Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 06-08-2001, 11:33 PM   #41
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

The Sixers are definitely capable of stretching this series but a lot depends on how serious the injuries to guys like McKie, Mutombo, and Snow are. Did anyone else get a good laugh at the little NBC SixERs segment that was aired?!
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-2001, 11:36 PM   #42
Fidel
Diamond Member

Fidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to behold

Shaq was just unbelievable.
With Iverson getting no calls, it may have been the case. But actually Kobe got fouled a couple of times in game 1 and didn´t get one single call (just look at the picture Mavinator posted, there was no call on that play). And what does he do after the game? No complaints, just giving the Sixers credit for playing tough D. That´s good sport. I really don´t understand why you all hate Kobe and love Iverson.
Fidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2001, 11:42 PM   #43
Fidel
Diamond Member

Fidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to behold

I give them a lot of credit for playing through all of this. Actually I just don´t like Iverson. But the Sixers as a team have my respect. They have spirit and play team. Only Iverson distracts from that IMO (not the fighting spirit of course but the team spirit).
Nevertheless I´m still all Lakers, just giving the Sixers credit for being tough and stepping up. The Lakers need to match that (will be difficult cause they haven´t got a lot of guys with a fighter mentallity) or it could be a real close series.
Old 06-09-2001, 04:18 PM   #44
Mavinator
Golden Member

Mavinator is a jewel in the roughMavinator is a jewel in the roughMavinator is a jewel in the rough

You guys aren't being fair to my boy Iverson. They showed replays of about four instances where Fisher/Lue touch fouled him on the perimeter with no call. Remember when Fisher actually caressed Iverson's face? That's a foul, and Iverson couldn't get a call to save his life. Granted, he shot his team in the foot by not making any free throws... And it was definitely kobe who started the trash-talking in the fourth quarter, not Iverson...

And fidel, I've seen many replays of the incident in the photo, and I'm of the opinion that it was a clean block...
Old 06-09-2001, 11:02 PM   #45
Fidel
Diamond Member

Mavinator, isn´t Mutombo pushig Kobe right on the picture you posted? He also had contact with his arms later in that play.
And I remember another one from game 2. Kobe goes for the breakaway dunk, and I think it was McKie, just slightely touched his feet. That was a shabby foul, and Kobe lost the balance at full speed. He could have easily been injured. There was no call on that play.
Iverson, yeah he gets fouled. But he´s so small and light that fouls always seem to have a huge impact on him (especially when he´s airborne, I´m not talking about the touch or holding fouls here, be honest, how often are these actually called in the NBA. It would hurt the flow of the game tremendously). He looses his balance pretty quick and comes down hard and ugly. Now if the Lakers would hack him like Shaq is hacked in every game, Iverson wouldn´t be hurting, he would be dead.
Old 06-10-2001, 08:38 PM   #46
Fidel
Diamond Member

Wow, Iverson actually is becoming a flopper. The Sixers look more and more like the Jazz. Plus they are questioning every call. Very annoying.
Old 06-10-2001, 08:43 PM   #47
Fidel
Diamond Member

Kobe is getting no calls at all, and the refs are calling a whole lot of BS in the 3rd quarter.
Old 06-10-2001, 09:44 PM   #48
Fidel
Diamond Member

Great win for the Lakers. Seldomly I´ve seen a game being called as onesided as this one in the second half. It was all Sixers, but that wasn´t enough, they still lost. That must be a real confidence breaker for them.
Old 06-11-2001, 12:12 AM   #49
Flying Tiger
Golden Member

Flying Tiger will become famous soon enoughFlying Tiger will become famous soon enough

I just reread my comments to dj when he first started this post...I must say that I am feeling like quite a jackass right now.

76er still don't have a chance(but I'm not known for my accurate preditions)!
Old 06-13-2001, 05:40 AM   #50
Fidel
Diamond Member

Here is something about the TV ratings for the finals. If you consider the billions of dollars involved, I think the so called conspiracy theory regarding the eastern conference finals just makes sense.
Or does anyone think a Bucks-Lakers series would have been getting the same ratings?
Old 06-13-2001, 08:37 AM   #51
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

i think the ratings are decently high because the games are actually competitive. after philly won the first game, i'm sure people thought that this series may just be worth watching.
Old 06-13-2001, 10:57 PM   #52
Mavinator
Golden Member

Mavinator is a jewel in the roughMavinator is a jewel in the roughMavinator is a jewel in the rough

ugh

game 4 = horrible
Old 06-14-2001, 12:55 AM   #53
Fidel
Diamond Member

game4 = great [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Old 06-14-2001, 12:57 AM   #54
Fidel
Diamond Member

Get used to it. Phil is on his way for another 6 rings.
Old 06-14-2001, 01:06 AM   #55
Fidel
Diamond Member

If Dallas manages to get Antonio Davis and perhaps another banger (and if Dirk can yet take another step and become a true superstar), they might have a (small) chance to beat LA next season. I don´t see any other team that even has a chance to beat LA in the near future. Perhaps a healthy Sixers team, but the way they depend on Iverson, I doubt it , cause AI is just not good enough. Orlando could also come close, if they get Webber or Davis, and Hill returns 100%. The Bucks, I don´t know. They beat LA twice this year, but I think the Lakers would have humiliated them in the Finals.
Old 06-14-2001, 10:09 AM   #56
TheKid
Diamond Member

TheKid is on a distinguished road

Lastnight was another example of why Kobe is NOT the best player on that team! Shaq has MANHANDLED the 76ers, all by his lonesome! (Well with some help from Horry in game three)

Now I'm not saying Kobe isn't a great player, but I've watched these games from tip off to the last second and I'm CERTAIN that you take Shaq off that court Sixers would be up 3-1 right now. I would give ONE game to the Lakers! Take Kobe off that court, the Lakers would still be up 3-1 right now!

I hate the Lakers, mostly because the more and more I watch Jackson, I despise this man! So the Lakers are freakin CHAMPS again!!! BASTARDS!!! I hope Philly could atleast pull out one more but I seriously doubt it.
Old 06-14-2001, 01:58 PM   #57
Mavinator
Golden Member

Those are some excellent observations, TheKid...

The lakers are not as infallible as they're being made out to be- they're not anywhere near infallible. The Spurs just don't match up well with the lakers, and they're mentally weak, and that's why they were crushed so badly. Think about an Orlando team with Hill, McGrady, and Webber. Or a fully healthy Miami team with a full year to build some chemistry.

Most importantly, think about today's Mavs, with another year of experience. Throw in Dale Davis and a shooter off the bench. Think about the possibilities if Dirk steps his game up another level, as he has done every year since he's been in the league. That Mavericks team of next year is a better team than the TrailBlazers that were a fourth quarter lead away from knocking last year's lakers out of the playoffs. Why couldn't we do the same? Are the lakers going to get better? Judging from numerous offseasons only notable for horrendous mismanagement since Jerry West left, I'd wager not...
Old 06-14-2001, 02:04 PM   #58
TheKid
Diamond Member

This is why I don't think the West is as dominating as it appears. For one, Shaq is fierce, so whatever team he plays on is going to be difficult to stop. The Spurs because of their twin towers, but in my opinion everyone else is beatable. There is NO reason I should not believe that if the Mavs get a Banger next year we can't be in the thick of things.

Even though the Lakers will win, it puts a smile on my face that people will now STOP the Kobe Jordan comparisons. As far as I'm concerned the only comparison is they're both 6'6!
Old 06-14-2001, 02:59 PM   #59
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

of course they'd be in the thick of it..the very well might possibly be in the thick of it anyways.

i think the west is dominant because of the number of very solid teams as opposed to the east.
the mavs could have played philly and could have given them a run for their money.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2001, 09:56 PM   #60
Fidel
Diamond Member

Mavinator, did you try to ignore me there? I mean, you picked the exact same teams like me who could be able to beat the Lakers. But you seemed to simply ignore that fact, and just speak to theKid.
I don´t want to start anything here, I was just wonderibg.
Old 06-15-2001, 01:58 PM   #61
Mavinator
Golden Member

"Dallas... might have a (small) chance to beat LA next season. I don´t see any other team that even has a chance to beat LA in the near future."

You didn't sound like you really thought anyone could beat the lakers...
Old 06-15-2001, 02:10 PM   #62
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Dallas would have to get a lot better to challenge the Lakers. They are so good right now.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2001, 02:10 PM   #63
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Dallas would have to get a lot better to challenge the Lakers. They are so good right now.
Old 06-15-2001, 02:25 PM   #64
TheKid
Diamond Member

It's simple to beat the Lakers, knock Shaq out the game if that's possible! Problem solved! Get one of your players on the end of the bench to agitate him and get Shaq to snap. In all honesty, it's a dirty way to go about things but that's all you can do with Shaq is get him out of the game. If I'm Philly right now, I would put McCullough in and just get him to start with Shaq so Shaq can take a swing at him. Now granted McCullough might not wake up for three weeks, but that would be taking one for the team! I'm serious about that too.
Old 06-15-2001, 02:27 PM   #65
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

Or hire that fat guy who clubbed Nancy Kerrigan a few years back.
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2001, 02:47 PM   #66
MFFL
Guru

What was that basketball movie with Gabe Kapler in it? "Fast Break" maybe? The bench players were told to do that - get into the game and drop the n-bomb on the other team's best player. Guaranteed to cause a fight and get an ejection.
Old 06-15-2001, 03:33 PM   #67
TheKid
Diamond Member

Well I would stay away from the N word, but call Shaq a pussy or something like that, throw an unnecessary elbow or two, he'd snap for sure. Then Shaq would get thrown out for two games, that would secure a game seven! Remember he's snapped before on Montross and Big Country so he likes picking on people his own size, so McCullough would be the best option. He would be kicked out for two games also, but who cares.
Old 06-15-2001, 11:29 PM   #68
Mavinator
Golden Member

ugh

the goddamned lakers dont even care
Old 06-18-2001, 07:21 PM   #69
Hales233
Golden Member

Hales233 is on a distinguished road

I'll admit that the Lakers are a very good team, but the only reason that they dominate as much as they do is because Shaq is allowed to swing his elbows like a maniac and plant himself in the lane for as long as he wants. Then the big loser has the nerve to say he never gets any calls. Plus, the NBA is such a superstar league, Buford comes in and gets 3 fouls just because he's Buford. its' sad, the NBA should be ashamed of itself for giving away the title for the 2nd straight season.