Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 02-27-2002, 10:32 AM   #1
grbh
Platinum Member

grbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to all

I am curious to get some opinions on this. I think almost everyone would like to move Bradley, and I have heard rumblings of Bradley for Ostertag in the past. We could make that trade if we threw in someone else for salary purposes maybe a Manning.

Utah gets rid of Ostertag who they don't like, and get Bradley who is everyone's favorite Morman.

The advantage for the Mavs is that Ostertag contract is up at the end of next year. His salary for 02-03 is about 7.5 Million, and there are a lot of teams looking to get cap room to play in the solid class of free agents that summer. With the new TV contract done it looks as if the cap will not grow as quickly as anticipated. This leaves a lot of teams who were looking to clear 10-12 Million with only 6-8 Million. If they want to play then they need to clear more space. Come trade deadline next year Ostertag could be a nice assett to have.

http://www.genevaschools.org/austinb...gray/platypus/
grbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-2002, 11:05 AM   #2
TheKid
Diamond Member

TheKid is on a distinguished road

I would do that, not to mention right now Ostertag gives you the same thing Bradley is right now, NOTHING!!! They're both at the end of the bench and they're getting no time. So the difference is contracts, Ostertags is up in one year and Bradley's goes for another five, so I would take that.
Old 02-27-2002, 11:16 AM   #3
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

This move has some kind of intuitive appeal on the surface--native son for native son.

But even there, why? Is Bradley even all that popular in Utah? SB has never seemed all that eager to get back to Utah--has he? And is Ostertag all that popular in DFW?

Manning left the Jazz for the Mavs--is he valuable enough that Sloan would want him back? Not likely. Danny's within sight of the finish line in terms of his playing career.

What would the oncourt objective of this trade be? How does it strengthen either club? Neither SB nor GO is contributing enough to either team anymore to think that either one would make a difference? One 12th man with attitude problems for another? What's the point?

And contract-wise, the deal looks far more advantageous to the Mavs than to the Jazz, so why would they assume SB's contract?

Also, even though the Mavs just went against the time-honored tradition of not trading within the division with the Denver trade, this deal would only make sense for either club if Dalls and Utah didn't see each other as a close competitive rival. And I guess that depends on the perspective of the clubs in the offseason.

Seems like an improbable deal.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2002, 11:44 AM   #4
grbh
Platinum Member

grbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to all

Yea, I don't know if Utah would be interested, but from what I have read Bradley still has some value in this league as a player. I guess people are slow to give up on you if you are 7'6'. Granted Ostertag is a stiff, but his salary of 7.5 Mill makes him very tradeable.
As far as Utah viewing Dallas as a rival that is a good point. They may, but they shouldn't. Dallas has clearly surpassed the Jazz, and the Jazz are not getting any younger. Personally I think it is time to blow up the Jazz. Trade Malone, Stockton, and Russell. Obviously Malone and Stockton have no trades, but if it were the right team I think they would be willing to move on. I think for the long term the Jazz's only hope is to stockpile draft picks, and create an atmosphere similar to the Clippers. I just don't see them landing any free agents in Salt Lake. Imagine you are a 25 year old basketball player making 10 million a year, would you want move to Salt Lake?

Old 02-27-2002, 12:48 PM   #5
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

I'm neither 25 nor pulling down $10M/year, but still in the last year I rejected an overture from SLC.
Old 02-27-2002, 01:01 PM   #6
grbh
Platinum Member

LOL. Yea me neither, I'm 26 and only pulling abour 5 Mill a year.

Allright you've got me. I am 26 and unemployed.

Still don't want to move to Salt Lake though

Old 02-27-2002, 01:43 PM   #7
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

There's a couple reasons why Utah would consider this trade.

1. Sloan and Ostertag DO NOT get along. It's been going on a while now too. Just recently they suspended him for bumping into Sloan. And last night against the Kings, Ostertag and Malone got into it over an errant pass by Ostertag.

2. Although Bradley's contract goes on for another 5 years, it's friendly enough money wise. It's not like Utah would be taking on loads of money.

3. It's pretty much a given that Utah doesn't resign Ostertag and I imagine he wants out as much as they want him out. I also doubt he does a sign-and-trade with them. He may not get a lot of money, but he'll go elsewhere for lesser money.

It's true it's probably more beneficial for us since Ostertag would be in his last year, but at least, Utah would be getting a decent (cough, cough) center to go along with Collins and Amaechi.

And if Malone and/or Stockton don't return, Utah would have it's center and could focus on filling in one or both of those guys position.

But, I think Nelson and Cuban don't make a major trade, at least not before next February. Nelson has his dream lineup and cast of role players and Im sure they stick with it until February. And depending on how it's working, whether or not they change things.

But, I do believe they do their best to sever ties with Bradley before Eschmeyer or anyone else. Eschmeyer at least tries out there and looks as if he wants to play. That can't be said for Bradley.

And if Utah were absolutely not interested, I'd look hard at Charlotte and if they would part with Jamaal Magloire. They were also interested in Buckner, maybe those two guys (if Buckner agrees to sign-and-trade) for Magloire and is there anyone else we'd like? Think reasonable.
Old 02-27-2002, 02:21 PM   #8
jacktruth
Golden Member

jacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud of

Do you ever go to a game and hear the great commentary. . .

Bradley is worth $4 per year just for the jokes.

JT
jacktruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2002, 03:25 PM   #9
mick

mick is on a distinguished road

I proposed this trade a few weeks ago on another board and brought it up here right before the trade dealine, so I obviously think it has merit.

Another reason that Utah would do it, they don't have a lot of success bringing in FAs, esepcially if Malone and Stockton are about gone.

Another reason for Mavs, more bulk for the middle as a change of pace.

Do it on draft night, then we have time to move Tag on to somewhere else before season gets started if he doesn't look like he will fit here. He probably would have more trade value than Bradley because of his shortter term contract.
mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2002, 03:25 PM   #10
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

seelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to all

Hey, I want to keep Bradley aswell, if only to throw him in to get Shaq trying to throw a punch upwards [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 02-27-2002, 03:37 PM   #11
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

This is ridiculous talk. Even if Ostertag and Bradley were comparable players (which they aren't, Bradley is much more valuable), why would the Mavs do this trade? Ostertag wouldn't get a minute more playing time for the Mavs than Bradley is. He'd waste away on the bench just like Shawn. At least Shawn has the potential to come in and change the pace of the game if given a chance. Remember, this is the same guy that posted a 22 point 22 rebound, 13 block game, and is the only player in NBA history to score back-to-back 10 block games. Trust me, Nelson can find a way to use this guy. Ostertag, while a decent shotblocker and rebounder, really isn't in the same class as Bradley in either category. In addition, Shawn's salary is very cap friendly despite the remaining years. I think the Mavs may even have an option on the last three. He's bound to have a ton of trade value. To give him up for IR fodder like Ostertag is foolish.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2002, 04:10 PM   #12
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

Hoopsmeister has a spectacular aura aboutHoopsmeister has a spectacular aura about

I agree with Madape--not because I like Bradley, I think he deserves to be beaten with sticks for his so-called play this year, but because Ostertag is even worse. Yes, his contract ends sooner but as Madape says Bradley is 7'6" and has a very cap-friendly contract. Given his play he's not worth much, but he's still worth more than Ostertag in trade value.

Added to that, Bradley has the capability to help this team. If Ostertag was interested in playing (not a given), he would be a marginal upgrade on Esch. If Bradley was interested in playing, he could be another major plus.

Not to mention that I still really, really want to see the line-up--

C-Bradley
PF-Esch
SF-Wang
SG-LaFrentz
PG-Dirk

They would have to run nothing but zone on D, but still . . .
Corollary #1: If you put the ball through the hoop more than the other guy, you win.
Corollary #2: If you can't do that, get off the floor.
Hoopsmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2002, 05:53 PM   #13
grbh
Platinum Member

Hoopmaster, I agree with you on that lineup. I pray we see it by the end of the year. I also agree that Ostertag is worthless, but woth the position the Mavs are in they can create value for him.
Utah would be very willing to part with him in a trade, but not for a contract like say Tariq's, because they need value. As bad a Bradley is his contract isn't bad.
With the Mavs Ostertag would likely spend the year on IR, but come the trade deadline if Cuban was willing to take a slightly overpaid player they might be able to bring someone decent for him. Bradley would not have that type of trade value at the deadline, because of he length of contract.
It is just a thought, but I am desparate to get rid of Bradley. He is a waste of space, and I think his work ethic has caused him to be despised by everyone on this team from coaches to players. I will miss his comedy though. The spill he took about a week ago checking into a game was classic Bradley.

Old 02-28-2002, 11:52 AM   #14
grbh
Platinum Member

I am starting to think the Jazz will be desparate to move him in the off season.

Ostertag and Sloan Clash

Old 02-28-2002, 12:10 PM   #15
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

Still..

All the more reason to ask why the Mavs want him?