Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 05-29-2007, 03:18 AM   #81
Windmill360
Diamond Member

Windmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond repute

How about.... if Minny DOES decide to blow things up....

Terry + Buckner for
Mike James + Ricky Davis

James brings some of that thug/as*hole mentality we need in plus he's a little bigger than Terry, and Davis is another scorer and not too bad of a passer either.

Last edited by Windmill360; 05-29-2007 at 03:18 AM.
Windmill360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-2007, 08:59 AM   #82
mavs413
Golden Member

mavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the rough

Terry + Mbenga
to Indiana for
Dunleavy + Diogu

Harris / FA (Atkins) / Barea
FA (Peterson, Mason) / Stackhouse / Buckner
Howard / Dunleavy
Nowitzki / Diogu
Dampier / Diop
mavs413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 09:16 AM   #83
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32
No, and I didn't hear them. Care to recap?
only a quick one

the two trades Skin was reporting as potential and making sense were each packages involving JT (which I like)

one was a S&T for Reshard Lewis which he thought the Sonics would do and he liked this idea...I think he said something like JT and Buck(?) but don't hold me to that...

the second idea and he said Portland would pull the trigger instantly on this one is JT and Buck for Zach Randolph. But he was VERY hesitant because he and Dirk play the same position, because of past character issues, and because of Zach's little defensive talent.

I say, when you can get arguably one of the top 5-7 low post scorers in the league, knowing that will free dirk like nothing is his career ever has, you do and work out the details...
On a team with solid character guys and a strong respected coach I have little fear about his past issues...
Play him at center and be done with it...this is no doubt the largest draw back of the deal
he is still only 25!!! He has great hands and is the low post presence they need...

I am not too hot for Lewis...isn't he just Jr. Dirk?

But Randolph is a beast that must be accounted for down low...and that is a rare thing...and if he can be had for so little...I think I pull that trigger.

thoughts?

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 09:53 AM   #84
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Thoughts----

Rashard Lewis would be a beast against teams like Phx and GSW. A lineup of Harris, Stack, Howard, Lewis, Dirk would be awesome at small-ball. They would be able to lineup and run with anyone. Problem is, Dirk would have to be the last line of defense, so probably they would end up with Harris, Howard, Lewis, Dirk, and Diop. That isn't so bad either. This lineup would be pretty good. They still wouldn't have a way to just dump it low for easy points though, they would just be saying that they can small-ball with any other team.

As far as Randolph goes, he is a beast down low, but he would either be a backup to Dirk, or you would have to move Dirk to SF, and play a C because Randolph nor Dirk are the last line of defense. Half court teams like SA would kill the Mavs if they tried to play Dirk and Randolph w/o a Center in the game.

I can see either one of them coming in and strengthening this team, but both have their downside.

<edit>

I like the idea of Lewis more than the idea of Randolph because it will keep a true Center in the game.
Which option would you like?

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson

Last edited by dalmations202; 05-29-2007 at 10:01 AM.
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 10:02 AM   #85
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalmations202
I can see either one of them coming in and strengthening this team, but both have their downside.
but just about every real trade proposal does...I still see the low post of Randolph as the ultimate plus...

Lewis might bring a better balance...but we still have a huge hole in post scoring and I'm not sure Lewis is really anything more than Dirk Jr.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 10:37 AM   #86
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelNegro
We'll see what Bynum's worth is when we find out what the lakers want to do with him. Even if Bynum's value has dropped it doesn't change the fact that Bynum, Radman and the #19 pick in the draft for Jason Terry would be a horrible trade for the lakers.
Oh I agree with you 100%
the proposal is extremely one-sided

But don't expect the Lakers to hold on to Bynum as firmly as they did at the deadline, that's all I'm saying.

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 10:43 AM   #87
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike
but just about every real trade proposal does...I still see the low post of Randolph as the ultimate plus...

Lewis might bring a better balance...but we still have a huge hole in post scoring and I'm not sure Lewis is really anything more than Dirk Jr.
Personally, I rather have Lewis because I am fine with Damp/Diop at center.

pf - Dirk 7'
sf - Lewis 6 10"
sg - Howard 6 7"

We would be such a long team and will be extremely athletic at 1-3 especially if Devin is our starter. That to me, is where the NBA is headed.. especially in the west.

Contact Me
Old 05-29-2007, 10:43 AM   #88
DelNegro

DelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by alby
Oh I agree with you 100%
the proposal is extremely one-sided

But don't expect the Lakers to hold on to Bynum as firmly as they did at the deadline, that's all I'm saying.
Gotcha. And that's a good point. The lakers are desparate, and don't have a lot of pieces to make a trade with. It will be interesting to see what they do. It will be even more interesting to see Kobe's reaction.
DelNegro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 11:06 AM   #89
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelNegro
Gotcha. And that's a good point. The lakers are desparate, and don't have a lot of pieces to make a trade with. It will be interesting to see what they do. It will be even more interesting to see Kobe's reaction.
I read somewhere they could offer Odom/Kwame/#1 Pick for JO'Neal...
V2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 11:08 AM   #90
alby
Guru

Kobe wants that, I'm sure.

Contact Me
Old 05-30-2007, 08:07 PM   #91
purplefrog
Platinum Member

purplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond repute

JET (steady veteran guard to help lead the yung'uns) + DJ (see Perkins below) + 2 #2 picks

to Boston for

Ryan Gomes (young 3/4 that can play a bit at the low post)
Brian Scalabrine (pudgey looking PF that can shoot the 3pter)
Kendrick Perkins (young center to replace DJ)
Delonte West (young point guard with a bit of experience)
&
#5 pick in the Draft

Celts do this because Ainge is their "braintrust" and they have too many young players (Rondo, Telfair, Green, Allen, Jefferson, Ray)... need some veteran leadership.
Old 05-30-2007, 08:11 PM   #92
Windmill360
Diamond Member

Windmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond repute

no way Boston does that.
Old 05-30-2007, 08:34 PM   #93
alby
Guru

Ainge is a terrible GM but noone is that stupid

Contact Me
Old 05-30-2007, 10:38 PM   #94
SeriousSummer
Golden Member

SeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant future
Default Two words

Quote:
Originally Posted by alby
Ainge is a terrible GM but noone is that stupid
Isaiah Thomas.
SeriousSummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 11:07 PM   #95
purplefrog
Platinum Member

purplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplefrog
JET (steady veteran guard to help lead the yung'uns) + DJ (see Perkins below) + 2 #2 picks

to Boston for

Ryan Gomes (young 3/4 that can play a bit at the low post)
Brian Scalabrine (pudgey looking PF that can shoot the 3pter)
Kendrick Perkins (young center to replace DJ)
Delonte West (young point guard with a bit of experience)
&
#5 pick in the Draft

Celts do this because Ainge is their "braintrust" and they have too many young players (Rondo, Telfair, Green, Allen, Jefferson, Ray)... need some veteran leadership.
The fact is that all I care about is West and the #5 pick. If you are objecting to Gomes then replace him with Leon Powe. If you are objecting to Perkins then I would drop DJ from the trade and add either Telfair, Gerald Green, or even Tony Allen (in place of Perkins). These guys are all young and have alot of POTENTIAL but none are NBA proven. With JET they know what they are getting for the next three years or so. I can't imagine anyone in Boston objecting to Scalabrine being traded (other than the fact that he looks like a leprachaun and probably deserves to stay a Celtic). My point is that Boston has way too many young players and they should make a move to bring in a veteran guard. The high draft pick doesn't really help you much when you have so much young unused talent already. Maybe they can do better than JET, but I kinda doubt it.

Last edited by purplefrog; 05-30-2007 at 11:08 PM.
purplefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 11:36 PM   #96
purplefrog
Platinum Member

Another approach would be to trade JET for Scalabrine and West +#5 Draft pick. I don't know what the salary would be for the #5, but Scalabrine + West is about $5M in salary.

Do you really value JET so little that you think this is a one sided trade? How many #5 picks are busts? I think this would be a bit of gamble for the Mavs, not the Celts. I would do it from a Mavs perspective because it might be our best chance to get a low post scorer and backup for Dirk. Hoford? Noah?
Old 05-30-2007, 11:40 PM   #97
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Jet doesn't bring back the #5 pick. No way, no how. I like Jet to Boston, but it is for no reason other than salary relief and young upside. Jet and Buck for Ratliff's expiring deal and Allen or West. Both teams make out that way. The Mavs might try to get Rondo instead, but it's all about the same.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 12:07 AM   #98
purplefrog
Platinum Member

If I am Boston, I just don't see what the #5 pick gets me in the draft. If I could get a sure thing C then maybe I keep it. The Celts have young PGs galore (Rondo, Telfair, West, Ray). They have a couple of young SGs (Green, Allen). Gomes is another young guy and he can play backup to Pierce or Jefferson. I guess you could put yet another youngster behind Jefferson, but it seems a veteran guard makes more sense (I guess that means Ainge keeps the pick ). I don't buy we just give JET up for cap space (Ratliff). Jason's numbers were 16.7 ppg/5.2 assists during the regular season. Those are hardly throw away numbers. Like I said maybe there is a better trade out there for Boston and #5. Chum I would like to hear what you think that pick is worth.

Last edited by purplefrog; 05-31-2007 at 12:08 AM.
purplefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 12:25 AM   #99
Janett_Reno
Platinum Member

Janett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to all

Cleveland has wanted Terry before.
Janett_Reno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 12:41 AM   #100
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplefrog
Chum I would like to hear what you think that pick is worth.
That pick is probably a guy who will play ten years in the league. At what level, I do not know. But I do know that it's worth more than Jason Terry.
Old 05-31-2007, 12:51 AM   #101
DelNegro

DelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
That pick is probably a guy who will play ten years in the league. At what level, I do not know. But I do know that it's worth more than Jason Terry.
As deep as this draft is, I think there's a future all-star available at #5. Maybe more than one.

Whether Boston is smart enough to figure out who is another matter entirely.
DelNegro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 06:34 AM   #102
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Jamison = Stackhouse and the #5
#5 = Devin Harris

Is Terry = Devin ?

Some overrate and some underrate potential, but I could see getting the #5 pick for Terry. I doubt it, but I can see it. I can see Boston trading the #5 for a veteran guard that averages double figures and has been to the finals, if they don't have one person targeted that fits their needs.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 11:07 AM   #103
alby
Guru

1. Boston wouldn't want another guard
2. I don't want any of Boston's guards

Contact Me
Old 05-31-2007, 03:08 PM   #104
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Translation: fill-in-the-blank bag of question marks > Jason Terry.

Considering how many complete bust draft picks there have been in NBA history, that's pretty insulting.

Your shtick is really tiresome, Chum.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 03:50 PM   #105
belgianfan

belgianfan is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexamenos
Terry for Al Jefferson, maybe?

I don't know if Boston would do that and I don't know how the salaries work....

...but I'd do it in a heartbeat.

No way Boston does this, Jefferson should be an elite low post scorer and rebounder next year and for the next decade, those players are rare and you don't trade them for a tweener. If you want Al it would have to be something like Terry Howard Diop for Al and Ratliff expiring contract, maybe even Wallyworld to make salaries work and I even doubt that Boston would pull that one off...
belgianfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 04:12 PM   #106
belgianfan

belgianfan is infamous around these parts

[QUOTE=dirno2000]Your analysis is solid and it’s why I think that Terry will still be here next year. The main problem, as I see it, is that he has too many years. You can move money but teams don’t like to be bogged down by multi year deals.

As for the teams you listed, Houston and Miami don’t have anybody that I’d want and I can’t imagine making a deal with a division rival anyway. Odom and Bynum would be attractive but the Lakers would have to be crazy to trade big for small. Not saying that they wouldn’t but they shouldn’t.

Terry would be perfect in Cleveland but I don’t see a fit there either. Gooden doesn’t make sense because neither he nor Dirk can slide to the 3 or the 5. And I’m right there with you and jthig on Hughes.

Actually the Cav that interest me the most is Varejao. Not that good offensively but he led the league in charges taken, he’s a good rebounder and could be a solid center against GS and PHX. He’s free so it would have to be some kind of sign and trade. I’m reaching here but nobody else on the Cavs interests me.

Devin would be much easier to move. Of course the problem there is that he doesn’t make very much and we don’t have anymore Stackhouse/Croshere type contracts to package him with Dirk.
JET and DJ/diop for ilgauskas plus Gibson might work

Last edited by belgianfan; 05-31-2007 at 04:14 PM.
belgianfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 05:35 PM   #107
DevinFuture

DevinFuture is a glorious beacon of lightDevinFuture is a glorious beacon of lightDevinFuture is a glorious beacon of lightDevinFuture is a glorious beacon of lightDevinFuture is a glorious beacon of lightDevinFuture is a glorious beacon of lightDevinFuture is a glorious beacon of light

That would be a blast to see Devin and Varejao on the floor together.
There would be a charge on a third of the opponents' possessions.
Old 06-01-2007, 05:10 AM   #108
alby
Guru

pay raises for the kids that wipe the floor would follow

Contact Me
Old 06-18-2007, 06:53 AM   #109
Dr.Zoidberg
Diamond Member

Dr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant future

"Cleared for Takeoff:" Trade Rumors and Jason Terry

By Matt Carter | June 17th, 2007

Jason Terry is rumored to be on the block. (Associated Press)

Will the player commonly referred to as “JET,” Jason Eugene Terry, be flying elsewhere for the 2007-08 season? It is a question I have raised throughout many of my trade articles. To say Jason Terry failed to live up to any expectations in Dallas would be in my view a lie. Terry was key in getting the Mavs to the 2006 NBA Finals, and still remains one of the best clutch shooters on the team, if not the entire league.

However, over the coming years even more questions need to be asked. Can we continue to use a starting lineup of Terry and Devin Harris, when clearly teams can dominate this particular backcourt on the defensive end? Also, does it seem now that the 6-year, $57 million contract Terry signed in the summer of 2006 causes too much damage to the salary camp? JET is clearly a nice addition to the Mavs’ roster, but with so many options out there it only seems natural to assess whether or not Terry can be dealt for another player suited for Avery Johnson’s system. According to the Denver Post JET is currently being shopped around the NBA, so it’s worth the time to further examine the issue, in addition to working out some more feasible scenarios where Terry could leave the team.

Why Jason Terry should be traded:

He is no longer necessary at the PG position. Originally Terry was brought in at the start of the 2004-05 season as a replacement for the departed Steve Nash, and he struggled at first in trying to duplicate his past-first game. I am of the thought that Jason Terry was never meant to be the Mavericks’ main guard, that he was to be used either as a sixth man or as a starter until Devin Harris was ready to assume the position of starting point guard. That time is now, as Harris has matured into a superb defensive player with a Tony Parker-like knack for taking the ball to the basket. Terry is obviously a better shooter than Harris, but he is also five years older and not nearly as aggressive on the defensive end. He also is sitting on a much larger contract, and if the team decides to extend Harris for a few more years it will mean a lot of money is tied up at one position.

Trading Jason Terry would be no strike against him or what he brings to the Mavericks, particularly in terms of personality and off-the-court character. I had the opportunity to meet Terry before the start of the ’06 season, and he (along with Josh Howard) was one of the friendliest and most charismatic athletes I’d been around. Terry being dealt would merely signify that the Mavericks have more important holes to fill, as in finding a long, athletic player to play at the 3 or 4 position. The Mavericks can bring in a veteran point guard to back up Devin Harris, either through a trade or free agency. A veteran would come much cheaper.

Why Jason Terry should stay put:

Mark Cuban has enough cash to pay the luxury tax, and Terry is a valuable offensive weapon to have in late-game situations and the playoffs. No one else on the current roster has the shooting ability Terry possesses, even if Maurice Ager does have some potential. Even if Devin Harris is the starter, there should be enough minutes to go around for both him and Harris.

Statistically there is also no substantial reason to trade Terry, either. In the 2004-05 season, only he and Steve Nash shot over 50% from the field, 40% from the 3-point arc, and 80% from the line. In fact, he has always been a reasonably efficient player in spite of being constantly labeled as a “streak shooter.” During his career in Dallas he has shot approximately 48% from the floor and 42% from beyond the arc. He also rarely gets injured, playing in at least 80 games in every season with the Mavericks.

One of the easiest things to ignore by dealing a player is the effect a trade can have on team chemistry. Losing Terry, a guy liked by the entire roster and the majority of the community, would be a major loss. It would take several weeks, likely months before the Mavs could adjust to a new offense. Change has helped the occasional team win the NBA Finals (it worked for Detroit when they acquired Rasheed Wallace in a trade with Atlanta), but rarely does it happen within the first season. Unless it is for a superstar player a trade should not be pursued.

Who would Terry be traded for?

The Mavs would obviously have a few different team needs if such a trade were to unfold, and these destinations are only suggestions. The opposing team would benefit from Terry on the roster, and the Mavericks would benefit from whoever they picked up in these deals.

1. A possible 3-team trade:

Mavericks send Jason Terry and Greg Buckner to the Los Angeles Lakers
Lakers send Lamar Odom and draft pick #40 to Utah
Utah sends Andrei Kirilenko and draft pick #25 to the Mavericks

This is a trade that would improve all three teams involved in one way or another, though it would likely be a substantial hit to the Mavericks’ offense unless other players picked up the slack. Kirilenko is a stellar defender, rebounder, and shot-blocker, but his shooting touch went away in 2006-07 averaging just 8 points a game. The 25th pick in the draft could be used to snag a point guard to backup up Harris (along with JJ Barea) for years to come, such as Taurean Green, Gabe Pruitt, or Aaron Brooks. All of these guys have some shooting ability, though it is far from being on Terry’s level.

The main goal in this trade would be to land Kirilenko, but I think a third team will be necessarily if it is Terry the Mavs are shipping out. The Lakers are in the need of a veteran shooter at the guard position, especially if Kobe Bryant is sent elsewhere. Odom will be a good fit in Utah’s starting lineup alongside Boozer and Okur. With Derek Fisher and Deron Williams, Terry’s services are not needed in Salt Lake City.

2. Jason Terry to the Los Angeles Clippers for Corey Maggette and Daniel Ewing

Maggette seems to be a player that consistently catches the eyes of Mavs fans on a yearly basis, and I can understand why. He’s a strong guy who can play the 2 or 3, shoot the ball with regularity, and get to the free throw line. He has two years left on a 6-year, $42 million deal, and will open up a good bit of cap space in the future. The trade also makes sense in terms of getting the Mavs bigger defensively, while not losing too much of Terry’s offensive firepower. Ewing would likely be thrown into the deal, and he is a young point guard with good collegiate experience at Duke.

However, the one issue with this deal is Maggette’s durability, as he just went under arthroscopic knee surgery and has struggled with knee problems in the past (he only played 35 games in the 2005-06 campaign). Unless the Mavs find a way to stretch out this deal so it could include Sam Cassell or a draft pick, I would be very hesitant to bring in Maggette unless one was certain his physical condition would not be an issue.

3. Jason Terry, Greg Buckner, and Maurice Ager are traded to Portland for Zach Randolph

Here is likely to be the most controversial suggestion if Terry is on his way out of Dallas: a guy such as Zach Randolph, who can post up in addition to hitting a mid-range jump shot, might be a welcome addition to the Mavs’ front line. It would enable Dirk to play more of a 3 position, and likely open up more opportunities inside for other players. Portland would prefer to have him off the books now that Greg Oden is likely on his way, and Terry, a veteran guard with shooting skills, would be a great help to Brandon Roy, Jarrett Jack and the rest of the Portland backcourt.

The one obvious flaw in this trade is whether or not Randolph could take a reduced role in the offense, and if his attitude and work ethic would cause friction between him and Avery Johnson. I’ll always be intrigued by Randolph’s talent, but I’m not so sure I’m as interested in his off-the-court antics. Bringing him in would be a risk, and not all risks are worth taking when the team’s already on the verge of a championship.

I have listed more scenarios involving Jason Terry in previous “Trade Possibilities” articles, but as of right now these might be 3 of the most viable options for the Mavs if he is to go elsewhere.

Jason Terry’s future as a Maverick ultimately all comes down to what appears to be two questions: is Devin Harris good enough as a starter, and will a guy like Kirilenko or Randolph be enough to get the Mavs to a championship? Right now the Mavs are preparing to answer all questions regarding “JET” Terry, and by the start of the 2007-08 season I’m sure we’ll have our answer.

http://mvn.com/nba-mavericks/

"Talk to the claw."

"They're getting 15, 16 assists some games. I dream about getting 15 assists. It's just not possible with the team I'm on." - Devin Harris about top-notch point guards and him playing with the Mavs

"For me, it’s like a kid in a candy store." - Jason Kidd on playing with the Mavs
Dr.Zoidberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 07:56 AM   #110
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

oh man i am getting so excited!
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 09:27 AM   #111
jacktruth
Golden Member

jacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud of

The only trade here that even seems plausible is #2. It's interesting, for sure.

The others:
Are Terry and Buckner really worth Odom and a late pick draft pick to the Lakers? Would Boozer and Odom battle for the PF spot? No.
Are the Mavs really interested in AK? Would he backup at 3/4? I don't see it.
Didn't someone in the Mavs say that Randolf was not a bad-ass, but a dumb-ass? What is his role with the mavs? Dirk's backup? I don't think so.
jacktruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 09:45 AM   #112
alby
Guru

No mention of Lewis or Pierce =(

But I like Maggette, although after his knee operation he has lost some explosion...

Terry wouldn't be shipped to LA if they were going to lose Kobe. Since most of Kobe's trade talks are coming out of Chicago, they would already get a solid guard (Gordon or Hinrich) so Terry wouldn't be needed in LA.

Contact Me

Last edited by alby; 06-18-2007 at 10:06 AM.
Old 06-22-2007, 12:11 AM   #113
purplefrog
Platinum Member

I am actually beginning to think the Mavs should just keep JET, but here is another trade idea just for kicks.

JET + Buck to Cleveland for Eric Snow and Donyell Marshall.

Snow has got to be one of the worst shooting PGs in the NBA, but he plays pretty good defense and he can be an adequate backup for Devin. Marshall gives us quality depth at both the 3 and 4. I think that a starting lineup of JET, Larry Hughes, Lebron, Gooden, and Z is better than anything the Cavs put on the floor this year... and they made it to the Finals. Cleveland loses rebounding and some defense, but they are so pathetic on the offensive end they might just go for this. The more important question is does this help the Mavs? Snow and Marshall are getting pretty old.....
Old 06-22-2007, 12:32 AM   #114
chumdawg
Guru

I'd love to see the sharp shooting Huskie on this Mavs squad, as I think he could more than adequately fill the role of a Stephen Jackson/Steve Kerr dagger-type off the bench for a championship level team.

However, I think you might be able to get more out of Terry than that.

If not, though, you go ahead and do it. Any trade that ships Terry out of town is bound to be a good one for that reason alone.
Old 06-22-2007, 02:27 AM   #115
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Any trade that ships Terry out of town is bound to be a good one for that reason alone.
You're horrible. Why don't you go GM the Spurs for us, okay?
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 04:05 AM   #116
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkadirkastan
You're horrible. Why don't you go GM the Spurs for us, okay?
Do you think the Spurs would keep giving so many minutes to such an ineffective player postseason after postseason?

What it is you like about Terry, particularly when it comes to postseason ball?
Old 06-22-2007, 05:17 AM   #117
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Do you think the Spurs would keep giving so many minutes to such an ineffective player postseason after postseason?

What it is you like about Terry, particularly when it comes to postseason ball?
He really hasn't been all that bad in the postseason, he's won games for us by himself.

I'm thinking we should just keep Terry unless we use him to get Lewis, Pierce, AK, Maggete, or another player of that caliber. I don't think he should be traded just to be traded. If the right deal doesn't come around, then keep him around.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 05:22 AM   #118
Dr.Zoidberg
Diamond Member

Dr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant future

Totally agree^^^

And I&#180;m confident the Mavs management knows it.

"Talk to the claw."

"They're getting 15, 16 assists some games. I dream about getting 15 assists. It's just not possible with the team I'm on." - Devin Harris about top-notch point guards and him playing with the Mavs

"For me, it’s like a kid in a candy store." - Jason Kidd on playing with the Mavs
Old 06-22-2007, 01:31 PM   #119
purplefrog
Platinum Member

I have mixed feelings about JET. I am not sure you could get equal value for his talents and leadership through a trade, on the other hand he has a big contract and the window of opportunity for moving him is either already gone or close to being gone. He and Devin in the backcourt together are limited in their effectiveness by matchup problems with several teams. My biggest concern is Devin's development as a PG and leader. Imo, the future of Dirk's prime years are largely dependent on PG play and our coaching staff coming up with effective offensive schemes. So Devin's continued development is paramount for the success of the Mavs. If JET stays he will have to modify his game (learn to play off the ball more) and be content with fewer minutes. He is a class act and might be willing to accept a new role but the question remains will Devin be able to really assume the leadership role with JET on the bench. I have my doubts. Can Avery work some magic and facilitate this transition? I hope so, because I think this is the likely scenario.
Old 06-23-2007, 04:05 AM   #120
Dr.Zoidberg
Diamond Member

From HOOPSWORLD.com
Mavericks: Jason Terry To Be Sacrificed?
By Bill Ingram
Jun 23, 2007, 09:40

The Dallas Mavericks need a big man, and they believe they can get one in the draft. Of course, to move into the first round, where the Mavs don't currently hold a pick, someone's going to have to be sacrificed. As much as I hate to say it, it's sounding more and more like Jason Terry is the one who will ultimately be sent out to get the piece the Mavericks feel they need to get to the next level.

It's not entirely fair to Jet, who has done everything he's been asked to do and then some. He has become as close to Avery Johnson as anyone on the team, and it's Jet who gets the fans going when the upper crust Dallas fans forget that fan participation is an important part of a team's home court advantage. The only thing Jet doesn't have is about three more inches of height to make him a true off guard.

The point guard position is going to be turned over to Devin Harris. Harris is a much better decision-maker than Terry, and though he lacks the veteran savvy of the Jet, the Mavericks feel he's ready to take the next step. That said, Terry is a proven NBA starter, and benching him simply is not an option. The choice, then, is to trade him and use his value to fill another need.

Scanning the internet rumor sheets yields a plethora of proposals for Terry. Minnesota needs another scorer in the backcourt now that they've traded Mike James. The Memphis Grizzlies are also in the market for another backcourt threat, and Terry could help tremendously as a mentor to Rudy Gay. Both of these teams have top ten picks in the draft and it's possible the Mavericks could land UNC's Brandan Wright or Florida's Joakim Noah. It's also been suggested that they might be able to get Darko Milicic from Orlando for Terry, though the Magic are very high on Milicic and it's unlikely they take a small for a big. Never mind that fact that the Mavs already have two centers on their roster and would need to move one of them to justify taking on a third while giving up a starter.

The Mavericks aren't looking to make major changes this offseason, and after winning 67 games it's tough to blame them for that approach. It could easily be argued that Jason Terry, who was a big part of those 67 wins and knows Avery's system inside and out, is more valuable than the player he might bring back in trade. But the rumors are out there, and where there's smoke there's usually fire. Jason Terry could be the one who gets sacrificed to bring in the low post scoring threat that the Mavs currently lack.

© Copyright 2007 by HOOPSWORLD.com, a Basketball News Exclusive

http://www.hoopsworld.com/article_22433.shtml

"Talk to the claw."