Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 10-26-2003, 05:03 PM   #121
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Cowboys v. Bucs Game Day Thread

This was a horrible game. Everyone on offense looked bad. The defense was decent, but they could have helped a little by forcing a turnover or two.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-2003, 05:08 PM   #122
QCarFan
Golden Member

QCarFan can only hope to improve
Default RE: Cowboys v. Bucs Game Day Thread

Now now, don't put words into my mouth, if I did not say that don't assume I meant that because I did not.. I never said fire Bill, because he is the main reason we are 5-2 but anyone who watched that entire game knows the playcalling was not up to par today. Even the great ones have have bad play calling days, and this was definitely one of those days for Coach Parcells. The Bucs defense was two steps ahead of him all day long, and on 3rd downs, hell it seemed like they knew each play. The results would definitely support that claim, but oh well get ready for the Skins. Hopefully we get a better effort by all next week as we will need it to beat the Skins or anyone for that matter.
Old 10-26-2003, 06:15 PM   #123
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

I agree. THat playcalling was horrible. They don't have Kelly nor John Lynch and we don't want to go deep with our recievers? I guess I see where Bill is coming from by beating up the defensive line but I just don't think you do that with Richie Anderson as your lead blocker. We were bound to lose a game and i'm glad it came today because we got somewhat of a reality check. I thought the D played pretty well for the time it was left out on the field. Only allowed one td so nothing to be too upset about. I love Rich's game running the ball but the guy can't block for shit. You have got to find Jamar Martin some time in the game where he can block for Hambrick. I think with a guy like Curtis Martin or a Tomlinson you can use a guy like Richie but with our struggling o-line who has been great upt this game I think you need a lead blocker for your running back. I got the impression that these guys knew they would lose the game today. I don't think the Cowboys left everything out on the field and I hope they didn't. Just one game though. Nothing to get carried away with especially knowing what Parcell's is going to do to these guys this week.

On a side note, anyone heard about the Lion's game today? THey only score 1 td but guess who it is from? THats right, Reggie Swinton on a kickoff return. I'm not saying I would chose Swinton over Smith I just thought it was pretty coincidental for Swinton to get a 97 yard kickoff return and Zuriel doesn't even make the trip.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2003, 08:23 PM   #124
QCarFan
Golden Member

couldnt agree more with you, on both notes FFM
Old 10-26-2003, 10:39 PM   #125
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

I understood the rationale of getting the running game going early. But it was clear that we weren;t going to be able to run the ball. Carter's first two passes were short completions, whcih were just as good as running the ball- it kept the defensive linemen rocking back and the secondary inching forward. Parcells should have stuck with that and let the passing game create opportunities for the run, rather than the other way around.

Tampa Bay's defense has made QB's look worse than than they made Quincy look today. Say what you will about Carter's mediocre play this week, but he had a good opportunity to slide on a run to avoid the hit, but he chose to go head first to try and get the first down. That means something. Still, he did resurect a few bad habits, which wasn't good.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2003, 10:53 PM   #126
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

carter wasn't good today.

But, I put the blame more on the conservative play calling of Parcells than on Carter. Parcells should have used the pass to set up the run. The bucs pass defense has been bad this year. What's the cowboys main offensive weapon? Their receivers.

You're exactly right Dooby. Utilize your receivers, running backs, and tight ends on shorter passes that would compensate for the lack of a running game. I was very disappointed with Parcells play calling. In my opinion, he was thoroughly out coached.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2003, 11:07 PM   #127
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

Quote:
Originally posted by: Murphy3
In my opinion, he was thoroughly out coached.
I wouldn't go that far. Grueden has an older, more exerienced, deeper, more talented team and he was playing at home. Despite all the talk about "good coaching being at premium in this league", talent and experience still means something.

Could the playcalling have been better? Sure; I think so. But the game was close till midway through the 4th. One big play and we were in that game. Cundiff makes that kick; whoever falls on that fumble rather than trying to scoop it up and we probable had a 6 or 10 point lead in the first half.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2003, 11:11 PM   #128
OutletPass
Diamond Member

OutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really nice

And why exactly is Parcell's play calling so conservative ?

One guess.
Old 10-26-2003, 11:18 PM   #129
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Dooby..i think parcells was outcoached before the game began. I simply cannot find a reason not to utilize the passing game more.

If you get into passing situations, their defensive lineman are just gonna tee off on you...

I understand why Parcells is doing what he's doing. I just don't agree with it. I know that Parcells is trying to limit the mistakes that the team makes. But, I really think he limited the offense's only chance to be successful today.

And yes, talent means quite a bit. However, I think people constantly underestimate the talent on the cowboys team. Defensively, they are a very talented team with their back 7. Obviously, they need an upgrade or two on the defensive line.

Offensively, the cowboys have some question marks at the TB and QB position. However, on the offensive line, they're at least an average group. TE's and WR's, I'm very pleased with who the Cowboys have.

Perhaps it's unfair to say that Parcells was outcoached. Hell, even bad offensive game plans can be executed effectively

And trust me, I think Parcells has done a hell of a job.
Perhaps I was wrong with my opinions going into the game of how the Cowboys should have attacked them. But, the Bucs were defitely ripe for the picking again today. Hell, I didn't expect the Cowboys to win it. But, I didn't expect the Cowboys to play the game as if they had no offensive weapons either.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 04:48 AM   #130
QCarFan
Golden Member

I kind of agree with you both on it, I think he was definitely out coached from the get go Murph and on the other hand I do agree on how he shouldv'e used the pass to setup the run. And like Murphy said, the guy has done an helluva job but this is one you want to soon forget, him especially. I think Quincy has showed that he can get the job done, so there's no question mark there IMO. Parcells rode him this far, give the guy a chance to make plays and win the game for you. Instead of being extra conservative with the playcallling. Definitely questions at TB, hell Quincy ran the ball better than THam today. Why all of a sudden we have been winning games, and Carter besides Parcells is the big reason why but today Parcells gave him no chance to make plays, which is what he has done all season for the Cowboys. And this O-Line group was no where near avg today, they were well below that IMO.
Old 10-27-2003, 09:30 AM   #131
bogey
Banned

bogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: OutletPass

One guess.
#17?

maybe I should have used a !
bogey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 09:54 AM   #132
Max Power
Banned

Max Power is on a distinguished road

One bad game does not make a season. We knew we were going to lose games this year so why worry about it? The Boys have played better than I had any reason to suspect so a stinker every once in awhile is acceptable.
Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 11:07 AM   #133
QCarFan
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: bogey
Quote:
Originally posted by: OutletPass

One guess.
#17?

maybe I should have used a !
Yea sure Ok, I sure hope you don't think your fooling anyone here?
Old 10-27-2003, 11:14 AM   #134
bogey
Banned

bogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the rough

Not sure what you mean, but the execution of plays was pretty poor against the Bucs. Fair or not it all starts with the quarterback. Especially since he has been producing at a somewhat consistent level. As a fan, I expect progress each game or at least production at a level that wins games. We didn't get that yesterday. Do you feel differently? That was most definitely a team-wide loss though.
Old 10-27-2003, 01:35 PM   #135
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Good game by Dat Ngyun. He's taken a lot of heat on this board, but he showed up yesterday with 12 tackles.
Old 10-27-2003, 02:53 PM   #136
dallas_esq
Golden Member

dallas_esq is a jewel in the roughdallas_esq is a jewel in the roughdallas_esq is a jewel in the rough

Dat is one of my pro-bowl picks. The guy is a football player.
Old 10-27-2003, 03:19 PM   #137
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

We couldn't throw the ball downfield because our quarterback was handing out turnovers like Halloween candy. Our defense kept us in the game, but even they can't do much when the opposing team gets the ball at the Cowboys' 20 every possession. We couldn't afford to let Queef drop back and throw. His mistakes were killing us. It's not Parcell's fault we lost... unless you want to blame him for handing the team over to a man too incompetent to run an NFL offense.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 06:10 PM   #138
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Not sure what you mean, but the execution of plays was pretty poor against the Bucs. Fair or not it all starts with the quarterback. Especially since he has been producing at a somewhat consistent level. As a fan, I expect progress each game or at least production at a level that wins games. We didn't get that yesterday. Do you feel differently? That was most definitely a team-wide loss though.
Actually, I completely disagree. The offensive problems yesterday started with the running back. We got absolutely no production yesterday from the running back. We tried to set up the running game early, and it pretty much got us nowhere. Tampa totally took away the run. You beat a great defense with a 1 dimensional offense. That's where our problems started, and it went down from there. Am I letting Quincy off the hook? No, I thought this was probably his worst performance of the year, and he kind of looked like the Quincy of last year on a few throws. But I don't think the offensive woes started with Quincy. They started with our poor running game.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
Old 10-27-2003, 06:12 PM   #139
FINtastic
Diamond Member

One more thing. The sky isn't falling, I think the Cowboys just kind of fell back to reality. They played a good team and they were due a loss. If we could just get a great running back...

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
Old 10-27-2003, 06:28 PM   #140
QCarFan
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: madape
We couldn't throw the ball downfield because our quarterback was handing out turnovers like Halloween candy. Our defense kept us in the game, but even they can't do much when the opposing team gets the ball at the Cowboys' 20 every possession. We couldn't afford to let Queef drop back and throw. His mistakes were killing us. It's not Parcell's fault we lost... unless you want to blame him for handing the team over to a man too incompetent to run an NFL offense.
Is it just a coincidence that this is the first time I see you around? Or, is you one of those fans who wait for a guy to mess up and then jump on him? Because you sure havent been around, atleast I haven't seen you comment on the Cowboys much. Did Quincys play keep you quiet, or please do tell because I am interested in knowing quite honestly? Quincy made 2 TOs, big deal but as far as players go he is the BIGGEST reason we are 5-2, is he not? Are you one of those Hutch supporters or what? Suck it up and come around after every game, win or lose, good game or bad for Quincy and then I will begin to take you serious when it comes to the Cowboys.
Old 10-27-2003, 06:36 PM   #141
QCarFan
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: FINtastic
Quote:
Actually, I completely disagree. The offensive problems yesterday started with the running back. We got absolutely no production yesterday from the running back. We tried to set up the running game early, and it pretty much got us nowhere. Tampa totally took away the run. You beat a great defense with a 1 dimensional offense. That's where our problems started, and it went down from there. Am I letting Quincy off the hook? No, I thought this was probably his worst performance of the year, and he kind of looked like the Quincy of last year on a few throws. But I don't think the offensive woes started with Quincy. They started with our poor running game.
Couldn't agree with you more on this one, I think most knowledgable fans know that our running game, or lack thereof is what really hurt us yesterday. And Parcells did not shy away from it, he kept going to it and it got us no where You would think after they stop us a few times on 3rd and short, that he would change up and let Quincy throw it a little more. So what he had 2 INTs, it was obvious the running game was going absolutely no where, so put it on your QB and try and let him make plays down the field. He's made plays all season long, hell give him a chance to do so once again. And then there is no blame to be put on anyone but Quincy Carters shoulders. Quincy has thrown INTs before, but has also bounced back with good games. Take the NYG game this season, I think his first throw was a INT and it was returned for a TD. What happened after that, he went on to throw for like 300+ yards or something like that. You got to give your QB a chance to make plays, it is that simple.
Old 10-27-2003, 06:39 PM   #142
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future

as president of the quincy carter club, i can honestly say quincy stunk it up yesterday.

the reason we didn't air it out yesterday is they put ronde barber on the slot, played cover 2 and gave the other corners safety help on the remaining 2 wideouts. tampa dared us to beat them with the running game, and we managed a big pile of nothing. when we couldn't generate anything, quincy forced it too much.

if we play mistake free ball, we go into the half down 6-3 or at best tied at 3. i laugh at the continued posturing for qcar. i love the guy just as much as his most ardent supporter, but you have to be realistic. you throw one pass into triple coverage, that is not a good play. you underthrow another man on a deep crossing pattern into double coverage. that is not a good play. that is not the fault of parcells. that is not the fault of hambrick. you take what the defense gives you. quincy instead of doing that, gave it to the defense. don't be such a homer you can't look at and evaluate things realistically.

we know what hambrick is. he is a glorified backup at best. he can't make a man miss. and the fact our o-line was getting obliterated probably just let TB stay in their cover 2 and force our o-line to beat their front 7. because we couldn't hambone kept losing yards.

we had 5 plays of either 3rd and 1 or 4 and 1 --- we gained NEGATIVE 4 yards.

end of story.
aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 06:57 PM   #143
QCarFan
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: aexchange
as president of the quincy carter club, i can honestly say quincy stunk it up yesterday.

the reason we didn't air it out yesterday is they put ronde barber on the slot, played cover 2 and gave the other corners safety help on the remaining 2 wideouts. tampa dared us to beat them with the running game, and we managed a big pile of nothing. when we couldn't generate anything, quincy forced it too much.

if we play mistake free ball, we go into the half down 6-3 or at best tied at 3. i laugh at the continued posturing for qcar. i love the guy just as much as his most ardent supporter, but you have to be realistic. you throw one pass into triple coverage, that is not a good play. you underthrow another man on a deep crossing pattern into double coverage. that is not a good play. that is not the fault of parcells. that is not the fault of hambrick. you take what the defense gives you. quincy instead of doing that, gave it to the defense. don't be such a homer you can't look at and evaluate things realistically.

we know what hambrick is. he is a glorified backup at best. he can't make a man miss. and the fact our o-line was getting obliterated probably just let TB stay in their cover 2 and force our o-line to beat their front 7. because we couldn't hambone kept losing yards.

we had 5 plays of either 3rd and 1 or 4 and 1 --- we gained NEGATIVE 4 yards.

end of story.
ok we can agree that hambrick in the running game was doing nothing, so what do you suggest the cowboys do? continue to run it and get NOTHING like they did? come on that makes no sense. carter ran the ball better than our rbs yesterday. no one said quincy didnt stink it up because he did but at some point in time when the running game is not working and not going to work you have to change up and try something else, and parcells did not do that he chose to continue running. what do you suggest they should hav done ae?
Old 10-28-2003, 09:55 AM   #144
bogey
Banned

They should have executed the plays that were called. The line didn't. Hambrick didn't. Carter didn't. They flat out stunk up the joint. All of them. Pick any of them and say "_____sucked against the Bucs". Noone can argue with you.
Old 10-29-2003, 02:47 AM   #145
QCarFan
Golden Member

But in sports, when something is not going right or how you hoped they would, you have to make adjustments and Parcells failed to do so IMO.