Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 02-27-2002, 11:13 AM   #1
TheKid
Diamond Member

TheKid is on a distinguished road

I know it was just the Grizzlies lastnight but this team is going to be something special. We probably have the deepest bench in the NBA right now. Also we have the most talented team by far in the league right now as well, including the Lakers.

Lastnight I felt so bad for Buford who got back on a defensive fast break and he had Dirk LEADING the break with LaFrentz on one side, Fin on the other and Nash was the trailor. That had to be scary and what impressed me the most was our ONE seven footer who was leading the break dished to the other seven footer for the dunk! HOW MANY TEAMS can say that?

The only thing that I think needs to happen is Nellie needs to get a solid rotation for the playoffs and system so everyone should expect a certain amount of minutes so they know when they're going to get in the game and give their input. That's the toughest part with such a talented team it's almost like Portland was two years ago, except it seems we have a better group of guys.

One last thing, I saw Raef on two occassions get off the floor so quick for a rebound it made me SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO freakin happy. That's what Juwan couldn't do, get some rebounds. We have a pretty damn good team!
Old 02-27-2002, 11:47 AM   #2
grbh
Platinum Member

grbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to all

I can't agree more Kid. I know it has only been 2 games, but there really seems to be a great flow in the offense right now. This team could always push the ball with the best but substituting LaFrentz, and NVE for Howard, and Hardaway helps that much more. We are the UNLV, Loyola Marymount of the NBA and I love it.

Interesting stat from last night
Fast Break Points
Dallas 31
Memphis 0

http://www.genevaschools.org/austinb...gray/platypus/
grbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2002, 12:12 PM   #3
TheKid
Diamond Member

TheKid is on a distinguished road

I'll tell you one thing that did bother me with lastnight's game was the commentators. They were saying how we need to do something to put this game away. At the time we were up by 20 points. Well, the thing that bothers me with that is the expectations with this team seem to have gone extremely high. We have a 20 point lead in the fourth quarter and commentators are saying we need to deliver a knock out blow. Well last time I checked, a 20 point lead was a knock out blow, in my opinion it is.
Old 02-27-2002, 12:28 PM   #4
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

in the 4th quarter against the grizzlies..yes, 20 points is a knock out blow.

someone needs to deliver a knockout blow to the mavs announcers.
put them out of our misery
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2002, 12:42 PM   #5
threadkilla

threadkilla is on a distinguished road

I was able to attend the game last night. I thought it was interesting that Nellie's first sub was Esch for I think Dirk. So it was Raef and Esch in the first half. Then in the second he had Dirk and Esch out there together. We will need to get Eschmeyer some minutes before the playoffs he could be useful especially when you can pair him with a more offensive minded 7 footer like Raef or Dirk. In the second half A Johnson got some pt with Van Exel on the floor also. He still can run an offense, and could be a valuable asset in the post season as well.

This team is deep and can throw alot of lineups at you. That will be big in the playoffs. I can't wait until then.
threadkilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2002, 01:06 PM   #6
grbh
Platinum Member

grbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to all

Threadkilla, I did not go to the game last night but it seemed like the crowd was sitting on their hands. I know we were playing the Grizzlies, but I still thought with the new additions the crowd would be more excited. It could have been the mics though. Did anyone else noticed how messed up the sound was for the game last night? I could barely hear Bob O, and Matt Pinto (maybe not a bad thing), and everytime someone made a basket the swoosh was real loud.

Old 02-27-2002, 01:08 PM   #7
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

The game against the Grizzlies looked like a cross between a get-acquainted-with-your-new-teammates mixer and a scrimmage.

Nellie has a job cut out for himself in trying to get everyone involved, assess what contributions new and old players can make, establish a rotation, AND finish the division/conference race without losing ground.

Schedule looks tailor-made for them to do this--five of six games at home against relatively non-threatening teams. Hope they can develop some cohesivenes AND put a good win streak together before the schedule toughens up in mid-March. <No slip-ups, lads.>

But a good win.

Two things about the announcers:

1)probably too early to look for evidence of a killer instinct from this new-mix club, but pushing a 20-point lead to 30 would've been an interesting thing to talk about

2) they have to try to hold on to viewers, and talking about how Griz were hanging in is just typical broadcaster reverse-speak for "Please don't adjust your set."

MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2002, 01:19 PM   #8
threadkilla

threadkilla is on a distinguished road

The jury is still out on the new arena as far as I am concerned. I have been to two games this year and both weren't very good games. The seattle game where Boothe had a gazillion points and last night, so I don't want to judge just yet. But, both times the crowd seemed dead. You could hear what people were talking about two and three rows away. It is a nice building, maybe I just need to see a game where the crowd is into it. I do like the mikes on the baskets. Once last night someone went up for a dunk and said "damn". It was very loud. Pretty funny.
threadkilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2002, 03:42 PM   #9
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

Last night's game reminded me of the Cowboy games of the early '90s. The Cowboys in 92-93 were so much more talented than everybody else, they never mixed up the game plan; they never ran trick plays; they did the same thing every week. They challenged their opponent to stop them. More often than not, the other team failed, even though it knew exactly what play would be called.

I know it was only the Griz, but I bet we can do that to a lot of teams.

I imagine this is what it is like to be a Laker fan the last couple of years. Or a Yankee fan.

But last night, we were so much better. Our 10th man was better than their 5th man. We just rolled. The only things that kept me interested were the substitutions. What would we throw at them next?

We are like the tide, or the wind. We are fast becoming a force of nature.

But then, that is what Shaq is. So we are still screwed. But we'll see.

Movie quote of the day:
Like Agent Smith said, "Do you hear that? That is the sound of inevitability."
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2002, 05:58 PM   #10
grbh
Platinum Member

Good analogy. Everything looked so easy last night for the Mavs. I am not trying to complain, but it didn't even look like they were trying that hard. It makes you wonder if this is what happens to the Lakers. With several losses to bad teams this year they come in coasting, and then have a bad shooting night. All of a sudden it is a close in the 4th and the game is up for grabs.
I hope that does not start with the Mavs. I don't think it will, but during a long season it is easy to get caught sleeping a couple times.