Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 03-18-2002, 06:45 PM   #1
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

job hunting really sucks.
i'm a recent graduate from UNT and i have several years of solid work experience in business/accounting.

well, i've been working full time for the past several years.. had to leave a really good job in october because they needed me to transfer to amarillo...well, i had 8 weeks of school so that wasn't feasible. So, i took a job just to tie me over financially until i could find something else...it pays pretty good but really sucks..very boring job.

well, i've been on several interviews lately and was offered a job today that pays really well... at least for just out of college about $40k or so and i can go to grad school with a very friendly schedule.

just not sure what to do..i'm not sure if it's necessarily a step up from the last job i had in october...it's a slight step up in pay but, i'm not sure how working at this job will affect my future job hunting.. whether it's a job that will look good on a resume or not... and whether or not it will advance my skills and abilities.

it's very frustrating

just curious if anyone else was job hunting and going through similar a situation
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-2002, 07:03 PM   #2
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

I'm graduating in May, and I just got a job with IBM in Southlake. I have a CS degree, and out of tons of friends with CS degrees from A&M, and business degrees from A&M and other places, I only know one other person graduating in May who actually has a job right now. Supposedly the job market is just pitiful (although while I was interviewing, I refused to believe it and it worked for me...)

Just my two cents Murph, would be that even if this new job isn't a step up from the one you had in October, you don't have the October job anymore... so if you're still wanting to just tide yourself over until something better comes along, then you might as well take the extra money and easier time going to grad school.

Of course.... grad school is another one of those things I refuse to believe in. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2002, 07:10 PM   #3
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

My advice is that at this point in your career, you really shouldn't be concentrating on salary. The more important thing to consider is if what you are doing is going to help you achieve your long term career goals. People in the tech industry change jobs on the average of about once a year... so the probability that you will stay where you are for the rest of your life are extremely slim. I have several friends I graduated with that took big bucks from the telecom companies during the boom. Now they are left with no job, and relatively little transferable skills.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2002, 08:14 PM   #4
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

it's a tough decision.. it would be pretty good experience for me.. but it's a bit different than all of my work experience. well, being diverse is good, however, i don't want to be so diverse with my work history that i don't get enough experience at anything..just some experience at everything.

hmmm..well, i have three interviews tomorrow..i'm sure things will hopefully become a bit clearer tomorrow...
Old 03-18-2002, 08:30 PM   #5
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

murph - good luck in your interviews. If they don't work out, the offer of the new job which allows you to pursue grad school sounds like a winner. A masters degree is a powerful resume line item. Many employers will see that you have what it takes to finish difficult projects. I recommend a thesis route. Real world application of classroom theory presented in thesis form is extremely powerful. The bad news is that it might not get you much in the way of increased salary, but it will get you into the more coveted job interviews. In any case, I would seriously consider your current offer. There is no substitute for work experience. It will serve you well. Best wishes.

Doc
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2002, 08:33 PM   #6
Murphy3
Guru

well, thankfully, i worked full time while going to school full time.. so i have the degree and solid business/accounting work experience.

i honestly think the job market is picking up big time in the dfw area. hell, i'm probably sending out 60-70 resumes a week (the past three weeks) in the dfw area alone to companies that are hiring.
Old 03-19-2002, 01:07 AM   #7
Smiles
Diamond Member

Smiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud of

<< i'm not sure how working at this job will affect my future job hunting.. >>

In this area, how does the current job offered compare to the &quot;boring&quot; one you have now?

How key is grad school in accomplishing what you want out of life? If it's significant, then a good paying job that gives you the freedom to pursue your dream sounds pretty nice.

Do you think you'd enjoy the offered job (how about compared to the current job)?

Why do you question whether the offered job will advance your skills or abilities?

#1 thing to consider: What does your gut tell you?
Old 03-19-2002, 01:09 AM   #8
Murphy3
Guru

my gut usually tells me that i'm hungry..i'm not sure what it's saying now
Old 03-19-2002, 01:31 AM   #9
Smiles
Diamond Member

Smiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud of

LOL [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Funny. Hunger is a good motivator.

Instinct might have been a better word for me to use. How's your sixth sense?

Sometimes things are pretty foggy in that arena. Will they give a couple, few days to decide?
Old 03-19-2002, 01:33 AM   #10
Murphy3
Guru

i don't see dead people
Old 03-19-2002, 01:40 AM   #11
Smiles
Diamond Member

I'm serious here ... at least trying to be. Sometimes, I could strangle you. (that's only a figure of speech)

I'll interview you, we might decide to hire you, you can take over the Shaq accounts, sound good? (sorry, no Shaq accounts in reality)

You would have to be nice though. A smart comment from you, and I'd have to exert some correction. I can't allow you to instigate anarchy!
Old 03-19-2002, 02:16 AM   #12
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

<< hmmm..well, i have three interviews tomorrow..i'm sure things will hopefully become a bit clearer tomorrow... >>

It MIGHT help a bit if you use better grammar than what is present here. LOL, just busting your chops...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]