Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 06-23-2005, 02:18 AM   #1
bradleywillcrushyou44

bradleywillcrushyou44 is a jewel in the roughbradleywillcrushyou44 is a jewel in the roughbradleywillcrushyou44 is a jewel in the rough
Default The Official Retire "44" Thread

who wants to see it hanging from the rafters!

8 1/2 seasons with the mavs, classy player, top 10 all time blocker, led the league twice in blocks per game
bradleywillcrushyou44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-2005, 02:20 AM   #2
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:The Official Retire "44" Thread

I'd like to see his jersey retired. He is the franchise's all-time leading shot blocker.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 02:22 AM   #3
dirk2003

dirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to all
Default RE: The Official Retire "44" Thread

If he gets retired and agguire does not... ill shoot myself.
Old 06-23-2005, 02:31 AM   #4
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: dirk2003
If he gets retired and agguire does not... ill shoot myself.
How many seasons was Aguirre with the Mavs?
Old 06-23-2005, 02:55 AM   #5
StrikerV

StrikerV will become famous soon enough

Aguirre for Adrian Dantley + 1st round 1991 pick

Let Aguirre retire a PISTON, barf.
StrikerV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 03:00 AM   #6
The Miles

The Miles is on a distinguished road

Retire Shawn Bradleys jersey?

ROFL.

"When you (Coach Johnson) get behind your players like that it’s something special. He’s the general and we are soldiers, you go out there and want to lay it all on the line…that’s the type of situation I wanted to be in."-Doug Christie
The Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 03:04 AM   #7
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

IMO a team with no titles shouldn't have any numbers retired.

Old 06-23-2005, 03:06 AM   #8
dirk2003

dirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to all

In one season, Aguirre did more than Bradley did in his career.
Old 06-23-2005, 04:12 AM   #9
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
That may be true. And Elton Brand may have done more in his tenure with the Bulls than any one of their players, but that doesn't matter because he was only there briefly. In order for a player's jersey to be retired they must spend the bulk of their career, if not all of it, with that team. If Aguirre's jersey is retired, it'll be by Detroit. Shawn may not have contributed near as much as Aguirre did, but he has spent most of his career in Dallas. For example, Jeff Hornacek never did much of anything in his career. Still, he spent all of it in Utah, so they retired his number.
Old 06-23-2005, 04:16 AM   #10
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by: dirno2000
So by that logic, Utah shouldn't have retired John Stockton's number? Indiana shouldn't retire Reggie Miller's number? I have to disagree with you there.
Old 06-23-2005, 05:00 AM   #11
Lebanese_Fan

Lebanese_Fan is on a distinguished road

No way can Shawn be compared to Stockton and miller. He didn't take us to greatness, Finley and dirk did. When Finley retires, his jersey will be retired. Sorry Shawn, u r not retiring material.
Lebanese_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 05:20 AM   #12
The Miles

Who is Pat Rhiley?

I do agree with you but when you have Brad Davis hanging you have to worry about Bradley being up there too.

"When you (Coach Johnson) get behind your players like that it’s something special. He’s the general and we are soldiers, you go out there and want to lay it all on the line…that’s the type of situation I wanted to be in."-Doug Christie
Old 06-23-2005, 06:41 AM   #13
mnmpeanut

mnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to all

aguirre played 7 1/2 seasons for the mavs, scoring 24.6 pts and 5.7 rebs. a-hole or not, his number should be hanging.

and like brad davis, nice guy or not, shawn has no business hanging in the rafters. role players on non-championship teams do not deserve to have their ## retired.
Old 06-23-2005, 07:51 AM   #14
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

His number should be retired. He's the best center this franchise has ever seen (even though they never really realized it).

I hope the mantis doesn't retire. He was the most effective Maverick this year, as he was for many years. He can go to another team, and be the missing piece. My dream is to see Shawn holding up an NBA finals trophy in one hand, while giving Mark Cuban the finger with the other.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 07:58 AM   #15
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: madape
His number should be retired. He's the best center this franchise has ever seen (even though they never really realized it).

I hope the mantis doesn't retire. He was the most effective Maverick this year, as he was for many years. He can go to another team, and be the missing piece. My dream is to see Shawn holding up an NBA finals trophy in one hand, while giving Mark Cuban the finger with the other.

I'm not sure they let the 12th man on the bench hoist the trophy. Might get to put a finger on it in the locker room, but not hoist it.

Missing piece...that's hilarious.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 08:31 AM   #16
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future

the day we see bradley's jersey hanging from the rafters is the day chris anstey becomes the best running big man in the nba.
aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 08:58 AM   #17
Mavs Maniac

Mavs Maniac has a spectacular aura aboutMavs Maniac has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally posted by: Thespiralgoeson
Quote:
That may be true. And Elton Brand may have done more in his tenure with the Bulls than any one of their players, but that doesn't matter because he was only there briefly. In order for a player's jersey to be retired they must spend the bulk of their career, if not all of it, with that team. If Aguirre's jersey is retired, it'll be by Detroit. Shawn may not have contributed near as much as Aguirre did, but he has spent most of his career in Dallas. For example, Jeff Hornacek never did much of anything in his career. Still, he spent all of it in Utah, so they retired his number.
Actually, Hornacek spent his first two years in Phoenix and two more in Philly before he made it to Utah.
Mavs Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 08:59 AM   #18
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

Don't retire the number... having BD's number retired already kinda makes the Mavs look like a joke to the league. That being said, we do need to have a Shawn Bradley night next season and have a nice highlight reel of him punking on guys throughout his career.. leave people remembering the positive stuff rather than all the stupid, "If I was 7'6..." commentary.

Spiral, FYI.. Hornacek had a lot of years in Phoenix to go with his years in Utah.

Oh, and... one of you guys that's really good at finding old pictures and video needs to start a Bradley highlight thread.
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 09:16 AM   #19
Mavs Maniac

Mavs Maniac has a spectacular aura aboutMavs Maniac has a spectacular aura about

Why does everyone love Shawn Bradley so much???

I mean I can understand liking him as a human being. He seems like a nice guy and all... but he SUCKED as a player in the NBA!!

He never averaged 30 minutes for the Mavericks for an entire season. He never once in his career averaged 10 rebounds per game. And after his first year and a half here, he never even averaged 9 points a game. Hell he only started half the games in a season twice while a Maverick.
Mavs Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 09:34 AM   #20
NewMexiMav

NewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally posted by: Rhylan
Don't retire the number... having BD's number retired already kinda makes the Mavs look like a joke to the league. That being said, we do need to have a Shawn Bradley night next season and have a nice highlight reel of him punking on guys throughout his career.. leave people remembering the positive stuff rather than all the stupid, "If I was 7'6..." commentary.

Spiral, FYI.. Hornacek had a lot of years in Phoenix to go with his years in Utah.

Oh, and... one of you guys that's really good at finding old pictures and video needs to start a Bradley highlight thread.
You beat me to it Rhylan!

Yeah, retiring Shawn's number would be a huge joke around the league, but a Shawn Bradley Appreciation Night next season would be very appropriate. I would guess that Cuban would be inclined to go for something like that. I've always felt Cuban was a Bradley defender. He re-signed him to a long term deal and he's always talked him up. I don't know why madape is trying to blame Cuban for this. After the playoffs, Bradley saw the writing on the wall that Avery wasn't going to give him any more opportunities than Nellie. So why battle through the injuries just to ride the pine, occassionally pick up garbage time, and constantly be the whipping boy in the media and among fair-weather fans? It's well-established that Shawn is a devoted family man, and he has put down roots in Dallas. While a change of scenery might revitalize his career and prove some naysayers wrong, I don't think Shawn wants to put his family through the upheaval of moving.

I'll miss not having him around, but I won't miss the frustration over his under-utilization by the Mavs or the legion of haters who liked to blame Shawn for every loss the Mavs suffered. The guy was an asset to the team and will unquestionably continue on as an asset to the Dallas community.
NewMexiMav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 09:56 AM   #21
NewMexiMav

NewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally posted by: Mavs Maniac
Why does everyone love Shawn Bradley so much???

I mean I can understand liking him as a human being. He seems like a nice guy and all... but he SUCKED as a player in the NBA!!

He never averaged 30 minutes for the Mavericks for an entire season. He never once in his career averaged 10 rebounds per game. And after his first year and a half here, he never even averaged 9 points a game. Hell he only started half the games in a season twice while a Maverick.
I think the "Shawn-Love" you're seeing on the board is less a relection of his on-court accomplishments (although, as long time Mavs fans know, there have been some great moments) and more a reflection of his long tenure with the Mavs which traces all the way back to Nellie's house-cleaning trade with New Jersey. Shawn and Fin are reminders of the lean years, when we all wondered if the Mavs would ever find their way back to the playoffs.
NewMexiMav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 10:07 AM   #22
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

I am a big Shawn fan, but retire his jersey.........I don't think so.
Even if he is the best center Dallas has ever had play for them (and that is easily debatable) -- he still averaged less than 10 and 10 w/o a championship. Retiring of jersey is way way overboard. IMO, the standards should be much higher than that.

IMO -- Aguirre-- mabye, Fin -- hasn't done enough yet, Davis (shouldn't have been), Ro - yes, Harper - no, Dirk -- (evenutally yes), Nash - no, Shawn - no, Donaldson - Perkins - any others --no

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 10:17 AM   #23
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Quote:
So by that logic, Utah shouldn't have retired John Stockton's number? Indiana shouldn't retire Reggie Miller's number? I have to disagree with you there.
Good point. I guess the exception to my rule should be 1st ballot hall of famers that spent their entire careers with one team.

Old 06-23-2005, 10:43 AM   #24
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Bradley's #44 does not deserve to be retired. It might have a chance if Brad Davis type players is their standard, but I think Davis was more of a sentimental choice than anything else. Shawn does not share the same place in the front office's heart strings as BD.

Mavs that should be retired: Ro, Harp, Fin, Dirk, Don Carter should have some kind of banner off to the side up there.....Aguirre if you don't consider him a traitor...by the way...there could be a good thread on this topic: "Mavs who should have their number retired"...

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 11:17 AM   #25
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

if bradley's number gets retired, whos going to be with me to tear it down?

im serious.

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 02:58 PM   #26
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: alby
if bradley's number gets retired, whos going to be with me to tear it down?
im serious.
you would need a big ladder

I'm serious

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 03:08 PM   #27
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

Quote:
Originally posted by: bradleywillcrushyou44
who wants to see it hanging from the rafters!

8 1/2 seasons with the mavs, classy player, top 10 all time blocker, led the league twice in blocks per game
As the guy on Bob's Blog who mentioned this thread was here said, "I think I just threw up in my mouth a little."
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 03:20 PM   #28
Eman

Eman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to all

Bradley's retirement cleans up our team just a little. Out with the old and ineffective, in with Ppod and Benga and whoever else we can trade for this summer..........Come on little Nellie!!!1
Eman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 03:26 PM   #29
bo319

bo319 is on a distinguished road

Retire his jersey...uhhh no!
Mantis night during season...yeah!
bo319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 04:12 PM   #30
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by: Lebanese_Fan
No way can Shawn be compared to Stockton and miller. He didn't take us to greatness, Finley and dirk did. When Finley retires, his jersey will be retired. Sorry Shawn, u r not retiring material.
It's funny how words can get twisted around. I never ever compared Shawn to Stockton or Miller. Stockton is the greatest point guard of all time, and Miller is one of the greatest swingmen of all time. Shawn, at the top of his game, was at best a decent player. My point in bringing up Reggie and Stockton was to rebut Dirno's suggestion that a team with no titles shouldn't have any numbers retired.
Old 06-23-2005, 04:28 PM   #31
The Miles

Umm, Magic Johnson>>>>>>>>>>&gt ;>>>>>>>>>>>>& gt;>>>>>>>>>>John Stockton.

Old 06-23-2005, 04:40 PM   #32
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by: The Miles
Umm, Magic Johnson>>>>>>>>>>&gt ;>>>>>>>>>>>>& gt;>>>>>>>>>>John Stockton.
That's very true, but one of the things that made Magic so great was that he was the one player in the history of the game who could play ANY position. When I say that Stockton is the greatest, I mean that he was the greatest "conventional" point. Stockton was a pure point in every sense of the word. Magic was a freak who spent most of his time at point, but also played center when Kareem was injured. Actually, IMO, Magic is the second greatest player ever, behind MJ.
Old 06-23-2005, 05:14 PM   #33
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Good point. I guess the exception to my rule should be 1st ballot hall of famers that spent their entire careers with one team.

hmmm... what about ewing? or are we forgetting the seattle and Orlando years? I realize I'm nitpicking, but there really shouldn't be any rules (written or unwritten) as to whether a team can retire jerseys or not.

or are you saying that even though ewing didn't win a championship, but the knicks have at some point, then ewing's number can be retired?

What about ABA championships, do those count?
Old 06-23-2005, 05:25 PM   #34
dirno2000
Diamond Member

The Seattle and Orlando years never happened...
Old 06-23-2005, 05:31 PM   #35
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

Big #44 was the greatest center in Mavs history, and I say his number should absolutely hang from the rafters. Bradley has bled his blood, sweat, and tears on the court in Mavs blue for years now, and I believe all of that effort as well as his winning of shot-blocking titles deserve to be honored.
Old 06-23-2005, 05:33 PM   #36
The Miles

Who is James Donaldson for $300, Alex?

Old 06-23-2005, 05:53 PM   #37
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

Wasn't James Donaldson that slow footed lumberer who played for Dallas for five years and averaged a pretty pedestrian, near-double double over that time? The same guy who idiotic fans constantly bring up as the supreme paragon and exemplar of what a Dallas Maverick's center should be, and constantly proclaim to be, 'the greatest center in Mavericks history'? Well forgive me for not properly venerating the legacy of great old James Donaldson here, but I never thought that the man was all that great when he played for us, and I'd have a lot of trouble coming around to believe that a shuffling, slow-footed bum who lost his job to the likes of Terry Davis was a historically better center for the Mavs than two-time shot-blocking champion Shawn Bradley was...
Old 06-23-2005, 06:02 PM   #38
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

That's a sad testament to the Mavericks if the title of "greatest center in franchise history" is between James Donaldson and Shawn Bradley. Oh well.
Old 06-23-2005, 06:13 PM   #39
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

It's a shame Bradley's career was ended prematurely by Cuban. Shawn could play 30 minutes a game for the next six or seven years (which he easily could play, fiven that he never was a man who depended on youthful athleticism and mobility). Given those years, and the last four years which were stolen from him by his stubborn head coach, Shawn very well could have broken Hakeem's all-time NBA record for blocked shots. If that were to have occured, we wouldn't be talking about retiring his jersey right now, we'd be talking about hall-of-fame.

madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 06:21 PM   #40
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by: madape
It's a shame Bradley's career was ended prematurely by Cuban. Shawn could play 30 minutes a game for the next six or seven years (which he easily could play, fiven that he never was a man who depended on youthful athleticism and mobility). Given those years, and the last four years which were stolen from him by his stubborn head coach, Shawn very well could have broken Hakeem's all-time NBA record for blocked shots. If that were to have occured, we wouldn't be talking about retiring his jersey right now, we'd be talking about hall-of-fame.
Madape, if you absolutely have to blame someone for ending Bradley's career, aside from Bradley himself, blame Nellie. Cuban was the one who kept Bradley here for all these years, when he could just have easily sent him away. In fact, Cuban has been nothing but kind to Bradley. I specifically remember him making a kind remark like "Shawn will always have a home here" or something to that effect. Nellie was the one who benched him, not Cuban. And while nobody knows the details, I find it doubtful that Cuban has somehow forced Shawn into early retirement. The truth is, he never seemed to be passionate at all about basketball, and probably does want to spend more time with his family. So he and Mark probably came to an agreement. You make it sound as if Mark all of a sudden just cut him down in his prime. You talk like he traded Shawn to Atlanta.