Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-25-2004, 12:29 PM   #1
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Finley takes first step toward return

Finley takes first step toward return
Injured forward gets back on court; may play later this week

By EDDIE SEFKO / The Dallas Morning News

SAN ANTONIO – Michael Finley made his return to the basketball court Wednesday, shooting jump shots for an hour and running end-to-end on the court.

It was his first on-court action since spraining his right ankle Nov. 9. Finley is not yet ready to return to games, but he said he's getting closer.

"Two things have to happen," Finley said. "I have to be confident in the ankle when I go back on the court, and I have to be able to do certain things.

"Right now, I can't do those things."

Finley would not guess whether he would be able to play against Portland on Friday or Memphis on Saturday.

"It's not where I want it to be, but we're getting closer," Finley said. "I'm not putting a specific timetable on it. If you do that, you're disappointed if you don't make it. We haven't had any major setbacks."

Finley would like to go through at least one practice before returning to game action.

This is only the second serious ankle sprain Finley has had in his career. He also turned his ankle during the last regular-season game in his rookie season. He remembered trying to practice the next day and hoping to play in the playoffs. But pushing the ankle took its toll.

"That pushed me back maybe a month," he said.

He isn't going to make the same mistake this time.

Seats for soldiers:

The Mavericks will have all front-row ticket holders give up their seats for the Atlanta Hawks game Dec. 18 so that they can be given to soldiers who have been part of the war in Iraq.

Owner Mark Cuban and long-time season-ticket holder Neal Hawks came up with the idea to give seats to soldiers, many of whom have been injured, and their families.

"Neal did this last year with his tickets, and this year he asked if we could get the whole front row," Cuban said. "I hope it's an idea that every team does."

Playing through it:

Jason Terry is "nowhere close" to 100 percent, his sprained ankle still curtailing his ability to do certain things on the court.

"But I'm here for the battle," he said. "Sometimes you get a little tentative because you worry about rolling it again. And it's still a little painful at times."

Time is the only thing that could help Terry, but he said he does not plan to sit out any games.

Feeling strange in SA:

Avery Johnson spent much of his playing career in San Antonio, but his coaching career is beginning in Dallas.

The assistant to Don Nelson admits it isn't easy adjusting to the coaching life.

"I've been going through a lot of weird stuff," he said. "You can't go out on the court and control things like I used to. I always took things home. I had to because I knew David [Robinson] was out playing his sax or the piano. But now, it's worse."

Johnson is not your typical coach. Two examples are his friendship with San Antonio coach Gregg Popovich, with whom he had dinner Tuesday, and the fact that religion is a major part of Johnson's life.

"Coaches don't fraternize anymore," Johnson said. "When we're on the court, we want to beat each other's behind. But Pop and I will always be friends."

And as for his religion?

"Nobody ever called me the choir boy," Johnson said. "If they don't understand what you're saying, then you have to get on a level they will understand.

"It's like Reggie White used to be. He'd tear you apart on the field, then pray for you. He's a better man than me. I just want to tear you apart."