Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 02-25-2002, 01:18 PM   #1
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

From the Dallas Morning News
----------------------------------------------
Dirk Nowitzki is the first player in the NBA to post two straight 20-point, 20-rebound games since Vlade Divac did it for Del Harris' LA Lakers in February 1995.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-2002, 01:20 PM   #2
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

He may be able to get 30 tomorrow. It's the friggin Grizz. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Website - www.thegamesector.com
Hell bent 100% Texan 'til I die.
LonestarROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2002, 01:30 PM   #3
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

According to the Fort Worth Star Telegram Dirk's feat is the first time a Mavericks player has recorded 20 or more rebounds in back-to-back games.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2002, 06:41 PM   #4
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

how awesome would it be for dirk to have back-to back-to back games with 20+ boards.
when was the last mav that averaged 10+ boards a game?
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2002, 06:56 PM   #5
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

Donaldson perhaps? I don't know.

Has the Mavs ever had a player in the top ten in two **major** statistical categories?

Dirk is top ten in points and rebounds.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2002, 07:04 PM   #6
grbh
Platinum Member

grbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to all

I checked and it was more recent than I thought.
95-96 Season Popeye jones 10.8 Rb

http://www.genevaschools.org/austinb...gray/platypus/
grbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2002, 07:09 PM   #7
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

that's kinda what i was thinking...i knew popeye jones had been close to the 10 board mark..thanks grbh
Old 02-25-2002, 09:41 PM   #8
Murphy3
Guru

Nowitzki reigns on backboard

mavericks notes
By KEVIN LYONS
Star-Telegram Staff Writer

DALLAS - It was not that long ago that the Mavericks lamented their lack of rebounding. But in the past two games, Dirk Nowitzki has gone where no Maverick has gone before,not Roy Tarpley, James Donaldson, or even Dennis Rodman.

Nowitzki's 23 rebounds against Boston on Thursday and 21 rebounds against Sacramento on Saturday is the first time a Mavericks player has recorded 20 or more rebounds in back-to-back games.

"I'm not doing anything different," Nowitzki said. "I just feel like I can get every missed shot, and fortunately, I've grabbed a lot lately."

From the beginning of the season to Feb. 13, Nowitzki averaged 9.6 rebounds per game. In the five games since, Nowitzki is averaging 15.6 rebounds in his past five games. That is the biggest improvement in the league by any player.

Over the same five-game span, the Mavericks have averaged 46.2 rebounds per game, second most in the league to Portland's 48. Among the bottom-dwellers in rebounding for much of the season, the Mavericks are now 18th.

Nowitzki's latest efforts have made him one of only eight players in the NBA who average at least 10 rebounds a game. Hanging around the mid 9's for much of the season, Nowitzki now averages 10.1 rebounds per game. If he keeps this pace, Nowitzki would become the first Mavericks player to average double figures in rebounds since Popeye Jones (10.6) in 1994-95.

"There are some balls that, during his first or second year, he wouldn't go after," Mavericks coach Don Nelson said. "Now, he thinks he can get every one."

Nowitzki has not surrendered his scoring for rebounding. Against Boston, he started at center and had 33 points on 12-of-23 shooting. Against Sacramento, in his natural power forward position, he scored 26 points on 8-of-16 shooting.

Add it all up, and it is another club record for Nowitzki. He is the first Mavericks player to put together back-to-back games of at least 20 points and 20 rebounds. Tarpley was the last Mavericks player to come close to such a roll, putting up two 20-point, 20-rebound performances over three games in the 1987-88 season.

Inside basketball

The lineup of the Mavericks' Big Three (Steve Nash, Dirk Nowitzki, Michael Finley) played with Nick Van Exel and Raef LaFrentz a total of 5 minutes, 21 seconds - 3:17 of the second quarter, and 2:04 of the fourth quarter. In that span, the lineup outscored the Kings 16-12.

"It's nice to know that we have really improved ourselves," Don Nelson said. "You can see we have the pieces in place that we didn't have before. We'll get better and better as the season goes along."

Howard on the trade

Juwan Howard, who was with the Mavericks for one year, expressed no bitterness over being dealt to the Denver Nuggets last week.

"When we were flying over here to Portland [for a Nuggets-Trail Blazers game on Saturday], I was like, 'Wow.' I woke up from my nap and said, 'It really happened,' " Howard told the Denver media. His fiancee and baby son are still in Dallas. "I know that this is the nature of the business. Can't do nothing about it. Now I roll up my sleeves and go to war for the Denver Nuggets, a team that is looking to rebuild."

Tim Hardaway, who had said he was stung by the deal, watched the new Mavericks play against the Kings.

"I just watched those guys fit into our shoes," Hardaway said. "We could've done the same thing. But, you know, stuff happens for a reason. Juwan, myself and 'D-Harv' [ Donnell Harvey] are good guys, hard workers and everything. We will be rewarded for not being [jerks] by coming out here, doing our job and playing hard.

"It is kind of hard being on the other side of the fence," Hardaway said. "But you just have to deal with it. Turn it into a positive."

In their debuts with the Nuggets, both started in a 101-90 loss to Portland. Hardaway had 11 points and five assists in 26 minutes. Howard had 16 points, six rebounds, and four assists. Harvey came off the bench for three points, four assists, and five rebounds.
Old 02-25-2002, 09:53 PM   #9
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

<< 'Wow.' I woke up from my nap and said, 'It really happened,'&quot; >>

If I was Howard, I would have gone back to sleep. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Old 02-26-2002, 02:59 AM   #10
Epitome22
Golden Member

Epitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the rough

huh?
Epitome22 is offline   Reply With Quote