Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 06-23-2004, 02:54 PM   #1
Poindexter Einstein
Golden Member

Poindexter Einstein will become famous soon enough
Default Shaq DOES NOT submit list

This is the apparent sequence ...

1. Shaq's agent reportedly says something like "Shaq doesnt want to go anywhere and start over. He wont go to a scrub team"
2. Writer makes a list of who Shaq could PERHAPS go to and be happy
3. ESPN radio people chit chat and use that idea and list
4. It gets heard
5. Someone says "there is an official list" ...and types it here ...they use the words "ESPN says" although it was not a report, just idle chit chat. Also they didnt read it (where the exact thing can be examined to see who was quoted) - it was heard, where you can miss stuff easily since you cant go back and reread.

THERE IS NO OFFICIAL LIST. THIS IS JUST MORE IDLE SPECULATION ON TOP OF RUMOR AND GOSSIP

If and when there is an official list, you will read it EVERYWHERE
Poindexter Einstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-2004, 03:00 PM   #2
FineCubanCigar
Golden Member

FineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of light
Default RE:Shaq DOES NOT submit list

look man, there is an official list, Shaq and his agent submited it to the front office, Espn Radio reported it, get over yourself please.
Old 06-23-2004, 03:04 PM   #3
Poindexter Einstein
Golden Member

Default RE: Shaq DOES NOT submit list

LOL ... I dont buy it, dude. I know you THOUGHT that was what you heard. But we all know it would be all over ESPNs website if they had such a scoop.

Sorry, but thats how it is.
Old 06-23-2004, 03:05 PM   #4
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

SaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud of

I heard the same thing PE. As far as ESPN not reporting things, I have yet to see ESPN.com mention the possibility of Shaq's no-trade clause. So, maybe they want to confirm before putting it up

SaltwaterChaffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 03:08 PM   #5
FineCubanCigar
Golden Member

FineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of light

your line of reasoning doesn't explain why they reported Shaq submited 8 teams he would consider a trade to, mine does. It was reported it was an "offical" list. Have fun with your denial trip.
Old 06-23-2004, 03:09 PM   #6
FineCubanCigar
Golden Member

thank you saltwater, i didn't think i was going insane.
Old 06-23-2004, 03:20 PM   #7
Poindexter Einstein
Golden Member

As I said FCC if there is really such news (rather than just speculation) they will put it on their website, and it will get picked up everywhere. If that happens I will give you full props

BUT ...

...I saw an article online last night while I was looking at expansion draft info, that had such a list. (If I see it again, I will give a reference, but I dont recall which website had it). And it was speculation, not a list of "where I would go" by Shaq. So knowing how these things go, I am concluding this is one of those games of gossip, where someone tells someone who tells someone, who says "its a fact" -when it only originated as a writer's ideas.

Old 06-23-2004, 03:22 PM   #8
Poindexter Einstein
Golden Member

"your line of reasoning doesn't explain why they reported Shaq submited 8 teams he would consider a trade to"

Look again. Item 2. I said - Writer [not Shaq] makes a list. And article gets published.
Old 06-23-2004, 07:06 PM   #9
FineCubanCigar
Golden Member

ok
Old 06-23-2004, 07:08 PM   #10
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: FineCubanCigar
your line of reasoning doesn't explain why they reported Shaq submited 8 teams he would consider a trade to, mine does. It was reported it was an "offical" list. Have fun with your denial trip.
Umm FCC, can you give some links, bud?

PE is exactly right here. Everything that is being mentioned is inference from very little. Shaq said he liked Dallas, then his manager said he didnt want to play on a crap team. Suddenly he is demanding to be moved to Dallas.

FCC creates the post, "Shaq submits list" and claims it's ESPN but provides no link. Link isnt found on ESPN.com

A team source told the AP on condition of anonymity that O’Neal had requested a trade.

ESPN uses almost the same words. I havent seen a reputable article, much less a quote attributed to someone in power that contains the list. O'Neal told the Los Angeles Times he was no longer happy with the team's direction, saying it had changed in the years since former general manager Jerry West

LA Times reports, '"We want to be in an environment where we can win," said Mike Parris, O'Neal's business manager. "We want a team that is committed to winning."' then goes on into speculation when saying, "O'Neal is believed to be willing to approve of about eight franchises. And while he cannot block a trade to an undesirable franchise, he could refuse a contract extension."

I'm open to an article that says Mr. Diesel has a list, but none of the stuff I've browsed adds up to Shaq making a list.

EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 10:51 PM   #11
FineCubanCigar
Golden Member

it was on the Radio Erica. and saltwater heard it too, so take it for what its worth or not.
Old 06-23-2004, 11:43 PM   #12
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: FineCubanCigar
it was on the Radio Erica. and saltwater heard it too, so take it for what its worth or not.
TV and radio are notorious for being poor sources of information because once the words escape the mouth of the talking head they are gone. Text is scrutinized. There is also the factor of hearing it only once that may have made words like "probably" and other words dissapear from memory.

The only text that says anything close to that is pure speculation and is quoted above. If something as dramatic as Shaq drawing up exact plans to move out, it would be everywhere, including in text. This evening I listened to the radio and ESPN reported that ex-warrior, Larry Hughes was coming to Dallas in the trade. That obviously wasnt repeated very long and will not appear in text.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 11:46 PM   #13
FineCubanCigar
Golden Member

yeah your probobly right, especially since it hasn't been writen . . .