential assists on his passes and the Mavs either missed wide open jumpers or the stat guy felt it was too long after the pass to give West the assist. He ended the game with 0 assists which is VERY VERY misleading.
Then you might as well trade him. He's never been massive enough to just bull his way and hold position, he gets rooted out. That's why the point guard cannot be afraid to throw it to meet him when he gets there. As dirk said and is in someone's signature. He used to just lope through a screen because he knew the guard wasn't going to aggressively give it to him, but with kid it's right there when he gets there. In this equation dirk versus roddy...the problem is roddy, and will continue to be until he makes quicker decisions.

I would think a part of it now is his lack of quickness because of the knee. But there is not doubt that jkiddo puts it on targe and on time.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’

Last edited by dude1394; 01-30-2012 at 09:42 PM.
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote