Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-16-2001, 02:52 PM   #1
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

Williams Accused Of Slurs
Fan wants apology from Kings guard

Brad Weinstein, Chronicle Staff Writer

A Warriors season-ticket holder is accusing Sacramento's Jason Williams of shouting racial and anti-gay slurs at him and other fans sitting behind the Kings' bench during a game Feb. 28 at the Arena in Oakland.

In a letter obtained by The Chronicle and addressed to NBA commissioner David Stern, among others, Michael Ching of Santa Clara wrote that Williams called him a "slant-eyed mother --" and said: "I will shoot all you Asian mother--. . . . Do you remember the Vietnam War? I'll kill y'all just like that."

Ching said Williams pretended, with his hands, to shoot a machine gun and imitated the sound the weapon makes.

Williams' rant began about midway through the first half when Ching said he told him, "Get used to sitting on the bench." According to Ching, the third- year point guard responded, "Are you gay? Are you a fag?"

Speaking last night from Phoenix, where he is watching spring training, Ching, 39, said Williams' words and actions "were astounding and beyond comprehension."

"Either this kid is really a racist, or he just doesn't have a concept of maturity yet," Ching said. "Since he hasn't (apologized), that tends to tell me he's really a racist. To direct those things not just to me but to our entire section, that tells me that he meant it.

"I have a lot of friendly chatter with the players from opposing teams, and it's always about basketball, never anything derogatory. I've never had a negative reaction from a player or anything that has even been close to this."

The Kings yesterday referred all questions to general manager Geoff Petrie, who did not return a phone message left at his office.

Ching's letter, dated March 1, also was addressed to Warriors owner Chris Cohan, general manager Garry St. Jean and vice president of business operations Robert Rowell; Kings owners Joe and Gavin Maloof; and NBA deputy commissioner Russ Granik.

Joe Maloof called Ching on Monday, apologizing on Williams' behalf and inviting the Warriors' fan to a future Kings game in Sacramento. Ching said he appreciated the gesture but told Maloof he wanted to hear contrition from Williams.

"He needs to be held accountable," Ching said. "If he's not going to apologize, people need to know that, too. That's more important than any fine or suspension by the NBA."

Ching said he voiced his concerns to Rowell the night of the game. The Warriors then reported the incident to the league.

Thirteen days after the Kings' 122-101 victory, the NBA fined Williams $15, 000 for cursing at fans. League spokesman Brian McIntyre said yesterday the matter is closed.

Williams, 25, who was suspended for the first five games of the regular season for violating the league's anti-drug program, also was fined $10,000 for comments to fans after the Kings' 82-79 loss Nov. 29 at the Alamodome in San Antonio.

"People say all types of things to me, curse words, talk about weed, everything," Williams told reporters in Sacramento earlier this week. "They can get personal with me, but I can't get personal with them, I guess. Hopefully, I'll learn my lesson one of these times."

Source: Williams Accused Of Slurs
djb is offline   Reply With Quote