Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 02-08-2009, 04:58 PM   #81
tcat075
Diamond Member

tcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond repute

I hate to be the one to bring this player up, but I feel I have to, because I've seen his name mentioned merely once this entire page. That would be Green.

I know I've been a huge Green supporter, but I'm not trying to find some excuse to get him playing time. It seems Green could be a viable option while Jet is out. At least, he's an option that you have to try.

Jet's a knock down 3 point shooter (only 36.6% this year, but shot over 40.0% in the 04, 05 and 06 seasons) with a nasty jumper and the ability to occasionally drive the lane. He's a very good fast break player. Likewise, Green is an improving 3PT shooter (He's made 11 threes total this season in 24 games, and 6 of those threes have occurred over the past 5 games. Over those 5 games, he's missed merely 6 threes as well, which is a percentage around 45%). Green can knock down the jumper and can take his man on a drive.

Green is not a good defender, but neither is Jet. I think if we were able to hide Jet's deficiancies, we can hide Green's.

Green isn't going to replace Jet's 20 PPG, but hopefully he can help. Our lineup should look something like this, imo, with Jet out:

Kidd 35 | Barea 13
Wright 15 | Green 15 | Carroll 10 | Barea 8
Howard 38 | George 10
Dirk 38 | Bass 6 | Singleton 4
Damp 24 | Bass 20 | Hollins 4

This allows our intangibles, Wright, Green and Barea to get playing time. It also gets Carroll 10 or so minutes. Really, you should look at Wright's, Green's, Barea's and Carroll's playing time as a global playing time, which they all draw from. Those 4 players get a total of 48 minutes. Whoever plays the best gets the most minutes, and if your not playing good, then you don't get as minutes. So if Wright plays well enough to earn 35 minutes, then so be it.

This also gets Bass 5-7 minutes above his usual MPG, which is good. Bass is a very good scorer, and he needs more playing time with Jet out.

Can someone figure out a way to get Hollins/Singleton a little more playing time. Its hard while keeping Bass above his usual MPG, but I really feel we need to do that. Yes, I know playing Bass at the 5 isn't the smartest thing, but you have to unless you want A) Dirk to play less, or B) play Bass at the 3 and have his man score 60.

I'd love to see how you guys would arrange the minutes with Jet out.
tcat075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-2009, 05:07 PM   #82
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

One thing stood out in your Green talk. Yeah he's not good on defense as Jet, but I'm sure they know enough to know he isn't as good of a scorer, and probably isn't as consistent either. Green is really raw on defense, probably in the same ballpark as Hollins but for their respective positions. He'll show you some flashes but he's going to get burned as well. IMO, he's probably 3rd or worst on the "list" for options to try out, might be even lower if Stack comes back.

I don't see how Barea is only going to get 13 minutes based off of what he showed he can do in this past game. I also don't think he'll get the almost 37 minutes he got last night. It might be more in the middle, mid to high 20s.

I would wait a few games before really figuring out where they are going to go with this. Everything is just pure speculation. There are things like the deadline on the horizon which could change this as well. On top of that you've got someone like Stack who can alter this as well.

Last edited by BGMaverick9; 02-08-2009 at 05:09 PM.
BGMaverick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 05:16 PM   #83
tcat075
Diamond Member

tcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond repute

I have Barea with 8 minutes at shooting guard as well, so he actually gets 21.

Don't forget, I did say this, which could mean Barea getting upwards of 30 if it so happens that way:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcat075
Really, you should look at Wright's, Green's, Barea's and Carroll's playing time as a global playing time, which they all draw from. Those 4 players get a total of 48 minutes. Whoever plays the best gets the most minutes, and if your not playing good, then you don't get as minutes. So if Wright plays well enough to earn 35 minutes, then so be it.
And yes, a trade and/or the return of Stack would change things pretty drastically. I'm just assuming neither of those happen for the moment being.

Edit: So I guess the SG position should look like this...

Wright 5 | Green 5 | Carroll 5 | Barea 0 | Whoever earns it 33 (Barea would earn it from playing the backup PG position).

Last edited by tcat075; 02-08-2009 at 05:23 PM.
Old 02-08-2009, 05:28 PM   #84
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcat075 View Post
I have Barea with 8 minutes at shooting guard as well, so he actually gets 21.

Don't forget, I did say this, which could mean Barea getting upwards of 30 if it so happens that way:

And yes, a trade and/or the return of Stack would change things pretty drastically. I'm just assuming neither of those happen for the moment being.
I think since he honestly got the first shot at the spot and he did "well" it's his to lose for the time being.

He'll just need to mainly learn to balance it all and know when he's really needed to attack and when he needs to hold the PG-fort down while Kidd is resting. If he can figure out that balance, it's going to be hard for anyone to take the spot from him while Jet is out.

I figure the "list" is:
Get Wright some extra minutes
JJ
Carroll and Green are 3 and 4 however he sees fit
then George

Stack can go anywhere from the top or the bottom of the list, it just depends. If he's healthy and has a sharp game, he can be good for 10-12 minutes. Those are some big if's though.

Edit: Wright, 5 minutes...seriously?

Last edited by BGMaverick9; 02-08-2009 at 05:30 PM.
BGMaverick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 05:36 PM   #85
tcat075
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9 View Post
I think since he honestly got the first shot at the spot and he did "well" it's his to lose for the time being.

He'll just need to mainly learn to balance it all and know when he's really needed to attack and when he needs to hold the PG-fort down while Kidd is resting. If he can figure out that balance, it's going to be hard for anyone to take the spot from him while Jet is out.

I figure the "list" is:
Get Wright some extra minutes
JJ
Carroll and Green are 3 and 4 however he sees fit
then George

Stack can go anywhere from the top or the bottom of the list, it just depends. If he's healthy and has a sharp game, he can be good for 10-12 minutes. Those are some big if's though.

Edit: Wright, 5 minutes...seriously?
If Wright is sucking, then he doesn't deserve more than 5 minutes. Otherwise, he'll get more.

I think Carroll and Green deserve a shot to see what they can do, but by no means we should anoint either JT's successor. You're right, that belongs to Barea and his 20 points last night.

Of course, even if Barea gets 40 minutes a night, around 13 are going to be playing PG. So we're still going to need a SG for 21 minutes. I suppose those 21 belong to Wright right (no pun intended) now, but Wright usually plays more like 14 minutes a game. Can he step up? Would we rather give those 7 minutes to a Carroll, Green or George (please, no...).
Old 02-08-2009, 06:23 PM   #86
eyedentifyme

eyedentifyme is a jewel in the rougheyedentifyme is a jewel in the rougheyedentifyme is a jewel in the rough

Green is the best bet to get us 20 pts in game and if I remember correctly did a good defensive job on Kobe Bryant.
eyedentifyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 08:07 PM   #87
tcat075
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyedentifyme View Post
Green is the best bet to get us 20 pts in game and if I remember correctly did a good defensive job on Kobe Bryant.
No, I think that was Wright who played well on Kobe most of the night.

And we don't need one person getting 20 ppg. We just need several people getting 5 ppg above their average. One of those people might be Green.
Old 02-12-2009, 10:39 AM   #88
TheMaverick
Golden Member

TheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcat075 View Post
No, I think that was Wright who played well on Kobe most of the night.

And we don't need one person getting 20 ppg. We just need several people getting 5 ppg above their average. One of those people might be Green.
What we need is Wright's defense, not Green's *supposed* offense.

The Legendary Mavericks:
- Mark Aguirre
- Rolando Blackman
- Tom Cruise
- Jason Kidd
- Mel Gibson
- Michael Finley
- Dirk Nowitzki
- Jason Kidd (again)
- who's next?
TheMaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 11:12 PM   #89
tcat075
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMaverick View Post
What we need is Wright's defense, not Green's *supposed* offense.
I would hardly consider his offense "supposed". He's proven he can dunk, obviously, and he's proven he's a spot-on jump and 3PT shooter.

I've never been saying that Green should take all of Wright's minutes. Wright deserves every minute he gets. Green should just get a few minutes along with Wright, maybe take George's minutes at certain times, or perhaps Carroll's.
Old 02-13-2009, 12:46 AM   #90
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Guys, it was Stackhouse who D'd up Kobe like a man. Yes, Stackhouse.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 02:18 AM   #91
TheMaverick
Golden Member

TheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkadirkastan View Post
Guys, it was Stackhouse who D'd up Kobe like a man. Yes, Stackhouse.
It was a combination of him and Green. Yes, Green.

The Legendary Mavericks:
- Mark Aguirre
- Rolando Blackman
- Tom Cruise
- Jason Kidd
- Mel Gibson
- Michael Finley
- Dirk Nowitzki
- Jason Kidd (again)
- who's next?
TheMaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 09:54 AM   #92
tcat075
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMaverick View Post
It was a combination of him and Green. Yes, Green.
Green doesn't know the nuances of defending, but he's willing and athletic. That combination makes it so he can be a decent defender at times, as he was on Kobe.