Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 05-24-2023, 11:23 AM   #1
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
I am putting zero hope in free agency. We have really three possibilities

1) We re-sign Kyrie to the max and are in cap hell-- not only don't have money for FA, but incur some major penalties like losing picks

2) Kyrie walks. We suddenly have a lot less talent, but about one max slot.

3) We keep Kyrie and spend our picks/talent to clear some cap. We still don't have room for a big player probably but we could potentially drop 9-10mill on someone like Hachimura. Would it be worth it to trade #10 for powder that could only clear around one MLE slot?
That's why it's smarter for fans not to panic if we don't make earth shattering moves this summer because we are in a weak position for that.

I'm leaning far more into keeping 10. We need more young talent...not less. Hardy and Green are not only fun to watch, but they are actually two of our best players. The naysayers say we need "right now" players, and yet it took a 20 year old Hardy a jason-kidd-won't-play-me half a season to come on.

That's why some of us are so high on TJD. He is a ready now Bam. And he actually has talent. We NEED players who are overall talented....not just do one or two things while Luka runs himself to death.

So, keep the pick, dump some of the dead weight off the roster for the best moves you can make this summer, and see what you can do at the deadline.

Last edited by DevinHarriswillstart; 05-24-2023 at 11:24 AM.
DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2023, 01:10 PM   #2
purplefrog
Platinum Member

purplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond repute

There is a part of me that would like to see the Mavs do a sign-and-trade sending Kyrie to LA. In return, I would like to see the Mavs receive back Bamba, Hachimura, and Beasley + the Lakers 2023 first round draft pick (#17). Mavs keep their #10 pick, add another first rounder, and improve their front court. Beasley can log some minutes at SG along with Hardy. This move would help develop a roster for the future and perhaps take the Mavs out of desperation mode. Mavs can keep trying to find a trade for THJ, McGee, and/or Bertrans but take Green and Hardy off the table (unless they somehow find a trade for a borderline all star). If LeBron wants Kyrie would the Lakers make this trade?
Old 05-24-2023, 05:29 PM   #3
Zeus

Zeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
That's why it's smarter for fans not to panic if we don't make earth shattering moves this summer because we are in a weak position for that.

I'm leaning far more into keeping 10. We need more young talent...not less. Hardy and Green are not only fun to watch, but they are actually two of our best players. The naysayers say we need "right now" players, and yet it took a 20 year old Hardy a jason-kidd-won't-play-me half a season to come on.

That's why some of us are so high on TJD. He is a ready now Bam. And he actually has talent. We NEED players who are overall talented....not just do one or two things while Luka runs himself to death.

So, keep the pick, dump some of the dead weight off the roster for the best moves you can make this summer, and see what you can do at the deadline.
Dude I have come around to totally agree with your view here. Let's add young talent and forget the must win now mode that has continued to lead to poor roster building. If Green, Hardy, #10, Luka continue to grow together who knows if they get in as a 7 or 8 seed they don't make a run next year and even better chance the next year. Miami's run has kind of changed my mind on that from a just get in perspective. Like Jimmy, Luka steps up big time in the playoffs. The elephant in the room is that Luka doesn't have as much leverage as we all have thought. Any team he would go to would have to give up a lot of assets and picks to make a trade happen before he is an unrestricted FA so he can't easily force his way out next year. Let's collectively chill and just start adding young talent.
Zeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2023, 03:05 AM   #4
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post

This is exactly the best strategy going forward imo.

I'd add that we should do all we can to move Kyrie in a S&T deal and acquire any picks or players around Luka's age as possible. Good Lord, our superstar is 5 years from being in the middle of his prime so I dont see the extreme urgency to risk completely destroying the team by not being just a little patient.

We have 3 young players and a high pick that can be great building blocks for the next decade plus.
Why risk it all now?
rimrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2023, 07:36 AM   #5
tap2390
Diamond Member

tap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond repute

I?m on board with Kyrie for S&T Reaves and S&T Rui