Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 09-09-2006, 07:59 AM   #41
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32
I'm not necessarily discounting Emmit. I do believe he has a claim. But if you don't believe that that OLine was great, then I don't know what to say.

Will any of Denver's OLinemen from the '00 - '05 seasons be making the HOF? Because their line, plus their scheme, made good RB's out of spares.

Here's my main point. The overall RB stats are close. Their averages, their yards, etc. But, Emmit ran as part of one of the great offenses of all time, and Barry ran for a bad team.

This, if nothing else, means you can't put Emmit significantly ahead of Barry. You just can't.
That Oline was awesome there is no question about that and yes I expect both schlereth(the espn connection) and Nalen to make the hall. I wouldnt exactly call Terrell owens a spare though. He was a beast too. Gary and anderson maybe but not TD or Portis. The interesting thing is that even though Barry came into the league a year earlier, his peak was after emmitts. His oline wasnt as good as emmitts but it was better than people act like it was.

Edit- Also in ANY sports debate, winning always ends up being the tiebreaker between players. IE Tom brady is considered better than manning because he wins. Yes Emmitt had more talent around him but those teams would not HAVE won super bowls without emmitt. Would they have won them without emmitt and with barry? Probably though i dont think they would have beaten san fran in 92 with barry isntead of emmitt. Then again, the patriots would have probably won with peyton instead of brady too.

It comes down to which style you value more. I personally think that the grating runner is much more valuable than the home run threat.

Last edited by Five-ofan; 09-09-2006 at 08:05 AM.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-2006, 08:13 AM   #42
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan
That Oline was awesome there is no question about that and yes I expect both schlereth(the espn connection) and Nalen to make the hall. I wouldnt exactly call Terrell owens a spare though. He was a beast too. Gary and anderson maybe but not TD or Portis. The interesting thing is that even though Barry came into the league a year earlier, his peak was after emmitts. His oline wasnt as good as emmitts but it was better than people act like it was.

Edit- Also in ANY sports debate, winning always ends up being the tiebreaker between players. IE Tom brady is considered better than manning because he wins. Yes Emmitt had more talent around him but those teams would not HAVE won super bowls without emmitt. Would they have won them without emmitt and with barry? Probably though i dont think they would have beaten san fran in 92 with barry isntead of emmitt. Then again, the patriots would have probably won with peyton instead of brady too.

It comes down to which style you value more. I personally think that the grating runner is much more valuable than the home run threat.
Terrell Davis was an above average RB who peaked for a few years behind that line. Portis is pretty much the same, although a bit better. The others are spares.

The winner tie breaker only counts for QB's IMO. I contend that Barry would have been just as valuable on the Cowboys. He would have been a consistent yards eater behind a line like that.

In fact, I think he would have been a lot like Willie Parker, only a lot better. Taking what his line gives him for positive yards most plays, but if one LB misses, watch out.

I actually think you've failed to mention that one aspect that Emmit clearly had over Barry, and that was versatility. Emmit was a better blocker and a better receiver out of the backfield.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 08:28 AM   #43
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32
Terrell Davis was an above average RB who peaked for a few years behind that line. Portis is pretty much the same, although a bit better. The others are spares.

The winner tie breaker only counts for QB's IMO. I contend that Barry would have been just as valuable on the Cowboys. He would have been a consistent yards eater behind a line like that.

In fact, I think he would have been a lot like Willie Parker, only a lot better. Taking what his line gives him for positive yards most plays, but if one LB misses, watch out.

I actually think you've failed to mention that one aspect that Emmit clearly had over Barry, and that was versatility. Emmit was a better blocker and a better receiver out of the backfield.
If you think terrell davis was just an above average rb and portis is just a bit better i dont know what to tell you. Portis rushed for 1500 yards last year and the skins certainly dont have a great oline. TD was a monster. As for emmitt i knew he was a better blocker but there is nothing to really show that and i was gonna get to the receiving next. I disagree about the winning tie breaker only applying to qbs. I think to some it might but it shouldnt. Any position that is close should go to the winner and emmitt was the winner of these two. The funny thing is I dont think Emmitt would have been as good in Detroit as barry was nor do i think barry in dallas would have been as good as emmitt was in dallas.
Old 10-09-2006, 10:55 PM   #44
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future

Bump.
Old 10-09-2006, 11:06 PM   #45
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan
The cards arent a sleeper. Everyone i know is saying they are a sleeper which means they arent. Personally I would go with
Washington
minnesotta
Tampa
St Louis

Wildcards
Seattle
Minny

Afc
Colts
NE
Cincy
Denver

Wildcards
Pittsburg
Jacksonville

Colts over the bucs in the super bowl.

mvp-regular season, Tom Brady
Mvp Super Bowl- Peyton manning

First fired coach, Brian Billick
Haha, wow, did i blow this. The bucs, i mean good lord and no bears in the playoffs. haha, this is as bad as the zito isnt an ace post.
Old 10-09-2006, 11:14 PM   #46
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

yes id like to call back my Cardinals pick..... even though Leinart's going to be doing well....
Old 10-09-2006, 11:21 PM   #47
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashtymavsfan13
NFC Division Winners

Cowboys
Bears
Panthers
Seahawks

Wild Cards

Falcons
Giants (Cardinals are my sleeper pick to possibly take this spot)

AFC Division Winners

Colts
Steelers
Broncos
Patriots

AFC Wild cards

Bengals
Chargers

NFC Playoffs

Cowboys over Giants
Bears over Falcons

Panthers over Cowboys
Seahawks over Bears

Panthers over Seahawks

AFC Playoffs

Bengals over Patriots
Steelers over Chargers

Colts over Steelers
Bengals over Broncos

Colts over Bengals

Superbowl

Panthers over Colts

MVP: Steve Smith of the Panthers
I actually did pretty well on these.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 11:05 PM   #48
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future

Bump.
Old 10-23-2006, 11:18 PM   #49
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Colts
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote