Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 12-24-2001, 01:22 AM   #1
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

Should Nellie put Dirk on the IR? I really would not want to see Dirk go on it however it may be best. His left ankle is an ongoing problem this year until he has surgery this offseason (Nellie hinted that earlier) but now with him hurting his right ankle, he really needs to be cautious. Better to let him sit a couple of weeks and get well than battle the ankles all season.

I may be jumping the gun... what do y'all think? Put him on IL or keep him playing?
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-24-2001, 01:30 AM   #2
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

the problem really hasn't been the same injury.
the last time he missed a game..it was because of a different ankle injury to the left ankle...last game, it was from the right ankle.

what do you want to do..put him on the IL just to protect against ankle injuries in general?
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2001, 07:56 AM   #3
K!DD

K!DD is on a distinguished road

It's a tough question. Dirk can't be at 100 % if he continues spraining his ankles every second game. A rest would be good for him, no doubt. But this is the NBA, you don't have time to rest one of your key players, if you want a good position going into the playoffs. Dirk is not seriously injured, his ankles might be weak right now and that's a problem if he will sprain them again, but I just hope that all this bad luck is over now. Dirk is tough, he can play through injuries as we all know. And he wants to play. There is nobody on this team who can replace him. So if the Mavs want home court advantage in the first round of the playoffs, they need to play him, if he's not seriosly injured.
K!DD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2001, 10:36 AM   #4
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

what do you want to do..put him on the IL just to protect against ankle injuries in general?

Nope. But I would like to see him **fully** recover from the right ankle sprain. And the only way to do that is to give him rest. The left ankle will bother him all year... I don't want to see the right ankle bother him all year too.

Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2001, 10:58 AM   #5
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Putting Dirk on the IR would mean he has to miss 5 games. I don't want to lose 5 in a row. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

He can handle it. The break for the All-Star game is coming up and while Dirk will make the team, he's probably only going to play 10-15 minutes.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2001, 01:58 PM   #6
The Crippler
Diamond Member

The Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant future

Dirk is going to continue to tweak his ankles because of the way he plays. He bounces around a lot, and also takes it strong to the basket. Unfortunately, that will lead to him stepping on other peoples feet, get hit going in, etc. It is something we as fans will have to live with. As long as he comes back as strong as he has each time, I don't mind. Besides, I doubt that he would ever agree to go on to the IR. He is too tough.
"I say 'Hey Lama, how about a little something ya know', for the effort?' And he says 'oh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed you will receive total consciousness.' So I got that going for me...which is nice."
The Crippler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2001, 02:15 PM   #7
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

Hoopsmeister has a spectacular aura aboutHoopsmeister has a spectacular aura about

Putting Dirk on the IR would mean he has to miss 5 games. I don't want to lose 5 in a row.

Actually, our next 7 games are San Antonio, Chicago, Atlanta, Chicago, New York and then San Antonio again. Aside from San Antonio, those other 3 teams/4 games are teams the Mavs should be able to beat even without Dirk. So putting Dirk on the IR before or immediately after Wednesday's game means conceding one game and making 4 others harder than they have to be, but its not conceding 5 games by any means.
Corollary #1: If you put the ball through the hoop more than the other guy, you win.
Corollary #2: If you can't do that, get off the floor.
Hoopsmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2001, 05:32 PM   #8
Rod1975
Golden Member

Rod1975 is on a distinguished road

Dirk's not going on the IR, he's too much of a gamer, he's getting 3 days rest, he'll be fine.
Putting him on the IR may not heal what's wrong with his ankle, they were talking offseason surgery. Dirk himself said he can play with a little pain. If he seriously sprains it or worse, then yes put him on the IR.
Old 12-24-2001, 09:35 PM   #9
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

the mavericks would be in a horrible situation if dirk were out. Yes, he has been a bit cold from the floor recently ..but the mavs would have very little rebounding and no inside defense if dirk were out... you would turn games in which the mavs should win to games that the mavs would struggle.
Old 12-24-2001, 11:59 PM   #10
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, no one sounds pleased with the idea of putting him on the IL, what about going the path Bradley went?

Use him only if necessary but sit him as much as possible. Yes, I know he hasn't played in, what, 5-6 games now, but you get my point.

That left ankle is going to be a problem all year, but him tweaking the right one now is just bothersome.

I'd rather risk losing 5 in a row right now, then face a month or longer without him if a more serious injury comes of this.
Old 12-28-2001, 10:58 AM   #11
TheKid
Diamond Member

TheKid is on a distinguished road

Dirk with a bad ankle is still our best rebounder. He's just going to have to battle the ankle this year it seems. As long as he's able to get up and down the court, we'll go with him I'm sure.
Old 12-28-2001, 02:57 PM   #12
Murphy3
Guru

He'll have some breaks to rest his ankle....he'll have the all-star game break. when he gets selected, he should probably just go ahead and take the 6 days off to rest his ankle.

besides, the mavs need to stretch this 8 game winning streak into a
17-2 stretch..or even 18-1.
look at the schedule, it's very possible
Old 12-28-2001, 04:40 PM   #13
TheKid
Diamond Member

TheKid is on a distinguished road

If they're for real this year, there's no reason they shouldn't.