Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 02-25-2002, 10:44 AM   #1
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

While I've been out of Texas for about five years, I've read Randy Galloway's coverage of the Dallas sports scene for at least 15 years. He's always had one of the best, most insightful perspectives--doesn't buy into the BSers, cuts through to what's really going on.

So does anybody have any idea why his coverage of the Mavs is so sparse and infrequent? He did post a couple of columns about The Big Trade, but that was one of the national headlines in sports for a couple of days--he could hardly have ignored it.

He has always seemed to respect Nellie, and gives Cuban as much good ink as anyone else, but is there some animosity toward him from the club that limits his access? A dispute between the Star-Telegram and the Mavericks? Some offshoot of the rivalary between the Star-Telegram and the DMN, and the fact that until recently the DMN owned a chunk of the Mavs?

For that matter, does anyone have any backstory on Galloway's move from the DMN to the Star-Telegram a few years back? I was out of the Dallas area and didn't even realize that Galloway had made the move for a long time--just noticed one day that I hadn't seen his columns in the DMN, started looking for him and found out he'd up and moved. I've always had a funny feeling that there was more to the story there what with Sherrod and Luska on the staff of the DMN--too many stars?

Anybody on this board know anything about any of this?
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-2002, 11:12 AM   #2
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Galloway's move was all about money. I believe that he became the highest paid sportswriter in DFW with the move to the Star Telegram. As for him not writing about the Mavs, well, Randy prefers to do stories about bad teams. That way he can give lots of advice. Randy barely covered the Cowboys when they were real good and the Stars were the same way.

BTW, Randy is one of my favorite writers in the business.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2002, 12:48 PM   #3
TwoDeep3

TwoDeep3 will become famous soon enoughTwoDeep3 will become famous soon enough

I believe Galloway can string words together as well as anyone in the business. But that is where the line is drawn for me.

His cut through the BS ended for me when he made the comment about a sports figure in Dallas that had a problem with his article "I was here before he came and will be here after he leaves."

That sums up Mr. Shalloway's thoughts, in my opinion.

He is more important.

Yet he has been wrong so many times about so many issues and continues to operate as if he understand sports better than the people that are making the decisions.

I started reading him in the early 80's. I stopped several years before he left the DMN.

His act is ridicule now. And that's sad.
Old 02-25-2002, 06:45 PM   #4
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

i listened to galloway on a daily basis..starting at age 12 or so.. i read his articles and everything..i was a huge fan of his until about 5-6 years ago or so.
he reminds me of a random former drunk announcer for the cubs..
he was once greatness but i really can't stand to listen to the guy anymore.. i listen to the freaking hot spot before i listen to him. He simply rambles on and on, grandpa urine does...

like i said,..he used to be my favorite..but it has been several years since i've read an article by him...and i haven't caught more than 7-8 hours of his show on the radio over the past...5-6 years
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2002, 01:40 PM   #5
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Woo-hoo. Now we can listen to web-streaming Randy again in NYC and beyond.

More Mavs, Galloway!

WBAP Audio Returns Thursday
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote