Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 12-18-2002, 12:43 AM   #1
OzMavs
Platinum Member

OzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud of

I saw this in the ESPN wrap-up and the game thread. I can't believe a referee would actually say that. Is the ref some kind of "thought police". It disturbs me that the standard seems to drop year after year, even after they drop Dee Kantner.

I'll buy you a drink: HERE

NOW WITH FREE REP WITH EVERY DRINK!!
OzMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-18-2002, 12:52 AM   #2
Super Slow Mo

Super Slow Mo is on a distinguished road

espn reported it but i have a hard time believing the ref said that
Super Slow Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2002, 11:07 AM   #3
Tarzan

Tarzan is on a distinguished road

Raja getting thrown out was absurd. This is just another example of the terrible state of officiating in the NBA. Why was he ejected? Was it because the ref felt he needed to even the score for ejecting Artest? I am outraged by this. I am glad that other teams are following Cuban's lead and protesting the officiating. The refs are out of control. The integrity of the league is compromised. Just because the Mavs are winning now it doesn't make the officiating any better. The refs play way too big of a role in determining the outcome of games. I know that they are human and will occasionally miss calls. However, there is a repeated pattern of favoritism shown to certain teams and players. I also think they take way too much license with interpreting the rules. They go overboard in trying to set the tone in games. The players should set the tone in the games. A foul is a foul, a walk is a walk, etc. The NBA referees need some accountability.
Old 12-18-2002, 02:07 PM   #4
NashFan1341

NashFan1341 is on a distinguished road

<< espn reported it but i have a hard time believing the ref said that >>

Actually Nellie was on the Ticket this morning and stated that's what the ref said. Nellie and Norm came to the assumption that the ref just wanted to prevent anything else from happening, perhaps another Pacer trying to take out Bell which I would not put past them and their thuggish ways. I guess they feel if they don't have the skills to beat us when we're on our game they might as well take some cheap shots.

I like how Nick summed it up though. &quot;We beat the shit out of them.&quot;
NashFan1341 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2002, 02:21 PM   #5
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

<< [i]

<<
I like how Nick summed it up though. &quot;We beat the shit out of them.&quot;
>>

I just heard this on the ticket on Nick's call-in radio show. He actually said this and other choice phrases about 3 times, true greatness.

"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2002, 02:26 PM   #6
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Why do refs let things get so out of control? Players like Artest should only be in the game for as many seconds as it take the refs to blow the whistle 6 times at most. Why do they lets these thugs take cheap shots consitently night in and night out. Artest constantly fouls every minute he's on the court. Then when the refs do call something they penalize the victim equally with the offender? Oh its to protect the vendor. IMO that's just another way of saying the refs do not control the game. You should never have to eject a player to protect him from other players. Eject the ones who will start it. If the refs have to throw the whole team out and have them forfeit the game, so be it. They will change their style of play. If they don't suspend them without pay. I guarrantee you they won't keep doing it once their paychecks stop coming.

I love watching basketball. However I'm not a big fan of professional wrestling. The NBA should not become a professional fight club. That ref that threw Raja out should just be fired. He obviously can't do his job. I bet he couldn't manage a Dairy Queen either.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-18-2002, 04:49 PM   #7
MavsManiac

MavsManiac is on a distinguished road

Truth is, Artest should not have even been in the game at that point.

After getting his first T, and going to the bench, rather than sit with the team, he plopped down at the base of the backboard. All the refs did was &quot;shoo&quot; him away, when they should have tossed his thug-self outta the game!

Shoot... Cuban would be fined $1 Billion for sitting where Artest sat...

It's terrible the lack of control or self-control the refs had last nite... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Anyone else see the ref throw the ball at Nellie??? INSANE!! Why can't we give him a T &amp; toss him? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Old 12-18-2002, 05:09 PM   #8
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Maybe for the next time we play Indy (maybe in June?), let's get Mike Tyson to be a special referee like they do in wrestling. Could he be much worse than the zebra's they stuck us with? David Stern and Ed Rush need to bend over, grab a hold of there ears, and yank their heads out of their asses. The NBA is losing credibility really fast now with the poor level of accountability for the refs. Don't wait for total meltdown before they do something. Maybe instead of the Dairy Queen remark Cubes should have said that Ed Rush couldn't find his own ass in the dark with 2 hands and a flashlight.
Old 12-18-2002, 05:40 PM   #9
Super Slow Mo

well if you look at it from another angle you can clearly see raja elbowed the guy, and thats what started it
Old 12-18-2002, 08:40 PM   #10
LRB
Guru

<< well if you look at it from another angle you can clearly see raja elbowed the guy, and thats what started it >>

What angle is that? Staring up Isaiah Thomas' ass? Artest is a thug. He has half a brain if he's lucky when he gets on the court. Hopefully he's just leaving it in his locker. He doesn't play basketball. He fights, pure and simple. If he did this on the street he'd have his ass in jail. Bet he'd fit right in there. There is a huge difference from being tough and being a thug or goon or gangster or moron addicted to violence who refuse to use what few brains God decided to put in side his thick skull. Artest is Mike Tyson in a basketball uniform, only Mike's a lot smarter. He'd make a great goon player in hockey. Maybe that's what he thinks he's playing. Raja is tough, but he's no goon or thug. I never saw this phantom elbow and the ref even said that he was throwing Raja out for no reason. If anyone throws an elbow at Artest, I'm sure its only in retaliation to multiple elbows that RA has thrown. He's a thug and he needs to be run out of the league if he won't or can't change.
Old 12-19-2002, 12:44 AM   #11
Super Slow Mo

the angle from above. after the whistle was blown, artest attempted the layup, and when he came down, there was bells elbow. just watch it as a fan, not with mavs bias
Old 12-19-2002, 01:51 AM   #12
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

Grunt, grunt. Grumble, grumble. Moderator say grow up, shut up or else.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2002, 02:04 AM   #13
LRB
Guru

SuperSloMo The only sources that I have heard that Raja threw an elbow is Artest, Thomas, and you. Every other soure says no. I haven't personally seen it in any of the replays. I wasn't home in time to see it live. But I have seen Artest play in other games. He is the type of player that is bad for the game. I don't think what he does is even for the best for his team even when the refs let him get away with it. Artest shouldn't even have been in the game. He should have been tossed long before that. For sure when he refused to return to the bencn and went and sat under the basket.

Artest is a goon and a cheap shot artist. NBA doesn't need this and should eliminate it. It's bad for the game, it's bad for business, and it's bad entertainment. What he does is illegal, not by the NBA rule book but by the laws passed by the governing bodies in where NBA games are played. Assault is assault. He is just a punk coward hiding behind the game to protect him. What happens when someone retaliates and a brawl ensues. Lots of people could get hurt. Including fans. Physical play is OK, but he goes way beyond that. Unfortuanately David Stern and Eddie Rush don't have a pair of balls between them and refuse to do anything about this type of behavior.

Even if he got hit by an elbow, that's no reason to go off like he did. You go off, you should be thrown out. Period. What is he some kind of super wuss who can't take it. Bullies are just cowards and Artest is a bully. And you can add immature baby to his title. That's not because I'm a Mavs fan. It's because I'm an NBA fan. And I hope and pray that the Mavs never get anyone like him. Right now the Mavs are a class organization. Hate to see that ruined.

The NBA is a skilled game played by people with tremendous atheltic ability. Trouble is that the skill level in the NBA has been getting lower. Wrestling is replacing basketball. People who can shoot the ball are being replaced by athletic idiots who can't shoot well but who can beat people up. There always will be a physical aspect to basket ball but it never should be confused with wrestling or street fighting.

I think the nuggets played a very great and physical game tonight. But they weren't going out to hurt someone or end their carreer. Just good hard playing. That's fine with me. Just leave the thugs out of the league.
Old 12-19-2002, 02:27 AM   #14
Super Slow Mo

all that is fine, thats not the point. the point is, watch the replay. after thomas did, he seen exactly what happened, and that was an elbow gtom bell, how hard is it to look at a replay?
Old 12-19-2002, 02:34 AM   #15
OutletPass
Diamond Member

OutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really nice

Thank you Rhylan.
Old 12-19-2002, 02:42 AM   #16
Super Slow Mo

yes thank you rhylan!
Old 12-19-2002, 08:37 AM   #17
Fidel
Diamond Member

Fidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to behold

Super Slow Mo and his friends. Practicing.
Fidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2002, 09:45 AM   #18
Super Slow Mo

wow, you must have some life, searching for pictures on the internet? i almost laughed at your joke, intil i realized it made no sense like most of your posts. must you go there with me fidel, not really necessary
Old 12-19-2002, 11:33 AM   #19
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts

<< wow, you must have some life, searching for pictures on the internet? i almost laughed at your joke, intil i realized it made no sense like most of your posts. must you go there with me fidel, not really necessary >>

In my oppinion, sometimes one have to have good sense of humor even with the rival; you can laugh with the image, give to your adversary a good comment and continue the arguing. IMO. (I liked the image; it´s funny)
Old 12-19-2002, 12:30 PM   #20
LRB
Guru

<< all that is fine, thats not the point. the point is, watch the replay. after thomas did, he seen exactly what happened, and that was an elbow gtom bell, how hard is it to look at a replay? >>

Look if you saw an elbow, I'll believe you saw one. I just didn't see it myself in any of the replays that I saw.

I also apologize if I got a little or a lot testy. I do not appreciate players who play I feel are taking cheap shots. You and others are certainly entitled to have a different opinion about the same play. Where I see it as a cheap shot, you might just see it as good hard play.

Maybe we can just agree to disagree on this one.
Old 12-19-2002, 01:05 PM   #21
TripleDipping
Diamond Member

TripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud of

Well we all have our opinions but one thing I guess everyone would agree on is: Artest is one dumb-witted, first-class A-hole. Nothing he does seems to amaze me anymore. Kicking a ball during warmup hitting one his assistant couches, throwing a ball into the fans nearly hitting one of them, kicking a ball out of Finley's hands during a dead ball situation, sitting on Yao Ming after Brad Miller clocked a flagrant foul on Yao, then today in an interview Nellie said Artest was goofing off during the national anthem in the Dallas/Pacers game. I would definitely vote for this sorry excuse for spasticity if there's an 'All-star Moron Team' on the ballot.
TripleDipping is offline   Reply With Quote