Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 09-29-2003, 04:18 PM   #1
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice
Default RETURN OF THE KING TRAILER-GREATNESS

And here it is.

Is "awe-inspiring" one or two words?
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-2003, 04:32 PM   #2
irontoad
Golden Member

irontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to all

Nice of you to come through THIS time, Dooby. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Seriously, thanks dude, this movie looks unbelievable. Cannot wait to see it.
Old 09-29-2003, 04:45 PM   #3
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you dooby - that was truly awe inspiring.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2003, 04:47 PM   #4
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

Quote:
Originally posted by: irontoad
Nice of you to come through THIS time, Dooby. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Seriously, thanks dude, this movie looks unbelievable. Cannot wait to see it.
Hey, dude. That last trailer was up for like 2 hours. If you missed it-well, too bad. Anyway, it is on the DVD, so relax.

At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Old 09-29-2003, 04:57 PM   #5
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: RETURN OF THE KING TRAILER-GREATNESS

Awesome dooby. December 17th...

Too far away.
Old 09-29-2003, 05:08 PM   #6
MavsFanatik33
Platinum Member

MavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura aboutMavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura about

That and Matrix Revolutions are gonna be greatness.
MavsFanatik33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2003, 05:10 PM   #7
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: MavsFanatik33
That and Matrix Revolutions are gonna be greatness.
You can't mention Lord of the Rings and that M word in the same breath. If you do, you are destined to die.

Be careful.....

and shame on you.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 09-29-2003, 05:21 PM   #8
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

the first matrix was almost in the same class as LOTR..but,the second couldn't match up with the two towers..
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2003, 05:56 PM   #9
Dooby
Diamond Member

The second Matrix had its moments that were great; but it had moments that were simplya a beating. There were no less than three moments were I looked at my watch wondering how much longer the scene was going to go on.

1) Yeah, we may all die soon, but lets have a rave!!!

2) Obligatory sex scene. And the point of that was...?

3) I'm hot and french and I want to make out with your boyfriend in the bathroom.

4) No, I believe in Keanu Reeves. No, I really, really believe in Keanu Reeves. Why? Because the guy that had my part in the first film couldn't agree on a contract and I want to keep my job.

Why is Zion worth fighting for? That place looks like a beating.

Old 09-29-2003, 06:01 PM   #10
irontoad
Golden Member

irontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to all

I have a problem with Keanu in that no matter what role he plays, I always see him as 'Ted'. I like the Matrix movies, but Keanu as an action star just bugs the crap out of me.

Definitely agree with your #1 there, Dooby, what in the hell was the point of the rave scene?
Old 09-29-2003, 06:16 PM   #11
veruca salt
Platinum Member

veruca salt will become famous soon enough

#1 & #2...oh man, i was ready to get up and walk out. I was convinced it was going to be the worst movie ever.
Overall I actually thought it was enjoyable, not on the same level as TT though.
Doesn't mean i'm still not excited about Revolutions (just not as excited as I am about Return Of The King!!!!!!!!!!!)

Smile like you mean it
veruca salt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2003, 08:09 AM   #12
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

wow.

wow.

wow.

can't wait.
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2003, 08:11 AM   #13
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

as for Dooby's Reloaded list:
1) and 2) were by far the worst ideas for any movie I've seen in a long time.

I'll add:
5) oh, look. A big car chase. That's still going.
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2003, 08:12 AM   #14
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

i'll be at the midnight showing at the Rave in Hickory Creek/Lewisville...they'll have it on all 16 screens and the place will be packed with lines that nearly circle the building hours before the show starts..
Old 09-30-2003, 09:54 AM   #15
MavsFanatik33
Platinum Member

MavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura aboutMavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura about

I enjoyed the action more in Matrix, but I;m not arguing that LOTR isn't better than Matrix. The first Matrix maybe, but LOTR is an instant classic.
MavsFanatik33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2003, 10:03 AM   #16
Murphy3
Guru

the first matrix is a very good movie..but not as good as LOTR.
but good try
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 09-30-2003, 04:56 PM   #17
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

trailer was awesome... great quick shot of "her"

as for reloaded... it was an ok movie, but it was such a letdown to me, because i was so excited by the previews... but i will admit i was talking about the movie for a time afterwards, discussing what could happen next.

but ROTK is the movie of the year for me.

MINOR SPOILER

i thought elrond was supposed to have reforged andruil already? like before aragorn left Rivendell. but i could be completely wrong. even if the timing is wrong, i'm glad it's in the trilogy somewhere.

SPOILER OVER
Old 09-30-2003, 06:21 PM   #18
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

also, is it weird that i totally got chills watching that trailer?
Old 09-30-2003, 06:28 PM   #19
veruca salt
Platinum Member

veruca salt will become famous soon enough

same here BBL!!

Smile like you mean it
veruca salt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2003, 11:17 PM   #20
Murphy3
Guru

An Oscar could be waiting for 'Return'

By Susan Wloszczyna, USA TODAY

WELLINGTON, New Zealand — The place: Lord Elrond's rarified chambers in the elf oasis known as Rivendell. The mood: Toe-tappingly impatient. The problem: Liv Tyler, she of pointy ears and plump lips, is not to be found.

Meanwhile, cast and crew wait in a cavernous soundstage at Stone Street Studio and prepare to shoot more takes for The Return of the King, the hotly anticipated finale of the three-film adaptation of J.R.R. Tolkien's epic fantasy, The Lord of the Rings. (Related item: Along come a spider, Witch-king, '58 Chevy)

Suddenly, Tyler hurries in, contrite and confused, chunky boots peeking out from under her flowy frock. "I was told to go get a touch-up," she says, explaining her tardiness to a scowling Carolyne "Caro" Cunningham, the first assistant director who bulldoggedly guards against such disruptions.

Makeup perfect. Matter over. The actress regains her composure and assumes the bewitching aura of elf princess Arwen, who implores father Elrond (Hugo Weaving) to assist her mortal beau, mighty warrior Aragorn (Viggo Mortensen), as he claims his rightful place as ruler of Middle-earth.

And one coronation may just lead to another.

The real man who would be king, as the trilogy winds down with the release of the third chapter on Dec. 17 and the launch of the awards season, is director Peter Jackson. The bespectacled dumpling in wrinkled shorts and worn sneakers (when not barefoot) is plopped in his preferred on-set seating, a burgundy-hued easy chair. It's a very apt throne for a cinematic genius who eschews Hollywood pretensions and prefers to create his art mere minutes away from his home in this gloriously scenic land of his birth.

The cherubic, 41-year-old Kiwi, flanked by crafty co-writers Fran Walsh (his companion of 16 years and mother of his two children) and Philippa Boyens as they do script updates on the fly, madly multi-tasks as usual.

But he's clearly pumped about fine-tuning his favorite film of the series. The Return of theKing concludes the tale of hobbit Frodo (Elijah Wood) and his quest to destroy an evil ring that began in 2001's The Fellowship of the Ring and continued with last year's The Two Towers, out on DVD Tuesday (an extended cut is due on Nov. 18) with a 10-minute King preview.

With a combined price tag of about $310 million, all three movies were shot simultaneously and principal photography was completed in 2000. But a chance to reunite everyone for extra filming and tweaking has been budgeted for each following year, and the last round of pickup shots was done this past spring.

"Everybody feels we are paying off the story now," says Jackson, taking a rare breather. "The scenes tend to be the more emotionally charged, which is why the actors enjoyed them and why I enjoyed filming them. It absolutely has to be the best. We owe it to people."

The highlight of the closer, which the director confirms could run longer than the three-hour length of its predecessors, is the thunderous clash at Pelennor Fields. The fierce faceoff between the good citizens of Middle-earth and the dark forces of Lord Sauron promises to make the skirmish of Helm's Deep in The Two Towers look like a hobbit family picnic.

Bolstered by previous success, Jackson is rather relaxed under the circumstances. "The mood's kind of enjoyable," he says. "I certainly don't feel as constrained this time around." But the confident calm he exudes belies the sense of urgency and purpose in the air that goes beyond the product on the screen.

The push is on. Not only to make The Return of the King even more awe-inducing than the rest, but also to ensure it wins the year's top Oscars, namely best picture and director. Jackson and company have been so far denied the prizes and fans have cried foul. The crusade for recognition commences with the release of the first Towers DVD.

"Peter is too humble a person to campaign himself," says Richard Taylor, a pal and collaborator for the past 15 years who oversees Weta Workshop, the acclaimed effects factory where sneering orc masks are molded and elven weaponry is forged. "He will leave it to the laps of the gods. He has bigger things to do ultimately. But it would be obviously wonderful if he were recognized for the superior director he is. There is no doubt in all of our minds that these films have a longevity, that they will be watched 60 years from now."

Not that Jackson and his talented team at the state-of-the-art facilities in suburban Miramar haven't already achieved feats that are nearly as legendary as those of his mythic heroes. The first two Rings films have collected a total of 19 Oscar nominations and won six. Together, they've grossed more than $1.8 billion worldwide, becoming the most successful fantasy series since Star Wars. Also, last year marked the first time since 1974's The Godfather: Part II that a sequel to a best-picture nominee also was selected as a contender.

And, apologies to Titanic's James Cameron, Jackson already is king of the world of directors in terms of salary and clout. Not only has he built his own filmmaking empire an ocean away from any Hollywood meddling. His next project is a dream come true, a retelling of the great-ape classic that inspired him to become a filmmaker, 1933's King Kong. At minimum, he'll be paid a record-high $20 million upfront for the privilege. That's beyond even Spielberg bucks.

A 'Rings' toss at top Oscar

Taylor and his fellow effects masters at Weta (pronounced WET-a and named for a near-indestructible insect) have been justly rewarded for their groundbreaking work with Oscars for both Fellowship and Towers. But there's a feeling that exists not just here in "Wellywood," where the director is a local hero and major employer, but in Hollywood, that academy members are saving the ultimate honors for the last Rings hurrah.

There is no guarantee, especially when several other grand-scale epics, including war dramas The Alamo and The LastSamurai as well as the seafaring Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World, will be in the running this year.

Then there is the odd grudge that Oscar voters apparently hold against sci-fi and fantasy. While a few genre titles such as 1939's The Wizard ofOz and 1977's Star Wars have competed for best picture, none has ever won. It's as if entertaining somehow equals frivolous.

"It's a shame, isn't it," Taylor says. Jackson's lack of glad-handing last year probably contributed to him being overlooked in the directing category. "There's no doubt that Pete must be disappointed. But I am fairly close to him and he has shown no sign of being disheartened. He is a bigger person and more of a gentleman than that."

However, New Line Cinema, the studio behind Rings, has gotten the message: Although the academy obviously admires the results, it most likely considers the trilogy to be an effects showcase rather than an emotional journey and an acting tour-de-force.

So rather than focus on such digital hocus-pocus as Gollum, the hissing computerized goblin inspired by actor Andy Serkis' behind-the-scenes performance, it's time to play up the human element and the intimate encounters.

As Jackson describes the main objective behind this year's extra shooting, "We're tending to look at scenes that we already did the first time around and make the character moments more powerful."

That could lead to the cast receiving more consideration, too. Only Ian McKellen as wise wizard Gandalf, a supporting nominee for Fellowship, has caught Oscar's eye.

Bernard Hill, who plays King Theoden, thinks Sean Astin's Sam, Frodo's steadfast companion, might get noticed. "That's such a hard role, being the lower-case buddy to the upper-case hero," he says. "But he's got it just right."

Mortensen, who could very well be nominated as best actor for his intensely soulful emoting, is pleased with the shift in emphasis. "The special effects have really been top level, but the human relationships are going to hold up much longer than any effects."

That is why Hill and Karl Urban as nephew Eomir have remounted their steeds in full war regalia to lead Rohan horsemen once more into battle. In front of an outdoor blue screen that will be filled in later with backgrounds, the pair pose for close-ups, shouting, "They flee, they flee" and "Drive them to the river, drown them like rats."

"Pete said today that one of the things we learned from Helm's Deep was that we needed to go in on the heroes," says Hill, the British character actor best known as the doomed captain in Titanic. "So we've isolated moments that tell the story of the battle, but do it through the hero characters."

However, few have delusions of grandeur as part of a huge ensemble. New Zealand native Urban, for one, knows his place. "My profession is orc killer," referring to the evil race that serves as Sauron's army. That equals "screaming, fighting and rallying the troops."

Goodbye elves, hello ape

There is much more work left to be done on the technical side that will continue well into September. But the end is indeed in sight, a fact punctuated by farewell parties where tears mingle with champagne bubbles each time the lead actors wrap their scenes.

"It's incredibly sad when we say goodbye to the actors," Jackson says. "There's a finality to it."

Adds Mortensen, "Everybody on the cast and crew pretty much wear their hearts on their sleeves. They're unabashedly sentimental about how it's coming to an end."

But the Peter Jackson story continues as another King — as in Kong —looms. Taylor's department has invested four months into designing clay models of apes and dinosaurs for the Christmas 2005 release. The remake will take place during the same '30s era as the original, but no definitive word yet on whether the monster gorilla will be a totally digital creature.

With Jackson still focused on the trilogy, "We actually haven't had one single meeting yet about how we will technically achieve what is ahead of us," Taylor says.

Alex Funke, the visual effects director of photography for the miniature unit, and the detail-obsessed creators of backdrops are itching to monkey with a replica of the Empire State Building. "The crew is saying, 'Hey, when we get to New York, I've got a great idea on how to light the skyscrapers.' One of my electricians is already hunting for little light bulbs."

And from little bulbs, big ideas sprout.
Old 09-30-2003, 11:19 PM   #21
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

I haven't anticipated a movie like this in a while. It had better be good.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2003, 11:34 PM   #22
Murphy3
Guru

there's no way that it won't be good...
interesting note...the lowest rated peter Jackson movie on rottentomatoes.com received a 70% rating..meaning 70% of the critics gave it good reviews or better
Old 10-19-2003, 04:48 PM   #23
Murphy3
Guru

Default RE:RETURN OF THE KING TRAILER-GREATNESS

after seeing the trailer for the third time this weekend, I can honestly say that I believe that ROTK will be far be the most emotionally trying movie of them all.

i simply cannot wait
Old 10-19-2003, 07:00 PM   #24
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Saw the trailer for the 1st time yesterday. It did look very good. Hopefully the actual movie will live up the the full promise of the trailer.
Old 10-19-2003, 07:03 PM   #25
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by: LRB
Saw the trailer for the 1st time yesterday. It did look very good. Hopefully the actual movie will live up the the full promise of the trailer.
the first two did..don't know why this one wouldn't
Old 10-19-2003, 08:14 PM   #26
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally posted by: Murphy3
Quote:
Originally posted by: LRB
the first two did..don't know why this one wouldn't

Murph ROTK lots to be the best of the trio, but you can't tell if it will be for sure by looking at the previous two. Yeah it will probably be good since the other two were, but will it live up to all the promise of the trailer and be head and shoulders over the other two? I certainly hope so.
Old 10-20-2003, 01:42 AM   #27
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

That movie is going to be so awesome. Im looking forward to seeing it as much as I am to seeing the Mavs being 18-5 then [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

It was seriously the best book of the trilogy (and the Hobbit) so the movie should be incredible
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 08:03 PM   #28
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The highlight of the closer, which the director confirms could run longer than the three-hour length of its predecessors, is the thunderous clash at Pelennor Fields. The fierce faceoff between the good citizens of Middle-earth and the dark forces of Lord Sauron promises to make the skirmish of Helm's Deep in The Two Towers look like a hobbit family picnic.
Woohoo! That's gotta get you excited.

I hope when it comes time for the Oscars, the Academy considers the project as a whole, instead of treating the third movie as part three of a trilogy. In fact, the book was never supposed to be a trilogy in the first place, Tolkien would've much preferred that it be sold as a single book, but the publishers wouldn't have it.

I don't know if it has a chance to break the "sci-fi" barrier, but how awesome would that be?

Edited for typo

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote