Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 11-03-2018, 04:25 PM   #441
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

UD and I were seriously questioning the fit of Smith and Doncic together before the draft. The saving grace is Smith is one of the few, if only, players who actively tries to get Luka the ball. And I see Luka bring the ball up the court a fair amount. Those two still aren't the glaring issue. The issue is in the half court sets when Luka gets largely ignored. The fast break stuff is usually gravy.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-2018, 11:31 PM   #442
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
UD and I were seriously questioning the fit of Smith and Doncic together before the draft. The saving grace is Smith is one of the few, if only, players who actively tries to get Luka the ball. And I see Luka bring the ball up the court a fair amount. Those two still aren't the glaring issue. The issue is in the half court sets when Luka gets largely ignored. The fast break stuff is usually gravy.
Yep, I was talking about that to a friend earlier today... My biggest issue with going after Luka was that I figured you'd need to trade DSJ to make it work. It seems like Dennis is at least TRYING to make it work, I'm just not sure if he CAN make it work... I do like the score-first mentality that netted him 20 points the other night, but I don't like that he "lost himself" in the process, getting 0 assists and 6 TOs. He needs to find balance.

I can envision him in a prime Devin Harris combo role, but I don't know if Dennis can withstand the ups and downs of a score-first mentality without having solid defense to fall back on like Harris did. Maybe moving Wes for a true 3&D guard to help defend the perimeter could make this work, but it has to be a guy who doesn't need the ball in his hands in offense to be effective... Not a lot of options there.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 04:16 PM   #443
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Yep, I was talking about that to a friend earlier today... My biggest issue with going after Luka was that I figured you'd need to trade DSJ to make it work. It seems like Dennis is at least TRYING to make it work, I'm just not sure if he CAN make it work... I do like the score-first mentality that netted him 20 points the other night, but I don't like that he "lost himself" in the process, getting 0 assists and 6 TOs. He needs to find balance.

I can envision him in a prime Devin Harris combo role, but I don't know if Dennis can withstand the ups and downs of a score-first mentality without having solid defense to fall back on like Harris did. Maybe moving Wes for a true 3&D guard to help defend the perimeter could make this work, but it has to be a guy who doesn't need the ball in his hands in offense to be effective... Not a lot of options there.
I'm hoping DFS can elevate his game to fill that role. I wish Rick would give him the role Wes currently has because he would embrace it and play within his limits.
rimrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 06:10 PM   #444
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimrocker View Post
I'm hoping DFS can elevate his game to fill that role. I wish Rick would give him the role Wes currently has because he would embrace it and play within his limits.
DFS has a game that could really be elevated and complement Doncic if we ever put it together. You don't want a bunch of ball-dominant guys out there around Doncic. You want guys who can contribute without having the ball and within the flow of an offense. DFS is it.

I used to think Matthews could have been that guy, but his defense is just too bad and whether it's what Rick is asking of him or what he fancies himself, he's stopped being a guy who can lay back and play within an offense.

I know we need guys to crack the offense to create secondary drives and interruptions for Doncic, but Matthews isnt it.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 06:28 PM   #445
turin
Diamond Member

turin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant future

I hope DSJ and Luka can mesh, but I really prefer that Luka be the primary ball handler. There is no excuse for him to not touch the ball on just about every possession he's in the game imo.
turin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 08:00 PM   #446
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by turin View Post
I hope DSJ and Luka can mesh, but I really prefer that Luka be the primary ball handler. There is no excuse for him to not touch the ball on just about every possession he's in the game imo.
More than offense, DSJ just can't be the worst defender on the floor if he's going to be part of the plan with Doncic. Smith has been incredibly disappointing defensively.
Old 11-04-2018, 09:25 PM   #447
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Well we may see what it’s like without Luka

He sat out of practice with an injured ankle according to Sefko
Old 11-05-2018, 09:05 AM   #448
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Too bad it wasn't Wes with an ankle tweak so we could try the lineup we hope for.

Changing the SLU would help kill two birds with one stone. It improves your defense and keeps Wes from screwing up possessions by doing too much with other more competent players on the floor.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 04:25 AM   #449
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Mavs rookie Luka Doncic is opening eyes around the NBA, and win vs. Washington was just a continuation of that
https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dal...t-continuation

Quote:
Allow Tuesday's opposing coach, Scott Brooks, to illuminate the big picture for Mavericks fans: Luka Doncic. The rookie's savvy and obvious potential dazzle Brooks.

"I don't look at him as a young player," he said. "He's a legitimate NBA player who's going to be a superstar in this league.

"Every game, you look at him you say, 'OK, you sure this guy is only 19?'"

Old 11-07-2018, 04:56 PM   #450
Luka's Mom

Luka's Mom is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luka's Mom View Post
Luka will easily average 11/5/4 or more on the Mavs.
Well, I guess technically I was right.
Luka's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 12:20 AM   #451
NeedlesKane
Platinum Member

NeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luka's Mom View Post
Well, I guess technically I was right.
Mommy knows best. I said I wanted to be wrong too. I totally was trying to lower expectations for him.
Old 11-08-2018, 01:48 AM   #452
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Last edited by SMC0007; 11-08-2018 at 01:49 AM.
Old 11-08-2018, 08:18 AM   #453
greenhorn63

greenhorn63 is a jewel in the roughgreenhorn63 is a jewel in the roughgreenhorn63 is a jewel in the roughgreenhorn63 is a jewel in the rough

Luka with 14 year ( 6'2'', 165 lbs.....vision, dunks, floaters....).....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIHUirZkjhI

Who knows what we can expect from this kid in the future????!!!!!

Last edited by greenhorn63; 11-08-2018 at 08:21 AM.
greenhorn63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 08:48 AM   #454
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn63 View Post
Luka with 14 year ( 6'2'', 165 lbs.....vision, dunks, floaters....).....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIHUirZkjhI

Who knows what we can expect from this kid in the future????!!!!!
We probably can expect him to leave and go win somewhere

Old 11-08-2018, 09:17 AM   #455
greenhorn63

greenhorn63 is a jewel in the roughgreenhorn63 is a jewel in the roughgreenhorn63 is a jewel in the roughgreenhorn63 is a jewel in the rough

I'm from Slovenia and I personally want to stay in Dallas and win something especially for really exceptional Mavs but at the end...that's will be just his decision!

In any case....Dallas Mavericks can try again on draft in 5 years while Slovenia has in Real Madrid Basketball Academy a copy of Luka!

Urban Klavžar, 14 years, 6'7''
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_p-Px8AsWc (14 points in 2 minutes)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMzIgpeXZJM

You never know......
greenhorn63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 01:26 PM   #456
Underdog

@NickVanExit: The only PLAYERS in the NBA that score 20+ points per game and shoot better than 47% from the field and 40% from three are...

Steph Curry
Kemba Walker
Blake Griffin
Kawhi Leonard
Tobias Harris
Buddy Hield
Luka Doncic

@NickVanExit: The only players to do this for the entire season last year were All-Stars

Steph Curry
Kevin Durant
Kyrie Irving
Klay Thompson
Karl-Anthony Towns

@NickVanExit: The last 5 players to hold these numbers and not make the All-Star team.

Bradley Beal 16-17
Goran Dragic 16-17
CJ McCollum 16-17
Goran Dragic 13-14
Kevin Durant 08-09

Old 11-11-2018, 07:39 AM   #457
dirt_dobber
Diamond Member

dirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond repute

Tim Cato@tim_cato

Luka Doncic's 12th game: 22 points, 6 rebounds, 8 assists, 9-15 shooting in 31 minutes

but three teams passed on him because ...
[checks notes]
the european vets he kept dominating weren't american teenagers?
dirt_dobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 02:15 PM   #458
Underdog

Luka Doncic Turnover Breakdown (Video)
https://www.mavsmoneyball.com/2018/1...reakdown-video
Quote:
Luka Doncic is averaging over 4 turnovers per game. Here’s where all the TOs are coming from and which areas he can clean up

Last edited by Underdog; 11-13-2018 at 02:16 PM.
Old 11-14-2018, 11:19 AM   #459
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

He's going to be a 3-3.5 TO per game type guy... just the way he plays the game. So yeah, he can improve a bit, but don't ever expect the Dirk type efficiency with regards to TO's. Dirk created much of the offense both for himself and for his teammates.. but he accomplished it in a different manner. It's just something we're going to have to get used to.

Last edited by Murphy3; 11-14-2018 at 11:21 AM.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 01:36 PM   #460
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3 View Post
He's going to be a 3-3.5 TO per game type guy... just the way he plays the game. So yeah, he can improve a bit, but don't ever expect the Dirk type efficiency with regards to TO's. Dirk created much of the offense both for himself and for his teammates.. but he accomplished it in a different manner. It's just something we're going to have to get used to.
I don't know why anyone would try to compare them. Doncic will have the ball in his hands trying to create offense in more ways than Dirk. The TO's will be higher but so will the APG...by far.

Old 11-14-2018, 06:22 PM   #461
Luka's Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt_dobber View Post
Tim Cato@tim_cato

Luka Doncic's 12th game: 22 points, 6 rebounds, 8 assists, 9-15 shooting in 31 minutes

but three teams passed on him because ...
[checks notes]
the european vets he kept dominating weren't american teenagers?
I want to frame this tweet.
Old 11-14-2018, 07:07 PM   #462
turin
Diamond Member

turin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
I don't know why anyone would try to compare them. Doncic will have the ball in his hands trying to create offense in more ways than Dirk. The TO's will be higher but so will the APG...by far.
A lot of people don't remember it, but Magic Johnson averaged almost 3.9 TO/game during his career. His BEST year was 3.7. Dynamic playmakers tend to be more aggressive and opportunistic, but obviously, the positives can easily outweigh the negatives. Magic had a decent career for such a turnover machine. ;-)
turin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 07:40 PM   #463
Luka's Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by turin View Post
A lot of people don't remember it, but Magic Johnson averaged almost 3.9 TO/game during his career. His BEST year was 3.7. Dynamic playmakers tend to be more aggressive and opportunistic, but obviously, the positives can easily outweigh the negatives. Magic had a decent career for such a turnover machine. ;-)
Have to look at the assist to turnover ratio to determine if someone is turning it over too much. 2:1 ratio is pretty good for a PG. Luka had a ratio like that in Europe.
Old 11-14-2018, 10:39 PM   #464
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Half of the TO coming from DJ half-assing his rolls to the basket
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 10:41 AM   #465
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
Which was my point. Dirk created the offense from the post .. it's apples and oranges. Doncic will definitively have more TO's. It will be something that some have to get used to seeing your best player averaging 3+ TO's per game. And for the way he plays the game, that's ok. 4+ a game is a bit too much considering he's not always the primary ball handler on the court..But he will improve.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 06:24 AM   #466
j0Shi
Diamond Member

j0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2018/1...a-teams-week-6

Quote:
Doncic is averaging 19.2 points, 6.8 rebounds, and 4.1 assists per game, while shooting 45.3 percent from the field and 37.5 percent from 3-point range, and it almost feels like he hasn’t even gotten started yet.
https://twitter.com/kirkgoldsberry/s...12864578281474

Trae Young

j0Shi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 02:43 PM   #467
burner2014

burner2014 will become famous soon enough

ESPN sees Doncic as ROY so far http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2...vp-frontrunner (one vote for Ayton)
burner2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 05:02 PM   #468
hayth.james.g
Golden Member

hayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant future

How is it that these guys are spinning Young’s start as a positive? He is incredibly inefficient while showing zero positives in the areas of his game people were concerned with coming out of college.
hayth.james.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 06:28 PM   #469
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayth.james.g View Post
How is it that these guys are spinning Young’s start as a positive? He is incredibly inefficient while showing zero positives in the areas of his game people were concerned with coming out of college.
No idea. He's been terrible. He has the occasional decent game but even his decent games he's incredibly inefficient.
Bryan_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 10:06 PM   #470
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

Moving to around the nba on second thought.

Last edited by Bryan_Wilson; 11-23-2018 at 10:07 PM.
Old 11-27-2018, 10:08 AM   #471
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Pure gold

https://www.theringer.com/video/2018...to-luka-doncic
Old 11-27-2018, 10:24 AM   #472
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefant77 View Post
Idk, I checked out at about the 15 second mark.

Love Luka tho

Old 11-27-2018, 10:33 AM   #473
sefant77
Guru

So you missed a lot of funny lines...song is funny as hell

Last edited by sefant77; 11-27-2018 at 10:33 AM.
Old 11-27-2018, 10:43 AM   #474
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Quote:
This.... is the greatest song ever created. And it's not close.
Old 11-27-2018, 10:56 AM   #475
MavzMan
Golden Member

MavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant future

The graphic above has a cutoff of 200 shots which several people have criticized that there are lots of players just below that threshold that are in the low-60's. Still not in Steph range but good none the less.

Looking at just pure EFG% (which I honestly don't even know how is calculated):
https://www.teamrankings.com/nba/pla...efg-percentage

#1 Rudy Gobert Utah Jazz C 69.8%
#6 Stephen Curry Golden State Warriors PG 64.6%
#10 DeAndre Jordan Dallas Mavericks C 62.7%
#67 Luka Doncic Dallas Mavericks SF 53.6%
#71 Wesley Matthews Dallas Mavericks SG 53.1%
#98 Dennis Smith Jr. Dallas Mavericks PG 50.5%

Steph is the first non-big guy at the top with Moore jumping in at #12. So I guess Steph is still amazing as if noone disputes that but Goldberry's graphic emphasizes it quite a bit more given the right numerical restriction of 200+ shots.

I love stats and all, but they can almost always either say what you want or reinforce what you want with the right set of restrictions. I honestly LOL at some of the stats that pop up during NBA and NFL games. They do anything they can to make games or players look amazing.
MavzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 11:06 AM   #476
MavzMan
Golden Member

MavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant future

https://www.teamrankings.com/nba/player-stat/fta-fga

Doncic squeaking in at #100 in FTA / FGA

1 Quincy Pondexter San Antonio Spurs SF 0.833
4 Rudy Gobert Utah Jazz C 0.715
8 DeAndre Jordan Dallas Mavericks C 0.619
14 James Harden Houston Rockets SG 0.491
22 Marvin Bagley III Sacramento Kings PF 0.455
68 Wendell Carter Jr Chicago Bulls PF 0.328
76 Jaren Jackson Jr. Memphis Grizzlies PF 0.314
100 Luka Doncic Dallas Mavericks SF 0.273

As a side note, Gobert appears in the top of a lot of these advanced stats which is pretty interesting.
MavzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 10:22 PM   #477
gmb

gmb is just really nicegmb is just really nicegmb is just really nicegmb is just really nicegmb is just really nicegmb is just really nice

Quote:
Cool and super creepy at the same time.
gmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 12:07 AM   #478
NeedlesKane
Platinum Member

NeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavzMan View Post
The graphic above has a cutoff of 200 shots which several people have criticized that there are lots of players just below that threshold that are in the low-60's. Still not in Steph range but good none the less.

Looking at just pure EFG% (which I honestly don't even know how is calculated):
https://www.teamrankings.com/nba/pla...efg-percentage

#1 Rudy Gobert Utah Jazz C 69.8%
#6 Stephen Curry Golden State Warriors PG 64.6%
#10 DeAndre Jordan Dallas Mavericks C 62.7%
#67 Luka Doncic Dallas Mavericks SF 53.6%
#71 Wesley Matthews Dallas Mavericks SG 53.1%
#98 Dennis Smith Jr. Dallas Mavericks PG 50.5%

Steph is the first non-big guy at the top with Moore jumping in at #12. So I guess Steph is still amazing as if noone disputes that but Goldberry's graphic emphasizes it quite a bit more given the right numerical restriction of 200+ shots.

I love stats and all, but they can almost always either say what you want or reinforce what you want with the right set of restrictions. I honestly LOL at some of the stats that pop up during NBA and NFL games. They do anything they can to make games or players look amazing.
eFG is easy to calculate. Let's say you took 1 shot from 3-point range and made it and took no other shots. You have an eFG of 150%.

eFG = (2P + 1.5 * 3P) / FGA

So for Stephen Curry he has 60 2-pointers made, 62 3-pointers made, and 237 field goal attempts.

(60 + 1.5 * 62) / 237 = (60 + 93) / 237 = 153 / 237 = .646

I'd like to add how we should add to how crazy his stats are. This does not account for his free throw shooting. He's 48 for 52 from the free throw line (.923).

Last edited by NeedlesKane; 11-28-2018 at 12:09 AM.
NeedlesKane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 01:46 AM   #479
Underdog

Quote:
@jga41agher: This is so cool. Someone sent me a clip of Steve Kerr talking about the 'Halleluka' song on the radio for some reason. (cc: @IsaacKLee) : https://twitter.com/jga41agher/statu...33334606417920

Old 11-28-2018, 06:41 AM   #480
Dolencd

Dolencd is a name known to allDolencd is a name known to allDolencd is a name known to allDolencd is a name known to allDolencd is a name known to allDolencd is a name known to allDolencd is a name known to allDolencd is a name known to allDolencd is a name known to allDolencd is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_Wilson View Post
This.... is the greatest song ever created. And it's not close.
Man I'm totally with you on this one.

Cheers!
Dolencd is offline   Reply With Quote