Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 02-25-2002, 10:02 PM   #1
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

CONSUMER ALERT

NBA Audio League Pass--STRONGLY NOT RECOMMENDED

I did a one-month subscription starting on January 5. I was initially very enthusiastic about this service and talked it up to a number of fellow NBA fans. The problems only started when I actually tried to USE the service. The server links constantly broke down for me, which meant several 2-3 minute interruptions to close out the old link and re-establish a new one. This would happen on average 12-15 times per webcast. I tried to listen to parts of maybe 20 broadcasts over the month of January, and I NEVER had an interruption-free game. I attempted to get technical support a couple of times, but was never able to get anything more than a pass-off from one entity to another (RealOne to Yahoo.com to Broadcast.com).

As February 5th approached, I was bombarded with e-mails (five arriving simultaneously at one point) reminding me that my subscription was due to expire. Even at only $10/month, I had already determined that the product really wasn't worth the trouble and that this venture really didn't have the kinks worked out yet.

But the clincher came as I was listening to what was probably the most exciting game of the season so far--the Mavericks-Pacers 141-140 overtime thriller. Even more than usual, the connections failed (about 30 times maybe?). But finally, with 8 seconds left and the Mavericks setting up for the winning shot, the connection terminated and I received a notice advising that my subscription had expired. The subscription had been timed TO THE BLOODY HOUR, rather than to the day, but nowhere in the order confirimation or any of the renewal reminders was this mentioned.

My e-mail query advising them of the unfortunate happening and providing their customer service department with the perfect opportunity to appease a dissatisfied first-time subscriber (refund my $10?; extend my subscription free for one-month? 15 days?) generated the following response:

"You have purchased a month subscription to the NBA Audio League Pass. ...This monthly purchase will end at exactly 1 month after the date of your original subscription, which appears to be what happened. We apologize for this not being communicated from the beginning.

As for the other issues that you have incurred with your Real One Player, unfortunately that is out of our realm of support. We do not support the Real Products, but support and manage the Audio League Pass and help troubleshoot the streaming piece for the NBA.

Thanks!

Customer Service"

I can live with technological glitches, and decide whether or not to continue the subscription based on my experience.

But this kind of non-response from whatever passes for customer service at NBA Audio League Pass harkens to the days of fly-by-night ISPs who would go out of business overnight without notice or accommodation whatsoever, let alone a refund.

It's amazing how little customer relations foresight these companies have, and how little sense they have of how much ill-will and negative buzz they can generate with $10 worth of poor service.

I sooo look forward to the day when ventures like this can succeed, rather than just suck seed.

MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-2002, 12:14 AM   #2
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the tip. I have often been tempted to subscribe.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2002, 12:56 AM   #3
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Additional comment from an equally satisfied customer:

"I definitely concur, kiki. I have sent many emails to the NBA regarding the lack of customer service on audio league pass. I have had 3 games where the links were wrong (linked to a radio station that was not airing the game). There is no option for help, either by email or phone. It's expensive enough that they should be willing to accept feedback. There was one day that I received 18 identical emails telling me my month pass had expired. I also have a personal beef because I already pay $179.00 for the tv league pass, and I don't think I should have to pay for audio league pass for the games that tv league pass doesn't air. It's not my fault the Clipper lost their tv deal. Sheesh.

This is all very typical of NBA marketing. It's awful. They were sold out of Lamar and Darius Clipper jerseys for all of the second half of last season, through the summer, and the first half of this season. They just got them in now, but all the people who were going to snatch up the Lamar jerseys won't now, because who knows if he'll be re-signed? It's just plain bad business. They're too busy running around measuring players' shorts to market the game correctly."

Old 02-26-2002, 02:08 AM   #4
grbh
Platinum Member

grbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to all

This is non audio pass related but a similar thing happened to me on the night of the Pacers game. It was the night we had the snow in Dallas, and with about 4 minutes left in the game the power went out. I ended up listening to the rest of the game while sitting in my car. Damn TXU

http://www.genevaschools.org/austinb...gray/platypus/
grbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2002, 12:17 AM   #5
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

NBA.com simultaneously reports the following:

Mavericks 125, Grizzlies 118

Grizzlies 21 22 25 23 91
Mavericks 34 24 26 20 104

Shouldn't Cuban be selling them some technology or something?