Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 05-30-2019, 04:08 PM   #1201
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewizard View Post
Fish is such garbage. How does he pass that off as actual reporting? BREAKING NEWS: Mavs will listen if another team offers us a good player. Wow no way really? He doesn't even know if they've actually called or not. I hate that that hack is in charge of one of the most active Mavs boards on the internet.
"either the Rockets have called the Mavs or they haven't" is hard-hitting sports news. It takes big balls to get a scoop like that. Be nice to Fish.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-2019, 10:44 PM   #1202
pocman

pocman has a spectacular aura aboutpocman has a spectacular aura aboutpocman has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap2390 View Post
Dedmon - Dwight - Salah
KP - Maxi - Kostas
Luka - Jackson - Broekhoff
THJ - Rookie - Harris
Beverly - Brunson - JJB

is my latest pipe dream
Seems pretty doable.
My latest pipedream is same as yours minus Powell plus Bogdanovic (more difficult in my opinion).
pocman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 03:29 AM   #1203
j0Shi
Diamond Member

j0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond repute

Putting fit aside, what do we have that Houston wants? Feels like a bunch of people just throw matching contracts out there that don't make tons of sense for Morey. They want lottery picks/talent back. Jackson, Brunson, Powell? OK, but other teams can beat that by a mile. Also think HOU wants a pick this year because they want to stay competitive / improve the roster.

Last edited by j0Shi; 05-31-2019 at 03:30 AM.
j0Shi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 04:39 AM   #1204
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0Shi View Post
Putting fit aside, what do we have that Houston wants? Feels like a bunch of people just throw matching contracts out there that don't make tons of sense for Morey. They want lottery picks/talent back. Jackson, Brunson, Powell? OK, but other teams can beat that by a mile. Also think HOU wants a pick this year because they want to stay competitive / improve the roster.
Paul is one of the 5 biggest negative value contracts in the NBA.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 05:40 AM   #1205
JJP

JJP is a glorious beacon of lightJJP is a glorious beacon of lightJJP is a glorious beacon of lightJJP is a glorious beacon of lightJJP is a glorious beacon of lightJJP is a glorious beacon of lightJJP is a glorious beacon of lightJJP is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Exactly. Not only that, but you don't have to commit Mavs money on 4-year contracts unless you're absolutely positive that's your guy. Other top tier players are going to be available. I've spoken elsewhere about Capela's offensive limitations. I'd rather hang on to the money until a better fit becomes available.
JJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 09:49 AM   #1206
turin
Diamond Member

turin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan View Post
Paul is one of the 5 biggest negative value contracts in the NBA.
At 37 years of age, who is worse? I can't think of anybody off hand. Heck, the injured Chandler Parson's contract from first year in Minnesota looks like a bargain compared to Paul's millstone.
turin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 09:57 AM   #1207
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by turin View Post
At 37 years of age, who is worse? I can't think of anybody off hand. Heck, the injured Chandler Parson's contract from first year in Minnesota looks like a bargain compared to Paul's millstone.
37 isn't bad for a little guy.

37 years old and 44.2mill is ridiculous
Old 05-31-2019, 08:10 PM   #1208
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by turin View Post
John wall is without question worse. The instant kemba signs his supermax, he'll be worse assuming he does so
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 08:32 PM   #1209
Me.B

Me.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap2390 View Post
Dedmon - Dwight - Salah
KP - Maxi - Kostas
Luka - Jackson - Broekhoff
THJ - Rookie - Harris
Beverly - Brunson - JJB

is my latest pipe dream

Mine would be:

Willie Cauley-Stein/Salah
Kristaps/Maxi/Kostas
Jimmy Butler/Jackson/Broekhoff
Luka/THJ
Beverly/Brunson/JJB

This is very doable but they would have to add another center in free agency obviously.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Me.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 08:38 PM   #1210
Me.B

Me.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewizard View Post
Fish is such garbage. How does he pass that off as actual reporting? BREAKING NEWS: Mavs will listen if another team offers us a good player. Wow no way really? He doesn't even know if they've actually called or not. I hate that that hack is in charge of one of the most active Mavs boards on the internet.

I don’t mind Fish. I’ve been listening to him for a long time. You have to take what he “reports” with a grain of salt. He does have an inside view of the Mavs. It it’s just from a super homerish angle.

Old 05-31-2019, 08:38 PM   #1211
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Great attitude.

Instead of "i wanna become much better, make the playoffs blabla" its "i wanna get paaaaid"

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/ki...ready-get-paid
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 08:39 PM   #1212
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Great attitude.

Instead of "i wanna become much better, make the playoffs blabla" its "i wanna get paaaaid"

Old 05-31-2019, 08:41 PM   #1213
Me.B

Quote:

I think they want to add KD or Kawhi. So the biggest thing they need is cap space. They need someone to take CP3 and Capela off their hands. If they can get draft picks as well then great. Any contract they take back really only hurts their cause.

Old 05-31-2019, 08:47 PM   #1214
Me.B

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefant77 View Post
Great attitude.

Honestly he’s due. He’s put in the work and improved his game. He’s 25 years old now and really does deserve to get paid. Now the market will determine how much he gets paid. I could easily see him getting what Capela makes though. He’s a good rebounder, plays solid defense, is not terrible from mid-range, is a really good roll man, and hustles his tail off. His qualifying offer is $6.2 mil as a restricted FA. I could easily see a team offering him $10 mil and the Kings letting him walk.

Old 05-31-2019, 09:05 PM   #1215
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefant77 View Post
Great attitude.

Erick Dampier 2.0.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 08:55 AM   #1216
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Not a fan of WCS
Old 06-01-2019, 09:08 AM   #1217
turin
Diamond Member

turin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
Not a fan of WCS
Agree. I had enough of a reminder of part-time effort when Deandre was here. I'll take a hard pass. I've got a feeling Vuc is a target for the Kings, and they will let WCS go.

Last edited by turin; 06-01-2019 at 09:10 AM.
turin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 09:41 AM   #1218
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

I loved WCS until we got KP and Powell took his game to another level.
Powell, Maxi, KP and Mejri can all give us everything WCS can and more.

Don't see him as a good fit on this team and it would be wasted money unless we can get him dirt cheap after securing a much bigger FA.
rimrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 10:30 AM   #1219
Thomas86
Golden Member

Thomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to all

What about Clint Capela, Patrick Beverley and Jimmy Butler?...

C Capela
PF Porzingis
SF Doncic
SG Butler
PG Beverley
Thomas86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 12:44 PM   #1220
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas86 View Post
What about Clint Capela, Patrick Beverley and Jimmy Butler?...

C Capela
PF Porzingis
SF Doncic
SG Butler
PG Beverley
Adding Capela would prevent us from having the cap space to sign a max FA like Butler, even if Powell walked... The most expensive single move we could make would be to throw ~$20m at a guy like Brogdon (if you wanted to go that high for him).

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 06-01-2019 at 12:45 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 01:26 PM   #1221
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Adding Capela would prevent us from having the cap space to sign a max FA like Butler, even if Powell walked... The most expensive single move we could make would be to throw ~$20m at a guy like Brogdon (if you wanted to go that high for him).
Even if we waive Courtney Lee? That would free up $10 mil I thought.
BPo001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 02:35 PM   #1222
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPo001 View Post
Even if we waive Courtney Lee? That would free up $10 mil I thought.
In the NBA you can waive players, but you can’t waive contracts... Once a player clears waivers, another team can sign him for whatever amount, but we’d still be on the hook for the difference between his old contract and his new contract.

Old 06-01-2019, 04:24 PM   #1223
Underdog

Kemba Walker opens up on free agency: ‘Charlotte’s definitely my first priority’
https://theathletic.com/1005859/2019...irst-priority/
Quote:
"But yeah, the fifth year is important. I'm not going to lie to you about that. The fifth year is important. I'll be, what, 33 by then?"

Old 06-01-2019, 04:47 PM   #1224
sefant77
Guru

Yeah he is not walking away from a five year Deal, even If its a little bit below supermax

Last edited by sefant77; 06-01-2019 at 04:55 PM.
Old 06-01-2019, 05:03 PM   #1225
JJP

JJP is a glorious beacon of lightJJP is a glorious beacon of lightJJP is a glorious beacon of lightJJP is a glorious beacon of lightJJP is a glorious beacon of lightJJP is a glorious beacon of lightJJP is a glorious beacon of lightJJP is a glorious beacon of light

The whole Kemba Walker thing always felt like a lot of smoke. The odds were always pretty poor in my opinion.
Old 06-01-2019, 05:03 PM   #1226
oilfieldtrash
Golden Member

oilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of light

Let them have Kemba. He's a good player but I think he is a detriment to the team at a max contract.
oilfieldtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 05:48 PM   #1227
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Fine by me. Fit was questionable at best even with his talent.

Old 06-01-2019, 06:05 PM   #1228
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilfieldtrash View Post
Let them have Kemba. He's a good player but I think he is a detriment to the team at a max contract.
Not if you have 2 other stars on your team which is what I Think most of us think we have in Luka and KP.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 06:06 PM   #1229
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
Fine by me. Fit was questionable at best even with his talent.
If his fit in this offense is questionable then we need to overhaul the offense. You make a Kemba Walker fit. I just don't understand that argument. A ball dominant player can work on this team.
Old 06-01-2019, 06:08 PM   #1230
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

So let me ask you guys that are in the Beverly fan club. Is this about just getting a better version of what Brunson was? Someone who can play defense and is a veteran? Because I'd honestly rather go into next season with Brunson as our starter than waste money on Beverly. To me Beverly is a mid-level exception player. I'm under the cap so I'm not interested in mid-level exception players unless I can add a star to them.
Old 06-01-2019, 06:33 PM   #1231
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtownsfinest View Post
If his fit in this offense is questionable then we need to overhaul the offense. You make a Kemba Walker fit. I just don't understand that argument. A ball dominant player can work on this team.
I think another ball dominant player can work, but I'm not sure another pg would. And we do need an athletic defender next to Luka. Why do you think Rick was turning DSJ in a second fiddle athletic defender? OK, Smith wasn't good at running a team, but there is something to that. Luka is the alpha in a big, big way. If max Kemba isn't on board with that, then I do think it could be an issue. I don't think it has anything to do with the offense...just who is running it.

Old 06-01-2019, 06:37 PM   #1232
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
I think another ball dominant player can work, but I'm not sure another pg would. And we do need an athletic defender next to Luka. Why do you think Rick was turning DSJ in a second fiddle athletic defender? OK, Smith wasn't good at running a team, but there is something to that. Luka is the alpha in a big, big way. If max Kemba isn't on board with that, then I do think it could be an issue. I don't think it has anything to do with the offense...just who is running it.
I think it can work. I see teams doing it all the time. Blazers have a rotation where when its time for LIllard to go to the bench they slide McCollum to the point guard spot. Rockets allow Paul to be more ball dominant when Harden is on the bench.

I think Luka is a good enough scorer to where he can score off the ball as well.

I believe in order to build a solid contender you need as many stars as you possibly can gather. I think getting a 3rd star in here would make us legit contenders. So its not that I'm stuck on Walker. I'd love to get any of these guys if they'd want to come here. For that rare occurrence we have salary cap space....I just don't want to waste it on the Patrick Beverly's of the world.
Old 06-01-2019, 07:28 PM   #1233
Me.B

Quote:
So let me ask you guys that are in the Beverly fan club. Is this about just getting a better version of what Brunson was? Someone who can play defense and is a veteran? Because I'd honestly rather go into next season with Brunson as our starter than waste money on Beverly. To me Beverly is a mid-level exception player. I'm under the cap so I'm not interested in mid-level exception players unless I can add a star to them.

This team has playoff aspirations and Beverly would be a great addition to the team because of his grit and playoff experience. He’s gone toe to toe and guarded some of the best scorers in the NBA during the playoffs. Brunson might eventually be that guy but he’s not there yet. If that’s the goal for him though, what better way to help him then by bringing in Beverly. Every playoff team needs a guard/wing with grit. The Mavs have had a couple of them over the years (NVE, Stackhouse, Stevenson). Beverly is right in that same mold.

Old 06-01-2019, 08:09 PM   #1234
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
I think it can work. I see teams doing it all the time. Blazers have a rotation where when its time for LIllard to go to the bench they slide McCollum to the point guard spot. Rockets allow Paul to be more ball dominant when Harden is on the bench.

I think Luka is a good enough scorer to where he can score off the ball as well.

I believe in order to build a solid contender you need as many stars as you possibly can gather. I think getting a 3rd star in here would make us legit contenders. So its not that I'm stuck on Walker. I'd love to get any of these guys if they'd want to come here. For that rare occurrence we have salary cap space....I just don't want to waste it on the Patrick Beverly's of the world.
Oh, I'm not in the "Beverly and spare parts" crowd at all. Problem is fans have issues with everyone. Kemba fit. Butler nutcase. Randle no defense. Vuc a center next to KP. I think we have to go for one of those though and roll the dice. I don't think the Brogdons/Beverlys move the needle just by themselves.

Hate to say it, but I think I'd roll the dice on Butler if he was open to a meeting.

Old 06-01-2019, 09:01 PM   #1235
JJP

Quote:
Oh, I'm not in the "Beverly and spare parts" crowd at all. Problem is fans have issues with everyone. Kemba fit. Butler nutcase. Randle no defense. Vuc a center next to KP. I think we have to go for one of those though and roll the dice. I don't think the Brogdons/Beverlys move the needle just by themselves.

Hate to say it, but I think I'd roll the dice on Butler if he was open to a meeting.
I'm not exactly sure why people think we have to have some max player this year just because we have money. The two people who are going to "move the needle" for this franchise are Luca and KP. Everyone else is support cast.

If the Mavs don't find a max player super stud this season, they sign good players to one and two year contracts until better players become available. Great teams aren't put together in one year.

That's why a guy like Brogdon is a great piece by itself, but even he might not be available. I think people need to lower their expectations a little. Dallas isn't a playoff team yet. No FA is going to make the Mavs a high priority this year. This year we will have to get lucky, and if we find just one keeper component it should be viewed as a success.

Our goal next season is to make the playoffs in a division that's already stacked with good teams.
Old 06-01-2019, 09:34 PM   #1236
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJP View Post
I'm not exactly sure why people think we have to have some max player this year just because we have money. The two people who are going to "move the needle" for this franchise are Luca and KP. Everyone else is support cast.
"We like stars" is a direct quote from Donnie after the KP trade. I know the FO likes to play poker with the media, but I'm not sure why he would lie about that.

Quote:
If the Mavs don't find a max player super stud this season, they sign good players to one and two year contracts until better players become available. Great teams aren't put together in one year.
Uh, Celtics added Ray Allen and KP to Pierce in one summer. Wade, Bron, and Bosh all at once. I agree we have young talent that needs developing, but you simply can't waste the this free agency on plan Z unless there is no other choice. They would have just kept Barnes if they were to just settle on a decent player on a short contract.

Quote:
That's why a guy like Brogdon is a great piece by itself, but even he might not be available. I think people need to lower their expectations a little. Dallas isn't a playoff team yet. No FA is going to make the Mavs a high priority this year. This year we will have to get lucky, and if we find just one keeper component it should be viewed as a success.
It can easily be argued that overpaying Brogdon is one of the riskiest moves there is, and Mil likely won't let him go. And I'm not so sure free agents won't take a hard look at Dallas. That was true with an older Dirk, but I bet Luka fever has caught on around the league.

Quote:
Our goal next season is to make the playoffs in a division that's already stacked with good teams.
If our goal is to make the playoffs, then you need as much talent as possible. I think we can with a healthy KP, but I know we can if we added an A list talent. Why shoot for 8 when you can shoot for higher?

Old 06-01-2019, 09:44 PM   #1237
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

The problem is there is a huge drop off from our 2nd best player and our 3rd best. I’d vastly overpay for Brogdon to upgrade our core with a young player to develop chemistry as soon as possible.

I’m not crazy about going after guys around 30 that are role players.
rimrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 06:29 AM   #1238
JJP

Let's not misinterpret what I'm saying here.

We have money to get good players, but we have no playoff track record with which to attract them (as Boston did in 2008). We are going to have to be lucky because Dallas will not be the first choice of most FAs. Not Kemba, not Butler, not Thompson, not Durant, not Harris, not any star that I can think of.

But after all the shaking loose of money and free agents this summer, some good players are going to be available. The question will be how you sign them. There's not many "good" players I'm willing to sign to four-year contracts at max money now knowing that a huge number of stars will be available in 2021. The idea is to get a good team to get to the playoffs.

We are fortunate that we have the same people in place who built a championship around Dirks talent (work that took well over a decade). You want the best players, but you don't want to overpay with a long contract (Alan Crabbe makes almost 20 million a year on a 4-year contract) or a superstar that's aging like Chris Paul. But you can afford to overpay a little for a one-year contract.

What I'm saying is that if you signed JJ Reddick on a one-year contract, that's not a necessarily a failure. That might be the best you could do this year. That's a perfect player on a one-year contract until you can find the better player. You sign two or three players like that, and you have a good shot at the playoffs.

When Dallas won it all, Dirk and Jason Kidd were the super stars. Terry came off the bench. Tyson Chandler was on a one-year contract. Success for Dallas might be finding the next Shawn Marion this year - a veteran guy who was a complementary piece.

That's why having a conversation about Beverley makes more sense (and why he's an option over Brunson). I don't think Beverley will be a Maverick, but guys like that make sense in a realistic discussion. He is a veteran that has the right skill set and possibly the right salary. The same is true with guys like Dedmon.

So my expectations are to get to the playoffs this nest season. Acquiring veterans for this team is important to that end - and if we don't get lucky with a max-contract stud this season, we get good veteran players on shorter contracts. The 2011 NBA champs did they same thing with Chandler and Peja.

Last edited by JJP; 06-02-2019 at 06:52 AM.
Old 06-02-2019, 07:00 AM   #1239
pocman

pocman has a spectacular aura aboutpocman has a spectacular aura aboutpocman has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Let's not misinterpret what I'm saying here.

We have money to get good players, but we have no playoff track record with which to attract them (as Boston did in 2008). We are going to have to be lucky because Dallas will not be the first choice of most FAs. Not Kemba, not Butler, not Thompson, not Durant, not Harris, not any star that I can think of.

But after all the shaking loose of money and free agents this summer, some good players are going to be available. The question will be how you sign them. There's not many "good" players I'm willing to sign to four-year contracts at max money now knowing that a huge number of stars will be available in 2021. The idea is to get a good team to get to the playoffs
What you say make sense but the fact that the front office traded Barnes show that they think otherwise. Also the problem is within Hardaway contract and KP signing for the max or close, it seems actually difficult to have cap space for a max contract in 2020...
pocman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 09:09 AM   #1240
JJP

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocman View Post
What you say make sense but the fact that the front office traded Barnes show that they think otherwise. Also the problem is within Hardaway contract and KP signing for the max or close, it seems actually difficult to have cap space for a max contract in 2020...
Trading Barnes just means they need money to be in the game. You want to be able to get a big FA, but that doesn't mean you're likely to. You might want Butler, but missing out on him and acquiring Terrence Ross may be a much better signing. However, If you don't have the money, a Durant or Kemba Walker is completely off the table. We can't even have the conversation. Dallas might be a good second choice for a star player if negotiations elsewhere have them falling through the cracks.

There's an ESPN article posted a week ago about how Dallas will likely retain good cap space for the next three years (subscription). Hardaway is a problem, but I suspect will be tradeable next season. We will add contracts between now and 2021, but some contracts will come off the books. The Mavs are in good shape for awhile. We can afford to be both picky and patient.

Last edited by JJP; 06-02-2019 at 09:20 AM.

Tags
win now