Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 04-15-2009, 10:56 PM   #1
Fidel
Diamond Member

Fidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to behold
Default Blazers will win it all !?! Playoff predictions (make yours)

Funny how that Spurs win changed the matchups from mostly lopsided season head to heads to all close season head to heads.

Anyways. Pick your bracket for the Western Conference, then pick either the Cavs or Celtics out of the East (or any other team if you wanna blow your pick) and predict the NBA Champion 2009. Here are my predictions:

LA over Utah
Portland over Houston
Dallas over SanAntonio
Nuggets over Hornets

Portland over LA
Nuggets over Dallas

Portland over Nuggets

out of the East: Celtics

Finals: Portland over Celtics

NBA Champs 2009: Portland Trailblazers

Please don´t comment too much on other´s stupid picks (like mine). It´s all just for fun. I found it pretty boring to pick Cavs over Lakers or Lakers over Celtics that´s why I thought about other scenarios. I actually don´t think my pick has the best chance of happening. I just looked at some head to heads and realised the Blazers look pretty good against most top teams. I´ve seen them alot lately and they´ve been playing great, so that´s why I pick em (if they blow their 20 point lead over the Nuggets tonight they´d lose the season series 3-1 so that wouldn´t look too good then for my prediction but I´ll take the risk). I would have loved to pick the Mavs but I don´t think they`d beat either the Hornets or Nuggets in a series.
Fidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-2009, 11:03 PM   #2
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

LA over Utah
Houston over Portland
Dallas over SanAntonio
Hornets over Nuggets

Mavs over Hornets
LA over Houston

LA over Dallas

LA over Boston in finals rematch
mavs777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 11:23 PM   #3
badfish22
Golden Member

badfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant future

Mavs over Clevland in four.
badfish22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 11:31 PM   #4
Mavsfan4ever
Golden Member

Mavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by badfish22 View Post
Mavs over Clevland in four.
That's a wet dream come true.
Old 04-15-2009, 11:43 PM   #5
Blackspider972

Blackspider972 has a spectacular aura aboutBlackspider972 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavs777 View Post
LA over Utah
Houston over Portland
Dallas over SanAntonio
Hornets over Nuggets

Mavs over Hornets
LA over Houston

LA over Dallas

LA over Boston in finals rematch
There is no way I see us beating the Hornets in a playoff series as long as Paul plays point.
Blackspider972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 12:02 AM   #6
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackspider972 View Post
There is no way I see us beating the Hornets in a playoff series as long as Paul plays point.
If the Hornets had home court I agree, but the Mavs will if that series happens.
mavs777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 12:08 AM   #7
Blackspider972

Blackspider972 has a spectacular aura aboutBlackspider972 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
If the Hornets had home court I agree, but the Mavs will if that series happens.
True. It depends what Mavs team shows up to play.
Blackspider972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 12:12 AM   #8
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

LA over Utah
Portland over Houston
Dallas over San Antonio
Denver over NO

LA over Portland
Denver over Dallas

LA over Denver

LA over Cleveland

(reality is boring, huh?)

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 12:34 AM   #9
Zki41

Zki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to all

LA over Utah
Portland over Houston
Dallas over San Antonio
Denver over NO

LA over Portland
Denver over Dallas

LA over Denver

Cleveland over LA
Zki41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 05:47 AM   #10
tcat075
Diamond Member

tcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I think we could beat NOH in 7, winning the home games and losing on the road. We would have home court advantage, because we are the higher seed.
tcat075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 06:01 AM   #11
croco

croco has a spectacular aura aboutcroco has a spectacular aura aboutcroco has a spectacular aura about

Cavs over Lakers
croco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 06:34 AM   #12
Lor20
Golden Member

Lor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud of

My ideal scenario:

Lakers over Utah
Hornets over Nuggets
Mavs over spurs
Portland over houston

Portland over Lakers
Mavs over hornets

Mavs over portland

Cleveland over mavs

realistically:

Lakers over Utah
Nuggets over Hornets
Mavs over spurs
Portland over houston

Lakers over Portland
Nuggets over Mavs (or the otherway around - that series is wide open)

Lakers over Nuggets

Cleveland over Lakers

Last edited by Lor20; 04-16-2009 at 06:35 AM.
Lor20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 10:28 AM   #13
MX425

MX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to all

LA over Utah
NO over DEN
Dal over SA
Port over Houston

LA over Port
Dal over Hornets

LA over Dal

Cavs orver celts

LA over Cavs
Old 04-16-2009, 10:34 AM   #14
DelNegro

DelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to all

LA over Utah
Denver over NO
SA over Dallas
Port over Hou

LA over Port
Den over SA

LA over Den

LA over Cavs
DelNegro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 10:52 AM   #15
Fidel
Diamond Member

Fidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
LA over Utah
Portland over Houston
Dallas over San Antonio
Denver over NO

LA over Portland
Denver over Dallas

LA over Denver

LA over Cleveland

(reality is boring, huh?)
That would pretty much be my realistic picks also. But yes reality is boring, and I´m hoping that some team pulls a huge upset. I think that Portland is among the teams with the biggest upset potential. They played the Lakers really well (I´ve seen all the games, Roy actually won the matchup with Kobe twice and especially in the last game Kobe really wanted to stick it to Roy at the end but Roy came out ahead) and they have good depth with Fernandez, Oden, Outlaw, Batum. They also won against both Eastern teams this season (at full strenght).
Fidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 10:59 AM   #16
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

None of these teams, Mavericks included, have shown any ability to win big road games. Upsets will likely be hard to come by. (Though I certainly hope not). I think the Rockets could be the only bottom 4 seed to move on, simply because of Portland's lack of experience.
Old 04-16-2009, 11:29 AM   #17
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

LA over Utah
Denver over NO
SA over Dallas
Portland over Houston

LA over Port
SA over Denver

LA over SA

Cavs over LA
Old 04-16-2009, 11:41 AM   #18
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsFanFinley View Post
LA over Utah
Denver over NO
SA over Dallas
Portland over Houston

LA over Port
SA over Denver

LA over SA

Cavs over LA
The Spurs aren't getting past the second round - IF they beat Dallas, they'll have nothing left in the tank to keep up with either Denver or Portland, just as Dallas won't if they win (although both teams might be able to grind it out with Houston, but I doubt the Rockets make it out of the first round...)

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 04-16-2009 at 11:42 AM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 11:50 AM   #19
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

LA over Utah
Hornets over Denver
Dallas over Spurs
Portland over Houston

LA over Portland
Dallas over Hornets

LA over Dallas

Cleveland over LA

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 02:41 PM   #20
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
Diamond Member

MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant future

LA ova Utah
NO ova Denver
Dallas ova SA
Houston ova Portland

LA ova Houston
Dallas ova NO

LA ova Dallas

Cleveland ova LA

Last edited by MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs; 04-16-2009 at 02:42 PM.
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 04:51 PM   #21
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
The Spurs aren't getting past the second round - IF they beat Dallas, they'll have nothing left in the tank to keep up with either Denver or Portland, just as Dallas won't if they win (although both teams might be able to grind it out with Houston, but I doubt the Rockets make it out of the first round...)
Winner of Spurs/Mavs faces winner of Nuggets/Hornets, not Blazers/Rockets.

Edit: Denver/Portland? I have no idea what you're saying.

Last edited by Dirkadirkastan; 04-16-2009 at 04:52 PM.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 04:58 PM   #22
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
Diamond Member

MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant future

Yeah 2nd round is Lakers/Jazz winner vs Blazers/Rockets winner and Mavs/Spurs winner vs Hornets/Nuggets winner.
Old 04-16-2009, 08:14 PM   #23
Justin Credible

Justin Credible is a name known to allJustin Credible is a name known to allJustin Credible is a name known to allJustin Credible is a name known to allJustin Credible is a name known to allJustin Credible is a name known to allJustin Credible is a name known to allJustin Credible is a name known to allJustin Credible is a name known to allJustin Credible is a name known to all

My predictions (posted on another forum):

If KG is out for the entire post season then I'd say it's a done deal for the Celtics. They could very easily, with KG, take the Cavs if they stepped up their game at home. I mean c'mon, it took the Cavs benching their entire starting lineup for the entire game for them to finally lose their second game this season at home by one.

I think that it will either be Cavs or Magic for the East, and the West is too hard to call. The matchups are absolutely perfect in the west.

You have the Jazz and the Lakers. The Jazz is good at cutting Lakers defense and getting to the paint, which results in easy points. On top of that they've shown the ability to play solid defense against Kobe which, if they can do that consistently, will give them a real shot in the first round. That being said I highly doubt that they will take the first round, but I do see it at least going to 6 with the Lakers taking it.

Then there's the Nuggets and Hornets. The Nuggets play some straight up physical defense and can shut down David West if they dedicate themselves to it.. But they're not going to shut down CP3. I think that if the Hornets want to win it then Chris Paul will be forced to carry them through the Nuggets. He's proven that he can score 40+ points without hesitation, but I doubt that will be enough. Good thing is that Tyson Chandler will be back so there won't be enough defenders to double team both of them and put any kind of pressure on Chris Paul. The only real chance the Hornets have, aside from CP3, is if Peja steps up and really plays his best. IMO that's too many variables to overcome for the Hornets. I have the Nuggets taking this in 6, 5 if David West or Tyson Chandler don't play up to their potential.

Spurs/Mavs. This is going to be a killer face off. The Mavs are playing the best ball of the season right now and could very easily take this one.. but it will come down to 7 games for sure. Tony Parker is playing some straight up killer ball right now, and Tim Duncan has stepped up his offensive presence right when he needs to. That being said Ginobili is the Spurs' closer, and he's out for the entire offseason (reported). That really gives the Mavs a chance to take it into the 2nd round given the seriously "upgraded" defensive efforts and having Josh Howard back to thin the Spurs' defensive presence. With the Spurs it looks like it will come down to the obvious Duncan/Parker efforts, but it will also come down to Mason Jr/Finley. Roger Mason Jr will really have to play some effective defense against Josh Howard and Jason Terry, whereas Finley will have to play his best offense possible. I, right now, pick the Mavs to win this in 7.

Then there's the Rockets/Blazers. The Blazers might have no experience whatsoever, but I highly doubt that lack of experience is going to effect B Roy's game. The Blazers are solid offensively, but I don't know if they really have enough to overcome the Rockets' solid defense. The Rockets are considered the best Defensive team in the league right now (since Celtics have been sans KG), and they're going to be rallying up hardcore since the 4th quarter crush by the Mavericks last night. I would love to pick a winner here, but I don't know if I'd be able to. If I were forced to make a bet then I would put the Blazers up, but I don't want to be quoted on that. Mostly I just hope that the Blazers come through the Rockets because I believe that they are the biggest threat to the Lakers.
Justin Credible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 11:38 PM   #24
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
Diamond Member

The most marketable NBA Finals would be Cavs/Mavs because it rhymes.
Old 04-17-2009, 08:49 AM   #25
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

cavs ftw
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 11:29 AM   #26
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

LA over Utah
Denver over NO
Dallas over SA
Hou over Port

LA over Hou
Den over Dal

LA over Den

Cavs over LA

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 04:34 AM   #27
12 Tone Melodies

12 Tone Melodies is a splendid one to behold12 Tone Melodies is a splendid one to behold12 Tone Melodies is a splendid one to behold12 Tone Melodies is a splendid one to behold12 Tone Melodies is a splendid one to behold12 Tone Melodies is a splendid one to behold12 Tone Melodies is a splendid one to behold12 Tone Melodies is a splendid one to behold12 Tone Melodies is a splendid one to behold12 Tone Melodies is a splendid one to behold12 Tone Melodies is a splendid one to behold

Boston over Chicago
Orlando over Philly
Cleveland over Detroit
Atlanta over Miami

Boston over Orlando
Cleveland over Atlanta

Boston over Cleveland

Boston over San Antonio

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress.
- John Adams
12 Tone Melodies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 09:49 PM   #28
Laotor

Laotor will become famous soon enough

For whoever is watching the Houston - Portland match ups right now, I was wondering who are you going for in this series?? Personally I'm going for Houston but think Portland will win..

Yao is doing great and WOW this Portland arena is LOUD
Laotor is offline   Reply With Quote