Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 07-08-2005, 09:26 AM   #1
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute
Default FWST Notebook: Horry's offer, DJ, No Aguirre

Mixup leads to Henderson arrest

By ART GARCIA
Star-Telegram Staff Writer

LAS VEGAS - A misunderstanding led to the arrest of Alan Henderson for carrying a gun onto a flight in New York, according to Mavericks officials.

The free-agent forward attempted to take a loaded 9 mm pistol stored in a metal lock box inside his suitcase onboard a plane Saturday at John F. Kennedy International Airport, The Associated Press reported.

Henderson was stopped by airport officials when he acknowledged he didn't have a valid New York permit or license. He is charged with second- and third-degree counts of criminal possession of a weapon. His court date is set for Aug. 25. If convicted, Henderson could face up to 15 years in prison.

Henderson told members of the Mavs organization that he has a permit for the gun and thought he was transporting it lawfully. Henderson was on his way to Florida.

"He called ahead and thought he took the right precautions," Mavs owner Mark Cuban said Thursday.

More from Mbenga

The stat line on second-year center DJ Mbenga appears promising -- 15 points, eight rebounds and two blocks -- from Wednesday's 23-point vicory over New Jersey in the opener of Reebok Vegas Summer League play.

Mavs coach Avery Johnson, however, offered a harsher critique of the 7-foot project from Congo.

"DJ Mbenga has to stop fouling when he walks in the gym," Johnson said.

Mbenga, who played sparingly as a rookie last season, committed four fouls in 13 first-half minutes against the Nets, matching his number of points and rebounds at the break. Mbenga did most of his offensive damage late, as the Mavs pulled away.

"He's still not rebounding the ball the way I want," Johnson said. "... I need him to be there in the first half when the game is on the line and not when we're up by 20."

Big Shot Rob

The Mavs offered Robert Horry a three-year contract for at least $9 million but Horry decided to return to San Antonio.

"We wanted Rob," Mark Cuban said. "We probably wouldn't have played him much during the season, but we could have used that swagger in the playoffs."

Johnson talks to Natt

Longtime NBA assistant Kenny Natt has emerged as a candidate to join the Avery Johnson's staff. Natt, also a former player, has coached for Utah and Cleveland.

Paul Pressey and former Maverick Mark Aguirre are no longer in the running to fill the remaining opening on Johnson's staff.
Old 07-08-2005, 09:49 AM   #2
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

DubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant future
Default RE: FWST Notebook: Horry's offer, DJ, No Aguirre

I like hearing the amount we offered Horry. For a bit it was rumored that it was the full MLE, which is way too much. 3years, averaging 3mil a year means the Mavericks might not overpay anyone this summer.
DubOverdose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 10:55 AM   #3
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:FWST Notebook: Horry's offer, DJ, No Aguirre

Disappointing news about Aguire.

Sounds like his interview with Elf was more of an attempt to get offered a job. Selling himself, as it were.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 12:25 PM   #4
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

I don't mind that Aguirre stays and loses with Zeke......interesting, come to think of it, that he's looking to flee ship.

Don't think he's the right player to help Nowitzki anyway.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 12:46 PM   #5
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally posted by: DubOverdose
I like hearing the amount we offered Horry. For a bit it was rumored that it was the full MLE, which is way too much. 3years, averaging 3mil a year means the Mavericks might not overpay anyone this summer.
Might also mean that they might not get anyone of value. But I guess it's all about Mark's pocketbook.
Old 07-08-2005, 01:46 PM   #6
Filth

Filth is on a distinguished road

What about the knicks? they pay out more money than anyone and they suck just about as much as anyone. Thowin out money without thinkin about it is not the way to go.
Why dont you put up the money for some of these guys......oh i guess your as poor as me. I think cuban wants the mavs to win as much or probably more than any of us. i mean look at that guy at the games. he wants a championship - just doesnt think theres a reason to waste money that wont help. If your hungry and you go and buy some gum....it wont help your hunger all that much - especially if you pay 5$ a piece.
Filth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 02:22 PM   #7
Scoobay
Golden Member

Scoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally posted by: MavKikiNYC
I don't mind that Aguirre stays and loses with Zeke......interesting, come to think of it, that he's looking to flee ship.

hmm, i dunno... he helped Jermaine O'Neal quite a bit with his low post game when he was in Indiana.
Scoobay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 02:34 PM   #8
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally posted by: Scoobay
Quote:

hmm, i dunno... he helped Jermaine O'Neal quite a bit with his low post game when he was in Indiana.
So they say.

He might actually have something to offer on second thought. He was an undersized, non-leaping low-post player, who relied a lot on position and a quick release to score a lot, often against taller defenders.

Just don't see enough parallels between his and Dirk's skill sets to make him a slam-dunk choice.

As for his mentality.......

Like I said, I think he's better placed with Zeke, losing in NY.
Old 07-08-2005, 02:45 PM   #9
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally posted by: Filth
Thowin out money without thinkin about it is not the way to go.
Well I'm sure the Knicks thought about it, they just thought stupidly. Cutting players who are still useful to maybe save some bucks, maybe lose some bucks, even after thinking about it is not the way to go if that thinking is stupid.

Quote:
Why dont you put up the money for some of these guys......
I have in the past through ticket purchases, concession purchases, parking purchases, merchandise purchases. But my flow of money to Cuban stops until he stops being a cheap skate and valuing money he doesn't need over a title.

Quote:
I think cuban wants the mavs to win as much or probably more than any of us. i mean look at that guy at the games. he wants a championship -
I doubt that he wants to win as much than me and many others who think cutting Fin is stupid. If I was as rich as Cuban and owned the Mavs, Fin would only be leaving town in a trade for equal or better talent. Sure Cuban cheers at the game, big whoop tee doo, anybody can do that. But when Cuban refuses to put his money where his mouth is there is more than a little room for doubt. Sure he wants a championship, just not as much as he wants a better cash flow.

Quote:
just doesnt think theres a reason to waste money that wont help.
This is the part where stupid thinking kicks in IMO.
Old 07-08-2005, 05:47 PM   #10
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

I hope all this Hendo gun-mess gets cleaned up with just a fine or community service...anything further would be sad/unfortunate

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 05:57 PM   #11
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: sike
I hope all this Hendo gun-mess gets cleaned up with just a fine or community service...anything further would be sad/unfortunate
What...like....being sentenced to play for the NYKs?
Old 07-08-2005, 06:15 PM   #12
foglemann
Golden Member

foglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by: sike
What...like....being sentenced to play for the NYKs?
Kiki, he is an undersized PF, he would fit in nicely, hey, Isiah may want to really trade for him now, with his newly aquired 'street cred.' [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
foglemann is offline   Reply With Quote