Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 02-24-2006, 11:28 AM   #1
bobatundi
Golden Member

bobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond repute
Default How much do we pay Terry?

JET's obviously going to garner a lot of interest on the free agent market this summer. Any speculation on how much he's going to command--in both money and years--and will we be willing to pay it?

I suspect, if we do lose Terry, it'll be more over years than dollars. I can't see us giving him a 5 or 6 year deal with Devin still on the roster; I think a 2-3 year deal for $8MM per is about as far as I'd go. And I don't think that gets it done.

On the other hand, if we do lose Terry, we need to push for a sign-and-trade, to make sure we get something back.
bobatundi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 11:35 AM   #2
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

sixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of light

I think Terry will sign for something reasonable. He is a winner, wants to win, and knows what it is like to lose coming from Atlanta. I think he will stay.
Old 02-24-2006, 11:43 AM   #3
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixeightmkw
I think Terry will sign for something reasonable. He is a winner, wants to win, and knows what it is like to lose coming from Atlanta. I think he will stay.
I think this is true, but as we've seen before, people have different definitions of reasonable.

Bottom line, there aren't very many teams that are a) any good and b) have cap room to offer Terry a significant amount of money. In fact, the only team that really even potentially fits that criteria is the Clippers. That means that one of three things happens:

1) Terry re-signs at a mutually acceptable salary;
2) Terry leaves and signs with the Clippers; or
3) Terry is signed-and-traded to another good team.

Assuming, of course, that Terry wouldn't take the top dollar offer from a bad team. I have to think, however, that that's unlikely for two reasons. First, as you said, I think Terry wants to play for a winner. Second, I think bad teams aren't going to sink huge cash into Terry, because he's not a difference maker for an awful team (see Atlanta).
Old 02-24-2006, 11:48 AM   #4
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

I think 4 years and 30-36M will do it. At least I hope it will.

If Dallas doesn't offer him this amount, I expect him to end up in Seattle via SNT.
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 11:51 AM   #5
orangedays
Platinum Member

orangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalmations202
I think 4 years and 30-36M will do it. At least I hope it will.

If Dallas doesn't offer him this amount, I expect him to end up in Seattle via SNT.
Good contract, I'm thinking closer to 36M but I think that'll do it.
orangedays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 11:58 AM   #6
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

If I am Cuban I don't go more than 3 years at 21-24 mil.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 02:29 PM   #7
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drbio
Agree 100%.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 03:57 PM   #8
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I think it's probably a 4 year deal at about 28-30 million. I could certainly live with that.
Old 02-25-2006, 01:45 AM   #9
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Since the MLE is about $5M, I think a fair contract for Terry would be between $5.5M and $6.5M a year. Cuban will want to keep it at 3 years but will probably go 4.

My guess would be 4 years $25M

Last edited by MFFL; 02-25-2006 at 01:49 AM.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 10:13 AM   #10
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg_veteran
I think it's probably a 4 year deal at about 28-30 million. I could certainly live with that.
After your rant do you still think Terry is worth this much?
Old 03-06-2006, 05:18 PM   #11
Drbio
Banned

Quote:

I still think this guy is dead on.
Old 03-06-2006, 05:27 PM   #12
MFFL
Guru

You can't pay a backup player $7M a year. Especially a shooting guard in a point guard's body WITH severe defensive liabilities.
Old 03-06-2006, 05:56 PM   #13
Drbio
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFFL
You can't pay a backup player $7M a year. Especially a shooting guard in a point guard's body WITH severe defensive liabilities.
Personally, I think Terry will bolt because I doubt Mark ponies up the cash. I would not go a dime over what I stated above nor would I go a fourth year after thinking about it. If he walks....let him go. But, for this to happen you have to feel that Devin is ready. I'm not sold on that. Or, you can bring in Sam Cassells for a two year deal for much less. That sounds fine to me.
Old 02-24-2006, 12:13 PM   #14
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future

i go 4 years at 8-9M a year. stackhouse only has a couple of good years left. by that point, we'll need proven offense off the bench.
aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 02:07 PM   #15
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold

Cuban's on a cost-cutting mode. He knows very soon he'd have to pony up for Josh and Dash.

Terry won't be a starter much longer. He could be resigned for his clutch scoring from the bench. For that, I don't see him getting any more than a 4yr deal for $28-30M.
V2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 03:46 PM   #16
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

As stated, very fair contracts. 3 yr 24m to 4 yr 36m. Somewhere in there.

As for sign and trade, what's the rules regarding that? Is that something that occurs only with player consent?

watch your thoughts, they become your words
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 06:33 PM   #17
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

I'll be very dissappointed if cubes doesn't get this done. I don't think devin is nearly ready or is even strong and durable enough to play a whole season. I see no reason to take a risk on multiple championships for a few measly million.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 06:46 PM   #18
orangedays
Platinum Member

orangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394
I'll be very dissappointed if cubes doesn't get this done. I don't think devin is nearly ready or is even strong and durable enough to play a whole season. I see no reason to take a risk on multiple championships for a few measly million.
Haha, exactly.
Old 02-25-2006, 12:37 AM   #19
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

I think Terry's more likely to be in the long term plans than stack... 4 years 24-28 mil
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 10:15 AM   #20
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Well Jason currently makes 7.5Million. To think he will take less than that is wishful thinking imo. He certainly will expect to start there. So it looks a lot like 4 years 28+million to me if we want to re-sign him.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 11:49 AM   #21
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

This year's free-agency pool is cruddy and thin, and a couple of the teams with significant cap room might well be in the market for a sharp-shooting, clutch point guard with extensive playoff experience, so I'd have to guess that Terry's market value might swing tremendously based upon both the degree of success that our Mavs achieve in this year's playoffs, and on just how big a part JET plays in that campaign...

I think it is safe to assume that if Jet looks anything at all like the crazy, clutch force that he has in a number of games this year (most recently against Memphis) during the post-season, that if the braintrust offers him a short deal hovering in the $7-8 million range as his reward, that just won't be quite enough to get a deal done. Instead, again assuming Jet plays well in the playoffs, I think Cuban & co might well be forced to jack up the years on the contract, or increase the yearly totals up into the $9-10 million range if they want to keep the Bobcats, Jazz, Raptors, Clippers, or (Providence help us) the Hawks at bay, and keep Jet in Mavs blue...

Last edited by Evilmav2; 02-25-2006 at 11:53 AM.
Evilmav2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 11:59 AM   #22
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Someone is going to offer him something well over market value, it all depends on how much he wants to stay in Big D.

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 07:23 PM   #23
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

Harris hasn't been consistent enough to merit starting. I would give Terry five years fifty million. Terry isn't the point that nash is, but he hits big shots.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 12:56 AM   #24
orangedays
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayC
Harris hasn't been consistent enough to merit starting. I would give Terry five years fifty million. Terry isn't the point that nash is, but he hits big shots.
Whoaa...that's a lot of money. By the time that contract would be up, we'd have another Finley-esque situation on our hands - 30+ years old and making double-digit millions a year. I really don't think we should go over 4 years because Devin Should be ready by then, and definitely not near 10mm a year - tying a large part of our cap into a future 3rd guard is a bad investment.
Old 03-04-2006, 09:56 PM   #25
TXSportsFan4

TXSportsFan4 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangedays
Whoaa...that's a lot of money. By the time that contract would be up, we'd have another Finley-esque situation on our hands - 30+ years old and making double-digit millions a year. I really don't think we should go over 4 years because Devin Should be ready by then, and definitely not near 10mm a year - tying a large part of our cap into a future 3rd guard is a bad investment.
Yeah I agree with that. We should probably go somewhere along the lines of 2-3 years at probably something like 6-7 mil a year would be about right imo.
Old 03-01-2006, 02:55 PM   #26
bobatundi
Golden Member

bobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond repute

Given the value of an "expiring contract" in the current CBA, how much consideration do you think teams--especially cash-rich ones like the Mavs--give to tacking on one year more than they really intend to have the guy for? Seems like you can get more for an expiring contract than you do in a sign & trade a lot of times. So heck, I'd give Terry four years, even though I think his useful tenure with us is only three--just so we have a nice trading chip in that last year should we need one.
bobatundi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 02:27 PM   #27
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

It depends on how far we go in the playoffs. And what he does in the playoffs? If Daniels and Harris are big in the playoffs. Terry might go in a sign and trade or might leave.

If we could get a first round pick for Terry it might be worth it. A Demarcus Aldridge or a Adam Morrison might look awfully good in a mav uniform.
Old 03-03-2006, 05:11 PM   #28
atrewsfan
Banned

atrewsfan will become famous soon enoughatrewsfan will become famous soon enough

Who would we sign to replace Terry if he goes? M. James (who I doubt will exercise his option in TOR given that he's 30 and wants to play on a legit playoff contender), Speedy Claxton, and Chucky Atkins are the guys most talked about but I think only Atkins would be satisfied with a backup PG role. What about trading our low 1st-rounder to SEA as part of a package for Luke Ridnour? Ridnour is signed for the next two years for $2.4 and $3.3 million so he's definitely affordable, both in what we'd have to give up for him to make the salaries match, and for being a backup PG. I think SEA bringing back Earl Watson was a sign they weren't totally happy with Ridnour's play and that they view him as being fragile and lacking in stamina, which isn't all that surprising considering his slight frame (6'2", 175 lbs.). Ridnour might be a great 2nd PG if he doesn't have to play too many minutes, and he might be happy to be a backup/3rd guard on a legitimate WC contender after watching his team collapse this year under the weight of expectations. He can get posted up by bigger guards but he also consistently racks up good steals numbers.

We also need a 3rd PG as D.A. is a FA after the season too. Perhaps we could use our 2nd-rounder on a project-PG like Curtis Stinson, a big durable PG who's fearless driving to the net and is a great perimeter defender who racks up steals with his quick hands. Dee Brown is another PG projected for the 2nd round. He's kind of like Marcus Banks or Speedy Claxton as he's not the greatest outside shooter but he is incredibly fast and great on fast breaks. Harris could switch to off-guard when Brown is at PG. With Harris and Stinson or Brown behind him, that'd be a load of athleticism at PG. We'd end up with 3 young PG's, one with huge upside (Harris), a backup with playoff experience (Ridnour), and a 3rd who we can afford to develop slowly.
atrewsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 11:27 PM   #29
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by atrewsfan
Who would we sign to replace Terry if he goes? M. James (who I doubt will exercise his option in TOR given that he's 30 and wants to play on a legit playoff contender), Speedy Claxton, and Chucky Atkins are the guys most talked about but I think only Atkins would be satisfied with a backup PG role. What about trading our low 1st-rounder to SEA as part of a package for Luke Ridnour? Ridnour is signed for the next two years for $2.4 and $3.3 million so he's definitely affordable, both in what we'd have to give up for him to make the salaries match, and for being a backup PG. I think SEA bringing back Earl Watson was a sign they weren't totally happy with Ridnour's play and that they view him as being fragile and lacking in stamina, which isn't all that surprising considering his slight frame (6'2", 175 lbs.). Ridnour might be a great 2nd PG if he doesn't have to play too many minutes, and he might be happy to be a backup/3rd guard on a legitimate WC contender after watching his team collapse this year under the weight of expectations. He can get posted up by bigger guards but he also consistently racks up good steals numbers.

We also need a 3rd PG as D.A. is a FA after the season too. Perhaps we could use our 2nd-rounder on a project-PG like Curtis Stinson, a big durable PG who's fearless driving to the net and is a great perimeter defender who racks up steals with his quick hands. Dee Brown is another PG projected for the 2nd round. He's kind of like Marcus Banks or Speedy Claxton as he's not the greatest outside shooter but he is incredibly fast and great on fast breaks. Harris could switch to off-guard when Brown is at PG. With Harris and Stinson or Brown behind him, that'd be a load of athleticism at PG. We'd end up with 3 young PG's, one with huge upside (Harris), a backup with playoff experience (Ridnour), and a 3rd who we can afford to develop slowly.
I like the idea of bringing Ridnour in, but we'd probably have to give up a lot. I say 3 years 21 mil and I think he'll take it to stay with the Mavs.
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 05:39 PM   #30
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Terry's future with this team is in a Bobby Jackson type role. So I guess whatever BJax is/was worth, that's what Terry is worth...
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 08:15 PM   #31
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

I think Harris is ready to start next season but I would love to see Terry stay around. He is a classy guy with a fire for winning and a silky smooth shot. I think he stays for 4 years-28 mil.

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 09:35 PM   #32
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

I would like to keep jet but i doubt we will and he wont be worth what he gets. As to the 4 for 28 i think that is the absolute max he is worth and he wont take that. No way he takes less money than Mike Dunleavy.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 10:56 PM   #33
MFFL
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan
No way he takes less money than Mike Dunleavy.
Dunleavy is young and can theoritically improve. Terry is what he is. He's not going to get any better. The league pays premium money for youth and/or size and/or dominance but not for the likes of Terry. Nobody is going to offer him over the MLE.
Old 03-07-2006, 01:30 PM   #34
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Derek fisher got the mle. I dont think jet is worth what he will get but he will get more than that.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 08:56 PM   #35
jayC
Diamond Member

The mavs probably can't get a better free agent than Terry. Cassel will probably resign in LA. I would give him a three year deal with options for four and five. If he makes an all-star team for instance.
Old 04-03-2006, 10:47 PM   #36
rakesh.s
Golden Member

rakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of light

sign and trade for earl watson if cassell doesn't want to sign? The playoffs will tell the story...if the mavs can't make plays when it matters, they will have to think twice about re-signing terry.
rakesh.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 12:25 PM   #37
Flip41

Flip41 is a jewel in the roughFlip41 is a jewel in the roughFlip41 is a jewel in the roughFlip41 is a jewel in the roughFlip41 is a jewel in the rough

I found this article interesting considering that the Raptors do have a top pick in the draft and we may need a point guard in the near future. I know I shouldn't think about next year untill next year, but this gap between games is bugging me. This guy makes Mike sound like a mini T.O.

The Mike James Predicament
Adam Epstein - 10th May, 2006 2:12 AM

The Mike James situation in Toronto is not only a strategic team dilemma but a moral one as well. Regarding the former, he is a player that has certainly improved the Toronto Raptors this season, providing clutch shooting and a strong leadership role from the point guard position. However, he’s a player that feels he must be vindicated for his years of hard work in the NBA with an inflated contract this season. Therein lies the moral dilemma, Mike James is a hard nose, 100% effort player, so why shouldn’t a team want to reward him with a long-term expensive contract. For the Raptors, I believe it is in their best interest to let him walk this season and try and take part in a sign and trade.

I’m sick and tired of hearing about Mike James talk about his contract, and how he’s owed something from the NBA. What one wants from Mike James is for him to play some tough defense, dish the ball, and hit a couple shots. Most importantly, he is expected to be a high character guy that lays it all out on the floor. But, this season he has led fans and the media to believe that he is laying it all out in the locker room or the press box with his constant allusions towards his impending free agency. By doing this, he has effectively changed the perception of the player on the court. When he was with Houston last year and Detroit in years past, James was praised for his unselfishness and yeoman like effort. One would never expect him to make the proclamations about his contract that he has this year. And it is for this reason that Mike James is no longer the player that he once was. The worst part about it is that James is 31 years old, and should be expected to see some wear and tear and all around physical deterioration in upcoming years. It is expected that James will ask for something within the range of a five or six year deal worth anywhere near 25-30 million. A deal very similar to Rafer Alston’s deal a couple years ago. When taking into consideration the Raptors newfound salary cap space, they probably won’t look to fill it up with this aging point guard. With the Raptors turning a new leaf, and looking on a true pass first point guard to lead the team, Mike James should not be the answer.

So if the Raptors don’t resign Mike James, then what are they to do with the vacancy at the point guard position? The draft is not the answer. This year’s class of point guards will be led by guys like Kyle Lowry, Daniel Gibson, and Rajon Rondo. None of those players are the traditional type of point guard that the team needs, but are rather combo guard with an affinity to score more so than create for others. Jose Calderon is not prepared to take over the starting role. His inability to hit the open three and lack of any sort of comprehension to defend in the NBA should keep him in a backup position. Then there is always the hope that Roko Ukic will decide to make the leap to the NBA. But with the team hoping to make a quick splash into legitimacy to being the season, the last thing that they would like is to have another European point guard in his first year in the starting lineup. It appears as though if Mike James is not in the Raptors lineup next year, the team is going to have to acquire another point guard via a trade. One option could be to make a move for Earl Watson, an experience, defensive minded point guard. However, the market for point guards at the moment is very scarce and despite James’ shortcomings, he could be better than anything on the market.

Mike James’ performance this season both hurt and helped his ploy for max dollars in the off-season. He was able to show the league that he could score and drop threes with the best of them; and at the same time, showed that he too is one of many players driven by money and not wins. Scoring qualities are abundant in the NBA, but the unselfish leader that the Raptors covet, and once believed James’ to be, is a rarity. It will not be in the Raptors best interest this summer to re-sign Mike James for the money that he is expected to demand. The most difficult task for Bryan Colangelo in the off-season won’t be to say no to Mike James, but to find his replacement.
Flip41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 12:28 AM   #38
birdsanctuary
Platinum Member

birdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to all

After tonight's game, I'll pay whatever he asks!
Old 05-16-2006, 01:19 AM   #39
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

Whatever it takes to keep him in Dallas.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 01:40 AM   #40
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Let's not get carried away. This is our eighth playoff game, and it's his first real good one.

I still think he gets traded for Mike Bibby.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote