Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 11-11-2004, 07:16 PM   #1
FishForLunch
Platinum Member

FishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of light
Default Will the Buffalo pick be higher than our own?

I doubt we will win 5 games this year. On the bright side we will atleast have a top 10 pick.
FishForLunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-2004, 11:37 PM   #2
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Will the Buffalo pick be higher than our own?

Would your outlook change if we were to win Monday night?
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 11:41 PM   #3
FishForLunch
Platinum Member

FishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of light

Sure they will beat the beagles.
FishForLunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 01:02 AM   #4
Max Power
Banned

Max Power is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: chumdawg
Would your outlook change if we were to win Monday night?
Of course it would. My outlook would also change if I won the lottery but neither event is likely.
Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 12:13 PM   #5
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Ye of little faith...
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 12:39 PM   #6
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

I'm afraid to say but I think out of the two picks ours will be lower. The Bill don't look half as bad as we do.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 12:46 PM   #7
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Does it matter......both will be good picks as both teams suck right now.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 01:49 PM   #8
GP

GP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to all

The question everyone should be asking is: Will the Cowboys be able to draft impact players with these good draft picks or will they come away empty handed as usual? Right now, I can think of Roy Williams as the only impact player in recent memory. This team needs a jolt of athleticism, youth and enthusiasm.
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 02:08 PM   #9
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Even the Roy Williams pick is questionable. Roy was a special player, but Safety is the least impactful position on the defense. It could be argued that Dwight Freeney, taken a couple of picks later, would have a bigger influence on the Cowboys' secondary than Roy does.
Old 11-12-2004, 04:05 PM   #10
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: dirno2000
Even the Roy Williams pick is questionable. Roy was a special player, but Safety is the least impactful position on the defense. It could be argued that Dwight Freeney, taken a couple of picks later, would have a bigger influence on the Cowboys' secondary than Roy does.
I was thinking of this today. I mean I look at this season and I can pick out a couple of hard hits Roy gave but he hasn't been making those special plays that special players make this year. I think that has alot do with him playing back with the corners however. Last season he was just everywhere. Nowadays he's in the backfield getting killed by tight ends named Schoel. I just hope one of those draft picks brings us atleast one stud on the defensive end. I hate to say that with the offense having all it's troubles but I think our first priority should be to get a great player on the defense. The guy can be at any position just an impact player is all I want.

1996-2005
Old 11-12-2004, 11:53 PM   #11
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

mavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of light
Default RE: Will the Buffalo pick be higher than our own?

we will have two top 10 picks. I promise. Bills have got some life with Mc Gahee but their QB looks older than ours.
Old 11-13-2004, 12:24 PM   #12
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future

Quote:
posted by: FilthyFinMavs... he hasn't been making those special plays that special players make this year. I think that has alot do with him playing back with the corners however. Last season he was just everywhere. Nowadays he's in the backfield getting killed by tight ends named Schoel. I just hope one of those draft picks brings us atleast one stud on the defensive end. I hate to say that with the offense having all it's troubles but I think our first priority should be to get a great player on the defense. The guy can be at any position just an impact player is all I want.
I understand the arguement for the best available - but I still think the TWO top 10 draft picks (MavsFanForever has so kindly promised us) should be exclusively in this order:

CB - Antrel Rolle
LB - Derrick Johnson
DE - Erasmus James
DE - Marcus Spears
DE - David Pollack
DT - Rodrique Wright
RB - Cadillac Williams

DEFENSE!DEFENSE!DEFENSE!DEFENSE!

Why? - We have learned from the Buccaneers and the Ravens and the Patriots and the Panthers that defense wins championships.

I have faith in D. Henson, J. Jones, J. Whitten, and our young offensive linemen to score the 20 points a game. They would be a playoff team with a dominant defense of:

DE: Marciellus Wiley
NT: La'roi Glover
DE: Greg Ellis (resigned?)

LB: Derrick Johnson
LB: Dat Ngyuen
LB: Al Singleton
LB: Bradie James

CB: Terrance Newman
SS: Roy Williams
FS: Darren Woodson
CB: Antrel Rolle

11 man unit with 4-8 potential Pro Bowlers. I salivate at the thought.

Old 11-14-2004, 02:58 AM   #13
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

woody doesnt look like hes coming back buddy.. and marcellus willey?? dont even get me started...

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 03:52 AM   #14
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
He signed an extension last season, so he'll be here.
Old 11-14-2004, 12:14 PM   #15
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: capitalcity
Quote:
posted by: FilthyFinMavs... he hasn't been making those special plays that special players make this year. I think that has alot do with him playing back with the corners however. Last season he was just everywhere. Nowadays he's in the backfield getting killed by tight ends named Schoel. I just hope one of those draft picks brings us atleast one stud on the defensive end. I hate to say that with the offense having all it's troubles but I think our first priority should be to get a great player on the defense. The guy can be at any position just an impact player is all I want.
I understand the arguement for the best available - but I still think the TWO top 10 draft picks (MavsFanForever has so kindly promised us) should be exclusively in this order:

CB - Antrel Rolle
LB - Derrick Johnson
DE - Erasmus James
DE - Marcus Spears
DE - David Pollack
DT - Rodrique Wright
RB - Cadillac Williams

DEFENSE!DEFENSE!DEFENSE!DEFENSE!

Why? - We have learned from the Buccaneers and the Ravens and the Patriots and the Panthers that defense wins championships.

I have faith in D. Henson, J. Jones, J. Whitten, and our young offensive linemen to score the 20 points a game. They would be a playoff team with a dominant defense of:

DE: Marciellus Wiley
NT: La'roi Glover

LB: Derrick Johnson
LB: Dat Ngyuen
LB: Al Singleton
LB: Bradie James

CB: Terrance Newman
SS: Roy Williams
FS: Darren Woodson
CB: Antrel Rolle

11 man unit with 4-8 potential Pro Bowlers. I salivate at the thought.
I have no problem with that draft at all. I think we are going to need a playmaker wide reciever though.

1996-2005
Old 11-14-2004, 05:36 PM   #16
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally posted by: alby
woody doesnt look like hes coming back buddy.. and marcellus willey?? dont even get me started...
Like it or not, Wiley will play. Maybe his production would go back up in a 3-4 scheme - but he's making too much money to bench him.

It's easy to say Marcellus Wiley is sucking ass this season - but lets face it people - there isn't one cowboy playing worth a damn right now.
Old 11-14-2004, 05:49 PM   #17
capitalcity
Diamond Member

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by: FilthyFinMavs

I have no problem with that draft at all. I think we are going to need a playmaker wide reciever though.
I am fine with addressing WR with late round picks - BUT not the two 1st rounders.

Braylen Edwards
Mike Williams
Mark Clayton

Of these 3 college playmakers Clayton is the only guy worth looking at. He seems like a Parcells guy & he's an Arlington boy.

Old 11-16-2004, 12:49 AM   #18
GP

GP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to all

Hope and pray they draft Johnson and Rolle and then sign some decent free agents. The problem with small & fast players like they have now is that when they lose a step they just become small and easy to run over. I'm with Bill on wanting big, strong and fast LB's. How big is Johson? From what I've seen he looks like the best player in the country. He's a one man wrecking crew.
Old 11-16-2004, 01:02 AM   #19
capitalcity
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: GP
I'm with Bill on wanting big, strong and fast LB's. How big is Johson? From what I've seen he looks like the best player in the country. He's a one man wrecking crew.
DJ is 6'4" 235. He's taller and faster but not as big as Bradie James.

Old 11-16-2004, 01:20 AM   #20
GP

With the Cowboys luck, he'll probably go 1-3 and they'll be sittin' at 4.
Old 11-16-2004, 01:33 AM   #21
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

is linebacker of such need to this team that they overlook their other obvious needs to take a guy like DJ? I doubt it. If there is a potentially dominant DE or CB that has to be a higher need for this team.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 01:41 AM   #22
dirno2000
Diamond Member

As soon as he steps on the field, Derrick Johnson will be on of the fastest linebackers in the league. I'd love to see him in a Cowboy uniform.

As far as Rolle, if we don't get somebody who can consistently pressure the passer, it really doesn't matter who you put back there. We'd be paying a ton of money to our cornerbacks and they'd still be getting beat on a regular basis with this line.
Old 11-16-2004, 12:21 PM   #23
GP

Quote:
Originally posted by: sike
is linebacker of such need to this team that they overlook their other obvious needs to take a guy like DJ? I doubt it. If there is a potentially dominant DE or CB that has to be a higher need for this team.
I think the idea of drafting Johnson is that he is far and away the most physical defensive player we've seen. He's going to make an impact as soon as he walks on the field and the Cowboys need someone who makes plays desperately. They get no turnovers and can't stop anyone at the line of scrimmage. Their linebackers are easy to block unless they can get angles and use their speed. Don't get me wrong I like both Coakley and Nguyen very much, I just think that Johnson is going to be very special. But of course, they need Defensive linemen, safeties, cornerbacks, wide receivers and running backs (hopefully not). Thankfully, they have tons of cap room and are going to have 2 premium 1st round picks.
Old 11-16-2004, 12:29 PM   #24
dirno2000
Diamond Member

Rick Gosslin of the DMN apparently doesn't think Johnson is a top ten pick...of course Ray Lewis wasn't a top 20 pick.
Old 11-16-2004, 12:58 PM   #25
GP

All I can say is that if the Cowboys like him and are sitting at 4 then they best damned well draft him. I never understood that whole value idea. We like him at 12 but not at 4???? If they think he's the best player then they should draft him no questions asked, no trades, and no exceptions. Don't get cute, don't get clever, don't second guess yourself, just draft the player you want.
Old 11-16-2004, 01:03 PM   #26
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd love to see Johnson in a Cowboy uni. I enjoyed watching him here in Waco and during his time at Texas.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 01:48 PM   #27
Chicago JK

Chicago JK will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by: dirno2000
Rick Gosslin of the DMN apparently doesn't think Johnson is a top ten pick...of course Ray Lewis wasn't a top 20 pick.
I think I read the last linebacker to go in the top 5 was Lavar arrington. Even last year the two top linebackers went in the teens. Jonathan Vilma was extremely productive and fast in college but didn't go to 13. He has been a starter since day one and has really played well. Vilma teammate, DJ Johnson, is an athletic freak who has all the measurables. He fell until the late teens to Denver. He has also started all the year and has been a very good player.

I really like DJ but do have some concerns with him being a physical backer, although he does make plays. Also keep an eye on sophmore Ahmad Brooks from UVA. He is a Larry fitz case who went to prep school so he will be eligible for this years draft. He is 6'4 260 and runs a 4.6 forty. He has at times returned kickoffs for UVA. also UVA coach is Al Groh who is a Parcells guy. Keep an eye open for Brooks.

Chicago JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 05:51 PM   #28
Jamisonite
Golden Member

Jamisonite is on a distinguished road

I think we need to get Shaun Ellis via free agency and draft Derrick Johnson and Antrel Rolle
Old 11-18-2004, 11:35 PM   #29
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

Ninkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant future

Mmmhh...Rolle and Johnson in the same draft? that would be a most successful one indeed!
Old 11-19-2004, 12:37 AM   #30
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all

IMO i'd sign Shaun Rogers, and draft Rolle with high pick, and Justin Tuck of Notre Dame with lower pick.

Old 11-19-2004, 01:19 PM   #31
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

I'm for getting Abraham from the Jets? Isn't he also a Parcells guy? I guess the only problem is he isn't 30+.

1996-2005
Old 11-19-2004, 03:23 PM   #32
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all

no i think he's like 27-28, and there are actually a few decent DE/DT FA's, so maybe one will come cheap

Abraham, Ellis, Carlos Hall, Rogers and Hovan are just a some of the 27-28 year old FA's.