Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 05-25-2005, 06:12 PM   #1
bcrav4
Golden Member

bcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to all
Default Summer League Hopes

This summer league team looks like it could be awesome. Avery is on board as coach. Josh will be playing even though he doesn't have to and Devin, Pavel, and DJ. Imagine.

Starting Lineup:
Devin
Daniels
Howard
Benga
Pavel

Please, God, let the new CBA be signed in time!
"They better not put me in the All-Star Game. I won't shoot, but I'll dominate that easy game. I'll be playing hard defense. I'll be foulin'. I'll be flagrant fouling. Everyone will be like, 'What are you doing?'" -- Ron Artest.
bcrav4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-2005, 06:58 PM   #2
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of
Default RE: Summer League Hopes

I kinda wish Josh would take the summer off. He's proven himself.
Old 05-25-2005, 07:31 PM   #3
Chicago JK

Chicago JK will become famous soon enough
Default RE:Summer League Hopes

I also think Josh should take the summer off. I also hope we are able to somehow get a mid first via trade and have that person in camp too. I also wouldn't be against bringing in guys like the EX UT PF Thomas kid in or maybe ex high schooler O. Cisse who is playing well in the developmental league. Players like that who are long shots but are also interesting. Anyway, in summer league I don't care if we go 0-8. Devin needs the ball in his hands a lot playing point guard and creating shots for his teammates and Benga and Pavel need a lot of touches. I don't care if they dribble the ball off their foot all game long...give them some repetition on the moves they worked on all offseason.

A couple of things I will look for:
Pavel-
a)Agility- If you don't have it in today's game, then you can't play in the NBA
b) Good Hands- A big man with good hands and agility is very good news
c) Some kind of basketball intelligence-

If he has these three than he will be a NBA player in time, no matter how raw his rest of his game is.

DJ Benga
a) Average rebounding- He looks lost going after rebounds when in the game...if he can't rebound he will never get PT
b) Ability to play without picking up fouls- DJ is a foul machine. He needs to learn how to stay on the floor
c) When to go for the block- DJ contests everything right now. Hopefully in time he will know when just to show and not leave his feet and go put his body on his defender and get the board.

Devin Harris
a) running a team- Get the team in their offenses sets and getting open looks for teammates
b) Use the dribble correctly- Don't dribble just to dribble. Use it to get you someplace on the court. Dribble with a purpose.
c) Get a feel for the position- Devin shouldn't need to look over at the bench each time he crosses mid court. He should have a better understanding of when to push and when to slow down and set up

I am already confident in Devin's offensive game, but I will be watching his point guard skills very closely.
Chicago JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 07:51 PM   #4
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

If josh would work day in, day out on his jump shot I agree. But I think he has a blast playing with marquis, he sure seemed to last year.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 10:51 PM   #5
uberfan
Golden Member

uberfan has a spectacular aura aboutuberfan has a spectacular aura about

Marquis to work on outside shot.

Josh to work on mid-range jumper.

Quote:
Originally posted by: Chicago JK
I also think Josh should take the summer off. I also hope we are able to somehow get a mid first via trade and have that person in camp too. I also wouldn't be against bringing in guys like the EX UT PF Thomas kid in or maybe ex high schooler O. Cisse who is playing well in the developmental league. Players like that who are long shots but are also interesting. Anyway, in summer league I don't care if we go 0-8. Devin needs the ball in his hands a lot playing point guard and creating shots for his teammates and Benga and Pavel need a lot of touches. I don't care if they dribble the ball off their foot all game long...give them some repetition on the moves they worked on all offseason.

A couple of things I will look for:
Pavel-
a)Agility- If you don't have it in today's game, then you can't play in the NBA
b) Good Hands- A big man with good hands and agility is very good news
c) Some kind of basketball intelligence-

If he has these three than he will be a NBA player in time, no matter how raw his rest of his game is.

DJ Benga
a) Average rebounding- He looks lost going after rebounds when in the game...if he can't rebound he will never get PT
b) Ability to play without picking up fouls- DJ is a foul machine. He needs to learn how to stay on the floor
c) When to go for the block- DJ contests everything right now. Hopefully in time he will know when just to show and not leave his feet and go put his body on his defender and get the board.

Devin Harris
a) running a team- Get the team in their offenses sets and getting open looks for teammates
b) Use the dribble correctly- Don't dribble just to dribble. Use it to get you someplace on the court. Dribble with a purpose.
c) Get a feel for the position- Devin shouldn't need to look over at the bench each time he crosses mid court. He should have a better understanding of when to push and when to slow down and set up

I am already confident in Devin's offensive game, but I will be watching his point guard skills very closely.
uberfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 11:11 PM   #6
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Devin will benefit immensely from Avery coaching the summer league team. Last year Charlie Parker let him run wild and he shot way too much. In fact, I remember Parker trying to compliment Devin by saying that he scores even when you don't run plays for him. That's a nice trait for a SF, but for it PG it just means that he's freelancing too much. Avery will make him play under control.
Old 05-26-2005, 12:48 AM   #7
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Devin Harris
c) Get a feel for the position- Devin shouldn't need to look over at the bench each time he crosses mid court. He should have a better understanding of when to push and when to slow down and set up.
I find it unfortunate that all this must also be said of JT.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 01:05 AM   #8
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Summer leagues will be huge for this team.

Our first string point now should be our second (Terry is the perfect NVE type, but he isnt the point we need)
Our second string center will permanently be our third, whether or not there is a capable second stringer.

In other words: we need a backup center and a starting point. We didnt give up much to get Harris (diff. between Stack and Jamison), Pavel (late 1st rounder), and DJ (nothing), we need to get more out of them or we need to get the message as early as possible so that we can make the appropriate moves.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 01:14 AM   #9
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally posted by: sike
Quote:
Devin Harris
c) Get a feel for the position- Devin shouldn't need to look over at the bench each time he crosses mid court. He should have a better understanding of when to push and when to slow down and set up.
I agree. If he's gonna' be the annointed starter, then I suggest he play summer leagues too. Don't see how it could possibly hurt with AJ coaching.

V2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 01:19 AM   #10
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: V2M
Quote:
Quote:
Devin Harris
I agree. If he's gonna' be the annointed starter, then I suggest he play summer leagues too. Don't see how it could possibly hurt with AJ coaching.
except he might actually get "hurt". I don't think they would want to risk "wearing him down"...blah, blah, blah...

It would be nice to see JT work in the summer league a barely shoot at all...just run the O and attempt to set up your teammates....

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 05-26-2005, 01:33 AM   #11
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by: V2M
Quote:
Quote:
Devin Harris
except he might actually get "hurt". I don't think they would want to risk "wearing him down"...blah, blah, blah...

It would be nice to see JT work in the summer league a barely shoot at all...just run the O and attempt to set up your teammates....
I see what you're saying. But if injury risk is really the reason that he doesn't get played, then I don't want Josh playing in the Summer league, either. He just needs to work on his jumper and he could do that in a Gym all by himself. He'd learn nothing blowing by lesser mortals off the dribble.

V2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 01:35 AM   #12
sike
The Preacha

agreed

Old 05-26-2005, 06:42 PM   #13
bcrav4
Golden Member

bcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to all

Who else would be on the floor playing besides those 5 most of the time? I'm assuming we would bring in some players as backups, but would avery be able to risk losing with DJ and Pavel in the game?
"They better not put me in the All-Star Game. I won't shoot, but I'll dominate that easy game. I'll be playing hard defense. I'll be foulin'. I'll be flagrant fouling. Everyone will be like, 'What are you doing?'" -- Ron Artest.
Old 05-26-2005, 08:31 PM   #14
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

Derek Hood.

betcha $50.

One of the Sasser brothers... etc.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 08:54 PM   #15
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: EricaLubarsky
Our first string point now should be our second (Terry is the perfect NVE type, but he isnt the point we need)
Our second string center will permanently be our third, whether or not there is a capable second stringer.
I'm hearing that so much these days. First off, I think Stackhouse is the new NVE, not Terry. And second... I've said this over and over again the past few days, but I seriously think everyone here is overrating Devin. The kid's got talent, yes, but at this point, Terry is a much better point guard option than he is. People all season long have been complaining about Terry not being a "true" point, myself included, but everyone here seems to forget that Devin isn't exactly a "true" point himself. "he isn't the point we need"... If you honestly think that Devin is, then I'm afraid you're mistaken, because Terry is a much better point guard than Devin is. Now, maybe Devin will have an absolutely amazing offseason, and develop more than any other player has ever developed in a single summer, but I doubt it. That's the only way I see Devin starting next season, because Terry played pretty well this season; much better than expected. And keep in mind that Jet is going to work his ass off in the offseason, learning how to be a better PG, because I imagine that he wants to keep his spot in the starting 5. Honestly folks, in a sense, last year was Terry's rookie season. He was never coached in Atlanta, he was never asked or expected to be a real point guard. He really learned a whole lot this season, and I guarantee he'll come back next year much better prepared. If you people are honestly expecting Devin to start next year, I think you'll be disappointed.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 09:26 PM   #16
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Just a few college stats

Nash
Junior year 20.9ppg, 6.4apg, 3.8rpg, 44.4% from the field, 45.4% from three, 88% FT 33.4mpg
Senior year 17.0ppg, 6.0apg, 3.5rpg , 43.0% from the field, 34.4% from three, 89.4%FT, 33.8mpg

Terry
Junior year 10.6ppg, 4.3apg, 2.4rpg, 42.2% from the field, 34.7% from three, 82.7%FT, 22.8mpg
Senior year 21.9ppg, 5.5apg, 3,3rpg, 44.3% from the field, 39.8% from three, 83.9%FT, 38.2mpg

Harris
Sopho year 12.7ppg, 3.1apg, 46.3% from the field, 38,7% from three, 75.6% FT, 34.4mpg
Junior year 19.5ppg, 4.4apg, 4.3rpg, 45.9% from the field, 37.3% from three, 79% FT, 36.3mpg

And for the record, Im not sure that Harris is the starting point guard. I just think summer league will be important for Harris to show what he has and develop.

Quote:
If you people are honestly expecting Devin to start next year, I think you'll be disappointed.
Well noted. We'll see if you are wrong though.
Old 05-26-2005, 10:00 PM   #17
endtroducing
Golden Member

endtroducing is on a distinguished road

Terry wasn't effective at all off the bench for us
Old 05-26-2005, 10:00 PM   #18
stressboy2

stressboy2 has a spectacular aura aboutstressboy2 has a spectacular aura aboutstressboy2 has a spectacular aura about

Here's to seeing Bracey Wright picked up by the team as an unsigned FA and being the first guard off the bench this summer. I know it unrealistic because his chance to make the league is much better on many other teams that are not so guard heavy, but the kid is very quick, has hops equal to if not greater than Devin's, and has a much better jump shot. Did I mention the kid can play some pretty good D. If Harris is going to actually get time this year then DA is expendable and I would like to see us pick up a developmental player and Wright is I think the kind of kid that never got the coaching he needed by a very suspect Indiana coaching staff, but already has an NBA shot and athletic ability. I think he is quick enough to D up on most PGs. Really I think it's a moot point because he will do well enough in workouts to secure a 2nd round pick, but hey Danials feel through the cracks.
stressboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 10:03 PM   #19
endtroducing
Golden Member

he shoots awful percentages, and makes really really bad decisions. his jump shot is not better than the one Harris has.
Old 05-26-2005, 11:07 PM   #20
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: stressboy2
Here's to seeing Bracey Wright picked up by the team as an unsigned FA and being the first guard off the bench this summer. I know it unrealistic because his chance to make the league is much better on many other teams that are not so guard heavy, but the kid is very quick, has hops equal to if not greater than Devin's, and has a much better jump shot. Did I mention the kid can play some pretty good D. If Harris is going to actually get time this year then DA is expendable and I would like to see us pick up a developmental player and Wright is I think the kind of kid that never got the coaching he needed by a very suspect Indiana coaching staff, but already has an NBA shot and athletic ability. I think he is quick enough to D up on most PGs. Really I think it's a moot point because he will do well enough in workouts to secure a 2nd round pick, but hey Danials feel through the cracks.
I'd love to see Bracy get a shot in Dallas. He made a horrible decision by declaring for the draft, but I wouldn't be suprised to see him make it in the league. There's not a huge demand for undersized 2-guards with questionable shot selection so there may be an opportunity to pick him up in the FA market. I attribute a lot of his struggles at Indiana to the fact that he didn't have much help after his Freshman season and bad coaching. Still he has the tools to be a good combo guard off the bench.

Old 05-27-2005, 01:24 AM   #21
TheBaron

TheBaron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: endtroducing
Terry wasn't effective at all off the bench for us
Except of course in the Houston series where he was coming off the bench. He was a starter, but he was coming off the bench in the fourth.

Oh boy!
TheBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 09:20 AM   #22
Arne
Golden Member

Arne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud of

This may have been already posted but anyways:

DALLAS - Mavericks point guard Devin Harris planned to follow up his rookie season by spending his summer vacation at Avery Johnson's basketball boot camp, absorbing hard-driving, hands-on direction from the Little General.

However, the NBA's labor negotiations have muddied the agenda.

"I hope so," Harris said of possibly playing under the Mavericks' head coach this summer. "It's a great chance for me to get better."

Johnson is determined to get better play out of his point guards. After the Game 6 loss to the Phoenix Suns, Dirk Nowitzki criticized the team's basketball IQ, a direct shot at Jason Terry, a career shooting guard who was forced to play the point this season. Johnson hopes to hasten Harris' on-court maturation -- and lessen the burden on Terry -- by taking the unusual step of coaching a summer team himself. It's usually a task handled by assistant coaches.

"I'm probably going to come back one of the most well-conditioned coaches next year, because I'm going to be wearing out Jason Terry and Devin Harris," Johnson said. "They're the first two on my hit list."

However, Harris' summer mentorship might be put on hold if a new collective bargaining agreement is not completed by June 30. League owners could then impose a lockout as early as July 1. As of now, NBA commissioner David Stern and players' union executive director Billy Hunter might have more influence over Harris' readiness for next season than the Mavs' tireless head coach.

"We so desperately need to have Devin contribute significant minutes for us next year that I think it's the most important thing for our franchise to have him experience that summer league," Mavs president of basketball operations Donnie Nelson said. "It will be a big knock if we don't get that."

A lockout threatens to shut down the NBA's summer leagues, which run throughout July, as well as free agency, which begins July 1. October training camps also could be in danger if the two sides can't reach an agreement.

The Mavericks have planned two summer teams that will split play in three leagues. First- and second-year players, plus prospects, make up the brunt of summer-league rosters. Veterans, such as Terry, usually do not play in the summer leagues but can work individually on specific programs designed by the coaching staff.

Harris' development is the key motivation, but not the only one, for Johnson's commitment to coach this summer. Barring a lockout, Johnson also hopes to enlist Marquis Daniels, who failed to blossom in his second season, unlike teammate Josh Howard. An ankle injury last summer disrupted Daniels' progression and left him buried on Johnson's bench once Don Nelson retired with 18 games left in the season.

Howard, meanwhile, credited his two summers of playing under assistant coach Charlie Parker for his sophomore improvement. The Mavs believe Harris could see similar gains.

"You have to be ready to go and willing to learn and trying to grow," Howard said. "If you go out there with the mind-set that you're going to improve, you will."

With Steve Nash's departure to Phoenix, and Terry having played the point sporadically, Don Nelson rushed Harris into the starting point guard position to begin the season, a difficult adjustment often compared to that of a rookie quarterback starting in the NFL. Smart and fundamentally sound, Harris still wasn't ready to run Nelson's complex offense and was soon replaced by Terry. Johnson tried to ease Harris back in the rotation, but couldn't squeeze consistent minutes out of him and rarely used him in the playoffs.

"There is a learning curve," Harris said. "Sometimes people get it quickly, sometimes it takes them a little time. Coming to a winning team like this is kind of hard. We don't have the time to wait for me to develop."

Which is why Donnie Nelson is so high on the summer leagues and so alarmed at the prospect of a quiet July. He said he believes the Mavs are the only NBA franchise to field two summer teams (Parker will coach one team), allowing Johnson to split Harris and Daniels and work both at point guard for maximum minutes. Same for project centers DJ Mbenga and Pavel Podkolzin, two raw 7-footers the Mavs hope to develop into serviceable backups behind center Erick Dampier.

"You just see guys grow leaps and bounds, because they are able to do things in summer league that they really can't capture in their first couple of years," Donnie Nelson said. "It's really in those situations that you're able to spar through stuff that you don't have the luxury of doing in the NBA [season], where every possession is huge.

"We're all hopeful there can be a summer league. If there isn't, there is no question that it will be to the developmental detriment of a lot of young players."

"Truth is treason in the empire of lies." - Ron Paul The Revolution - A Manifesto
Arne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 08:22 PM   #23
bcrav4
Golden Member

I'm ecstatic to see that Benga, PPod and Harris would get a TON of minutes on their own summer league teams. I'm not sure about Marquis Daniels playing point for the majority of his minutes. Isn't he a shooting guard @ like 6'7"?
Old 06-02-2005, 08:50 PM   #24
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: bcrav4
I'm ecstatic to see that Benga, PPod and Harris would get a TON of minutes on their own summer league teams. I'm not sure about Marquis Daniels playing point for the majority of his minutes. Isn't he a shooting guard @ like 6'7"?
Quis certainly is more of a 2, than a 1, but it's actually his height specifically that makes him appealing to play at point. Every now and then, you'll see him play point to abuse smaller defenders like Bibby and Nash in the post. I really think he's the most natural passer on the team. He seems to be more of a distributor and playmaker than is Terry or Harris. I'm not saying that he's a better option at PG, because he isn't. However, I certainly don't have a problem with him playing point. However, it's his shooting, not his passing that desperately needs improvement, and the exact oppisite can be said of Harris.
Old 06-02-2005, 09:34 PM   #25
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Originally posted by: bcrav4
6'5"
Old 06-03-2005, 12:12 AM   #26
endtroducing
Golden Member

try 6'6
Old 06-03-2005, 05:13 AM   #27
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

thats what he's listed at.
Old 06-03-2005, 06:52 AM   #28
The Miles

The Miles is on a distinguished road

Marquis the best passer on the team? He has trouble finding the open guy on a 3 on 1 fast break.

Quis has a lot of work to do, he can do it, but he needs a lot of work.

"When you (Coach Johnson) get behind your players like that it’s something special. He’s the general and we are soldiers, you go out there and want to lay it all on the line…that’s the type of situation I wanted to be in."-Doug Christie
The Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 03:18 PM   #29
Hitman
Golden Member

Hitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to all

There ain't gonna be no summer league this year.

Put Your Brand On Everyone's Lips: http://www.java-ads.com
Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 04:54 PM   #30
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

yeah there will.
Old 06-03-2005, 06:00 PM   #31
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by: The Miles
Marquis the best passer on the team? He has trouble finding the open guy on a 3 on 1 fast break.

Quis has a lot of work to do, he can do it, but he needs a lot of work.
So does Terry, and so does Harris. And I didn't say that he's the best passer on the team. I said he's the "most natural" passer on the team. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 06-21-2005, 03:41 PM   #32
bcrav4
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: Hitman
There ain't gonna be no summer league this year.
Summer league is back on and hopefully our players will develop. Will it be Quis and Benga on one team and Devin and Pavel on another? Who do you think would win that matchup of points and centers?
Old 06-22-2005, 12:17 AM   #33
Phil Helmuth

Phil Helmuth is on a distinguished road

No lockout baby! Lets see all our young studs blossom under a boot camp from Avery.
Old 06-22-2005, 02:58 PM   #34
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

Miles,

Dirk said when Daniels came back that he was the best passer on the team. Even if that were true this team doesn't pass the ball particularly well. At least now.

Benga and Pavel can now hown their skills in the NBDL. Pavel is only 19, Mbenga only has five years of basketball experience.

The big jump in play should be from Daniels and Harris. This offseason should be very exciting. This will be his first full year of summer league play. Although, I could be wrong about that. Dirk and Howard made tremednous strides from year one to year two. Unless there is a deal where a star or superstar can be had. No major deals need to be made. This team probably will compete for a title, but in 2006-2007 should be the year the mavs are champs.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote