Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 08-25-2003, 07:29 PM   #1
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

mavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of light
Default Yao Ming Suffering From Hypertension

Yao Ming Suffering From Hypertension
By Bill "The Rocket Guy" Ingram
Aug 25, 2003, 08:52

The Rockets sensation may have to cut his NBA career short due to stress and hypertension.

Reports out of China today have Yao Ming suffering from severe hypertension and talking about cutting his NBA career short. The 23-year-old Yao claims that the stress of basketball and the continuous media attention is taking a toll on him, both physically and psychologically, and that his body may not be able to take the pounding for much longer.

"Every time when leaving the playground, I am out of breath with my feet heavy as leaded," Yao told China's People's Daily newspaper on Sunday. This is not the first time we've heard it either. Houston coach Rudy Tomjanovich took fire for his decision to use Yao sparingly last season, often using Kelvin Cato for as much as half of games to preserve Yao's strength. Now it appears that Rudy T was justified in doing so. The most common answer from Yao when we asked how he felt last season was, "I'm tired." It makes one wonder how much longer he can really play a full NBA schedule and then return to China and play all summer without a break.

The potential that Yao Ming has shown after just one year in the NBA would certainly seem to tag him as the next big star of the league, but a situation like this could sabotage his career before that potential canbe realized. Obviously the Rockets will be keeping a close eye on this situation, and here at HOOPSWORLD we'll have additional information as it becomes available. Mike Monlux shars additional information in today's NEWS@ HOOPSWORLD Houston column.
Old 08-25-2003, 07:49 PM   #2
Mandyahl
Diamond Member

Mandyahl will become famous soon enoughMandyahl will become famous soon enough
Default RE: Yao Ming Suffering From Hypertension- may have to cut his nba career short?

what a load of crap.
Old 08-25-2003, 08:03 PM   #3
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

mavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of light
Default Yao Ming Suffering From Hypertension- may have to cut his nba career short?

Quote:
Originally posted by: Mandyahl
what a load of crap.

Its coming from hoopsworld and so I am not surprised by your reaction.
Old 08-25-2003, 08:21 PM   #4
Hitman
Golden Member

Hitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to all
Default Yao Ming Suffering From Hypertension- may have to cut his nba career short?

http://english.peopledaily.com.cn/20...5_123044.shtml

Put Your Brand On Everyone's Lips: http://www.java-ads.com
Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2003, 08:32 PM   #5
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

Thanks Hitman, this means its really true.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yao Ming Suffers from Illness, Tiredness and Needs Rest
Yao Ming, who is no more than 23 years, has astonishingly become a hypertension patient, which is a disease prevailing among middle-and-old-aged people. "Every time when leaving the playground, I am out of breath with my feet heavy as leaded." When talking about his feelings, Yao Ming lost his smiles looking tired.

Yao Ming is Sick

Yao Ming, who is no more than 23 years, has astonishingly become a hypertension patient, which is a disease prevailing among middle-and-old-aged people. "Every time when leaving the playground, I am out of breath with my feet heavy as leaded." When talking about his feelings, Yao Ming lost his smiles looking tired.

Yao Ming is Tired

As soon as the end of the NBA conventional matches, Yao Ming came bank to China and joined the Chinese Men's Basketball Team to prepare for Asian Basketball Championship. After the closed training in Qinhuangdao they took part in the mobile matches in the nine Chinese cities.

However, what makes him feel tired is not the matches and training but the social engagements. Yao Ming has sacrificed his private time and space. During his break, he has to accept numerous interviews, sign for his supporters and have pictures taken with them. He can meet his fans even in the toilet. When he stayed in hotel, he was so frequently disturbed by the servers and guards that he got an illusion of somebody's knocking at the door although nobody is out there.

Yao Ming Needs Rest

When becoming a famous brand, he has to attend continuously a series of commercial or business activities in his name only; when answering almost the same questions at various occasions, he has to make a performance, his unique "Yao Ming¡¯s humor", or he will be regarded as to have taken a perfunctory attitude; when having pictures taken with others, he has to force himself to smile, or he will be thought to be pompous. Yao Ming has long been tired of being made an excellent piece of goods "Yao Ming" by brand instead of a member of Chinese Men's Basketball Team.

On the afternoon of Aug. 21, Yao Ming got an extra rest of half a day, which is a glory for the members of the Team preparing for the Asian Basketball Championships and is the only protecting measure for Yao Ming taken by the Team.

The pressure from the matches, the disturbances from the media and fans, the participation to the commercial activities and the psychological burdens to keep his own

"good reputation", Yao Ming unavoidably become sick and tired and need rest. According to Yao Ming, he thought he could be able to play till he's 35 years old; however, he cannot go on playing any more when he is 30 according to the present situation.

Yao Ming's being taken as No.1 of the NBA new players, his entrance into the All-Star team and his satisfactory performance in NBA and so on and so forth have become the favorite topics. However, when we give thump up to the great influence and glory Yao Ming has brought to Chinese sports circle and even the whole China, when we are calculating on his tangible and intangible assets, we should also leave some private time and space for him to adjust his physical and mental situation, for he has brought laughter and enjoyment to all of us. He should not suffer from our excessive dote on him.

So, let's help Yao Ming.

By PD Online Staff Liu Wei

Old 08-25-2003, 09:01 PM   #6
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Yao Ming Suffering From Hypertension- may have to cut his nba career short?

I think Mandyahl nailed it. What a load of crap.

There is no way Ming doesn't play and play well. The guy may be tired, but all rookies get tired. It only gets better with experience.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 08:29 AM   #7
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

if you actually read between the lines..i don't actually see it affecting his NBA career but possibly affecting how much he plays during the off season as he gets older..
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 11:12 AM   #8
TheKid
Diamond Member

TheKid is on a distinguished road

That's exactly what I was going to say. He didn't want to come out and say he wanted to reduce his playing with the China Basketball league and concentrate more on the NBA, they would have a fit. He wants the CBA to say, "take this summer off Yao."
Old 08-26-2003, 03:13 PM   #9
Nicky31

Nicky31 is on a distinguished road

I agree with Mandyahl that is a load of crap. I agree that in the future this will take a toll on him, but not until he is in his 30's. Look at Nowitzki, and how much he's playing and praticing his game in the offseason, and Dirk's a year older than him. Yao should really make a choice about what league he wants to play for China or the NBA if his conditioning is that bad.
Nicky31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2003, 03:57 PM   #10
mmmfast

mmmfast is a name known to allmmmfast is a name known to allmmmfast is a name known to allmmmfast is a name known to allmmmfast is a name known to allmmmfast is a name known to allmmmfast is a name known to allmmmfast is a name known to allmmmfast is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally posted by: mavsfanforever
Thanks Hitman, this means its really true. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Yao Ming has sacrificed his private time and space. During his break, he has to accept numerous interviews, sign for his supporters and have pictures taken with them. He can meet his fans even in the toilet. When he stayed in hotel, he was so frequently disturbed by the servers and guards that he got an illusion of somebody's knocking at the door although nobody is out there.

Sounds like Yao just needs to take some private time and relax. If he is being disturbed in his hotel by servants AND GUARDS...he needs new staff that will do their job and get him a little space when he needs it.

All "superstars" in this league go through an adjustment to the media scrutiny that follows fame and success - maybe should hang with the blazers and learn to chill.
Old 08-28-2003, 10:46 PM   #11
NYCdog

NYCdog will become famous soon enoughNYCdog will become famous soon enough

Its a load of Grade A Bullshit. And I have the proof

If you want answers, just go straight to the guy himself. This is from Yao, courtesy of his website.

And BTW...........just for info purposes, Yao is not real skinny anymore. He is now a ROBUST 320 pounds. And unlike Big Boy Shaq, most of it is NOT a fatty lard substance that feels like jello.

August 2003
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As I'm sure many of you have heard, it's been reported that I have high blood pressure. Well, I wanted to reassure all of you that my condition has been greatly exaggerated in the news and rumors that I suffer from hypertension are false. Since the end of the NBA regular season, I have been practicing and playing with the Chinese National Team nonstop. I have had to endure the demanding commitments of the National Team, causing me to feel significant fatigue and stress, as revealed during a routine physical checkup. A thorough follow-up to the initial examination was also completed a couple days ago, which concluded that my health is back to normal, after I had several days of rest. It was determined that the fatigue and high blood pressure was caused by the grueling National Team schedule, as well as a lack of sleep due to inadequate security at team hotel accommodations.

I have been traveling with the Chinese National Team nonstop for 3 weeks, playing every other day in a different city throughout China and Hong Kong. I have been exhausted because of the poor security at the National Team games, a lack of crowd control before and during the games, a lack of protection for Chinese National Team players, a lack of security for players off the court, too many public appearances commitments by the Chinese National Team, and incessant fan disturbances at the team hotel.

As a precaution, I had a complete medical examination a couple days ago, which revealed a normal blood pressure of 110 over 70. After a bit of rest in Beijing, I am back in good health.

I hope that future events the National Team conducts will be better organized. I hope that the National Team will take into consideration players' safety and mental and physical health. I do not think this kind of schedule is beneficial for the team reaching its peak performance; my fellow teammates and I are all too fatigued after this unnecessary road trip. I think I feel perfectly fine now that I have had some rest; if other players are going through what I'm going through, they would have experienced high blood pressure as well.

Yao

And a link to the actual story.
www.yaoming.net/meetyao_daylife.aspx

And one more thing, Bill Ingram writes for HoopsWorld.

Why do people even trust that site? What a freakin joke!
Old 08-28-2003, 10:50 PM   #12
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

NYCDog- hoopsworld is NOT a reliable news source and never will be.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2003, 11:17 PM   #13
NYCdog

NYCdog will become famous soon enoughNYCdog will become famous soon enough

I know that Drbio, hence the quote

Quote:
Why do people even trust that site? What a freakin joke!