Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 12-30-2020, 07:51 PM   #1
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtownsfinest View Post
I think that's the issue though....why can't a guy like Roby get play here? I honestly can't see much of a difference between Roby, Kleber, WCS and Powell in regards to how good they are.
Was there another way to clear a roster spot? I can’t remember who we had pre-bubble. Likely no one wanted Justin Jackson. Courtney Lee still had value for his contract and on court to some extent.
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 07:54 PM   #2
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac222b View Post
Was there another way to clear a roster spot? I can’t remember who we had pre-bubble. Likely no one wanted Justin Jackson. Courtney Lee still had value for his contract and on court to some extent.
Ouch was Roby just a "throw-in"?

And btw, I don't want to make it sound like Roby is the next coming. My issue isn't necessarily with Roby just the approach this team takes when it comes to valuing young players....because there's going to come a point where we have no choice but to build this team with guys on deals like Roby.

Last edited by Dtownsfinest; 12-30-2020 at 07:55 PM.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 08:19 PM   #3
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Ouch was Roby just a "throw-in"?

And btw, I don't want to make it sound like Roby is the next coming. My issue isn't necessarily with Roby just the approach this team takes when it comes to valuing young players....because there's going to come a point where we have no choice but to build this team with guys on deals like Roby.
We traded Roby to OKC for cash and Justin Patton who we waived to make roster room for WCS. I think we gave GSW a crappy 2nd for him. We eventually waived Bro so we could pick up Burke for the bubble. I was just wondering if we could have dumped Bro instead of Roby? Just waived him. Maybe Cuban is more concerned about cash than we know?

Last edited by mac222b; 12-30-2020 at 08:21 PM.
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 08:34 PM   #4
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

Well nobody really argues RC is pretty tough on young guys. At the same time how many of those guys who didn't play here much go on and actually make themselves into something significant? For example I remember a lot of us wanting Justin Anderson to get more mins here instead RC played Wes 35mins, he played Yogi a ton, and he played DFS over Justin Anderson. So he might be tough on young guys but typically the guys he plays are NBA players- the guys he didn't are buried as the 13-15th roster spot.

I don't really have an issue with being hard on young players. If they want to play then take advantage of your opportunities. This season with the tight schedules and covid young guys will get opportunities. Just take advantage of them when they come.

As for Roby specifically I watched that game and outside of the one play where he pump faked Vuc and made him look silly for a driving dunk he had a wide open 3 at the top of the key and every other shot he made was in the restricted area. He's one of those undersized 4's who to my eyes can't shoot yet. He even missed all 3 ft's when he was fouled on his 3. Maybe he develops maybe he doesn't but I didn't see anything worthy of wishing he was here personally. Hope he does well though in OKC.

Last edited by Bryan_Wilson; 12-30-2020 at 08:35 PM.
Bryan_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 10:03 PM   #5
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_Wilson View Post
Well nobody really argues RC is pretty tough on young guys. At the same time how many of those guys who didn't play here much go on and actually make themselves into something significant? For example I remember a lot of us wanting Justin Anderson to get more mins here instead RC played Wes 35mins, he played Yogi a ton, and he played DFS over Justin Anderson. So he might be tough on young guys but typically the guys he plays are NBA players- the guys he didn't are buried as the 13-15th roster spot.

I don't really have an issue with being hard on young players. If they want to play then take advantage of your opportunities. This season with the tight schedules and covid young guys will get opportunities. Just take advantage of them when they come.

As for Roby specifically I watched that game and outside of the one play where he pump faked Vuc and made him look silly for a driving dunk he had a wide open 3 at the top of the key and every other shot he made was in the restricted area. He's one of those undersized 4's who to my eyes can't shoot yet. He even missed all 3 ft's when he was fouled on his 3. Maybe he develops maybe he doesn't but I didn't see anything worthy of wishing he was here personally. Hope he does well though in OKC.
If you aren't being developed.....chances of you going to another team to succeed are slim at that point IMO.
Old 12-30-2020, 10:36 PM   #6
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
If you aren't being developed.....chances of you going to another team to succeed are slim at that point IMO.
If you are still only 22-24yrs old there is nothing stopping them from developing. And if a year or 2 on a bench learning from vets with sporadic playing time is too difficult then you probably don't have the mindset needed to be good enough on a contending team. And who isn't being developed? All young players we have let go weren't being developed? I'm confused by your statement.
Bryan_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 11:30 PM   #7
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_Wilson View Post
If you are still only 22-24yrs old there is nothing stopping them from developing. And if a year or 2 on a bench learning from vets with sporadic playing time is too difficult then you probably don't have the mindset needed to be good enough on a contending team. And who isn't being developed? All young players we have let go weren't being developed? I'm confused by your statement.
I don't think so personally. I think the only way you can truly develop is if you are getting meaningful in-game action and if you aren't....I'm not sure how you can do it personally. I'm not sure why it is. I'm not sure if there's some exact science to it but when a guy is getting DNP's early in his career and just garbage time.....the chances of that stopping just because he goes to another team is slim.