Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 07-19-2003, 12:42 AM   #1
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

mavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of light
Default Sonics sign ANTONIO DANIELS

Guard Antonio Daniels has signed with the Sonics as a free agent.

The Sonics had been pursuing Daniels after Kevin Ollie signed with the Cleveland Cavaliers earlier this week. The Sonics package is reported to be similar to their final proposal to Ollie-- a three-year contract worth about $6 million with a starting salary of $1.9 million.

Daniels, who played with Portland last season, visited Seattle on July 8 and 9. He had previously visited Orlando, but after the Magic signed Juwan Howard this week, the most Orlando can offer Daniels is a two-year contract with a starting salary of $1.5 million.

Daniels, 28, played four seasons with San Antonio, and though he has never averaged 10 points a season, he hit low ebb when he was lost in Portland's rotation last season. His averages of 13 minutes and 3.7 points were both career lows, as his minutes fluctuated from week to week amid the Blazers' deep roster.

Chosen No. 4 overall in 1997 by Vancouver, Daniels is 6 feet 4, athletic and versatile.

The reputation hung on Daniels has been that he is a "tweener," caught between being a point guard and shooting guard. Daniels had a different view when asked about that in Seattle last week.

"I'm someone who can play both positions," Daniels said. "I'm not real big on saying, 'I'm a (point guard),' or 'I'm a (shooting guard).' "

His athleticism is a big selling point, especially in bolstering the defense. In Seattle he would be the third guard, behind Ray Allen and Brent Barry in a four-player backcourt rotation.

Tony Dutt, Daniels' agent, did not return phone messages yesterday, but the sides are thought to be close to a deal.