Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 07-17-2002, 03:11 AM   #1
Yaodynasty

Yaodynasty is on a distinguished road

Source: http://www.warriorsbasketball.com/news.asp?id=33

Post on 16 July 2002 at 23h09 by jedipimp. EN - JediPimp
Source : Warriorsbasketball
By JediPimp:

The Warriors beat the Memphis Grizzlies 103-100 tonight in game 5 of summer league play. The Warriors used a balanced attack to defeat the Grizzlies, with 5 players scoring 14 or more points.

Jason Richardson, who continues to shoot the ball well, scored 19 points. Gilbert Arenas was solid contributing 18 points and 6 assists, while the hottest Warrior of summer league play Troy Murphy had another outstanding performance chipping in with 17 points and 7 rebounds.

What about the Rookies??

Jiri Welsch played a nice well rounded game, putting up 14 points, 3 rebounds, 3 assists, and 3 steals. It~{!/~}s nice to see the 16th pick do some good things.
Mike Dunleavy played steady, adding 15 points, 3 rebounds, 2 assists, and 4 steals.

But~{!-~}

The MVP of the Warriors summer squad tonight was none other than Wang ZhiZhi.
Wang dominated the Memphis interior with 24 points, 14 rebounds, and 3 blocks !
If we could only get those kind of numbers from our center position this year ! (Bye bye Danny & Damp, hello Wang).

Now I wasn't at the game and I haven't seen any highlights.. I know that this is only summer league. I know that these games don~{!/~}t really count~{!-~} But I like what I see in this box score.
What I'm seeing in this box score excites me as a fan. What I see out of our young nucleus in this box score is chemistry.

God I hope they find more of it !

Look for the Trueblood report tomorrow night !

Go Warriors

JediPimp
Old 07-17-2002, 07:05 AM   #2
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

<< Source: http://www.warriorsbasketball.com/news.asp?id=33

Post on 16 July 2002 at 23h09 by jedipimp. EN - JediPimp
Source : Warriorsbasketball
By JediPimp:

The Warriors beat the Memphis Grizzlies 103-100 tonight in game 5 of summer league play. The Warriors used a balanced attack to defeat the Grizzlies, with 5 players scoring 14 or more points.

Jason Richardson, who continues to shoot the ball well, scored 19 points. Gilbert Arenas was solid contributing 18 points and 6 assists, while the hottest Warrior of summer league play Troy Murphy had another outstanding performance chipping in with 17 points and 7 rebounds.

What about the Rookies??

Jiri Welsch played a nice well rounded game, putting up 14 points, 3 rebounds, 3 assists, and 3 steals. It~{!/~}s nice to see the 16th pick do some good things.
Mike Dunleavy played steady, adding 15 points, 3 rebounds, 2 assists, and 4 steals.

But~{!-~}

The MVP of the Warriors summer squad tonight was none other than Wang ZhiZhi.
Wang dominated the Memphis interior with 24 points, 14 rebounds, and 3 blocks !
If we could only get those kind of numbers from our center position this year ! (Bye bye Danny &amp; Damp, hello Wang).

Now I wasn't at the game and I haven't seen any highlights.. I know that this is only summer league. I know that these games don~{!/~}t really count~{!-~} But I like what I see in this box score.
What I'm seeing in this box score excites me as a fan. What I see out of our young nucleus in this box score is chemistry.

God I hope they find more of it !

Look for the Trueblood report tomorrow night !

Go Warriors

JediPimp
>>

Ok Murphy, is 14 rebounds enough to make you think that Wang is more than you think??
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2002, 07:19 AM   #3
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Monster game for wang.... Here's the box score link..

http://www.proexposure.com/stories/0716n.cfm
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
Old 07-17-2002, 08:14 AM   #4
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Anyone who has been around here for a while will know that I really like Wang ZhiZhi, but 14 rebounds in a summer league game is probably equivalent to about 5-6 rebounds in a good NBA game. Don't get me wrong..excellent stats and if he continue to get these kinds of numbers I will be singing his praises, but let's see how he does the rest of the way before we start raising Wang to Jordan status.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2002, 08:22 AM   #5
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

yep, i scored 30 points and pulled down 16 boards in a summer league game once..and i'm only 6'2

and i sure as hell didn't make it when the season rolled around
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2002, 10:30 AM   #6
ThunderNYC

ThunderNYC is on a distinguished road

This is exactly why I think Wang should sign with GSW. He gets more PT and love from fans there. I'm pretty sure if it's up to him, he'd rather be paid less to play there.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]
ThunderNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2002, 10:40 AM   #7
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

i hope wang DOES develop.. but it's irritating seeing people praise him beyond end when he hasn't done anything yet. he's got a very long ways to go.. and at this rate, by the time he actually does develop, he'll be too old to do anything.

however, let's say he does bust his ass.. he's still 3-4 years probably from being able to play 20 minutes a game on this team.

maybe it's best for all parties involved for him to be moved
Old 07-17-2002, 10:45 AM   #8
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

<< i hope Raef DOES develop.. but it's irritating seeing people praise him beyond end when he hasn't done anything yet. he's got a very long ways to go.. and at this rate, by the time he actually does develop, he'll be too old to do anything.

however, let's say he does bust his ass.. he's still 3-4 years probably from being able to play 40 minutes a game on this team.

maybe it's best for all parties involved for him to be moved
>>

MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2002, 10:54 AM   #9
Murphy3
Guru

wang will probably never develop into the player that raef is right now
Old 07-17-2002, 11:00 AM   #10
ThunderNYC

<< wang will probably never develop into the player that raef is right now >>

I agree, since he'll never be given the chance here. Plus they play a very different game. I'd love to see him with GSW.
Old 07-17-2002, 11:03 AM   #11
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

I agree.

I think he has superior potential.

LaF's slide has already begun.
Old 07-17-2002, 11:21 AM   #12
Nellie
Golden Member

Nellie is on a distinguished road

Just because Wang likes Golden St. doesn't mean that the Warriors will sign him for more than we can match. I would think the Warriors would need to move some contracts to make room for him which means we would have the option of a sign-and-trade. Also, the Warriors would be negotiating with the Chinese from ground zero during a sensitive time while we already have a trust worthy working relationship with them. That may be enough red tape to run off the Warriors. My point: I have not lost complete hope that Wang is gone.
Old 07-17-2002, 11:27 AM   #13
Murphy3
Guru

raef, that's horseshit you taking one of my posts and pasting it in your post as a quote from someone else..changing the wording..

if you have something to say, say it
Old 07-17-2002, 11:34 AM   #14
Murphy3
Guru

and for the record, i'm just giving you a hard time
Old 07-17-2002, 11:39 AM   #15
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

Tranquilo, Murphess.

Your drivel is hardly ever significant enough to misquote or misappropriate.

The whole point of my post, since you obviously missed it, is that the same perspective you have of Wang can be applied to LaF.

LaF had his chance last year as a big-minute starter in a system tailor-made for him, and proved (or very strongly suggested) that he's not up to serving man-sized portions. And this after going through major-university competition, and three years of pro ball.

Wang hasn't even gotten a significant playing opportunity yet, and certainly hasn't had the opportunity to develop against top-flight competition. It's a stretch, but only a bit of a stretch, to say that he can be a superior player to LaF in 2-3 years.

LaF, for his part, is about 30 more games like his last 30 from being a posterboi for BWS-dom.
Old 07-17-2002, 11:40 AM   #16
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

We do have to generate some news in here from time to time.
Old 07-17-2002, 11:42 AM   #17
ThunderNYC

<< and for the record, i'm just giving you a hard time >>

No need to point out the obvious. Reading your previous posts has given me an impression that you do that very often. Take it easy, dude.
Old 07-17-2002, 11:47 AM   #18
Murphy3
Guru

mavskiki, of course i knew what you were doing.. however, i completely disagree.

knowing that i completely disagree will probably allow you to sleep better tonight though
Old 07-17-2002, 11:47 AM   #19
Nellie
Golden Member

For the anti-Raef faction out there:

What is the alternative to signing Raef....Olowakandi in a trade? Kandi is decent but he is not a better fit for this team than Raef is and I surely wouldn't give anything up for him. I would also suggest that you not pass judgement on Raef after only 30 games with this team (in fact, that goes for the anti-NVE faction too). If you look at his stats with Denver, where he played 4 years as opposed to 30 games, his stats were absolutely respectable and what we can use more of. I'll tell you what, like Raef or hate him, you can't deny that the Mavericks are better with him than they were without him. Would you rather have Bradley? Come on. It sounds like some people need to wake up.
Old 07-17-2002, 05:52 PM   #20
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all

You have to love seeing WANG's attitude. He wants to improve, and obviously he is getting a little tougher. Although it's against superior talent, I'd like to see him bring that to the Mavs, some banging and that touch of his, that would help the Mav
Old 07-17-2002, 08:42 PM   #21
dude1394
Guru

Something from hoopsworld..

http://www.hoopsworld.com/article_527.shtml

WANGer THE BANGER?: Anyone else notice the stomping Wang Zhi Zhi handed the Grizzlies summer squad? Wang has been playing with the Golden State Warriors summer league squad, and dropped 24 points, 14 rebounds and three blocks on the boys from Memphis. Wang is a restricted free agent, and Dallas continues to say they will match any offer he receives. The Mavericks say they are waiting for Wang to select a new agent, before beginning talks with about a new deal.
Old 07-17-2002, 08:44 PM   #22
Murphy3
Guru

actually, didn't the mavs recently say that they would match any reasonable offer....?

Old 07-18-2002, 09:38 AM   #23
Nellie
Golden Member

<< actually, didn't the mavs recently say that they would match any reasonable offer....? >>

Yep...up to 4.5mil.
Old 07-18-2002, 10:37 AM   #24
dude1394
Guru

Ok this brings back up the questions I have about the 4.5 mil exception. In one thread I think it was explained to me that the mavs could offer up to the 4.5 mil exception to wang, najera and buckner I think. So conceivably 4.5 * 3 = 13.5 mill.

I also understood that they had a 4.5 million exception. Reading about the philly deal that says that that is ONE 4.5 mill exception that must be parsed between however many players we sign, right?? So for example one player for 1.0 million and another for 3.5 million.
Old 07-18-2002, 05:25 PM   #25
David
Golden Member

David is on a distinguished road

The way I understand it is, there is one $4.5M exception than CAN be divided up or used on one player and an UNLIMITED amount of contracts that can be handed out for the league minimum. Of course teams will be governed by number of players on the roster. I believe length of service in the league has a bearing on minimum money amounts. A 10 year vet would cost more than a rookie, as an example.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2002, 06:12 PM   #26
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

Hoopsmeister has a spectacular aura aboutHoopsmeister has a spectacular aura about

<< Ok this brings back up the questions I have about the 4.5 mil exception. In one thread I think it was explained to me that the mavs could offer up to the 4.5 mil exception to wang, najera and buckner I think. So conceivably 4.5 * 3 = 13.5 mill.

I also understood that they had a 4.5 million exception. Reading about the philly deal that says that that is ONE 4.5 mill exception that must be parsed between however many players we sign, right?? So for example one player for 1.0 million and another for 3.5 million.
>>

Once again, teams over the salary cap have a single 4.5 million exception which they can use to sign one or more free agents. The 4.5 million can be divided up among multiple players. Teams over the cap can also sign any number of players/contracts for the league minimum, which is scaled for how long the player has been in the league.

However none of the above applies to Wang, Najera, or Buckner. A player that has been with the same team for 3 years has 'Bird rights', meaning that the team's salary cap position has no effect on how much the team can sign the player for. A player like Wang, Najera, or Buckner who has been with the same team for 2 years is eligible for an 'early Bird' contract, meaning that the Mavs can sign them to multi-year contracts which are worth approximately the same as the exception. Neither 'Bird' or 'early Bird' contracts use any part of a team's 4.5 million exception.

So technically, the Mavs could sign Najera, Wang, and Buckner to multiple year contracts for 4.5 million each, and the team would still have its 4.5 million exception for signing other free agents.
Corollary #1: If you put the ball through the hoop more than the other guy, you win.
Corollary #2: If you can't do that, get off the floor.
Hoopsmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2002, 06:54 PM   #27
dude1394
Guru

Thanks' all.. Very clear explanation.
Old 07-19-2002, 11:38 AM   #28
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

Thanks, Hoops.

So when Rhylan threatens to go off over Buck's Bird rights, the issue is that the Mavericks ARE CHOOSING not to re-sign Buck, presumably because matching the 76ers contract offer would subject them to luxury tax consequences?

This means that they're not losing Buck, per se, but they're letting him go?
Old 07-19-2002, 11:54 AM   #29
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

Hoopsmeister has a spectacular aura aboutHoopsmeister has a spectacular aura about

The Mavs could match the offer being made to Buckner. If they don't, its presumably because they don't think he is worth it, at least not for this team (and while the Mavs will be paying the luxury tax whether they let Buckner go or not, the lt means that signing Buckner would essentially cost Cuban twice the actual amount of the contract). And since Buckner is not a restricted free agent, he wouldn't have to accept an offer from Dallas even it matched Philly's offer. So I don't think its as simple as 'losing' vs 'letting go'. In this case, it seems to be a combination of the two.
Corollary #1: If you put the ball through the hoop more than the other guy, you win.
Corollary #2: If you can't do that, get off the floor.
Hoopsmeister is offline   Reply With Quote