Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 10-23-2003, 09:40 AM   #1
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold
Default Yao Ming Crushes Nuggets

Yao Ming, Rockets crush Nuggets 102-79
( 2003-10-23 15:20) (Agencies)

Yao Ming scored 29 points and had nine rebounds to lead the Houston Rockets (news) to a 102-79 victory over the Denver Nuggets (news) in a preseason game Wednesday night.

Playing just 28 minutes, Yao shot 11-of-14 from the field and 7-of-9 from the free throw line as the Rockets won their third straight. Steve Francis added 15 points and Cuttino Mobley, back after missing a game with a left hip strain, added 14.

Anthony Miller led the Nuggets with 17 points.

Yao missed the first two preseason games playing for the Chinese national team. In the five games since, he has averaged 20.2 points and 9.1 rebounds, both team highs.

Midway through the third quarter, Yao scored six points on a 12-0 run that gave the Rockets a 62-46 lead, their biggest of the night. He had 12 in the quarter as Houston ended with a 76-59 lead.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's Yao's stats for the preseason.

MPG: 28.6
PPG: 20.2
RPG: 9.2
BPG: 1.8
FG Pct: 67.3%
FT Pct: 90%

Big Yao is averaging almost a 20/10 in under 30 minutes. He's shooting at a ridiculous rate from the field, blocking shots and knocking down free throws at a Stockton-like level. I don't think the world is prepared for what Yao is about to do to them. If his opponents were smart, they'd be stocking up on KY Jelly and Preparation H. This man(?) is about to break all the rules of basketball. He is the most intimidating physical presence to come around since Shaq. In fact, there will be a time in the very near fuure when Yao will make Shaq look the girl Shaq used to make other people look like.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-2003, 09:44 AM   #2
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold
Default RE:Yao Ming Crushes Nuggets

I got to say that I would love to see Yao make Shaq his bitch. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-23-2003, 09:51 AM   #3
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Yao Ming Crushes Nuggets

Any battle between Pig Miller and Yao is bound to be a bit one-sided, but generally less than enthralling...

Old 10-23-2003, 10:12 AM   #4
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

Brad Miller's preseason stats:

MPG: 27.9
PPG: 9.6
RPG: 6.0
BPG: 0.8
FG Pct: 48.8%
FT Pct: 82.8%
Old 10-23-2003, 10:19 AM   #5
DNNF
Golden Member

DNNF will become famous soon enoughDNNF will become famous soon enough

you already see the effectiveness of Jeff Van Gundy. The offense seems to finally go through Yao like it should be. Also, he decided to bench Cutino Mobley and put Jimmy Jackson in the line up instead. This is a good move for the mavs as Jimmy Jackson is not a selfish prick the Mobley is.

DNNF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2003, 10:52 AM   #6
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

That looks to me like BMill is overachieving in the preseason... Just see how good he looks while playing against Shaq, Kg, and Dirk instead of Theo Ratliff, Jarron Collins, and Sam Clancy on most nights...
Old 10-23-2003, 11:24 AM   #7
bogey
Banned

bogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the rough

Yao is poised for a huge year. I think he realizes that he can play wiht these guys now and there is no thought in his mind that he can be pushed around. Last year, he looked tentative and worried at times. Now he will settle in and play large.
bogey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2003, 12:08 PM   #8
OutletPass
Diamond Member

OutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really nice

To my son, the Sock:

Told Ya' !!!!!!!!

The West just got stronger (again)

Originally posted by LRB:
Quote:
I got to say that I would love to see Yao make Shaq his bitch.
That would be "bitch and a half", LRB.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Old 10-23-2003, 12:29 PM   #9
madape
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: Evilmav2
Quote:

That looks to me like BMill is overachieving in the preseason... Just see how good he looks while playing against Shaq, Kg, and Dirk instead of Theo Ratliff, Jarron Collins, and Sam Clancy on most nights...

Those stats certainly don't look like someone who just signed a six year, $68 million contract. Didn't Sac learn from the Keon Clark fiasco that run-of-the-mill NBA centers should NOT be paid like Shaqille O'Neil? This team is going to rot and decay around the corpses of Divac and Webber. If they think bums like Brad Miller and Tony Massenburg are going to enable them to keep that window open for a few more years, they need to be comitted. I think Miller's stat line is enough evidence to convince a judge to lock up the Maloofs and throw away the key. At least the Mavs won't have to worry about the Kings much until all these salaries come off the books... which should be around the year 2009.

But isn't it just like life? Out with the old, in with the new. Meet the new boss, same as the old boss. Yao is NOT going to be fun to play against in the 15 years or so more he's got left in the tank as a Rocket.
Old 10-23-2003, 12:52 PM   #10
NYCdog

NYCdog will become famous soon enoughNYCdog will become famous soon enough

Yeah, Ive noticed his play of late...........in both Sac Kings games.

In the home and home series, he made the whole Kings frontcourt his beeyatch's in both games. And then last night........

And speaking of there defese improving under JVG, the Rockets held the Kings to 78 and 72 points in both games, which were both wins. The very same Kings that exploded for 121 points last night.

ESPN is showing the Rockets vs. Spurs game Friday. This will be a good test for Yao and the Rockets to see just how much they have improved.

Even though its preseason............so far so good for them.
Old 10-23-2003, 01:36 PM   #11
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

you know who BMill's preseason numbers remind me of: Scott Pollard if you gave him 27 minutes a game....how funny...

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2003, 02:01 PM   #12
madape
Diamond Member

Hilarious
Old 10-23-2003, 02:02 PM   #13
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

and you know which team has the best defensively minded 7'6" center.

EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2003, 12:30 AM   #14
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future

man, ming was an unstoppable beast against the spurs.

hes gonna be a monster this year. i shudder to think of the destruction he's gonna inflict upon the league.

and houston looked MUCH improved.

while san antonio looked really spare-ish.
aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2003, 12:40 AM   #15
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Yao impressed me tonight. I tend to think people predicting greatness for him need to tap the breaks, now I don't know. His downfall will be fatigue since the govt. makes him play year around. Tonight he was gassed by the 3rd quarter.
Old 10-25-2003, 08:58 AM   #16
madape
Diamond Member

Did you see him post up Horry, spin baseline and jam in his mug? I'd swear it was Hakeem out there if Yao wasn't 7'5"! He made Tim Duncan look like Rasho Nesterovic. He made Rasho Nesterovic look like Bruno Sundov. He was absolutly dominating some of the "best" post players in the league.
Old 10-25-2003, 09:23 AM   #17
Hitman
Golden Member

Hitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to all

I saw this game, and I can say beyond a shadow of a doubt...

If Yao improves his conditioning a little bit, he will be, by far, the best player in the entire world very soon.

He can be that good.

Put Your Brand On Everyone's Lips: http://www.java-ads.com
Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2003, 05:28 PM   #18
Shaq Attack2

Shaq Attack2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: Hitman
I saw this game, and I can say beyond a shadow of a doubt...

If Yao improves his conditioning a little bit, he will be, by far, the best player in the entire world very soon.

He can be that good.
Whoa there, calm it down. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Anyway, I agree, Yao is freaking awesome and much better this season. I'll have to see him play more to gauge whether he's better in the post than Shaq (not likely), Duncan (not likely), or Webber (could be). Honestly though, his post play wasn't great compared to those previously mentioned players, but definitely Top 5 stuff it seems.
Shaq Attack2 is offline   Reply With Quote