Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 06-10-2003, 05:36 PM   #1
Ummmmm Ok
Platinum Member

Ummmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to all
Default How about the players that Mavs could have got!!!

Strictly going with our first pick and what we COULD have gotten:

1993: We got Jamal Mashburn - Pretty good pick

1994: We got Jason Kidd - Pretty good pick

1995: We got Cherokee Parks - Really lousy pick. We could have gotten Brent Barry, Finley, Sura, or Ratliff.

1996: Samaki Walker - Lousy pick. We could have gotten Kobe, Peja, Nash, Jermaine Oneil, or Dampier.

1997: Kevin Cato - Average Pick. We could have gotten Pollard or Bobby Jackson.

1998: Dirk Nowitzki - Role Player pick [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

1999: Wang Zhi-Zhi - Average/Lousy pick. We could have gotten Todd MacCulloch or Emmanuel Ginobili.

2000: Etan Thomas - Lousy pick. We could have gotten Turkoglu, Mason, Q rich, or Mo Pete.

2001: Kyle Hill - Another Lousy pick. Wasn't much to pick from with the 44 but we could have gotten Ruben Boumtje Boumtje.

2002: Mladen Sekularac - Pick yet to be determined. But we could have gotten the highly scouted Scola or Oggy.

So with this, if we would have kept the team together and done no trades:

PG: Kidd, Bobby Jackson
SG: Finley, Mashburn
SF: Mason, Ginobili, Oggy
PF: Dirk, Ruben Boumtje Boumtje
C: Jermaine Oneil

Not a bad team [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] We could have easily resigned Buckner, kept Harvey, and Alexander.

Too many leaders act as if the sheep.. their people.. are there for the benefit of the shepherd, not that the shepherd has responsibility for the sheep. Ken Blanchard

What we think determines what happens to us, so if we want to change our lives, we need to stretch our minds. Wayne Dyer

These are things that I read and live by!
Ummmmm Ok is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-2003, 05:40 PM   #2
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

But had we made all of those picks, there's no way we would be able to retain the next years pick. We would draft lower and lower until eventually all of our picks would be the late 20s.
Old 06-10-2003, 05:44 PM   #3
Ummmmm Ok
Platinum Member

Ummmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to all
Default RE: How about the players that Mavs could have got!!!

Hey you.....this is my fantasy here okay..... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Too many leaders act as if the sheep.. their people.. are there for the benefit of the shepherd, not that the shepherd has responsibility for the sheep. Ken Blanchard

What we think determines what happens to us, so if we want to change our lives, we need to stretch our minds. Wayne Dyer

Old 06-10-2003, 05:53 PM   #4
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

Ummmm, I love you like a brother, so don't take this the wrong way. But as soon as someone shows me a team that drafts this well consistently, I will care.

BTW, Kobe told every team that would listen that if any team but the Lakers picked him, he was going to go play in Europe. Whether he meant it or not, who knows. But some teams apparantly believed him.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2003, 05:59 PM   #5
Ummmmm Ok
Platinum Member

Hey I was bored......Sue me... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Besides I was trying to bring up the level of the board a little with some old draft talk and maybe start a good discussion. *shrugs* But you will have to admit from 1995 to now and take out the Dirk pick, our Draft picks have just plain sucked ass.

p.s. Dooby I will give you a wedgie later to make ya feel better bro!!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 06-10-2003, 06:18 PM   #6
hero = dirk

hero = dirk is on a distinguished road

that's interesting info... what coulda happened? who knows... it's really fun to think abt though. wow, kobe and dirk? that woulda been cool.

Muhahahaha...
hero = dirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2003, 06:21 PM   #7
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

Kobe and Dirk = Kobe, and that tall white guy who Kobe doesn't pass to.

I agree with you, UMmmmmm OK, we have sucked absolute ass at drafting the last few years. We've got to get some young/athletic help this go around.
Old 06-10-2003, 08:44 PM   #8
Mandyahl
Diamond Member

Mandyahl will become famous soon enoughMandyahl will become famous soon enough

it will be interesting to see what we do this year...maybe we will improve upon our track record. i doubt it though!
Old 06-10-2003, 10:28 PM   #9
Fidel
Diamond Member

Fidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to behold

1996 looks really bad. But two of the guys were highschoolers. One took about 5 years to pan out, the other said only the Lakers were allowed to draft him or he´d cry all year long. We probably should have taken Peja (of course I´d take JO over Peja now, but realisticly JO was much tougher to figure out in 1996 then Peja. I mean even the team that drafted him gave up on JO before he came around).
Fidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2003, 10:42 PM   #10
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

mavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of light

How did we get Donnell Harvey?
Old 06-10-2003, 11:20 PM   #11
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Didn't we just swap picks with NY? They originally drafted Harvey and I believe we drafted Pete Mickeal (I believe that was his name).

--edit--

Mickeal was a 2nd round pick, #58, so...that couldn't have been a swap straight up??
Old 06-10-2003, 11:39 PM   #12
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: mavsfanforever
A Mavs fan forever, eh? I guess that's a prospective title.

Harvey's draft rights were traded by the Knicks (after he was drafted at No. 22) along with John Wallace to the Mavericks for Erick Strickland and the rights to Pete Mickeal (the No. 58 pick).
Old 06-10-2003, 11:43 PM   #13
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

mavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally posted by: kg_veteran
Quote:
A Mavs fan forever, eh? I guess that's a prospective title.

Harvey's draft rights were traded by the Knicks (after he was drafted at No. 22) along with John Wallace to the Mavericks for Erick Strickland and the rights to Pete Mickeal (the No. 58 pick).
No the name is deceptive. I have not been an fan for very long.

Does anyone have the list of Draft picks at #29 in the last 7 or 8 years. I am trying to find that.

Old 06-11-2003, 09:30 AM   #14
Simon2
Diamond Member

Simon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to all

What is ZhiZhi doing these days? Too bad, he would have flourished in the Mavs system.
Old 06-11-2003, 09:41 AM   #15
signoftimes

signoftimes is on a distinguished road

Wang played with the Clippers last year. They made an offer that mavs didn't match. Wang refused to go home an play foor his national team. Since he didn't honor his commitment to China, we didn't want to strain our relatonship with China, so we didn't match his offer sheet.
signoftimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2003, 10:06 AM   #16
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally posted by: Simon2
What is ZhiZhi doing these days? Too bad, he would have flourished in the Mavs system.

perhaps, perhaps not. much of his game was dependent on the defenses collapsing on other players. he wasnt that good of a rebounder or defensive player.

that said, maybe he would have flourished in the mavs system. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2003, 10:33 AM   #17
slowmo

slowmo is just really niceslowmo is just really niceslowmo is just really niceslowmo is just really niceslowmo is just really niceslowmo is just really niceslowmo is just really nice

1995: We got Cherokee Parks - Really lousy pick. We could have gotten Brent Barry, Finley, Sura, or Ratliff.

1996: Samaki Walker - Lousy pick. We could have gotten Kobe, Peja, Nash, Jermaine Oneil, or Dampier

Just remember that Nash and Finley were backups in Phoenix! They only became important when we traded Kidd and they were forced into being starters here. They sucked when they first started here also. It just took time to feel comfortable here. I suspect the same will happen if we stay with the 29th pick. Nothing to write home about for the first few years. By then Nellie will have given up on him and trade him to another team as we usually do with our picks. NELLIE DOES NOT LIKE TO PLAY ROOKIES!!!
That is what we are up against. Nellie is hit or miss with drafting. This year we cannot afford another project. Get us a 3 and 5 that we can play substantial minutes every game be it free agent or draft or both!
Old 06-11-2003, 01:30 PM   #18
OutletPass
Diamond Member

OutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really nice

Coulda, shoulda, woulda....

Can we please move on.

At least we'll see mavskiki soon !!!!!
Old 06-11-2003, 01:36 PM   #19
Lonely PSU Mavs Fan

Lonely PSU Mavs Fan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Does anyone have the list of Draft picks at #29 in the last 7 or 8 years. I am trying to find that.
try this, i posted it elsewhere also: Past NBA Drafts