Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 11-20-2007, 11:28 AM   #1
TripleDipping
Diamond Member

TripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud of
Default Black Friday sale

It's been kind of a tradition for my wife and me to wait in line overnight for the Black Friday sale every year. We would scout the Thanksgiving day newspaper and head out to either Best Buy or Circuit City (depending on which has the sweeter deals) at about 12am, and just sit there with some friends and shoot the breeze until the shop opens.

My wife won't be going with me this year because she's 7 months pregnant but a few of my friends and I will still be going and I plan on getting a camcorder with hard drive and a plasma TV, along with the stuff that are usually going to be dirt cheap that day (DVD-R, flash drives etc.). I might be going to Home Depot too this year because I want to get a grill... but that would be much later in the morning.

Anybody here besides me do something like that? Or are you one of those people who would show up at opening time and just cut queue????

Do share your experiences here... what do you normally buy on Black Friday sale? Do you go to other shops besides Best Buy and Circuit City? Do places like Wal-Mart and Target offer better deals on electronics than Best Buy and Circuit City?
TripleDipping is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-2007, 11:58 AM   #2
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

that would be awesome..go to the store and come home with all those sweet goodies.
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 11:59 AM   #3
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

I also read that amazon.com is going to have a black friday sale as well. that will be interesting to see what they come up with.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 12:29 PM   #4
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

I usually lock the door on black friday, and sit at home with leftovers + beer + football.
Old 11-20-2007, 12:33 PM   #5
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco
I usually lock the door on black friday, and sit at home with leftovers + beer + football.
Amen.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 12:39 PM   #6
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Amen and exactly

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 12:40 PM   #7
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Amen here also.

What's wierd is that it's 11:40 on a game day and no one is starting a game thread. I started the last one, and anytime I start two in a row we lose the 2nd.... so it sure would be nice if someone would give our Mavs a chance tonight....
Old 11-20-2007, 01:20 PM   #8
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Yea I always check the black friday sales out. Haven't seen any sales at this point that makes me really want to get up on a friday morning and fight with other customers for products yet though.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 01:33 PM   #9
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I usually lock the door on black friday, and sit at home with leftovers + beer + football + my penis.
hmm..i wonder what you are going to do with that?
Old 11-20-2007, 01:46 PM   #10
jacktruth
Golden Member

jacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud of

I once saw an old lady leaving toys-r-us with black eye.
jacktruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 02:36 PM   #11
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktruth
I once saw an old lady leaving toys-r-us with black eye.
Black eye + Good deal = worth it.

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 03:55 PM   #12
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

black friday ads came out two weeks ago

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 04:12 PM   #13
TripleDipping
Diamond Member

TripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by alby
black friday ads came out two weeks ago
You're right, most BFS ads are available online already. But I believe the hard copies with the newspaper won't be available until Thanksgiving day. It's like opening a X'mas day present, except it's on Thanksgiving.
TripleDipping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 04:14 PM   #14
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

but if you check ads beforethen, you can pick/choose/plan =]

Contact Me
Old 11-20-2007, 04:28 PM   #15
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Um, would it be unoriginal for me to say "Amen" as well?

Black Friday - is that like Bloody Sunday?

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 05:07 PM   #16
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

Got a great deal on a TV last year by going up to CC around 3am. Probably won't do it again unless it's for a big ticket item like that.
Old 11-20-2007, 05:27 PM   #17
Janett_Reno
Platinum Member

Janett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to all

My black Friday is at home with my Pioneer Pro-150fd plasma and relaxing. It is easier shopping from my lounge chair.
Janett_Reno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 05:30 PM   #18
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

Not if you are nocturnal like me. I thrive through the night.

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
Old 11-21-2007, 03:08 AM   #19
MissNU

MissNU has a spectacular aura aboutMissNU has a spectacular aura aboutMissNU has a spectacular aura about

I think I'll stay in on a friday that calls itself " black"
MissNU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 04:36 AM   #20
alby
Guru

eye check up friday morning, owned. =[

Contact Me
Old 11-21-2007, 08:42 AM   #21
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

yeah, i haven't ever camped out, but did go early (around 3 AM) twice in my life to get a big ticket item (TV one time, computer another).

i've checked out the ads this year (bfads.net), and there's nothing i need or want, so i'll be passing this year.
Old 11-21-2007, 10:36 AM   #22
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

Here's a Black Friday website for all you crazies.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 11:54 AM   #23
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

You people are such good little consumers - I bet the advertisers love y'all...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 01:23 PM   #24
MavsX
Diamond Member

haha
Old 11-21-2007, 02:36 PM   #25
ty
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alby
eye check up friday morning, owned. =[
Better be a Black Friday priced eye checkup.

Old 11-21-2007, 11:10 PM   #26
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm more than willing to camp out for the right reason. I was the first customer through the doors when the new Fry's opened up on 635.

But I'm certainly not doing that for Black Friday. I stay home on Black Friday and try not the think about the 3 years I spent working commission sales at Sears on Black Friday. *shudder*

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 11-21-2007 at 11:13 PM.
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 11:16 PM   #27
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

I like the spirit of the OP. Generally, I don't appreciate the value of fighting it out for these early sales. You are going to spend a lot of time, for one thing, that you wouldn't have had to spend if you had, say, gone late at night instead of early in the morning. And you are also going to have endure big crowds. (That is painful, at least according to me.) I always weighed the money saved against the cost, and found that the cost was more.

But if it's a tradition, it's a tradition. And if you have fun with it, more power to you.

But it still seems to me like a hell of a lot more trouble than it's worth.

I guess it's proof positive that a lot of us do have trouble to spare. And maybe that we like doing it.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 05:34 AM   #28
Smiles
Diamond Member

Smiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud of

I love traditions, so it's great you have the whole deal planned out, and that it's such a fun experience. I liked camping out for stuff back in the day (though it was usually student tix to VT games or some other excuse to hang out all night w/friends).

I once went out on a black Friday - showed up at Allen Factory Outlets around 8 AM, and hit a few clothing stores. It wasn't crowded at all (at first), but by 10:00AM a fight almost broke out in the parking lot (over a parking space). I went home pronto.

If you can be patient and watch carefully for adds and promos, you can get those "spectacular deals" at other times of the year (even on big ticket items).

Maybe (for some) it's easier to have one day of insanity though? It's just not for me - especially not in the middle of my coveted 4 consecutive days off! Now I play golf on Black Friday.
Old 12-01-2007, 08:57 AM   #29
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

I know my TV was the cheapest it has ever been on that day last year and it hasn't approached that price point since. I think it was definitely worth the effort.