Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 02-27-2002, 11:34 AM   #1
TheKid
Diamond Member

TheKid is on a distinguished road

By Mike Fisher -- DallasBasketball.com

Mario Elie won three different NBA Finals rings with two different Texas teams after starting his career with Don Nelson’s Warriors, and the former NBA standout seems half-serious when he says he wishes he could make a comeback and play for Dallas and totally serious when he says the Mavs are capable of winning a title this year.

Our Q&A with Mario Elie, in which he explains how Nellie has changed, how the Mavs have developed a style that seems familiar to him, and tells it like he thinks it is about everybody from Michael Finley to Peter Vescey:
DB.com: With three NBA Finals rings from two different teams, the Rockets twice and then the Spurs, you must be some sort of NBA lucky rabbit’s foot.
Elie: “Yup. I’m just waiting for Nellie to give me a call so I can make it a Texas threesome. I’m available! I played with Nellie, and I love him, and I had fun with him. So a fourth title with a third team would be, for me, like, ‘fourth time’s a charm.’’’
DB.com: Now that you are permanently retired, can you reflect on your greatest moment?
Elie: “The benefit of being a veteran who knows how to win. When the Spurs won it, Sean Elliott had the ball at the end of the game. All the guys were so happy that they ran to hug each other. Me, I’m the only smart guy. I went after the ball, grabbed it, then hugged the guys! That’s championship experience.’’
DB.com: You’ve stayed in shape, but there are some gray hairs in the beard, and your head would be bald even if you didn’t shave it, right?
Elie: “Age is just a number, man. You see Michael Jordan out there. He’s keeping things going for old, bald guys. Of course, Patrick Ewing is still out there, too, making the old guys look bad.’’
DB.com: How reminiscent of your old Warriors teams are these Mavericks?
Elie: “That’s just like ‘Run TMC,’ where we’re out there scoring 118 a game and having a good time.’’
DB.com: Can you win a championship with that style?
Elie: “Nellie definitely likes that style. When we played San Antonio in the first round the first time we made the playoffs, I was the 4 man. I was guarding Terry Cummings in the first round, and then James Worthy (of the Lakers) in the second round. I was 6-4, 220. ... But now he’s got 7-footers who can shoot from the outside. Drive, kick and shoot the 3. That’s the Mavs’ style.
“But it’s kind of a waste of Shawn Bradley and Evan Eschmeyer! Whatever happened to those guys? Shawn Bradley can’t even get off the bench! He’s the tallest cheerleader in history! What a waste of height.’’
DB.com: Where do you rank Nellie as a coach?
Elie: “He is a very good coach, and I learned a lot from him. And he learned a lot, I think, from situations with C-Webb, with Sprewell, with New York. I had problems with Nellie, also. Nellie is a players’ coach now. But he used to be hard on guys. He once came out and told Victor Alexander that the reason he wasn’t playing was that he was too fat – right in front of guys! I’m from New York, so I don’t take real well to guys busting on me. Now I know he was just trying to make me a better player, and that I was probably a knucklehead. But I think Nellie has changed, too.’’
DB.com: Your thoughts on Mark Cuban?
Elie: “He’s created a nice comfort zone. Who wouldn’t love to play for him? I never had a DVD player. The owners I had would barely feed you! In Houston, oh my God, they’d put old grapes and ugly bananas in out lockers. Old grapes and ugly bananas that you couldn’t even eat! … I do with, though, that he’d start to move in the background now. Let the players get the glory and just sit back and enjoy it.’’
DB.com: Where do the Lakers figure now?
Elie: “This is not the same Lakers team. Shaq is hurt, Samaki Walker is a little banged up, the whole team in banged up. I don’t see them making it. I see Dallas and I see Sacramento. Now, if Dallas goes cold, they’re done. But if they shoot like they can, nobody can beat them.’’
DB.com: What did you think about the Finley trade rumors?
Elie: “Ridiculous. That team has two great All-Stars, and if Fin was healthy, all three of them might have made it. Finley is a great player. Short-term, they were good without him. But in the long haul, if you want to get to the Finals, Fin is necessary. He’s got an inside game, an outside game, he fits what Nellie likes.’’
DB.com: You’re so in the Mavs’ corner now that you even love the new uniforms, huh?
Elie: “Love the Mavs uniforms and love the Lakers uniforms. Hate the Rockets uniforms. I wish they’d go back to the old style, keep the blue, but get rid of the pinstripes. And they’re not subtle pinstripes, either. If I ever have children, I wouldn’t ever let my kid buy a Rockets jersey, just for that reason.’’
DB.com: Have you enjoyed the TV work you’ve done with TNT?
Elie: “A wonderful experience. I got to hang out with Kenny Smith, who I played with for five years and won two championships with. We were like brothers, just kickin’ it. Charles Barkley wasn’t there, otherwise we could have gone at it with him. I had to settle for Peter Vescey, who is an idiot, also.’’

Old 02-27-2002, 12:10 PM   #2
The Crippler
Diamond Member

The Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant future

no thanks. We already have elie with j. newman.
"I say 'Hey Lama, how about a little something ya know', for the effort?' And he says 'oh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed you will receive total consciousness.' So I got that going for me...which is nice."
The Crippler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2002, 01:52 PM   #3
Hales233
Golden Member

Hales233 is on a distinguished road

I'd love to have Mario on our team...he is one of the best clutch shooters in NBA History (remeber Phoenix-Houston Game 7 in '95?? the "kiss of death shot&quot.....but, I'm not sure we have room for him at the current time.

Man, he really ripped into Ewing and Vescey, that was hilarious [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img].
Old 02-27-2002, 04:36 PM   #4
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Elie deserves some kind of token offer just for the Vecsey rip alone. What a great line!

Doc
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2002, 10:03 PM   #5
Hales233
Golden Member

anyone else have an opinion on signing Mario?
Old 02-27-2002, 10:11 PM   #6
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Great guy, great attitude, no role on this team.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2002, 10:15 PM   #7
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

I agree MFFL. Theres no spot for him.

Website - www.thegamesector.com
Hell bent 100% Texan 'til I die.
LonestarROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2002, 11:45 PM   #8
OzDirkFan

OzDirkFan is on a distinguished road

Ellie's a great guy and could be a great addition to the Mavs. I agree with you all, there's just no place for him with our current roster. Solution? Make him one of our assistant coaches. With his experience and his passion, he could be an inspiration for the whole Maverick team who could at times look like they lack the determinationa nd mental toughness to win. My 2 cents...
Old 02-28-2002, 12:42 AM   #9
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

Good call Oz, make him an assistant coach or something.

I'd love to have him too, but simply no room. Maybe this summer? It all depends if they want to keep Newman on another year or try Ellie?
Old 02-28-2002, 09:31 AM   #10
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

I like Elie. Always did, no matter who he was playing for.

But I don't think he replaces Newman. Newman keeps himself in incredible shape, and Elie's been off for a year. Would be hard for Elie to catch/match Newmann in terms of conditioning and game readiness, given their <ahem> advanced ages.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2002, 11:24 AM   #11
Hales233
Golden Member

I like the idea of making Elie an assistant coach [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img].