Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-11-2005, 10:16 PM   #1
Hitman
Golden Member

Hitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to all
Default The MVP Race

So, we are nearing the midway point in the season. (Ok, not quite, but humor me.)

The MVP talk is starting to pick up a bit. Bill Simmons had his top 3 as 1) LeBron 2) Amare and 3) Wade, with honorable mentions to Dirk, Nash, KG, and TD. (Strangely, Shaq was absent.)

Personally, I think that the MVP Award is waiting for Dirk to win it. I think if the Mavs pick up the pace just a bit (which I think they will - meaning, I think they will finish with a winning percentage above .688. I think they can win 58 games ) and Dirk maintains his current pace (and I think when February and March roll around he will pick UP his game) then....

Dirk is going to win the MVP award.

No, he is not the favorite right now. Kind of a dark horse. But lets break down the candidates, shall we?

KG - Will NOT win it. The TWolves are not good and will not get much better with Spree and Cassell breaking down.

Nash/ Amare - Cancel each other out. You can't give it to either one...because of the other. How can you give it to Amare when the the team sucked before Nash, the league leader in assists, go there? How can you give it to Nash when he plays with Amare, the heir apparent to Wilt Chamberlain?

Shaq/ Wade - Similar situation to Nash/ Amare, except they are both more serious contenders, IMO. I think Shaq will eventually miss some games and his stats will not be overwhelming. Wade will not win, because he plays with the Diesel (the current Wilt Chamberlain.)

I think it will come down to Dirk, TD and LeBron.

I don't think TD will win it because his numbers - 22 and 11 -- are not "eye popping."

In the end, it will be Dirk vs. LeBron.

The Diggler vs. The King

Right now, the Mavs have a record of 22-10, and are riding a 5 game winning streak.

Dirk is at 27 points, 10 rebounds, 3 assists, 1.3 blocks, 1.3 steals, 45% from the field, 10 free throws a game at 85% a clip. Efficiency rating of 28.26.

The Cavs are at 20-12 and have won 3 in a row.

LeBron is at 24 points, 7 rebounds, 7 assists, 1 block, 2.3 steals, 49% from the field, 7 free throws a game at 75% a clip. Efficiency rating of

The Spurs are at 28-8 and have won 8 of their last 10.

Duncan is at 22 points, 11 rebounds, 2.6 assists, 3 blocks, .7 steals, 50% from the field, 7.8 free throws a game at a 64% clip. Efficiency rating of 26.81.

I am not saying he is the favorite,

but......

Dirk has a great shot to be the 2004-2005 MVP. In fact, if I had to put my money somewhere....I would put it on

Dirk.

Bet the house on it.

Put Your Brand On Everyone's Lips: http://www.java-ads.com
Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote