Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 12-20-2001, 11:03 AM   #1
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

It's going to be a really good game. Both play similar styles of basketball. Our big three is better than their big three and Nash, Fin, and Nowitzki will have to prove it in order for us to win.

Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-2001, 12:34 PM   #2
TheKid
Diamond Member

TheKid is on a distinguished road

I think this game will be won or lost on the boards. Dirk needs some help, they have Mason, Ham, Johnson all who attack the boards hard. Dirk is going to need some help tonight on the boards.
Old 12-20-2001, 12:59 PM   #3
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

Hoopsmeister has a spectacular aura aboutHoopsmeister has a spectacular aura about

Agreed on the boards Kid. Winner should hit at least 110 points.
Corollary #1: If you put the ball through the hoop more than the other guy, you win.
Corollary #2: If you can't do that, get off the floor.
Hoopsmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2001, 03:01 PM   #4
Rod1975
Golden Member

Rod1975 is on a distinguished road

This is gonna be a fun game to watch. Look for Dirk to light em up, since there is no one on that team that can come close to guarding him.

First one to 100 wins.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Old 12-20-2001, 04:08 PM   #5
FineCubanCigar
Golden Member

FineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of light

Darvin Ham might be able to, this will be a great game. Hope we get to see D.H. soon.
Old 12-20-2001, 09:01 PM   #6
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

The Mavs have come out with a better start. They have the rebounding edge as of right now and a lead of 26-14 with 3 minutes left in the first half.

Finley and Howard are the only ones shooting the ball well right now. Fin is 4-7 and Howard is 2-2.
Old 12-20-2001, 09:10 PM   #7
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

Hoopsmeister has a spectacular aura aboutHoopsmeister has a spectacular aura about

Exceptional first quarter, particularly on defense--they've held the Bucks to 33% shooting and are +6 on the boards.

Finley is shooting very well, Howard is actually playing like an NBA starter. Dirk's shot seems really off but he is playing very good defense. Nash, I'm not sure yet, playing hard but not shooting well. Hardaway, well, its early.

Biggest danger is that the Mavs will get complacent and the Bucks are a team just as capable as coming back as the Mavs were last game.
Corollary #1: If you put the ball through the hoop more than the other guy, you win.
Old 12-20-2001, 09:15 PM   #8
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

The Mavs as a whole are showing a lot of energy, very impressive 1st quarter.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2001, 09:23 PM   #9
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure why they went away from Howard, he was actually hitting his shots.

Fin has missed his shots now and needs to find it quickly with Dirk out with 3 fouls.

Nash is the only other one that is shooting well other than Najera's dunk.

C'mon Mavs, you shouldn't have let them back in the game.
Old 12-20-2001, 09:38 PM   #10
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

The Bucks closed the gap and made a game of it. I didn't figure the Mavs would get an easy victory tonight.
Old 12-20-2001, 09:41 PM   #11
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

We are playing very well tonight.

Howard is aggressive on the boards. Dirk is aggressive on the boards. Finley shooting well. Nash assisting well.

A really great game. Damn, I'm impressed with Dirk. Hell, he isn't "scoring" as much the last few games... but his overall game is great.

Old 12-20-2001, 09:47 PM   #12
MavsFanFinley
Guru

59-53 at the half.

I was happy to see the Mavs come out with an agressive start instead of another slow one.

Howard is scoring and getting to the line while rebounding.

Dirk isn't scoring, but has like 8 rebounds already to go along with 3 assists and a couple blocks.

Nash is scoring when needed, has some impressive rebounds to go along with 6 assists already.

Finley has taken the most shots, but thank God, he's hit half of them. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Manning isn't a threat offensively, but he is grabbing the rebounds.

Hardaway shooting too much for my taste, but did hit a couple big 3's when we needed them.

Eschmeyer and Najera chipping in too.
Old 12-20-2001, 09:52 PM   #13
Road Rage

Road Rage is on a distinguished road

I have to admit I'm glad to finally see something out of Howard tonight that I have not seen all year: pure hustle and aggressiveness. He seems to be playing a little more inspired tonight. He's working the boards, challenging shots and taking it strong to the rim.

I, like most people, have been down on Juwan this year. Maybe not quite as much as some, but certainly he's been playing way below his potential. I think tonight we are finally getting a glimpse of what he can bring to the table. I suppose maybe he has felt that being a high paid veteran the game was just going to come to him and he wasn't going to have to work too hard for it. He appears to be trying really hard tonight though. Hopefully he will keep it up.

Is he worth $20 million? Not by a long shot. But let's face it, I just don't see anyone taking on his big contract anytime soon. For all of you out there who want him traded, it's more likely to happen if he's playing up to his potential, so I think we can agree that it's in everyone's best interest that he play better.
Road Rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2001, 10:15 PM   #14
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

Nash has more made 3s of his own than the entire Bucks team.
Old 12-20-2001, 10:17 PM   #15
MFFL
Guru

We're leading after three. The Mavs have a great record when they lead after 3 quarters.
Old 12-20-2001, 10:20 PM   #16
MavsFanFinley
Guru

Is Dirk struggling as bad as it looks online?

He's ,like, 3-11 from the field. He does have 11 or 12 rebounds and 3 or 4 assists to go with the 2 blocks.

But, he has those 4 turnovers and 4 fouls and picked up another T in this game.

Just wondering, if he looks better than what online is suggesting.
Old 12-20-2001, 10:24 PM   #17
MFFL
Guru

Dirk looks fine - his shot just isn't falling. Unfortunately it happens sometimes; fortunately the Mavs are still playing well (thanks in huge part to Dirk aggressiveness on the boards).
Old 12-20-2001, 10:28 PM   #18
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

Dirk's shot is definitely not falling. I wonder if the coaches will spend some time feeding him the way they did Finley when he was in a slump. But in all other aspects of the game he looks really good. He has been a monster on the boards despite the limited time he's had due to fouls.
Old 12-20-2001, 10:33 PM   #19
MFFL
Guru

What an amazing rebound and score for Najera. He rebounded the ball and flipped it up for the bucket all in one motion - what a great play!
Old 12-20-2001, 10:38 PM   #20
Bayliss

Dirk is fine... just not shooting that well. Of course he hasn't had many opportunities to shoot **shrugs shoulders**

Old 12-20-2001, 10:44 PM   #21
MFFL
Guru

Well that was suprisingly easy. I didn't think we'd roll up the Bucks that way with Dirk being as cold as he was. Great game all the way around. I especially like the fact that Dirk crashed the boards the way he did.
Old 12-20-2001, 11:16 PM   #22
Bayliss

Just curious... what seems to be the reason for Dirk's foul trouble the last two nights?

And on a side note I would like to see the Mavs give Dirk a clear out sometime like they do for Nash and Finley.
Old 12-20-2001, 11:20 PM   #23
MavsFanFinley
Guru

Good win for the Mavs with Finley and Nash picking up the load offensively.

Finley:

16-31, 33pts, 8rbs, 8as, 1stl, 2to

Nash:

12-18, 33pts, 4rbs, 8as, 1stl, 3to, 1blk

What a 3rd quarter for the both of them. Here's a snippet from the espn recap:

Finley and Nash took over after halftime, combining for 26 of Dallas' 28 third-quarter points as the Mavericks built an 87-75 lead entering the final quarter.

Old 12-21-2001, 04:28 PM   #24
Flying Tiger
Golden Member

Flying Tiger will become famous soon enoughFlying Tiger will become famous soon enough

Did you see where Fin got his dumk semi-rejected, but still put it through with the floater...very sweet.
And how about Nash's block!
Old 12-21-2001, 05:40 PM   #25
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

dirk struggled offensively...however, he is doing exactly what you have to do when you're struggling in one area..pick it up in other areas.
he was very good defensively and picked up 12 more boards.

that is what i was wanting earlier out of finley when he struggled offensively..he wasn't necessarily doing the little things...but now he seems to be on track with all aspects of his game.

dirk will come out of a shooting funk...everyone goes through them.

this is what the mavs need..when one guys not hot..they need the other two of the big three to step up.....and the guy that's struggling offensively, it is impreative that they do the little things to help the team win
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote